Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Can A Software Engineer Be Like Every Other Entrepreneur - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Can A Software Engineer Be Like Every Other Entrepreneur (1246 Views)

Which Is A Better Title: Software Developer Or Software Engineer / Nigerian Software Engineer given test to prove he is an engineer at JFK Airport / OAU Engineering Students Build 'HUMANE' A Software For The Visually-impaired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Software Engineer Be Like Every Other Entrepreneur by Tundellinium(m): 11:26am On Jan 09, 2016
Guys, there's a part of me that wants to go for software development not as a career but more or less like a skill that I can use to be self employed like every other entrepreneur and SMEs out there doing one thing or the other to keep themselves busy apart from their certificate.

Some people told me that its not a worthwhile skill to acquire, please can you enlighten a brother?
Re: Can A Software Engineer Be Like Every Other Entrepreneur by omoelu1(m): 9:45pm On Jan 09, 2016
From the little I know, it is a worthwhile skill anyday anytime.
However, the entrepreneurial and the technology roles are two different worlds entirely apart.
They are both skills you have to acquire separately (and maybe independently).
You might be the best programmer with the best skills, but if you do not have the business skill to sell and market yourself, it will be very difficult for you to survive in the marketplace.
Combining the two seem slightly difficult, because I think they are the two ends of a rope -
the techy part tends to want to make you a bit "anti-social", but the business part requires you to be very much social.
In the end, they are both very rewarding.

my2naira

3 Likes

Re: Can A Software Engineer Be Like Every Other Entrepreneur by Tundellinium(m): 1:52pm On Jan 10, 2016
omoelu1:
From the little I know, it is a worthwhile skill anyday anytime.
However, the entrepreneurial and the technology roles are two different worlds entirely apart.
They are both skills you have to acquire separately (and maybe independently).
You might be the best programmer with the best skills, but if you do not have the business skill to sell and market yourself, it will be very difficult for you to survive in the marketplace.
Combining the two seem slightly difficult, because I think they are the two ends of a rope -
the techy part tends to want to make you a bit "anti-social", but the business part requires you to be very much social.
In the end, they are both very rewarding.

my2naira

Thanks for sharing your opinion
Re: Can A Software Engineer Be Like Every Other Entrepreneur by 9janinja(m): 8:56pm On Jan 24, 2016
Yes u can ,it all depends on wat ur interest is ....gudluck

(1) (Reply)

Complete Java Tutorial / Latest Airtel Free Tweak For 5gb / Outdated content (Removed)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.