Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,119 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. (9190 Views)

Apc’s Lawyer Beaten, Arrested And Car Impounded At Enugu Governorship Tribunal / Bomb Blast At Kano Motorpark Leaves Many Dead (Graphic Photos) / Pictures Of The Contents Of The Russian Plane Impounded At Kano Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by georgecso(m): 12:05pm On Jun 18, 2009
Nigeria holds Ukraine arms plane

A Ukrainian aircraft reported to be carrying crates of weapons has been detained in Nigeria.

It had made an emergency landing in the northern Nigerian city of Kano while on a flight to Equatorial Guinea.

Nigerian security officials say 18 crates with mines and ammunition were on board, but there are no details of exactly who the cargo was destined for.

The three crew members, reported to be Ukrainian, are being questioned, but few details other have been released.

BBC reporter Mustafa Mohamed, in Kano, says the aircraft was placed under guard, and security forces are continuing their investigations.

It is believed the plane made the emergency landing because of a technical fault.

Attack on palace

Earlier this year, the authorities in Equatorial Guinea arrested a number of people in connection with an attack on the presidential palace in the capital, Malabo.

A the time of the incident, in February, state radio in Equatorial Guinea said that those detained had been operating with other members of a rebel group based in Nigeria's Niger Delta region.

It said some of those who attacked the palace had been killed or wounded.

Rebels of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (Mend) denied involvement.

The Equatorial Guinea President, Teodoro Obiang Nguema, later dismissed several government ministers.

The president has been in power in the oil-rich former Spanish colony since seizing power in a coup in 1979.

His government has long been accused of human rights abuses and of suppressing political opposition.

Last year, a former British army officer, Simon Mann, was sentenced to 34 years in jail for plotting to overthrow him in 2004.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by ElRazur: 12:09pm On Jun 18, 2009
presido1:

Elrazur

Slow your rolls b4 you wound yourself. Is anybody fighting with you? Calling everybody idiot makes you no better person dude.
Comment on the topic at hand and leave others to their opinion.
The highlighted is the crux of the whole matter. Is the Clearing Agent from EG or nigeria and which Clearing Company is he working for. If actually a plane was impounded it has nothing to do with ND. How did they communicate the agent since they landed cuz of tech Issue.
Its either the arms are meant for the north or the report is a hoax.

There is nothing to slow. I never called everybody an idiot. That would be wrong. I asked if a select few if they are stupid etc. If someone do not really know the difference between east and west, then they should not be making contribution in the politics section in my opinion. I believe in getting the facts right before passing such comments [i.e west,east, white or black] as these things are potentially explosive.

As for the report at hand. I have stated that all we can assume as being close to fact is that a plane with weapons is on Nigeria soil. The original link is a poor form of journalism to be honest .
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by chukxy44(m): 12:13pm On Jun 18, 2009
wow !! am speachless

Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by SamMilla1(m): 12:15pm On Jun 18, 2009
ElRazur:

Are you stupid? How is UKRAINE the WEST? Funny enough, other stupid people have jumped on the band wagon agreeing with you.

If you cannot differentiate between WEST and EAST then you and others should not be commenting on news like this.

Finally, there is no single proof that this is meant for Niger Delta. Other than what what reported. For all we know, it could be bullshi.t.

First of all, shut up, Every European country is referred to as west, not geographically though,

@topic,

The Alhajis who caught the airplane can say whatever they want, the could be for themselves for all i care,

the plane had a technical problems my foot,
so the equatorial guinea gives MEND landing spaces,
what are the Nig Govt doing about that? why wont they fight the fight from the top by warning EQ.G,

They should beware how they handle the Russian prisoners though, those guys carry cynides in their mouth.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by OYBMEND: 12:17pm On Jun 18, 2009
Elrazur

You are just being annoying to be honest

The fragility of this country is only remembered when you demand that issues of this nature should be investigated and exposed.
This is not just a plane with weapons landing on our soil.
This is a plane from a country with a notorious reputation of selling weapons to various armed groups in Nigeria landing in a state where the Government of that state runs an illegal police force that carry live arms and use it to intimidate their own people.

If that is not a source of concern to you, it is to me. If you honestly believe that our country is fragile then tell that to those running illegal police contrary to the provisions of the constitution.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by drlokobi7: 12:22pm On Jun 18, 2009
Nigerians don't u knw that the North's are preparing their own MILITANTS CALL AREWA MILITANT,U JST WATCH OUT.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by ElRazur: 12:27pm On Jun 18, 2009
Sam Milla:

First of all, shut up, Every European country is referred to as west, not geographically though,

@topic,

The Alhajis who caught the airplane can say whatever they want, the could be for themselves for all i care,

the plane had a technical problems my foot,
so the equatorial guinea gives MEND landing spaces,
what are the Nig Govt doing about that? why wont they fight the fight from the top by warning EQ.G,

They should beware how they handle the Russian prisoners though, those guys carry cynides in their mouth.

Yeah I am shutting up. Oh wait am still talking. smiley Dude Ukraine is not the west. Period.

Why are you disregarding the reports and wanting your view to be the official view? Your views are nothing other than speculations.

As for carrying cyanide. Dude the cold war finished years back you know.

OYB_MEND:

Elrazur

You are just being annoying to be honest

The fragility of this country is only remembered when you demand that issues of this nature should be investigated and exposed.
This is not just a plane with weapons landing on our soil.
This is a plane from a country with a notorious reputation of selling weapons to various armed groups in Nigeria landing in a state where the Government of that state runs an illegal police force that carry live arms and use it to intimidate their own people.

If that is not a source of concern to you, it is to me. If you honestly believe that our country is fragile then tell that to those running illegal police contrary to the provisions of the constitution.

I am not annoying. I just refuse to jump on band wagon without first examining the facts at hand.

I have no problem with investigating the matter. What I have a problem with is the Nigeria press. Here is the bigger picture - If the folks who posted here are supposed to be more enlightened than Nigerians who dont use computer or internet, yet these people are quick to point fingers and make speculative claims based on poor reports etc. Can you imagine the impact this would make in real life?

If people cannot differentiate between west and east, what is stopping them from saying "The America imperialism have a part to play in all of these?"

Just read the comments from this thread. How many are speculative and presented as "Facts"?
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by 4Play(m): 12:32pm On Jun 18, 2009
I have to review my understanding of geography. Didn't know Ukrainians were Westerners. embarassed
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by jimmysho(m): 12:35pm On Jun 18, 2009
elrazur or what do u call urself,

ElRazur:

Another stupid comment. Where is the conclusive proof? If you have no doubt whatsoever, where is the proof to this?

It sucks when your average Nigerian cant think. To imagine people like you may end up holding a public office is scary.

ve been watching ur contribution all these while on this forum and ve finally got where u are from and discovered ur root.
u are one of the stupid nigerian that do not see beyound tribal links.

u are always fast to condem MEND

now, u are asking us to allow conclusive investigation before we begin to conclude that the weapons belongs to ur northern folks.

stop hiding! we all know BCR to be an ODUA to the bone

u are a mother fucker.

am sorry, fellow nairalander this guy deserved to be yanked and banished from this forum
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by OYBMEND: 12:36pm On Jun 18, 2009
Just as you have the right to be non-challant about issues like this, others have the right to be alarmed

on the issue of Ukraine being West, yes Ukraine can not be classed as a Western Country as the West constitutes West Europe and the Americas

But recently folks tend to mistakenly describe all of Europe as part of the West

Someone making that minor error does not mean the person is dumb and should not post on NL
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by ElRazur: 12:37pm On Jun 18, 2009
jimmysho:

elrazur or what do u call urself,

ve been watching ur contribution all these while on this forum and ve finally got where u are from and discovered ur root.
u are one of the stupid nigerian that do not see beyound tribal links.

u are always fast to condem MEND

now, u are asking us to allow conclusive investigation before we begin to conclude that the weapons belongs to ur northern folks.

stop hiding! we all know BCR to be an ODUA to the bone

u are a mother fucker.

am sorry, fellow nairalander this guy deserved to be yanked and banished from this forum

I have mentioned that there isn't a link between this weapons found and mend. I think you may have missed that.  

I have no alliance to any group or race. Apart from that of the human race.

Thanks dawg. smiley
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by ElRazur: 12:40pm On Jun 18, 2009
OYB_MEND:

Just as you have the right to be non-challant about issues like this, others have the right to be alarmed

on the issue of Ukraine being West, yes Ukraine can not be classed as a Western Country as the West constitutes West Europe and the Americas

But recently folks tend to mistakenly describe all of Europe as part of the West

Someone making that minor error does not mean the person is dumb and should not post on NL

Say what? Recently people have been callimg BMW "Be my Wife" in auto section. I wonder if you will take their knowledge of auto serious. lmao.

Look, in a debate using specific word wrong can give a bad outcome. It is similar to those who work as translators, they have to get it right. Am afraid, blaming the west for something they have nothing to do with is just silly.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by jimmysho(m): 12:40pm On Jun 18, 2009
let stop discussing geography here. it is a diversionary motive by ELRAZUR.

the shipment belong to the kano pple and their ulamars for suppression of non hausas and making their jihadists to ve access to sophisticated weapons when carryin out their massacres
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by ElRazur: 12:43pm On Jun 18, 2009
jimmysho:

let stop discussing geography here. it is a diversionary motive by ELRAZUR.

the shipment belong to the kano pple and their ulamars for suppression of non hausas and making their jihadists to ve access to sophisticated weapons when carryin out their massacres

Where is the proof?

First it was the west arming Africans and using our land as a dumping field.

Then mend was blamed even though there isnt a link

Then now it is the mullah wanting to rule Nigeria or something along those lines.

Why are we quick to present speculations as facts?

Oga o. undecided
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by Afam(m): 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2009
You guys should learn to ignore this ElRazur guy.

He is a complete mumu.

He comes to the table with stiff mindsets and is ready to abuse or insult anyone that does not expressly agree with his positions no matter how warped his sense of reasoning is.

He believes that by insulting others he will have his way in debates.

This is one good example of "half knowledge is dangerous".

Sometimes, dictatorship makes sense as deleting this guy's username would do a lot of good on any section he uses.

@topic,

What on earth would a clearing agent be doing on the location if not to clear the goods? This is common sense question but as they say common sense no common at all at all.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by argent(f): 1:04pm On Jun 18, 2009
The flight was meant to only land in kano for refuelling (what is referred to as a technical stop), but because the handling agent refused to part with N500 or thereabout to the customs official on duty at that time, they decided to call the SSS to look inside the aircarft and the rest is what we are reading in the papers.

The point is that many flight carrying ammunition come to nigeria almost on daily basis, this is only in the news because the handling agent refused to bribe the customs on duty at the tarmac.
The entire nigerain system is corrupt.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by ElRazur: 1:09pm On Jun 18, 2009
argent:

The flight was meant to only land in kano for refuelling (what is referred to as a technical stop), but because the handling agent refused to part with N500 or thereabout to the customs official on duty at that time, they decided to call the SSS to look inside the aircarft and the rest is what we are reading in the papers.

The point is that many flight carrying ammunition come to nigeria almost on daily basis, this is only in the news because the handling agent refused to bribe the customs on duty at the tarmac.

Thank you. A breathe of fresh air.

@Afam. I didnt know you can be this bitter. grin
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by omooloye1(f): 1:10pm On Jun 18, 2009
Our Northern brothers are becoming civilised oh!
They are gradually abandoning the use of clubs
arrows and spears grin grin grin grin

Seriously, this is not a funny matter.May God
deliver us from greedy and blood-thirsty people
who are ready to shed innocent blood in order
to fulfill thier over-ambitious desires.

I don't beleive that crap about MEND, it's just
a way of diverting our attention away from the
truth.Nigerians should expect the worst from
Kano,they've been anti-Nigeria for as long as
I can remember
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by debosky(m): 1:16pm On Jun 18, 2009
As has been mentioned, the weapons were destined for Equatorial Guinea and not meant to be used by Kano State or any Nigerian entity. This was also inferred by the BBC:

It had made an emergency landing in the northern Nigerian city of Kano while on a flight to Equatorial Guinea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8106348.stm

Granted the issue should be investigated thoroughly and conclusively, the speculations here leave a lot to be desired. Yes people have malevolent intentions in Nigeria, but not every incident can be linked to those intentions.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by GeorgeD1(m): 1:20pm On Jun 18, 2009
Lets allow them to carry out investigation first before we jump to concusions
and start attacking each other.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by ElRazur: 1:25pm On Jun 18, 2009
debosky:

As has been mentioned, the weapons were destined for Equatorial Guinea and not meant to be used by Kano State or any Nigerian entity. This was also inferred by the BBC:

Granted the issue should be investigated thoroughly and conclusively, the speculations here leave a lot to be desired. Yes people have malevolent intentions in Nigeria, but not every incident can be linked to those intentions.

Thank you. Another breathe of fresh air.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 18, 2009
As if investigations amount to much in Nigeria

they will surely sweep it under the mat.

meanwhile, I was not expecting a cargo plane illegally shipping arms to Nigeria to agree that actually the arms were for Nigeria when they are caught
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by ElRazur: 1:26pm On Jun 18, 2009
George_D:

Lets allow them to carry out investigation first before we jump to concusions
and start attacking each other.

Finally, people with simple logic and common sense are coming out. Thank you for that too. smiley
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by argent(f): 1:37pm On Jun 18, 2009
debosky:

Yes, the flight was going to malabo in equitoral guinea, if you check the world map you will see that calabar shares a boundary with malabo.
The intention was to get the ammunitions to malabo and transport it back to calabar for distribution. It only takes three days to get to calabar from malabo with a canoe.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 18, 2009
debosky:

BBC did not say the flight was destined for Equatorial Guinea, BBC only quoted those who said the flight was destined for Equatorial Guinea

those are two different things

A Ukrainian aircraft reported to be carrying crates of weapons has been detained in Nigeria.

Nigerian security officials say 18 crates with mines and ammunition were on board, but there are no details of exactly who the cargo was destined for.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by asha80(m): 1:44pm On Jun 18, 2009
argent:

Yes, the flig[b]The intention was to get the ammunitions to malabo and transport it back to calabar for distribution[/b]ht was going to malabo in equitoral guinea, if you check the world map you will see that calabar shares a boundary with malabo.
. It only takes three days to get to calabar from malabo with a canoe.

Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jun 18, 2009
has anyone thought that if the arms were for kano, the person importing would not have settled everyone on ground. its arms we're talking about here not apples. i believe those on ground would have been settled had it been for kano state gov. i doubt its for kano or mend.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by debosky(m): 1:52pm On Jun 18, 2009
mikeansy:

BBC did not say the flight was destined for Equatorial Guinea, BBC only quoted those who said the flight was destined for Equatorial Guinea

those are two different things

Thanks for the clarification. Again - there is no evidence (so far) showing there is Nigerian involvement in the arms deal beyond the plane landing in Kano.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by ziga: 2:09pm On Jun 18, 2009
argent:

Your post caught my eye, and i have a few questions.

Do you work with the Nigerian customs, SSS or the Kano airport?

Are these mere speculations?

Please enlighten me.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by presido1: 2:11pm On Jun 18, 2009
argent:

Who is the handling agent? is he/she in the flight? and when did handling agents become crew member.  I don't believe custom officers still take bribe of N500 in any of our border even seme border. Is it the duty of SSS or Custom to search?. There is more to this news that we don't know and we will never know.
At the moment everybody is speculating and it will all end in speculation.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by kshow1(m): 2:16pm On Jun 18, 2009
Whether its meant for MEND or Hisbau, the fact that arms are inflitrating into the country should be enough concern for the government.
Re: Plane Load Of Arms Impounded At Kano Airport. by presido1: 2:19pm On Jun 18, 2009
kshow1:

Whether its meant for MEND or Hisbau, the fact that arms are inflitrating into the country should be enough concern for the government.
Dude we don't have such Government that care about the country and citizens.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Funny: Channels TV Interviews NSCDC Commandant / Reps Task FG On Installation Of Landing Facilities At Margaret Ekpo Int Airport / Oshiomhole Eulogizes Uzodimma, Praises Buhari For Supporting APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.