Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,721 members, 7,813,377 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:30 AM

Awolowo's Treason Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo's Treason Trial (4621 Views)

Daily Mail: Pro-biafran Leader Missing On Eve Of Treason Trial / Awolowo Treason Sentence / Awolowo's Treason Conviction Secured By One Of His Loyalists Betrayal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awolowo's Treason Trial by APCLyingBastard: 10:35am On Jan 10, 2016
Awolowo was the first to consider a coup in Nigeria.

Awolowo was convicted for treason and was serving his sentence at Calabar prison before the Jan. 15 Coup.

Awolowo will stand trail alongside 23 others including Enaharo.

Enaharo will later escape to Ghana and confess that indeed there was a plot to by the AG led by Awolowo to form a militia to overthrow the govt.

Soyinka was deported to Nigeria by the UK govt to stand trial alongside Awolowo for attempting to overthrow the govt.

The SW political class lobbied the military to overthrow the NPC govt.

Awolowo was held in high esteem by the likes of Nzeagwu .

The Majors had planned to release Awolowo and prop him up as national president .

Nzeagwu like most of his pairs in the Nigerian army officer cadre where university graduates with known leftist tendencies.

The likes of Ifeanjuwa was a graduate of the University of Ibadan who will later join the Army after the British began the Nigerization of the military.

Ifeanjuwa met Wole Soyinka in Ibadan.

The Pyrates Confratenity was formed not as a university society but as a leftist recruiting base.

The likes of Ifeanjuwa got radicalized with leftist ideology on campus.

Maj.Gen Ironsi once complained to a close confidant that he asked for soldeirs and they gave him politicians in army uniform.

This was in response to the increasing partisan nature the newly commissioned university graduate officers like Nzeagwu openly condemned the govt.

Emeka Ojukwu was a member of the UK communist party which he joined when studying at Oxford .

Emeka Ojukwu returned to Nigeria and enlisted as an NCO in the army before the Nigerization policy of the British.

Emeka Ojukwu enlisted as a conscript because he felt as a native he will be effective staging a mutiny against the colonial govt not as an officer but as an enlisted man.

Ojukwu was considered dangerous by the US govt because of his communist leanings. This is why they never supported Biafra.

Leftist ideology was what led to the disaster of the civil war.

Ojukwu was never interested in Biafra but to govern Nigeria as it's central govt.

The Ibos pre-1966 where more open to one Nigeria than they are now.

The counter coup of July, 1966 changed all that.

The north never wanted a central govt and have always opposed any form of intrusion into their highly ultra conservative society by the trousered natives to the south.

The Nationalization decree which turned Nigeria from a republic to a federation of states under a powerful head of state was opposed by the north.

In so many ways, the south caused the problems we face now.

Rather than Zik and Awolowo to swallow their pride and get a coalition going , these two men will struggle to play second fiddle to the north.

The NPC (Northern People's Congress) was unapologetically a regional party as their names implied and they never even bothered to field any candidate in the south.

In 1953 after the NPC parliamenters staged a walkout after Enaharo brought up the motion of independence, they were stoned and insulted the next day by hired Lagos thugs.

A week later the western region Action Group (AG) decided to hold a party rally in the north. The north repaid them back in their wn coin and had the crowd stone them. The skirmish will later escalate to killing innocent Christians and southerners (mainly Ibos) by the almajiri mob.

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by APCLyingBastard: 11:07am On Jan 10, 2016
The man Awolowo will later be released from prison by the Gowon govt to which he willingly served under.

Compared to his peers (Zik, Bello and Belewa) this was to say the least shameless.

Awolowo serving under Gowon was akin to a lord of a manor being deposed by his security guard only for the guard to later engage the lord as his butler.

It doesn't stop there....

Awolowo will later play the most reprehensible and slanderous opposition to another civilian govt.

The coup plotters got Awolowo's blessing after they toppled Shagari.

When it became clear that he had been duped by the Buhari regime and left out in the cold, the same Awolowo will throw his weight and support for IBB.

Babangida knew better and during his regime kept close surveillance on Awolowo as he knew very well that Awolowo's burning ambition to rule Nigeria made him a potential enemy.

Just like back in 1962, the IBB govt was able to get a mole into Awolowo's inner circle from where he was informed of a coup plot in the making by Awolowo.

Awolowo can thus be singled out as one of the main corrupting influences in Nigeria.

The likes of the Sarduna championed the ultra conservative northern culture and it's isolation. Zik was a pragmatic politician seeking political solutions (even though flawed) for political hurdles he encountered. But Awolowo on the other hand was quick to resort to extra criminal measures to consolidate his power base and lust. This is evident on the lingering crisis in western Nigeria under Awolowo after indepence and the successive coup attempts and uprisings that he gave his blessings.

The man was a snake .

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by APCLyingBastard: 11:13am On Jan 10, 2016
THE SENTENCE

The Trial Judge Mr. Sowemimo speaks:

“….Whatever others may say, this is my personal view. I am not speaking as a judge but as a Nigerian. Here we have one of the first Premiers of the autonomous region standing trial. If you were the only one before me, I would have felt that it was enough for you to have undergone the strain of the trial. I would have asked you to go. But I am sorry, I cannot do so now because my hands are tied. Having sentenced those young chaps whatever happens I have to pass some sort of sentence. If I made up my mind to sentence the other accused persons who I find were tools in the hands of others, and if my conclusion is right, it is for me to see that a punishment by me in my court is such that others would see that there is no preferential treatment.

I do not see what useful purpose a sentence of imprisonment will do to you, but I have come to the conclusion that these things emanate from you. To get yourself involved in this thing is enough shame. But this is a political crime. There are things which one may never know. All I know is what is before me and I am bound by the evidence. You mentioned about the delay in giving judgement, but I wish you were in my position and had to read some of these things – the evidence which was about 800 pages and the notes of submissions also about 600 pages. I was never hoping or thinking that I would be called upon to try a former Head of Government and Leader of Opposition. I am only happy that this is a court of first instance. ”

At the conclusion of the speech by Justice Sowemimo, Chief Awolowo was sentenced as follows:
1st Count – 10 years I.H.L (Imprisonment with Hard Labour) Treasonable felony, contrary to Section 41(b) of the Criminal Code.
2nd Count – 5 years I.H.L (Imprisonment with Hard Labour) Conspiracy to commit a felony, contrary to Section 516 of the Criminal Code.
3rd Count – 2 years I.H.L (Imprisonment with Hard Labour) Conspiracy to effect an unlawful purpose, contrary to Section 518 (6) of the Criminal Code.
Sentences to be concurrent.

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by EazyMoh(m): 11:25am On Jan 10, 2016
hnmn
Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by asadike(f): 11:26am On Jan 10, 2016
He never accomplished his biggest dream- To rule Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by APCLyingBastard: 11:30am On Jan 10, 2016
asadike:

You mean to misrule Nigeria

9 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by huptin(m): 11:39am On Jan 10, 2016
asadike:

But he achieved Nigeria's biggest dream '' To crush Biafra''

14 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by APCLyingBastard: 12:07pm On Jan 10, 2016
huptin:

Biafra was meant to happen.

The British wanted the oil to be in the hands of their trusted friends in the north.

Nzeagwu was an MI5 agent.

Have you wondered why and how he ended up escaping from custody only to end up fighting for Biafra?

Have you wondered asking why Gowon requested Nzeagwu be given a befitting military burial in a military cemetery in Kaduna after he was supposedly killed in action?

The man was conscripted to destroy regional govt and later drafted to spy on Biafra.

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by GodpunishBuhari: 12:09pm On Jan 10, 2016
Awolowo na coward died like a fowl

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by asadike(f): 12:35pm On Jan 10, 2016
huptin:

yes and he advised gowon to freeze biafrans account and to give them only two pounds, when he saw d biafrans he gave just two pound buying off the whole of South West, he took otapiapia and die.

6 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by APCLyingBastard: 1:05pm On Jan 10, 2016
Hafter1:
[s][/s]

Trash coming from a slave like you, we have seen your pics here many times and i will surely kill my dog if he dare ask you out cos you are just too ugly.

Many of you eboes enjoyed free education of same Awolowo you trying to denigrate, you animals have no shame at all. Ojuku of cursed memory died senile, crippled, deaf and dumb while a drug addict like FFK pummelled his wife like crazy. The accursed coward remains the only war lord that ran away from battle after dressing like an Allen avenue olosho. What a shame, its truly a curse to be eboe.

What is this nonsense?

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 10, 2016
Hafter1:
[s][/s]

Trash coming from a slave like you, we have seen your pics here many times and i will surely kill my dog if he dare ask you out cos you are just too ugly.

Many of you eboes enjoyed free education of same Awolowo you trying to denigrate, you animals have no shame at all. Ojuku of cursed memory died senile, crippled, deaf and dumb while a drug addict like FFK pummelled his wife like crazy. The accursed coward remains the only war lord that ran away from battle after dressing like an Allen avenue olosho. What a shame, its truly a curse to be eboe.
Bro.. is it true Awolowo died of rat poison..??

8 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by Hafter1: 2:12pm On Jan 10, 2016
crixtex:

Bro.. is it true Awolowo died of rat poison..??

Gala seller, Is it true that Ojuku raped Biancar at the age of 14, and is it true that Pita Hoebi smashed biancar while ojuku was dying on his lonely bed?

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by YourCoffin: 2:30pm On Jan 10, 2016
Historical heroes are always accused of treason just like the current government is trying by all means to do the same to Kanu.

It makes me wonder what trully qualifies one as a treasonable fellow. It's simple a game of ambitions and power. Whoever has the highest support of passionate followers wins.
Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by free13: 2:50pm On Jan 10, 2016
Hmm......
Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by Herald47: 3:11pm On Jan 10, 2016
What touched me most in the court trials of awolowo was when the presiding judge said "you were among the people that built this nation and now you want to pull it down"

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jan 10, 2016
Hafter1:

Gala seller, Is it true that Ojuku raped Biancar at the age of 14, and is it true that Pita Hoebi smashed biancar while ojuku was dying on his lonely bed?
How dare you call Bianka a LovePeddler?? cry

1 Like

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by Clemzzz(m): 5:08pm On Jan 10, 2016
So these IPOB youths are still pained!
But u wl all fail just like ur forefathers failed!

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by meccuno: 5:40pm On Jan 10, 2016
APCLyingBastard:
Awolowo was the first to consider a coup in Nigeria.

Awolowo was convicted for treason and was serving his sentence at Calabar prison before the Jan. 15 Coup.

Awolowo will stand trail alongside 23 others including Enaharo.

Enaharo will later escape to Ghana and confess that indeed there was a plot to by the AG led by Awolowo to form a militia to overthrow the govt.

Soyinka was deported to Nigeria by the UK govt to stand trial alongside Awolowo for attempting to overthrow the govt.

The SW political class lobbied the military to overthrow the NPC govt.

Awolowo was held in high esteem by the likes of Nzeagwu .

The Majors had planned to release Awolowo and prop him up as national president .

Nzeagwu like most of his pairs in the Nigerian army officer cadre where university graduates with known leftist tendencies.

The likes of Ifeanjuwa was a graduate of the University of Ibadan who will later join the Army after the British began the Nigerization of the military.

Ifeanjuwa met Wole Soyinka in Ibadan.

The Pyrates Confratenity was formed not as a university society but as a leftist recruiting base.

The likes of Ifeanjuwa got radicalized with leftist ideology on campus.

Maj.Gen Ironsi once complained to a close confidant that he asked for soldeirs and they gave him politicians in army uniform.

This was in response to the increasing partisan nature the newly commissioned university graduate officers like Nzeagwu openly condemned the govt.

Emeka Ojukwu was a member of the UK communist party which he joined when studying at Oxford .

Emeka Ojukwu returned to Nigeria and enlisted as an NCO in the army before the Nigerization policy of the British.

Emeka Ojukwu enlisted as a conscript because he felt as a native he will be effective staging a mutiny against the colonial govt not as an officer but as an enlisted man.

Ojukwu was considered dangerous by the US govt because of his communist leanings. This is why they never supported Biafra.

Leftist ideology was what led to the disaster of the civil war.

Ojukwu was never interested in Biafra but to govern Nigeria as it's central govt.

The Ibos pre-1966 where more open to one Nigeria than they are now.

The counter coup of July, 1966 changed all that.

The north never wanted a central govt and have always opposed any form of intrusion into their highly ultra conservative society by the trousered natives to the south.

The Nationalization decree which turned Nigeria from a republic to a federation of states under a powerful head of state was opposed by the north.

In so many ways, the south caused the problems we face now.

Rather than Zik and Awolowo to swallow their pride and get a coalition going , these two men will struggle to play second fiddle to the north.

The NPC (Northern People's Congress) was unapologetically a regional party as their names implied and they never even bothered to field any candidate in the south.

In 1953 after the NPC parliamenters staged a walkout after Enaharo brought up the motion of independence, they were stoned and insulted the next day by hired Lagos thugs.

A week later the western region Action Group (AG) decided to hold a party rally in the north. The north repaid them back in their wn coin and had the crowd stone them. The skirmish will later escalate to killing innocent Christians and southerners (mainly Ibos) by the almajiri mob.

there has been a secret war between the west and the east........these people have interest and they protect it with the resources they have. Ojukwu Having A communist leaning killed whatever aspirations biafra had to create their own Nation......UK has always had a firm grip on Nigeria and any action that would make them loose a grip on Nigeria the most populous black country with enormous potentials in human and mineral resources. They Control Nigeria through their proxy the northern elites who they believe where not intellectually capable of making decisions that would take Nigeria to its promised land. Its evident in the whole of africa that whatever action taken by a person to redeem any african country to take them out of the shackles of economic poverty would be thwarted by the same africans that are being helped.e.g Thomas sankara........communism versus democracy has always been at war and any decision. Not in their favour would be lethally crushed.......Nigeria would never be great if the foundation is not corrected and blames not thrown around by different ethnic groups. We love the idea of lying to ourselves as a Nation and we would never move forward....it has always been we against them..........kill tribalism and religious bigotry/extremism and solve 20% of our problem. The west have always known how to manipulate africans to keep them perpetually in bondage........and its working for them....

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by jayloms: 4:26am On Jan 11, 2016
asadike:

Chai!! How long will you ppl keep blaming Awo the great grin
Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by opey25(m): 5:31am On Jan 11, 2016
@OP,i dont know where u always get your fake information from. Nzeogwu didnt join the Nigerian Army as a University graduate. You also said soyinka was extradited from the Uk because of the coup plot. that is also a big lie,soyinka was not part of the coup plot. Emeka ojukwu didnt join the nigerian army as a NCO.he was commissioned into the nigerian army as a 2nd lieutenant in 1956.

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by APCLyingBastard: 6:03am On Jan 11, 2016
opey25:
@OP,i dont know where u always get your fake information from. Nzeogwu didnt join the Nigerian Army as a University graduate. You also said soyinka was extradited from the Uk because of the coup plot. that is also a big lie,soyinka was not part of the coup plot. Emeka ojukwu didnt join the nigerian army as a NCO.he was commissioned into the nigerian army as a 2nd lieutenant in 1956.

Ojukwu joined the army as an NCO.

Nzeagwu and Ifeanjuwa were graduates before joining the army under the British nigerization policy.

Soyinka was implicated as part of the conspirators and his dissident behaviour earlier when he stormed Ibadan radio station to interrupt a pre recorded broadcast of Akintola's speech did not help him.
Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by opey25(m): 8:28am On Jan 11, 2016
APCLyingBastard:

Ojukwu joined the army as an NCO.

Nzeagwu and Ifeanjuwa were graduates before joining the army under the British nigerization policy.

Soyinka was implicated as part of the conspirators and his dissident behaviour earlier when he stormed Ibadan radio station to interrupt a pre recorded broadcast of Akintola's speech did not help him.
why are u dislpaying your ignorance online? Tell me the university Nzeogwu attended.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by KwaraRat: 5:02am On Dec 29, 2016
Bump
Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by KwaraRat: 5:06am On Dec 29, 2016
APCLyingBastard:
The man Awolowo will later be released from prison by the Gowon govt to which he willingly served under.

Compared to his peers (Zik, Bello and Belewa) this was to say the least shameless.

Awolowo serving under Gowon was akin to a lord of a manor being deposed by his security guard only for the guard to later engage the lord as his butler.

It doesn't stop there....

Awolowo will later play the most reprehensible and slanderous opposition to another civilian govt.

The coup plotters got Awolowo's blessing after they toppled Shagari.

When it became clear that he had been duped by the Buhari regime and left out in the cold, the same Awolowo will throw his weight and support for IBB.

Babangida knew better and during his regime kept close surveillance on Awolowo as he knew very well that Awolowo's burning ambition to rule Nigeria made him a potential enemy.

Just like back in 1962, the IBB govt was able to get a mole into Awolowo's inner circle from where he was informed of a coup plot in the making by Awolowo.

Awolowo can thus be singled out as one of the main corrupting influences in Nigeria.

The likes of the Sarduna championed the ultra conservative northern culture and it's isolation. Zik was a pragmatic politician seeking political solutions (even though flawed) for political hurdles he encountered. But Awolowo on the other hand was quick to resort to extra criminal measures to consolidate his power base and lust. This is evident on the lingering crisis in western Nigeria under Awolowo after indepence and the successive coup attempts and uprisings that he gave his blessings.

The man was a snake .
Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by KwaraRat: 5:12am On Dec 29, 2016
jayloms:

Chai!! How long will you ppl keep blaming Awo the great grin

Awo was only great in fckups.
Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by dagem: 12:26am On Jan 14, 2018
it is quite funny how you people look back into history and the truth elude you such that you can't learn from the past, by all means you all speaking against awolowo are still living with the middle-age mentality what you are yet to learn in 21st century the man fought for it in the 20th century, and that is 'nationalism' living above tribal and cultural differences, is the height of civilisation. To say he was the one corrupting the nation is like saying christ the reason the devil lives, and on the contrary the ojukwu you all so much revered praised this man awolowo and called zik a dreamer. he said "awolowo was the best president nigeria never had". Ojukwu wrote all that in his book "because i'm invovled".
So if you are looking for a scapegoat in the history yard, look else where. awolowo's contribution to the growth of nigeria so far can't pale in comparison to anyone's contribution. You people need to work on your sense of judgement.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by Guestlander: 12:49am On Jan 14, 2018
The "Lee Kuan Yew" Nigeria never had. Western Nigeria got a TV station about the same time as some European countries.
We haven't seen that type of tranformational leadership ever since. God rest his soul.

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by abimbolayekeen: 3:34am On Jan 14, 2018
Nigeria is ingrate , Awolowo voice for one Nigeria . And he deserve to emulate by nowadays politician .
Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by rhemmiedream(m): 3:40am On Jan 14, 2018
Awolowo baba !!!!
The colossus the OSUS wish was theirs. Everything I am today is partly due to God and the foundation people like Awo built. God bless his soul.

Only if the they had listened to the sage. These endless cycle of killings wouldn't have seen the light of the day.
He saw that Nigeria had no future and wanted secession clause inserted in the constitution but the progenitor of the flaatheaded apes argued otherwise.
He thought Nigeria would be his and that of his kind to Lord over. But unfortunately the blood of his people more than others merely waters the pseudo unity of this contraption.

In conclusion, Soyinka spent years in solitary confinement because he demanded for fairness and justice as per the Biafra war. Lo and behold! , his greatest enemies today are the same people he stood up for even when it wasn't comfortable to do so.

Some guy named Femi Fani Kayode easily comes to mind. Those who have ears let them hear .

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Treason Trial by AntiBalaka: 7:02pm On Jun 07, 2020
K

(1) (2) (Reply)

Proof INEC And APC Are Working Together In Rivers (pic) / Photos Of President Buhari With Ogun State Governor And Others In London / Nnamdi Kanu Replies Dambazzua, Slams Media For Lies Aganst Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.