Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,675 members, 7,865,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 12:45 AM

How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State (19412 Views)

Lizard Tied To A Man's Car In The Night In Awka, Anambra (Photos) / Gunmen Kill Worshippers At A Catholic Church In Ozubulu, Anambra State (Graphic) / Escaped Ghana Robber: TB Joshua Intervenes (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by luvluvluv: 11:06pm On Jan 10, 2016
Eiyaa op thank God for u o

BTW, wat type of meeting was it dat was held behind closed doors?... jus wondering sad

2 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by nosypat(m): 11:08pm On Jan 10, 2016
Glad you survived but guy, the narrative poor sha in every possible way. The use of adjectives sef na war....shu.
Hope the flood water no pass enter brain sha.
#testimony.

3 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by Kellyakon(f): 11:17pm On Jan 10, 2016
Eww na we dey cause am , Most waterways/drainage are blocked. Thank God for Op's life, we wouldnt have read this story.
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by walemoney007(m): 11:20pm On Jan 10, 2016
I thank God for your life...but your story is very funny grin

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jan 10, 2016
Donariok:
undecided by the time u'd realise that what
You just posted doesn't make Sense,
It will b too late

Well, chelsea already made my day
chill nigger its on Front page.
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by nwaanambra1(m): 11:30pm On Jan 10, 2016
[size=14pt]bros abeg na that RED SHARON IN THE PIX BE UR RANGE ROVER SPORT? lipsrsealed undecided

I GUESS The phone U USE FOR THE PIX na APPLE I PHONE 10 cheesy[/size]

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by SHAIBULIAR: 11:33pm On Jan 10, 2016
Eyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa RIP
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by Mykelpato(m): 11:43pm On Jan 10, 2016
grin and You still snap picture.... I attended St Pauls.. I know that Road well..
thank God for your lives

BTW, Nice Range Rover

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by fiziebaibie(f): 11:52pm On Jan 10, 2016
Dat eletididi bike man though
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by flyingdutchman(m): 11:59pm On Jan 10, 2016
HAVE YOU FINISHED EMPTYING YOUR LEG IN THE FLOOD? BACK TO BACK GRAMMAR. GBAGAN TI TAKE OVER! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by cardoctor(m): 12:03am On Jan 11, 2016
No need for this long story. Simply thank God for your life.
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by MrDoGood(m): 12:04am On Jan 11, 2016
Bossforeva:
Testimony Time: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State

.On a faithful Sunday, my day began like every other Sunday, when I returned from the usual Sunday church service, my phone rang and it was an invitation to a meeting in Anaocha local government area of Anambra state.

My friend Chigozie Umeh and I set out for the journey at about 3pm. As we drove through Amawbia – Nise exit road of Awka to Agulu, we noticed a slight drizzling of rain which never seemed like anything serious… We barely noticed it and drove further down the road. However, we later observed a clumsy on the windscreen which made driving a bit difficult, giving us the first impression that the rain was actually beyond mere drizzling thereby making us turn on the wiper for the first time. As we drove far-off the capital city, the rain intensified but wasn’t anything comparable to a downpour; by the time we got to Anaocha (Adazi Nnukwu precisely), it was already around 6pm and we joined the meeting which lasted for hours within closed doors. We had no idea what was happening outside because the windows and doors of the hall were neither open. The meeting ended at about 8:30pm and we again set out to return to Awka that night. It started as a smooth journey as we drove through the newly constructed roads connecting Adazi, through Agulu Lake down to Nise. We barely met any vehicle yet we had to drive on limited speed knowing full well it had rained and the roads were wet. Just few distance after the St Paul’s College Nise (before the Mpoto River), we saw a long queue of traffic; we immediately reversed expecting an uncertainty but having parked and observed a while, it seemed to us neither a robbery incident nor accident scene. Again, we reversed and parked behind the queue then alighted and walked down the road to see for ourselves what a scene it was.

Nevertheless, to our bewilderment, it was as wild as a beast; I had never seen a thing like that but on television. The road had been divided and Awka (our homes) had been cut-off. It stretched for about some kilometers as we could see another queue and terrified crowd on the other end as they made exit from Awka.

We thought River Niger or Agulu Lake had lost its bank and may be swallowing everything it came in contact with but it took us some time to learn it was only a flood from the rain we barely saw as serious. Further down into the center of the flood was an 18 passenger bus belonging to the Eastern Mass Transport Company loaded to full capacity, it was not easy ascertaining where the noise was coming from as the flood roared like a hungry beast but yet an outcry from the bus whose passengers were shouting in different languages and praying to any available god/God, in total submission to the control of the waves.

After a while some rescue volunteers swam through the flood and saved the bus which was almost being pulled into the gully on one side of the road.

After the rescue operation, I saw some people who dismounted the bus trembling with tears running down their faces and we took out time to sympathize with them, as the night got deeper, a motorcyclist on the other side of the road who had been waiting alongside others certainly jumped on his bike, Kick-started it and defied all plea by the crowd not to go into the flood, but few distance towards the center, he lost control of the bike and the flood swept him and his bike into the dungeon; Now that was another terrifying experience for most of us. We waited at both ends like the Isrealites waiting for the Moses to divide the sea…

Now it seems like an opportunity, the flood has reduced and some big vehicles had began crossing. A check on the time revealed it was already 11:30pm and it was forest on both side of the road, we we fetched some courage and headed on, first was myself on Range Rover Sport and Chigozie was to come over with the small car; I closed my eyes to the windows because it was of little difference with sailing on Bonny River in River state, the worst became of me as the car broke down in the middle of the high velocity flood leaving my hope of leaving a life on the other side shattered.

Now, it is my turn to pray, I prayed and sang but only a little courage was gained; I opened the door and tried stepping out of the car, but the force of the flood neither allowed my leg to touch the ground. I hurried back into the vehicle filled with thought and anxiety… I only knew I was to try something brave, I later summoned courage, held the vehicle tight and emptied my legs into the flood and with the help of some volunteers who rushed to my help and the person driving the vehicle, we were able to roll the vehicle back, out of the flood.

Back to base, we remained in shock and trapped like refugees till about 12am when the flood subsided and we then made a way through. That indeed was a breakthrough as we had a relief hoping to be home soon, at least reunite with family and loved ones who were already sleepless with the news brokered to them through phone calls.

Unfortunately, few drive away from the flood scene, was another scene but this time not a flood incident but lumps of sand (mud) washed down from the hill on the left thereby making the road almost impassable, there were some vehicle already stocked therein so we had to join another queue… Moments after, the road was clear and all other vehicles had left but only God knows what. Our vehicle had absorbed water and could not start any more, it was about 12:30am and this time, it was only Chigozie and I on the lonely dark road and all what we hear was sound of running water from all conners of the road. We spent about 30 minutes working on the car and finally, it came up. We hurriedly made our way home; it had remained a trauma till recently when I doused it off.

http://starttells.com/2016/01/09/how-i-escaped-drowning-in-mpoto-river-in-awka-anambra-state/

Your time is far from near.

Wish you longer years ahead.

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by Plus234(m): 12:06am On Jan 11, 2016
Op thank God for you but from Awka to Adazi Nnukwu will not take you upto 3hrs as you narrated, latest it take 1hr or 45mins
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by nuelzy: 12:54am On Jan 11, 2016
durrh...when did it start raining in awka??...
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by noblegrex: 1:08am On Jan 11, 2016
Thank God for you. Seriously I was so scared reading through.but I had my mind at peace knowing fully well that you're the one giving the testimony. But how come you're able to take such pics at such a deadly hour. Although I was expecting such as its going to make the story more interesting but I was just thinking of the possibility at that situation. Haa! Thank God.

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by CHARLLYk(m): 1:13am On Jan 11, 2016
undecidedHmmm see comments
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by mrofficial(m): 1:15am On Jan 11, 2016
The op should be a Director in Nollywood. undecided

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by CHARLLYk(m): 1:20am On Jan 11, 2016
MrDoGood:

Your time is far from near.
Wish you longer years ahead.
Amen & Amen!!
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by CHARLLYk(m): 1:23am On Jan 11, 2016
Plus234:
Op thank God for you but from Awka to Adazi Nnukwu will not take you upto 3hrs as you narrated, latest it take 1hr or 45mins

Did you consider the rain and the stop and drive on the way? Obviously it wasn't a straight journey
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by Elchappo: 2:51am On Jan 11, 2016
@OP, since u dey drive Ranger Rover, why not buy a Phone with 15MP camera, it won't cost more than 50k...

Ordinary road water wan drown you Abeg come lagos make u see say most cars in lagos nah Submarine yet we no dey drown..

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by jayloms: 2:54am On Jan 11, 2016
Are we in the same Nigeria or when did it start raining in some parts of the country, while other parts remain in the dry harmattans? Anyway, thank God for Life and safety OP.

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by Kirinwa: 3:59am On Jan 11, 2016
Wisdom is profitable to direct.
Op can you say you don't know the implications of night travel.
It rained, flood everywhere, bus nearly collapsed, crazed bike man ventured and lost his life.

You still went on. That surely means your life means nothing to you.
I hate stories like this.
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by arinzest: 5:11am On Jan 11, 2016
u shld have reversed and gone through Nise- Ring road, Enugwu-ukwu rd or Agukwu-Nri Nkwo, Enugwu-ukwu road. Many alternate routes.

Any way sha, Thank God u didnt drown

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by davidif: 5:17am On Jan 11, 2016
Wow, thank God that you are alive. Man, its so sad that Naija is still so underdeveloped like this.
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by BrokenTV: 6:28am On Jan 11, 2016
arinzest:
u shld have reversed and gone through Nise- Ring road, Enugwu-ukwu rd or Agukwu-Nri Nkwo, Enugwu-ukwu road. Many alternate routes.

Any way sha, Thank God u didnt drown
That would have been a long journey, what That would have done is reverse back, to Ngene oka market, follow the road that lead to St Felix catholic church, by following that road straight, it will lead them to Nibo town, after going through the S junction in Nibo, they will link up to the road going to Amawbia through Governors lodge.
I always avoid that mmiri mkpoto whenever it rains heavily especially at night, somebody have even lost his life their.
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by Nobody: 6:31am On Jan 11, 2016
Bossforeva:
Testimony Time: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State

.On a faithful Sunday, my day began like every other Sunday, when I returned from the usual Sunday church service, my phone rang and it was an invitation to a meeting in Anaocha local government area of Anambra state.

My friend Chigozie Umeh and I set out for the journey at about 3pm. As we drove through Amawbia – Nise exit road of Awka to Agulu, we noticed a slight drizzling of rain which never seemed like anything serious… We barely noticed it and drove further down the road. However, we later observed a clumsy on the windscreen which made driving a bit difficult, giving us the first impression that the rain was actually beyond mere drizzling thereby making us turn on the wiper for the first time. As we drove far-off the capital city, the rain intensified but wasn’t anything comparable to a downpour; by the time we got to Anaocha (Adazi Nnukwu precisely), it was already around 6pm and we joined the meeting which lasted for hours within closed doors. We had no idea what was happening outside because the windows and doors of the hall were neither open. The meeting ended at about 8:30pm and we again set out to return to Awka that night. It started as a smooth journey as we drove through the newly constructed roads connecting Adazi, through Agulu Lake down to Nise. We barely met any vehicle yet we had to drive on limited speed knowing full well it had rained and the roads were wet. Just few distance after the St Paul’s College Nise (before the Mpoto River), we saw a long queue of traffic; we immediately reversed expecting an uncertainty but having parked and observed a while, it seemed to us neither a robbery incident nor accident scene. Again, we reversed and parked behind the queue then alighted and walked down the road to see for ourselves what a scene it was.

Nevertheless, to our bewilderment, it was as wild as a beast; I had never seen a thing like that but on television. The road had been divided and Awka (our homes) had been cut-off. It stretched for about some kilometers as we could see another queue and terrified crowd on the other end as they made exit from Awka.

We thought River Niger or Agulu Lake had lost its bank and may be swallowing everything it came in contact with but it took us some time to learn it was only a flood from the rain we barely saw as serious. Further down into the center of the flood was an 18 passenger bus belonging to the Eastern Mass Transport Company loaded to full capacity, it was not easy ascertaining where the noise was coming from as the flood roared like a hungry beast but yet an outcry from the bus whose passengers were shouting in different languages and praying to any available god/God, in total submission to the control of the waves.

After a while some rescue volunteers swam through the flood and saved the bus which was almost being pulled into the gully on one side of the road.

After the rescue operation, I saw some people who dismounted the bus trembling with tears running down their faces and we took out time to sympathize with them, as the night got deeper, a motorcyclist on the other side of the road who had been waiting alongside others certainly jumped on his bike, Kick-started it and defied all plea by the crowd not to go into the flood, but few distance towards the center, he lost control of the bike and the flood swept him and his bike into the dungeon; Now that was another terrifying experience for most of us. We waited at both ends like the Isrealites waiting for the Moses to divide the sea…

Now it seems like an opportunity, the flood has reduced and some big vehicles had began crossing. A check on the time revealed it was already 11:30pm and it was forest on both side of the road, we we fetched some courage and headed on, first was myself on Range Rover Sport and Chigozie was to come over with the small car; I closed my eyes to the windows because it was of little difference with sailing on Bonny River in River state, the worst became of me as the car broke down in the middle of the high velocity flood leaving my hope of leaving a life on the other side shattered.

Now, it is my turn to pray, I prayed and sang but only a little courage was gained; I opened the door and tried stepping out of the car, but the force of the flood neither allowed my leg to touch the ground. I hurried back into the vehicle filled with thought and anxiety… I only knew I was to try something brave, I later summoned courage, held the vehicle tight and emptied my legs into the flood and with the help of some volunteers who rushed to my help and the person driving the vehicle, we were able to roll the vehicle back, out of the flood.

Back to base, we remained in shock and trapped like refugees till about 12am when the flood subsided and we then made a way through. That indeed was a breakthrough as we had a relief hoping to be home soon, at least reunite with family and loved ones who were already sleepless with the news brokered to them through phone calls.

Unfortunately, few drive away from the flood scene, was another scene but this time not a flood incident but lumps of sand (mud) washed down from the hill on the left thereby making the road almost impassable, there were some vehicle already stocked therein so we had to join another queue… Moments after, the road was clear and all other vehicles had left but only God knows what. Our vehicle had absorbed water and could not start any more, it was about 12:30am and this time, it was only Chigozie and I on the lonely dark road and all what we hear was sound of running water from all conners of the road. We spent about 30 minutes working on the car and finally, it came up. We hurriedly made our way home; it had remained a trauma till recently when I doused it off.

http://starttells.com/2016/01/09/how-i-escaped-drowning-in-mpoto-river-in-awka-anambra-state/

I thought you fell into agulu lake,where gigantic crocodile resides

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by pomide(m): 6:51am On Jan 11, 2016
you should have just turned back.. rent a hotel or some thing... u made so many unwise decision in ur voyage

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by kachnov(m): 7:17am On Jan 11, 2016
okay
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by CHARLLYk(m): 8:14am On Jan 11, 2016
:DThanks all. I'm joyed
Re: How I Escaped Drowning In Mpoto River, In Awka Anambra State by Menzy86(m): 8:22am On Jan 11, 2016
An average Nigerian has problem with tenses. Has, have, had....... All used in most cases inappropriately and interchangeably. This post nearly blinded me! Chai.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sex Scandal: Is Apostle Suleman Scared To Go To Court? / Foreign Pastors Celebrate TB Joshua! / What Is Your Church Theme For 2018?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.