Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,113 members, 7,811,130 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:30 AM

Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers (16212 Views)

How Cell Phones Damage Your Sperm Cells And Causes Infertility In Men / Black Female Physicist Develops Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers / Every Person Has Cancer Cells In The Body (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by Nobody: 1:30am On Jan 11, 2016
34 year old Dr. Hadiyah-Nicole Green is one of fewer than 100 black female physicists in the country, and the recent winner of $1.1 million grant to further develop a technology she’s pioneered that uses laser-activated nanoparticles to treat cancer.

Green, who lost her parents young, was raised by her aunt and uncle. While still at school, her aunt died from cancer, and three months later her uncle was diagnosed with cancer, too. Green went on to earn her degree in physics at Alabama A&M University, being crowned Homecoming Queen while she was at it, before going on full scholarship to University of Alabama in Birmingham to earn her Masters and Ph.D. There Green would become the first to work out how to deliver nanoparticles into cancer cells exclusively, so that a laser could be used to remove them, and then successfully carry out her treatment on living animals.

As she takes on her growing responsibilities, Green still makes time to speak at schools, Boys & Girls Clubs and other youth events. “Young black girls don’t see those role models (scientists) as often as they see Beyonce or Nicki Minaj,” says Green. “It’s important to know that our brains are capable of more.”
http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2016/01/09/black-female-physicist-pioneers-technology-that-kills-cancer-cells-with-lasers/

30 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by jaytee01(m): 7:09am On Jan 11, 2016
Interesting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by dominique(f): 8:17am On Jan 11, 2016
Good one. beauty + brains, not everyone is lucky to have both.

But how can there be less than 100 black female physicists in a country that has a population of close to a billion people? I'm finding it hard to believe.

5 Likes

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by Nobody: 8:41am On Jan 11, 2016
dominique:

But how can there be less than 100 black female physicists in a country that has a population of close to a billion people? I'm finding it hard to believe.
Lol.. The US only has a population of 318 million people. Already, the number of Blacks (both male and female) in the STEM fields is far less than those of Asians and Whites, so the number of Black female physicists in the country is kinda believable.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by dominique(f): 10:28am On Jan 11, 2016
CFCman:

Lol.. The US only has a population of 318 million people. Already, the number of Blacks (both male and female) in the STEM fields is far less than those of Asians and Whites, so the number of Black female physicists in the country is kinda believable.

Ok just googled it, thought I read somewhere that the population is close to 900million. Still, having 2 black female physicists is like saying that there are less than 2 per state. That's a bit incredulous
Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by Dannieln1: 10:36am On Jan 11, 2016
Well I have nothing to say...

But I have to say. This....

OMG! I just forgot what I want to say......

Oh! Yeah just remember.....

Is she a physics??

Pls somebody help me out

Cos all I can see is BEAUTYYYYYYYYYY

3 Likes

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by preciousMI1(f): 10:36am On Jan 11, 2016
God bless her God bless medical science

5 Likes

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by mrborntodoit: 10:36am On Jan 11, 2016
Wow !

Cancer has killed too many people , it's time to eradicate cancer !!

5 Likes

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by Smartsyn(m): 10:38am On Jan 11, 2016
A welcomed development..

One thing I like about some Americans and Whites in general is that they use their circumstances and predicaments as a springboard to achieve greater things.

Unlike some armed robbers you will hear here saying things like "I went into robbery because my parents died when I was 12"

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by flokii: 10:39am On Jan 11, 2016
it's like nanotech. is d way forward now..

1 Like

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by glimpse33(m): 10:39am On Jan 11, 2016
GOOD NEWS TO ALL THE LADIES OUT THERE WITH BREAST CANCER cool

2 Likes

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by ultrazone(m): 10:39am On Jan 11, 2016
Nice move
Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by winkmart: 10:39am On Jan 11, 2016
Is she NIGERIAN
Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by odiereke(m): 10:40am On Jan 11, 2016
Good one indeed.

1 Like

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by Mopolchi: 10:41am On Jan 11, 2016
God bless her for this.
Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by mrphysics(m): 10:41am On Jan 11, 2016
Good, a nice one from the female physicist.

It would be expedient to point out that at the first international conference on nano technology held at the university of Nigeria Nsukka. cancerous cells where injected into a rat and thereafter, nano particle were also injected towards the breast of the rat. it was discovered that the nano particles killed the cancerous cells. Lecture delivered by Prof.Sobeyejor.

Saying she was the first may not really be true though I don't know the date of her publication on it. The truth is that Nigerians are doing well but the government have not supported research. once again, Congrats to her.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 10:42am On Jan 11, 2016
cool
Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by Nobody: 10:42am On Jan 11, 2016
This is great news!
Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by Ishopbest: 10:43am On Jan 11, 2016
This is really good
Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by spacyzuma(m): 10:44am On Jan 11, 2016
Now this lady is a proper icon, and should be emulated and imitated by younger females in STEM.
+100000

1 Like

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by Daslim180(m): 10:44am On Jan 11, 2016
ok
Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by sirTesco(m): 10:45am On Jan 11, 2016
Everywhere good
Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by 3rdlegxxx(m): 10:46am On Jan 11, 2016
I have a feeling they meant 1000, having 100 is like saying 2 or 3 per state, while physics as a course is offered in almost all US universities, that figure is false but kudos to her tho, wish her good luck in solidifying a permanent treatment to kill cancer cells.

1 Like

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by Niceman4u(m): 10:53am On Jan 11, 2016
Very encouraging! Keep it my fellow Physicist! Given a conducive environment we can do more. Bravo!

1 Like

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by coolzeal(m): 10:58am On Jan 11, 2016
Black people are never inferior anyway. All they want is equal right to live their lives in peace like any other race.
Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by tartar9(m): 11:05am On Jan 11, 2016
she's black sad her research will fail
Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by akigbemaru: 11:06am On Jan 11, 2016
American female physicist pioneered

1 Like

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by tmcleo2k2(m): 11:08am On Jan 11, 2016
Billon bawo?
Oga make Google your friend ASAP!
dominique:

1 Like

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by Chiidi(m): 11:11am On Jan 11, 2016
Great work, I bet dezieni alison maduake will be the first nigerian to cured of cancer this year

1 Like

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by kraftsta(m): 11:11am On Jan 11, 2016
This is the kinda news we need n not news like, cossy orjiako displays boobs in mama nkechi's akara showcase or cynthia morgan looks stunning in some stvpid nose ring.

Back to d topic, its actually true that wat a man can do a woman can do better and this is d kinda news we will all be glad to hear wen one's daughter is all grown...

3 Likes

Re: Black Female Physicist Pioneers Technology That Kills Cancer Cells With Lasers by princejayboss: 11:13am On Jan 11, 2016
CFCman:

Well said bro... Nice article... Though she was not the first to have done that... Forget the Yankees and the bragging.... Fate will soon catch up with them If they don't go back to the right path.... They keep cutting their defense budget and will announce they found this and that...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unripe Plantain Health Benefits Revealed! / Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure / Impact And Dangers Of Overthinking On Our Mental Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.