Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,734 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure (16224 Views)

A Young Nigerian With Possible HIV Cure Die In Isreal / New Form Of HIV Turns Into AIDS Before Victims Realise They Are Infected / HIV Cure To Be Ready In Months? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by mkmyers45(m): 11:25pm On Apr 28, 2013
Danish scientists are expecting results that will show that “finding a mass-distributable and affordable cure to HIV is possible”.
They are conducting clinical trials to test a “novel strategy” in which the HIV virus is stripped from human DNA and destroyed permanently by the immune system.
The move would represent a dramatic step forward in the attempt to find a cure for the virus, which causes Aids.
The scientists are currently conducting human trials on their treatment, in the hope of proving that it is effective. It has already been found to work in laboratory tests.
The technique involves releasing the HIV virus from “reservoirs” it forms in DNA cells, bringing it to the surface of the cells. Once it comes to the surface, the body’s natural immune system can kill the virus through being boosted by a “vaccine”.

In vitro studies — those that use human cells in a laboratory — of the new technique proved so successful that in January, the Danish Research Council awarded the team 12 million Danish kroner (£1.5 million) to pursue their findings in clinical trials with human subjects.
These are now under way, and according to Dr Søgaard, the early signs are “promising”.
Dr Ole Søgaard, a senior researcher at the Aarhus University Hospital in Denmark who is part of the research team, said: “I am almost certain that we will be successful in releasing the reservoirs of HIV.
“The challenge will be getting the patients’ immune system to recognise the virus and destroy it. This depends on the strength and sensitivity of individual immune systems.”
Fifteen patients are currently taking part in the trials, and if they are found to have successfully been cured of HIV, the “cure” will be tested on a wider scale.
Dr Søgaard stressed that a cure is not the same as a preventative vaccine, and that raising awareness of unsafe behaviour, including unprotected sex and sharing needles, remains of paramount importance in combating HIV.
With modern HIV treatment, a patient can live an almost normal life, even into old age, with limited side effects.
However, if medication is stopped, HIV reservoirs become active and start to produce more of the virus, meaning that symptoms can reappear within two weeks.
Finding a cure would free a patient from the need to take continuous HIV medication, and save health services billions of pounds.
The technique is being researched in Britain, but studies have not yet moved on to the clinical trial stage. Five universities — Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College, London, University College, London and King’s College, London — have jointly formed the Collaborative HIV Eradication of Reservoirs UK Biomedical Research Centre group (CHERUB), which is dedicated to finding an HIV cure.
They have applied to the Medical Research Council for funding to conduct clinical trials, which will seek to combine techniques to release the reservoirs of HIV with immunotherapy to destroy the virus.
In addition, they are focusing on patients that have only recently been infected, as they believe this will improve chances of a cure. The group hopes to receive a funding decision in May.
“When the first patient is cured in this way it will be a spectacular moment,” says Dr John Frater, a clinical research fellow at the Nuffield School of Medicine, Oxford University, and a member of the CHERUB group.
“It will prove that we are heading in the right direction and demonstrate that a cure is possible. But I think it will be five years before we see a cure that can be offered on a large scale.”
The Danish team’s research is among the most advanced and fast moving in the world, as that they have streamlined the process of putting the latest basic science discoveries into clinical testing.
This means that researchers can progress more quickly to clinical trials, accelerating the process and reaching reliable results sooner than many others.
The technique uses drugs called HDAC Inhibitors, which are more commonly used in treating cancer, to drive out the HIV from a patient’s DNA. The Danish researchers are using a particularly powerful type of HDAC inhibitor called Panobinostat.
Five years ago, the general consensus was that HIV could not be cured. But then Timothy Ray Brown, an HIV sufferer — who has become known in the field as the Berlin Patient — developed leukaemia.
He had a bone marrow transplant from a donor with a rare genetic mutation that made his cells resistant to HIV. As a result, in 2007 Mr Brown became the first man to ever be fully cured of the disease.
Replicating this procedure on a mass scale is impossible. Nevertheless, the Brown case caused a sea change in research, with scientists focusing on finding a cure as well as suppressing the symptoms.
Two principal approaches are currently being pursued. The first, gene therapy, aims to make a patient’s immune system resistant to HIV. This is complex and expensive, and not easily transferrable to diverse gene pools around the world.
The second approach is the one being pursued by Dr Søgaard and his colleagues in Denmark, the CHERUB group in Britain, and by other laboratories in the United States and Europe.

www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10022664/Scientists-on-brink-of-HIV-cure.html

1 Like

Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by lifestyle1(m): 4:12pm On Apr 29, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by dare2think: 4:15pm On Apr 29, 2013
This does not mean you all should start f...kin without CD. There are still loads of other diseases ohhh

wink wink wink

5 Likes

Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by fittty(m): 4:15pm On Apr 29, 2013
grin
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by 2bosun: 4:15pm On Apr 29, 2013
It's only a matter of time until we have cure. Pharma companies don't have much interest in curing HIV (and most other diseases); they'd rather "treat" it to keep the $$$$ roliing in.

1 Like

Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by oluwadare26(m): 4:19pm On Apr 29, 2013
With the HIV Cure news making rave of recent, i dont need any prophet now to prophecise that they will soon c its cure

1 Like

Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by OgidiOlu3(m): 4:19pm On Apr 29, 2013
I have a dream that one day "anti-HIV" dugs will be sold in the pharmacies like artesunat and d likes wink.

4 Likes

Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by sagytariusTM1: 4:20pm On Apr 29, 2013
Get the gaddem Cure already. I want to start straffing with impunity!
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by Afrocatalyst: 4:20pm On Apr 29, 2013
Good one
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by hitmanogo: 4:21pm On Apr 29, 2013
Nice try. ...let's pray it works. .... that reminds me HIV is not this people's problem yet they are dedicating much to save people who have the problem. ... While people that are affected are doing more to misappropriate money given as aids and grants. ...anyway God is watching us. ...

3 Likes

Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by dare2think: 4:22pm On Apr 29, 2013
oluwadare26: With the HIV Cure news making rave of recent, i dont need any prophet now to prophecise that they will soon c its cure

Lol are you now making fun of my beloved T.B jj ?

Dont you try it ohh!

You know God with his wrath, he'll leave all our corrupt governors and politicians and descend on you now.

'touch not his anointed'
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by valencia25(m): 4:24pm On Apr 29, 2013
dare2think:

Lol are you now making fun of my beloved T.B jj ?

Dont you try it ohh!

You know God with his wrath, he'll leave all our corrupt governors and politicians and descend on you now.

'touch not his anointed'

Tafa Balewa
Teslim Balogun
undecided
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 29, 2013
sagytarius™:
Get the gaddem Cure already. I want to start straffing with impunity!
joker!!!!!!
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by ak47com: 4:26pm On Apr 29, 2013
#Dancing alingo. We'll soon be doin skin 2 skin.

2 Likes

Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by theripper3: 4:29pm On Apr 29, 2013
Boys preek go soon comot from CD curfew.

1 Like

Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by imperiouxx(m): 4:32pm On Apr 29, 2013
How many times nau? angry

[size=15pt]Sebi we don read am here yesterday[/size] angry angry
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by POLICECAP: 4:32pm On Apr 29, 2013
[size=14pt] Are the Mafians tired of subdueing its publicity? [/size]
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by dare2think: 4:33pm On Apr 29, 2013
valencia25:

Tafa Balewa
Teslim Balogun
undecided

lol keeping guessing!!

Hint; who keeps coming with obvious predictions and calls them 'prophecies'?
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by valencia25(m): 4:34pm On Apr 29, 2013
ak47.com:
#Dancing alingo. We'll soon be doin skin 2 skin.
G.enital Warts will dance Azonto on your thing embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by valencia25(m): 4:38pm On Apr 29, 2013
dare2think:

lol keeping guessing!!

Hint; who keeps coming with obvious predictions and calls them 'prophecies'?
Hmmm.... I don't want to think of that MOG!
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by samflex(m): 4:39pm On Apr 29, 2013
According to fela, hiv na oyinbo disease to prevent black man from straffing...lmao grin
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by dare2think: 4:41pm On Apr 29, 2013
valencia25:
Hmmm.... I don't want to think of that MOG!

*nods silently*
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 29, 2013
Nice one...

I will soon be able to do away with Durex for good angry
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by Greatlydia(f): 4:44pm On Apr 29, 2013
tnk God for dis break through
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 29, 2013
Greatlydia: tnk God for dis break through

Indeed. Thank God for this and also for HIV.

2 Likes

Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by tpapi: 4:52pm On Apr 29, 2013
jackbauerspower: Nice one...

I will soon be able to do away with Durex for good angry
which has a stronger quality rough rider or durex
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by DJDOLA(m): 4:55pm On Apr 29, 2013
wat is hiv?
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by imperiouxx(m): 4:57pm On Apr 29, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 29, 2013
imperiouxx:

ehn..... A new kind of mosquito
angry
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by imperiouxx(m): 5:00pm On Apr 29, 2013
musKeeto:
angry
grin
Re: Scientists On Brink Of HIV Cure by CrushX(f): 5:01pm On Apr 29, 2013
Do you think they would? I am very cynical and think that a lot of cures can be found but what they are really interested in is creating medicines to 'manage' diseases, so we can pour more money into the industry. Anybody else that cynical?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Benue Records Suspected Case Of Monkeypox (Disturbing Photos) / Impact And Dangers Of Overthinking On Our Mental Health / Lily Ivf Price Offer/truth About Success Rates Of Ivf Clinics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.