Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,309 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Meet The Longest Reigning Traditional Ruler In Africa! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Meet The Longest Reigning Traditional Ruler In Africa! (2833 Views)

Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? / Who Is The Best Traditional Ruler In The South East? / Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Longest Reigning Traditional Ruler In Africa! by obynoses(m): 8:51am On Jan 11, 2016
The foremost educationist and former Senate President of Nigeria, Chief Nwafor Orizu, of blessed memory, was an Nnewi man. At a time many of the communities across the country can not boast of a single motor car, the town already had a multi millionaire in the person of Chief Ojukwu whose luxury car was used to convey the visiting Queen of England round the country when she visited Nigeria many decades ago. Nnewi is made up of four quarters, Otolo, Uruagu, Umudim and Nnewichi, with each of the independent but interrelated communities in the town having its own Obi. Otolo-Nnewi, however, produces the paramount traditional ruler of the town in the Orizu royal family. The succession system is hereditary which automatically removes the tension and acrimony associated with installation of a new king in Igboland in particular and Nigeria in general. It has insulated the kingship from opening it up for the highest bidder.When destiny beckoned on Igwe Dr Kenneth Orizu 111 to mount the throne of his fathers 52 years ago, it was obvious that the man with the Midas touch would turn things around in the then sleepy community. Igwe Nnewi was instrumental to the establishment of the Nnewi main market after the idea was mooted by Dim Chukwemeka Ojukwu(Ikemba Nnewi) of blessed memory. The paramount traditional ruler also played a pivotal role in the industrialization of the town as he single-handedly carried the gospel of transiting from buying and selling to the setting up of industries to the affluent ones in his town. He assisted many industrialists to get land for the smooth take of their outfits.The royal father, while talking about his staying power, said: “ It was God that helped me but then I worked very hard because I knew that if I must break the poverty circle, I must work very hard. I was ready to do just anything with my hands even if it was laboring to make money for myself. My salary was less than nine pounds when I joined Outlook Newspapers but it rose to 52 pounds before I left in 1962.” Orizu was instrumental to the bringing of electricity, post office and an educational institution to Nnewi which today has assumed the status of a city.
Orizu, while commenting on his experience as a royal father, stated.“ I can not say it has been rosy. Moments after I became Igwe, I got so bored. I would sit down here from morning till night. I could not move round freely which was quite different with my kind of person who could not stay in a particular place for long. My movement became too restricted for my liking. As early as 7 am, people would start bringing cases to be resolved. I had great responsibilities as Igwe Nnewi because I was in charge of 25 towns; that was before the mass recognition of traditional rulers in the second republic. I would have rather preferred to be a laborer or anything that would fetch me money and allow me to move round freely. It was not fun sitting down here all day. The other challenge, apart from sitting here, is that of the people that wanted four kings for Nnewi but our progenitors knew why they said it would be one and hereditary.” Igwe Orizu has celebrated his 90th birthday and his 52 years on the throne since 2015, making him the longest reigning traditional ruler in Africa.
From Otuu Obinna

1 Like

Re: Meet The Longest Reigning Traditional Ruler In Africa! by MoonChildng: 8:53am On Jan 11, 2016
Wow 52years on the throne....
May God grant you more years of wisdom and leadership in accordance with His will
Re: Meet The Longest Reigning Traditional Ruler In Africa! by xMrPx(m): 9:08am On Jan 11, 2016
foremost educationist and a former president of Nigeria?
Were u drunk when u posted this trash? Former president of 9ja kuooo
By d way, who is the guy? Since history, this is d first time I am hearing his name!
U guys should learn preview write up b4 posting it for all to see.
Re: Meet The Longest Reigning Traditional Ruler In Africa! by obynoses(m): 2:24pm On Jan 11, 2016
xMrPx:
foremost educationist and a former president of Nigeria?
Were u drunk when u posted this trash? Former president of 9ja kuooo
By d way, who is the guy? Since history, this is d first time I am hearing his name!
U guys should learn preview write up b4 posting it for all to see.
Are you a Nigerian at all? You are hearing Nwafor Orizu for the first time, then you a poor in the historical knowledge. Nigeria's second Senate President from November 16, 1960 to January 15, 1966, during the Nigerian First Republic was Dr. Akwaeke Nwafor Orizu From Nnewi, Anambra state.
Re: Meet The Longest Reigning Traditional Ruler In Africa! by xMrPx(m): 3:51pm On Jan 11, 2016
obynoses:

Are you a Nigerian at all? You are hearing Nwafor Orizu for the first time, then you a poor in the historical knowledge. Nigeria's second Senate President from November 16, 1960 to January 15, 1966, during the Nigerian First Republic was Dr. Akwaeke Nwafor Orizu From Nnewi, Anambra state.
Senate president or former Nigeria president' Olodo'
Tot u said d dude own a car as at the time Nigerians couldn't afford any' #Daft
D dude's influence was not felt by Nigerians rather, he enriched himself and family' hence, he is a nobody.
Re: Meet The Longest Reigning Traditional Ruler In Africa! by Ayobami7(m): 11:23am On Nov 15, 2018
This is my Comment

(1) (Reply)

Igede Agba New Yam Festival Is Coming Up Next Week:by Preemoo Ntfoxy Bone / Yoruba Tone Marker - Online Tool For Typing Tone Marked Yoruba Content / 10 Most Annoying Phrases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.