Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) (21779 Views)

Aishah Ahmad: Profile Of The CBN Deputy Governor / Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN / Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by slimderek(m): 3:02pm On Jan 12, 2016
I had a POS issue since October, EVen COntacted CBN but no reply from them.
Truely A Wack Country

1 Like

Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by mu2sa2: 3:31pm On Jan 12, 2016
Whenever i hv any issue to resolve with Uba i go to their facebook page and they respond quickly.

1 Like

Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by Auwalms(m): 3:33pm On Jan 12, 2016
islandmoon:

mistake of your life! even when i tried to contact their customer service , see what they said below

postmaster@gtbank.com
To XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Jan 10 at 2:23 AM
----- Forwarded Message -----

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

Complaint (complaints@gtbank.com)
The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending this message later, or contact the recipient directly.

The following organization rejected your message: GONDOR.gtbank.com.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: GONDOR.gtbank.com

GONDOR.gtbank.com
Remote Server returned '554 5.2.2 mailbox full; STOREDRV.Deliver.

I Guess they have blocked me from sending them email for deducting my 2,000 illegally, without approval, too many crooks in our system

cheesy cheesy crooks

If Postmaster@gtbank.com doesn't work try either cardservices.gtbank.com or gtbank@gtbank.com. I believe the serve you
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by salvation77177: 3:35pm On Jan 12, 2016
I am also a victim of this GTB scam or illegal deductions (Don't know what to it).I appeal to all concerned to follow up with complain to the bank and if nothing is done then official complain should be made to CBN as advised. This scam has going on for quite some time now. Enough of it.
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by iblaw: 3:46pm On Jan 12, 2016
I was away in the UK and didn't use my GTB account but still got debited for DIFFERENT ACCOUNT TRANSACTION for the period i was away. sad

Since the banks have lost COT charges we are in really trouble with all kinds of other charges whether savings, current of corporate account.
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by muhakeem(m): 3:58pm On Jan 12, 2016
Swaggzkid:
Op don't be offended ni ooo. I will say thank you for opening a thread like this.

But have noticed one thing here on NL , 79.99% of nairalanders nor dey like read long articles. In short dem no like epistle, they like hilarious kinda stuff and the likes.

What am tryna say in essence is that, if you really want a message to get instilled in every member reading it, Try make it short and brief.
Or you pled them to read to the last dot, by writing it in bolded lettering .

Bashing Is Allowed..........

click LIKE if you agree with me

u just spoke my mind, even this ur own sef too plenty for me to read
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by Swaggzkid: 4:00pm On Jan 12, 2016
muhakeem:
u just spoke my mind, even this ur own sef too plenty for me to read

lol bashing was allowed
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by omorttee4u(m): 4:12pm On Jan 12, 2016
tiamiyukunle69:
GTB and Ecobank are crazy in excessive bank charges

Seconded, especially Ecobank. They are suckers

3 Likes

Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by ifeomaekol(f): 4:14pm On Jan 12, 2016
Thnk u so much for ds write up, I received a msg frm CBN yesterday dt my ATM card had bn de- activated, very funny cos ecobank hv refused since early last year to give me a new card for wch they debited d sum of 1000 thousand naira frm my acct. Am really very angry, rite nw.
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by cutestcee: 4:17pm On Jan 12, 2016
islandmoon:

mistake of your life! even when i tried to contact their customer service , see what they said below

postmaster@gtbank.com
To XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Jan 10 at 2:23 AM
----- Forwarded Message -----

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

Complaint (complaints@gtbank.com)
The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending this message later, or contact the recipient directly.

The following organization rejected your message: GONDOR.gtbank.com.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: GONDOR.gtbank.com

GONDOR.gtbank.com
Remote Server returned '554 5.2.2 mailbox full; STOREDRV.Deliver.

I Guess they have blocked me from sending them email for deducting my 2,000 illegally, without approval, too many crooks in our system

cheesy cheesy crooks
Hmmm
Please house, which bank is more friendly with their deductions from A Corporate Current Account?
I'm done with Zenith bank, and too scared now to continue with GTB

I NEED ADVICE. THANKS
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 12, 2016
richidinho:
ok...i will spend 200 card to complain of N2.50k bank charges?

CBN should just do the right thing shikena!
It doesn't matter how much you spend to get things in order. CBN will only know that something is not working somewhere if we complain. This is how corruption started and by time it grows big, we will then start complaining.
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by muhakeem(m): 4:37pm On Jan 12, 2016
Swaggzkid:

lol bashing was allowed
bashing! whose bashing who na?
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by muhakeem(m): 4:42pm On Jan 12, 2016
Swaggzkid:

lol bashing was allowed
bashing! whose bashing who na?
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 12, 2016
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by teehaywhyooh(f): 5:44pm On Jan 12, 2016
i guess you work at GTBank

Teejava:
First of all, i received the Gens charge too.
It is done at intervals of two months throughout a year and its a service charge for Electronic notification system.Gtb(ens).

Now what is Gens?
Simply any notification as regards your account esp OTP codes i.e ifyu use ur atm for online transaction et all.

GTB is the best as far as am concerned save for their crowded bank halls and high forex exchange rate. Their service is excellent.

So OP, I'm not justifying their actions in anyway, but please don't create threads when you donno sth in Toto.
Thank you.

GTB customer

2 Likes

Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by desy24444(m): 5:56pm On Jan 12, 2016
naijacutee:

Source: http://www.mrpepe.com/banking/how-to-complain-to-the-cbn-about-unethical-bank-charges/
dats good to know. How do I report to NCC that mtn stole my money?
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by OsamaDee: 5:56pm On Jan 12, 2016
Teejava:
It is done at intervals of two months throughout a year and its a service charge for Electronic notification system.Gtb(ens).

Now what is Gens?
Simply any notification as regards your account esp OTP codes i.e ifyu use ur atm for online transaction et all.

GTB is the best as far as am concerned save for their crowded bank halls and high forex exchange rate. Their service is excellent.

So OP, I'm not justifying their actions in anyway, but please don't create threads when you donno sth in Toto.
Thank you.

GTB customer
GTB of then
GTB of now is certainly Unguaranteed
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by economia: 6:04pm On Jan 12, 2016
naijacutee:

Source: http://www.mrpepe.com/banking/how-to-complain-to-the-cbn-about-unethical-bank-charges/
Yesterday, like thousands of GTBank current account customers, I woke up to an unwelcome, ill-timed gift which arrived in this format:

"Desc: SI TRANSACTION (DIFFERENT CUSTOMERS)-GeNS CHARGE FOR 26NOV2015-06JAN2016."

It appeared that I and others had been once again, unexplainably robbed debited of our hard-earned money. At the last count, I counted over 50 complaints on Twitter (to which GTB typed out the generic response: "Enter our DMs"wink and I have been boiling ever since.

What does "Different Customers" even mean, and how does it qualify as a reason to charge whatever the hell they like, right in the middle of a month and without any warning? The most annoying thing about this is that this charge has come in addition to a separate, unspecified charge for November - December. I mean, how can you justify this sort of repeated financial rape from a body that should be begging for your services? Are they shoring up my hard-earned money for an inevitable "MTN style" fine, or now that the CBN directive has abolished Commission on Turnover charges, is this their new money making scheme?

Either way, this is unacceptable and if these banks won't do the right thing, it is about time we the customers make them sit up and realise we pay their fucking salaries. With the current state of the economy, we cannot sit back and let these guys continue to screw us over and act like they are doing us a favour while doing so. Some of the bank staff even have a misplaced sense of sovereignty over our rights as customers, so it's up to us to educate them on how to treat customers.

This year, let us use the little we have to change our situation.

What is little known to the public is that the CBN will listen to customer complaints, as long as the complaints are lodged using their guidelines. So let's do this. If you've been affected, it won't take much of your time, plus I will make this as easy and pain-free as possible in 2 easy steps. However, I will need your commitment to join us in complaining by following the steps below. This is our money and most of all, this is our country and for the sake of our children, we the people must salvage it from the hands of those who want to create a culture of intimidation. Let's do this.

What are the CBN guidelines for lodging complaints about banks?

Step 1. Lodge a complaint with your bank in-branch, and give them 2 weeks to respond. I would suggest first backing yourself up by sending your complaint via email in advance. What you are after is a confirmation that your e-mail has been received and is being dealt with (you will need this if you need to proceed to step 2). If you do get a confirmation, print it out and make a photocopy. Now, you can take a copy of your complaint letter the bank branch.

Below is a free guidance template you can download and adjust to your taste before taking to the bank.

(Downloadable from: http://www.mrpepe.com/banking/how-to-complain-to-the-cbn-about-unethical-bank-charges/)

According to a 2011 CBN circular, all banks are required to provide a consumer complaint help desk and/or expand their ATM help desk to deal with all kinds of complaints. Before you take your complaint to the branch, ensure that you take a photocopy, and ask someone to stamp this to confirm that the branch has received your complaint.

Step 2. If the bank fails to address your complaint after 2 weeks, escalate it to the CBN's consumer protection department. Please note that you cannot escalate the issue without lodging a complaint with your bank first, so please follow the steps as prescribed.

Here is a free template letter you can adjust to suit your taste.

Letter of complaint escalation template to CBN downloadable from http://www.mrpepe.com/banking/how-to-complain-to-the-cbn-about-unethical-bank-charges/

Please personalise this as much as you can, so that it doesn't look like you just copied it word for word off the internet. Then send to the CBN by email and then by post.

Here are contact details for the CBN:

E-mail: cpd@cbn.gov.ng

Letter: Director, Consumer Protection Department, Central Business District, Abuja

Your letter of complaint should be addressed to the Director, Consumer Protection Department. You can submit your letter at the CBN Head Office or at any of of their nationwide branches.

Lagos branch:

Tinubu Square, Lagos, Nigeria. PMB 12194. +(234) 01 2660100, 2660934, 2660624, 2660647

Abuja branch:

Zaria street, Garki II, Nigeria. PMB 0187, Garki, Abuja. +(234) 09 2342132-4, 234332-6, +(234) 09 23435363

Port-Harcourt branch:

2 Bank Road, Nigeria - P.M.B. 5134 Port Harcourt. +(234) 231019, +(234) 084 230539

Some more CBN guidelines to support your complaint:

Your complaint should be clear and concise to avoid ambiguity. The Complaint letter (petition) should contain amongst other things the following:

Name, Address, Contact Phone Number & E-mail of the Complainant;
Name of your Financial Institution;
Personal banking details (Do NOT include PIN & Passwords, pleasewink
History/Date of the transaction in dispute;
Amount claimed (if any)
Attach relevant documents to support you claim and
Evidence to show that you have first lodged the complaint at your bank.
Wait for a response, and follow up if you hear nothing after 2 weeks. Please let me know of your progress in the comments section, let's keep this open an transparent. All the best!

1 Like

Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by engrshakespeare: 6:41pm On Jan 12, 2016
Teejava:

Now what is Gens?

Thank you.

GTB customer

@ The bolded though, grin still wondering what u intended to say
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by richyblink1(m): 7:02pm On Jan 12, 2016
ifeomaekol:
Thnk u so much for ds write up, I received a msg frm CBN yesterday dt my ATM card had bn de- activated, very funny cos ecobank hv refused since early last year to give me a new card for wch they debited d sum of 1000 thousand naira frm my acct. Am really very angry, rite nw.

I guess you got a text asking you to call a particular number, that your ATM card has been de-activated.

For the love of God delete that sms and do not call that specified number as it's a fraud. You would be asked to get your ATM card and call out your pan (the number behind the card). Once that's done, your funds will immidiately disappear from your account.
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by topeontop(m): 7:06pm On Jan 12, 2016
I got the same sms too. I was charged about #350. The least I get charged every month is #200 .It's getting annoying.
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by ImDFavoured1: 7:30pm On Jan 12, 2016
Well done.

Who and how do we report PHCN for taking the light without notice?

economia:

Yesterday, like thousands of GTBank current account customers, I woke up to an unwelcome, ill-timed gift which arrived in this format:

"Desc: SI TRANSACTION (DIFFERENT CUSTOMERS)-GeNS CHARGE FOR 26NOV2015-06JAN2016."

It appeared that I and others had been once again, unexplainably robbed debited of our hard-earned money. At the last count, I counted over 50 complaints on Twitter (to which GTB typed out the generic response: "Enter our DMs"wink and I have been boiling ever since.

What does "Different Customers" even mean, and how does it qualify as a reason to charge whatever the hell they like, right in the middle of a month and without any warning? The most annoying thing about this is that this charge has come in addition to a separate, unspecified charge for November - December. I mean, how can you justify this sort of repeated financial rape from a body that should be begging for your services? Are they shoring up my hard-earned money for an inevitable "MTN style" fine, or now that the CBN directive has abolished Commission on Turnover charges, is this their new money making scheme?

Either way, this is unacceptable and if these banks won't do the right thing, it is about time we the customers make them sit up and realise we pay their fucking salaries. With the current state of the economy, we cannot sit back and let these guys continue to screw us over and act like they are doing us a favour while doing so. Some of the bank staff even have a misplaced sense of sovereignty over our rights as customers, so it's up to us to educate them on how to treat customers.

This year, let us use the little we have to change our situation.

What is little known to the public is that the CBN will listen to customer complaints, as long as the complaints are lodged using their guidelines. So let's do this. If you've been affected, it won't take much of your time, plus I will make this as easy and pain-free as possible in 2 easy steps. However, I will need your commitment to join us in complaining by following the steps below. This is our money and most of all, this is our country and for the sake of our children, we the people must salvage it from the hands of those who want to create a culture of intimidation. Let's do this.

What are the CBN guidelines for lodging complaints about banks?

Step 1. Lodge a complaint with your bank in-branch, and give them 2 weeks to respond. I would suggest first backing yourself up by sending your complaint via email in advance. What you are after is a confirmation that your e-mail has been received and is being dealt with (you will need this if you need to proceed to step 2). If you do get a confirmation, print it out and make a photocopy. Now, you can take a copy of your complaint letter the bank branch.

Below is a free guidance template you can download and adjust to your taste before taking to the bank.

(Downloadable from: http://www.mrpepe.com/banking/how-to-complain-to-the-cbn-about-unethical-bank-charges/)

According to a 2011 CBN circular, all banks are required to provide a consumer complaint help desk and/or expand their ATM help desk to deal with all kinds of complaints. Before you take your complaint to the branch, ensure that you take a photocopy, and ask someone to stamp this to confirm that the branch has received your complaint.

Step 2. If the bank fails to address your complaint after 2 weeks, escalate it to the CBN's consumer protection department. Please note that you cannot escalate the issue without lodging a complaint with your bank first, so please follow the steps as prescribed.

Here is a free template letter you can adjust to suit your taste.

Letter of complaint escalation template to CBN downloadable from http://www.mrpepe.com/banking/how-to-complain-to-the-cbn-about-unethical-bank-charges/

Please personalise this as much as you can, so that it doesn't look like you just copied it word for word off the internet. Then send to the CBN by email and then by post.

Here are contact details for the CBN:

E-mail: cpd@cbn.gov.ng

Letter: Director, Consumer Protection Department, Central Business District, Abuja

Your letter of complaint should be addressed to the Director, Consumer Protection Department. You can submit your letter at the CBN Head Office or at any of of their nationwide branches.

Lagos branch:

Tinubu Square, Lagos, Nigeria. PMB 12194. +(234) 01 2660100, 2660934, 2660624, 2660647

Abuja branch:

Zaria street, Garki II, Nigeria. PMB 0187, Garki, Abuja. +(234) 09 2342132-4, 234332-6, +(234) 09 23435363

Port-Harcourt branch:

2 Bank Road, Nigeria - P.M.B. 5134 Port Harcourt. +(234) 231019, +(234) 084 230539

Some more CBN guidelines to support your complaint:

Your complaint should be clear and concise to avoid ambiguity. The Complaint letter (petition) should contain amongst other things the following:

Name, Address, Contact Phone Number & E-mail of the Complainant;
Name of your Financial Institution;
Personal banking details (Do NOT include PIN & Passwords, pleasewink
History/Date of the transaction in dispute;
Amount claimed (if any)
Attach relevant documents to support you claim and
Evidence to show that you have first lodged the complaint at your bank.
Wait for a response, and follow up if you hear nothing after 2 weeks. Please let me know of your progress in the comments section, let's keep this open an transparent. All the best!

Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by ikorodureporta: 7:35pm On Jan 12, 2016
First bank dd this sht to me some days ago, re-deducting all the monthly charges they'v already deducted....7months charges!

Thez guyz are criminals. Imagine deducting N65 from 100,000 accounts
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by ifeomaekol(f): 8:09pm On Jan 12, 2016
richyblink1:

I guess you got a text asking you to call a particular number, that your ATM card has been de-activated.

For the love of God delete that sms and do not call that specified number as it's a fraud. You would be asked to get your ATM card and call out your pan (the number behind the card). Once that's done, your funds will immidiately disappear from your account.
jehovah ehhhhhhh, yes d msg came wt a num dt I shuld call for futher inquries n all bt I hvnt called d num. I dnt even hv d card wt me cos d old one had expired long ago, chaiiii, thnk u soooo much for ds information. Hw much wey I get for acct, wey persin frm pit of hell wan take? Dt means d msg is fake, chai. Thnk u ooooo, God bless u reallll good. The msg reads thus: dear customer, due to the BVN validation in compliance with CBN bank directives, your ATM card has been de activated. Call our help line on; 00923470651699579. Pls others shuld take note n b careful of such msgs. Thnks richy.

1 Like

Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by Otunba4eva: 9:14pm On Jan 12, 2016
richyblink1:

I got the message too, this is the exact message sent to me and the number I was asked to call.
"Dear customer, Due to our BVN system upgrade your ATM CARD has been deactivated, to re activate, kindly call the interswitch customer care line on +2347068295911". This is the sender number +2348168922325.
I guess some of the banking staffs might be involve in this scams, but if it's so then it's a big shame to our banking industry. Unfortunately I don't even use Atm cards for my cash withdrawals and also I knew that it's a scam because am well informed and learned. Central bank of Nigeria will never direct interswitch to carry out such obligation. I hope this will enlighten people not to fall for such scams. And I employ appropriate security and law enforcement agent to follow up on this to apprehend the fraudsters.
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 12, 2016
teehaywhyooh:
i guess you work at GTBank

I guess you're still high on that smirn off and peppersoup..lol
Ion work at GTB for the record
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 12, 2016
OsamaDee:

GTB of then
GTB of now is certainly Unguaranteed
Please emphasize more and suggest any safer bank(s). Thanks
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jan 12, 2016
engrshakespeare:

@ The bolded though, grin still wondering what u intended to say
Baba mi google ia always there @ur service.
BTW you don spoil
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by Hardetayour: 1:30am On Jan 13, 2016
Ymodulus:
Typing ...

Gtbank and some kind of SI Transaction deductions.

They claim it's alert charges. But this kind alert charges they too much
Good Morning. I sent u a PM some days ago. I'll really like to discuss business related matters with you. I'll really appreciate if you could acknowledge by following back and send a PM. Thanks in advance
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by funkyjms: 2:40am On Jan 13, 2016
R
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by engrshakespeare: 7:47am On Jan 13, 2016
Teejava:

Baba mi google ia always there @ur service.
BTW you don spoil
No be me write am sha
Re: Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) by Nobody: 10:04am On Jan 13, 2016
engrshakespeare:

No be me write am sha

Baddest guy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Johnmary Jideobi: Allen Onyema Should Not Be Extradited To US - Lawyer To Court / Dollar Scarcity Stops Capital Repatriation By Investors / UBA Charges COT On Savings Accounts: Be Warned!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.