Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? (12058 Views)

Going Natural..... A Curse Or A Blessing? / Why Nigerian Women Are Going Natural / Introducing The Nylon Skinny Wears. New Style Of Going Nakéd (photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Nobody: 1:24am On Aug 02, 2009
gd pt gamine

but the criticism sef-dont pple just give up, i've been natural for 6 years and still i get remarks

i seriously DONT miss relaxers

i still struggle with tangles, how do you tackle them?. i'm always open to new ideas
Currently i've not had braids or weave in abt 3 months, last time i tried that was when my hair was shorter

@sissy

well said
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by oyinda3(f): 1:37am On Aug 02, 2009
tangles is my only problem as well undecided i dunno what to do with them.

i want to be able to wash my hair in twists but i can't because of tangles. undecided i have made up my mind tho that i will wash my hair once a month. n will be cowashing in between. i heard it's good for tangles undecided
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Chique63: 9:55am On Aug 03, 2009
unfortunately,av neva come across 'pure' shea butter.I mean do u procure it locally,is dere any local name 4 it
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by oyinda3(f): 11:38pm On Aug 03, 2009
pure shea butter is ora in yoruba. that thing they use for baby rashes in naija n dry skin i think.
it's very moisturizing.

Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Chique63: 1:34pm On Aug 04, 2009
@oyinda,tanx.i rily needed dat one.lol.
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Bimbola26: 10:32pm On Aug 09, 2009
I went back on my word. I RELAXED my hair today and i hated doing it. However it was necessary as my cousin's wedding involves me having my hair in a weave. As i am one of her bridemaids i did not want to make things complicated for her.

However i did something that would help me when i refuse to relax my hair and that was to cut almost 3/4 of the length of my hair. So for the first time in 12 years i have short hair. It is almost 5 inches long.

At least if i must relax my hair for the wedding there is no need for me to keep the length. So i guess i did a semi big chop.
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by oyinda3(f): 10:38pm On Aug 09, 2009
aww i'm sure it's cute nevertheless tongue
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Gamine(f): 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2009
Awwww cry cry

You went back.

hehe, its all good though.

just treat your hair well, wateva you do
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 09, 2009
Bimbola26:

I went back on my word. I RELAXED my hair today and i hated doing it. However it was necessary as my cousin's wedding involves me having my hair in a weave. As i am one of her bridemaids i did not want to make things complicated for her.

However i did something that would help me when i refuse to relax my hair and that was to cut almost 3/4 of the length of my hair. So for the first time in 12 years i have short hair. It is almost 5 inches long.

At least if i must relax my hair for the wedding there is no need for me to keep the length. So i guess i did a semi big chop.

I feel ya, am about to get my hair permed too. Being natural is really really tough. Big Ups to women that went/are natural.
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Hauwa1: 7:27pm On Sep 09, 2009
yes it is tough. if you should see my hair in the morning, you go run shocked. so kinky, hard, and weird. combing is a huge task.

but i have to rest from perm and twist for now.
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 09, 2009
lol, my own is still on the soft side, still got some relaxed hair.

But its blah lipsrsealed
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by goldilocks(f): 10:19am On Mar 19, 2010
braids girls. this girl in my medical anthro class braided her hair for two yrs non stop omg now u need to see her hair and the best part is that she looks so beautiful and earthy that is one thing about natural hair tough or no tough i must conquer
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Nobody: 11:23am On Mar 19, 2010
Thats what im doing, Im 1 year post relaxer now and braids are a life saver. My hair is so long and full now im tempted to relax but I will chop it when im comfortable enough with the natural length. Wish me luck guys cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Sissy3(f): 11:51am On Mar 19, 2010
doesn't continuous braiding of hair damage/weakens it?
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Mar 19, 2010
Not really, remember how we did our hair in school, back to back weaving or thread and our hair was healthier, longer and fuller? It because we were not messing with the hair i.e no heat, glue, gel, dye, relaxer etc.
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Sissy3(f): 9:43pm On Mar 19, 2010
i guess but those edges. . . .
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Nobody: 12:52am On Mar 20, 2010
Well if its tiny individuals then it may pull out the hair but if its medium sized. I dont think there would be a problem.
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Liss: 10:55pm On Mar 24, 2010
Love this thread, Thought I was the only one in the world who hated relaxed hair. I had to bow under pressure and relax my hair but I hate it. My sisters were always making me feel weird!

I started questioning myself when I realised my hair is at its healthiest when it is natural. I want to go all natural agian but I am seriously scared about it. Nigerians are not favourable to natural hair o. I am currently thinking of going natural and currently braided my hair in school children style and been covering it with wigs, lol

Don't know what to do as I am confused but this thread has really helped. Will keep checking it so I can decide what to do about it.

Thanks y'all,
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by whiteroses(f): 2:48pm On Mar 25, 2010
i am natural to be honest its hard! period and my hairstyle is limited sad i can only do braids, not even pick and drop, or weave and it wont look natural cos the weave has to be 100% closed. but i'm a fan of big hair so it doesnt bother me as long as my hair is chilling inside, let the extensions come in grin
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by bluespice(f): 1:39pm On Mar 27, 2010
since i had my big chop, i've only had braids or any form of extension in for 3 months at most (i had my big chop in july last year). Granted it can be very limiting with regards to the styles i carry, my sensitive scalp won't have it any other way (if i don't wash in a week, i begin to itch badly. i must confess i haven't tried the dry shampoos though. . .)
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by cooltobex(m): 1:45pm On Mar 27, 2010
going natural entails you finding out what really siuts you and not trying to do what someone else did or said. going natural entails you knowing the real "you", what pisses you off or what you really adore not trying to do "photocopy"
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by bluespice(f): 1:49pm On Mar 27, 2010
cool-tobex:

going natural entails you finding out what really siuts you and not trying to do what someone else did or said. going natural entails you knowing the real "you", what pisses you off or what you really adore not trying to do "photocopy"
it's only hair undecided
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Bimbola26: 11:13pm On Mar 28, 2010
Just wanted to inform you all about my journey. It has been about 7 months since i relaxed my hair and growth has been kinda of slow. I cut about 95% of the remaining relaxed portion of my hair and have been rocking weaves and ghana weaving.

Ghana weaving normally cuts my hair but my hair stylist now puts brush ( a little space) before each conrow so it does not cut it anymore.
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by hairqueen: 6:25pm On Aug 18, 2010
The transition process really depends on what you feel like being bothered with in terms of hair care maintenance. If you are active and don't have time for daily hair styling then wear braids or sew-in weaves only for at least 2-3 months at a time.

Make sure when you remove these hair styles you use the take down removal system process so that your natural hair won't break as it goes through the withdrawl from being constantly relaxed. You can then begin to cut off an inch or 2 of the relaxed hair every time you remove the braids or weave.

Make sure you also use leave in conditioners so your natural hair wont get dry. If you don't mind daily hair styling, then just cut all the relaxer off. But you must use moisturizers and oils to restore the texture of your hair during the transition. Sometimes the texture of your hair will feel so dry.

Its never too late to love your natural hair, cheers smiley
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Nobody: 4:14am On Mar 15, 2011
found this interesting blog:

http://bglhonline.com/category/naturals-from-around-the-world/page/4/

scroll down to the nigerian lady.
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Corinne777(f): 11:22am On Apr 04, 2012
When I went natural I didn't know what to use either. Did tonnes of research and came across a few websites. One I really like was http://www.nexrastore.com/

They have a cool magazine and video clips on natural hair products.
Re: I Am Thinking Of Going Natural...What's The Transition Process? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 19, 2013
Naturals In The City (NITC) Event on April 6th in Lagos

Come buy hair products for natural hair; Carol's Daughter, Palmers, Shea Radiance etc

Talk about hair. Exchange tips on getting healthy head of hair.

See you there smiley

DamiK
Amaila Hair Products
www.facebook.com/AmailaHairCareLagos

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anybody Can Sew Like A Professional! / Meet The Most Handsome Man In The World / Breasts, Hips And Butts Enlargement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.