Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar (37727 Views)

Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market / Naira Crashes As FG Denies Currency Swap Deal / Naira Crashes To 300 Against Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by sodiamond: 7:30am On Jan 13, 2016
This is not what Buhari promised o

3 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by disloman(m): 7:30am On Jan 13, 2016
Most of comments made are so childish and senseless.I don't know where the price trade of BDC been used to determines the economy of a country.The way we played politics here is sicken.

1 Like

Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by uchwar1: 7:30am On Jan 13, 2016
GenBuhari:
No need to panic.
This will only discourage imports.
FG is still maintaining fuel price N86 per litre.
No shaking !!
See your life brother...

2 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by uchwar1: 7:31am On Jan 13, 2016
GenBuhari:
No need to panic.
No shaking !!
See your life brother...
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by lielbree: 7:31am On Jan 13, 2016
GenBuhari:
No need to panic.

No shaking !!
Fuel is still 120 where I stay o
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by SangoCrusader: 7:31am On Jan 13, 2016
You people panicking... Baba's body language will correct
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by Etizz: 7:31am On Jan 13, 2016
This is serious,...
Is there a reason for the crash?

Is there something to be done to avoid this crash...?

Wit there is a solution, why is it difficult to fix?

I am a learner and I need to know...

1 Like

Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by Nobody: 7:32am On Jan 13, 2016
passionate88:
They removed subsidy but you'll ganged up and lied to the senseless ones that it's hardship the government is bringing to Nigerians.

You are talking to someone who is a PDP opponent who has supported the removal of the subsidy since 2006....so that accusation is wrongly directed.

Removing subsidy made economic sense....the problem is explaining to a Nigerian earning under a dollar a day why he/she has to pay more than one dollar (at the time) for a liter of fuel.....especially when fuel prices have been rising from 75 kobo in 1991....to N140 in 2011.

Nigerians love awoof.....sadly...even when it is not in their interest.
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by plaetton: 7:32am On Jan 13, 2016
Kikero112:

True federalism would increase cash for the treasury(It would certainly make the govt regulate the really unregulated mining/solid minerals sector...where Nigeria loses millions of naira monthly).

But at the end of the day.....it just means that each region is selling raw materials....to international buyers .....at prices we do not control.

In other words....back to square one.(What happens when prices of cocoa/cotton/minerals/etc drop? What happens if oil goes below $10 per barrel?)

Which is why I think industrial and scientific development is the way froward. If we produce goods that we can export....we would earn lots of forex. Plus...should we have to devalue the currency....it would make our industrial goods cheaper.....increasing the cash accruing to our local industries....and helping them grow well....including in jobs).

Also....we need to save money, and cut costs. True federalism means nothing when the costs of running the bureaucracy are still ultra high.

Who wants true federalism when the oligarchs just want permanently parasite on this perverted system ?

This system is not working.
This house has fallen.

But everyone wants to keep managing it the way it is.

I go beta.
God de.
The poor man's ( poor mind's) anthem.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by HzRF(m): 7:33am On Jan 13, 2016
Kikero112:

Well....you also have to remember that oil prices are dropping too....which means no forex to buffer up the Naira....which can lead to the CBN holding even tighter to the dollars it does have....which makes things harder.

Fact is....Nigeria should have built an industrial economy based on raw materials ages ago. While GEJ should have saved....saving cash would have delayed this issue till next year.

Saved

Is it not your apc saint gov that took FG to Court, forcing GEJ to share ECA

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by Nobody: 7:34am On Jan 13, 2016
ultrazone:

www.punchng.com/naira-crashes-to-300-against-dollar/
it is only in Nigeria , where govt supply foreign currency to bureau de change .we should stop dz illegal speculations and face the reality on ground.if you need $..and other forex .approach ur bank...u will definitely get it at the official xchange rate plus 5%commission on transactions . govt should withdraw all the bdc licences and declared their activities illegal.
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by Nobody: 7:37am On Jan 13, 2016
HzRF:

Saved

Is it not your apc saint gov that took FG to Court, forcing GEJ to share ECA

Most of the governors who took the FG to court a few years ago...were in PDP....so stop pretending it was all APC.

And how about all the unauthorized withdrawals from the treasury by the FG back then? Hmm?

How about the N12trn debt they left us in at the end of the whole show
.? Hmm?

Anyway...if you have been following my posts on this thread.....you would see that I state that saving money won't have sloved the problem. Eventually....we have to diversify and industrialise.
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 13, 2016
sodiamond:
This is not what Buhari promised o

Right...we know that.

So...based on the current situation...what do you think he should do differently?

And I have dropped my ideas here....where's yours?
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by FullDepth1: 7:38am On Jan 13, 2016
Kikero112:

As you are laughing....remember that we are in this situation because the other guys ....PDP.....forgot to save enough money in the account, and forgot to diversify our economy sufficiently.

And if they were STILL in charge .....they would be doing the same thing.

The elephant in the room is AUSTERITY.....and it remains to be seen whether Nigerians and the current government are ready to make that sacrifice.

So don't laugh. Seven months is hardly enough time to reverse the mess of four years of failure to save.....and of failure to properly diversify.

Nigeria must now work for its money.

We'd rather put it this way:- "PDP saved this country by reviving all the Refineries in Nigeria"
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by zuru1991: 7:39am On Jan 13, 2016
Why won't everything crumble, when they appoint aboki's that knows only livestock, and cattle rearing, I Laff naija youth God no say if we the youth want money na connect for this administration. Even America appointed a young Gee. As leader. BTW I laff Donald Trump.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by Nobody: 7:40am On Jan 13, 2016
sunshine1974:
Save which money? Is it d one d governors took FG to court for? U remember dere is something called sovereign wealth fund started by obj's administration, but instead of saving, ur mumu governors spear headed by amaechi as d chairman took d FG to court dat all monies must be shared, dat nothing shld be saved......pls go and ask amaechi and stop blaming jonathan for not saving.

Most of the governors at the time were PDP governors....including those in GEJ's camp.

Plus...your government was making unauthorised withdrawals from the account(which is what provoked the lawsuit in the first place).And...they did not remove subsides.

So...it is still GEJ's fault.

Even then....it hardly matters. We still have to get offoil.
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 13, 2016
FullDepth1:

We'd rather put it this way:- "PDP saved this country by reviving all the Refineries in Nigeria"

Yes...we can commend PDP for reviving them refineries....but that still leaves us with a shortfall that we have to make up via imports.

Until Dangote's refinery comes on stream....and additionally...till we build three new ones too.
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by onatisi(m): 7:43am On Jan 13, 2016
trillville:
The fg is playing reactionary games and so they are always behind the curve. Government shouldn't have waited for oil to hit $30 before stopping the sale of forex to bdc's. This should have been done a long time ago.

Government needs to drastically reduce its recurrent expenditure and at the same time listen to the advice by both Soludo and Sanusi, and devalue the naira moderately.
Don't forget we have a baba go slow as president,he will only react in his own fullness of time maybe by then the exchange rate would be 750 naira to 1 dollar

2 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by sirwilli(m): 7:43am On Jan 13, 2016
Kikero112:

Well, that still indicts your PDP particlualry as most of the governors who agitiatied for the sharing of the cash....were in PDP too.

And anyway.....we also failed to remove subsides completely. We also did nothing about the importataion of fuel, and the GEJ govt was making unauthorised withdrawals from the account....which we now see revealed via dasukigate. Sorry who are the PDP governor's..... Hahahahaha same APC government in power now. Bad meats that want to kill Economy under GEJ but run enter APC .....

But it doesn't matter. Even if GEJ had saved like Scrooge.....we would be in this mess next year. The best we could have done would have reached $100bn.

The real issue is that we have to raise taxes, end corruption and tighten the seatbelts......which the govt has done the first two already (No 3 is not being done....BMW things sadly).Eventually, we are going to have to go the austerity route. If it is any consolation to you....we shouldahve made those choices back in the 1970's....and gone industrial too.

Sorry....but your PDP is partly to blame. Your governors in PDP were part of the sharing. Your government back then was not strong enough to make the hard choices that were needed, as well as to stop the massive leakages in our revenue.Pretending that it is all APC's fault is flawed thinking.

But...beyond politics.....we have to diversify away from oil.
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by segun5A(m): 7:45am On Jan 13, 2016
Just 6yrs rule of a clueless and myopic slowpoke. Everything is messed up and difficult to correct.

I curse u GEJ
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by Nobody: 7:45am On Jan 13, 2016
zuru1991:
Why won't everything crumble, when they appoint aboki's that knows only livestock, and cattle rearing, I Laff naija youth God no say if we the youth want money na connect for this administration. Even America appointed a young Gee. As leader. BTW I laff Donald Trump.

Well...your livestock rearer is doing some sensible things

1.Hoarding dollars....so that we do not have to devalue the naira...which would lead to even more problems.

2.Increasing revenues from taxes

3.Fighitng corruption

All that is left now is costs reduction(don't buy the BMW's) and industrial revival.

Or what do you think he should do differently? I await your answer.
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by spartacusdove(m): 7:45am On Jan 13, 2016
Kikero112:

Even if PDP had saved every last bit of money...it would have only delayed things till next year.

The main issue is our resource dependency...which APC has to correct.That is what they were elected for...whether they realise it or not.

If PDP had not wasted all our foreign reserve for their reelection bid, we will have something now to diversify and stabilize the economy
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by ichidodo: 7:46am On Jan 13, 2016
Kikero112:

In 2008....we had over $60bn in our accounts...plus we had our debts forgiven, and our banks were in a healthy state thanks to Soludoquine.And oil prices began rising again the following year.

In 2015....we have less than $30bn in our accounts, we have heavy debts, oil prices are falling, and furthermore....there is no chance of their rising again in the next five years.

Sorry....but hardly the same situation.
trillions of naira Debts forgiven=All thanks to Madam Ngozi Okonjo Iweala....$60BN saved= All thanx to Madam Ngozi Okonjo Iweala but remember all these occured without interference from Amaechi and co before she left Government work before 2008......But APC offers nothing but Propaganda,illiteracy and blinding poverty for gullible Nigerians..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by Nobody: 7:48am On Jan 13, 2016
spartacusdove:

If PDP had not wasted all our foreign reserve for their reelection bid, we will have something now to diversify and stabilize the economy

By my estimate....if PDP had saved money...we would have had $100bn in our reserves....which is $24bn less than what Saudi spent to prop up its currency last year....out of $724bn it had at the end of 2014.

The problem is bigger than we thought.
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by HzRF(m): 7:51am On Jan 13, 2016
Kikero112:

Most of the governors who took the FG to court a few years ago...were in PDP....so stop pretending it was all APC.

And how about all the unauthorized withdrawals from the treasury by the FG back then? Hmm?

How about the N12trn debt they left us in at the end of the whole show
.? Hmm?

Anyway...if you have been following my posts on this thread.....you would see that I state that saving money won't have sloved the problem. Eventually....we have to diversify and industrialise.
GEJ offence was that he want to save while amaechi and his Co sees opportunity loot using the fact that GEJ took frm the fund to save us from fuel scarcity (paying subsidy). Aregbesola, Amaechi headline the opposition to saving

D 12trn is both the domestic and external debt Google d break down
APC States account for the most of the debt
Fashola (Lagos) borrowed more than any States

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/183665-bulk-of-nigerias-63-billion-debt-incurred-by-apc-states-pdp.html
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by fulfillbill(m): 7:51am On Jan 13, 2016
I noticed that Nigerian govt does not do anything for the long term,they always want to create an impression politically rather than hit the ground running with long term policies.
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by slimgold123(f): 7:51am On Jan 13, 2016
Yeeeeeeeeeeh?
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by Dcaliphate(m): 7:52am On Jan 13, 2016
Still waiting for Buhari's mindless promise to make N1=$1
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by SOPIGO: 7:52am On Jan 13, 2016
Bros whether d 'joke' as u call 'm is lame or cripple or even borrow leg na ur palava, & I don't want to know how or processes it takes for N1=$1, na result I want see as them promise during campaign. They themselves nor know say those things u mentioned involved. Abeg abeg nor dey give excuse on behalf of themooooo. Abi u follow deceive d masses or u be sub Lia Mohammed. I use ur self take beg u.
Leave Trash for LAWMA.
Kikero112:

This joke is lame...really lame.

But...let's get serious.

The road to N1=$1 is very plain

1.Remove subsides, increase taxes, school fees fuel price, end corruption, and tighten the borders.

2.Reduce government costs by sacking excess workers, and by tightly monitoring government spending.

3.Spend more on Power generation and transmission.

4.Spend less on imports, and more on made in Nigeria goods.

5.In the short term....increase revenue generation from agriculture and mines. Note that I said short term

6.Savings,savings, savings.

7.Grant favourable concessions to local and foreign investors who will invest in industries that use Nigerian raw materials.

8.All the above will take years....but if we do it, we could have N1=$1 in ten years.

Assignment: A not so brief history of the fall and fall of the Nigerian naira.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by Nobody: 7:53am On Jan 13, 2016
plainmirror:
Importation suffers
Exportation buffers
Politicians are looters
Leaving our economy in blisters

Yahoo go take over now
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by tiredface: 7:55am On Jan 13, 2016
YEP, STILL RUNNING STUFF WITH HIS HOME BOYS. A MAN THAT COULDN'T PASS ANY OF HIS EXAM BUT NONTHELESS, WAS PROMOTED ON QUOTA IS RUNNIG THE SHOW. DONT BE FOOOOLED, HE DOESN'T HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BE THERE. THE WORST IS YET TO COME, HE SAID IT NOT ME. MAY GOD HELP THOSE WHO DON'T BELEIVE IN THIS MUMU OF A PRESIDENT
Re: Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 13, 2016
HzRF:

GEJ offence was that he want to save while amaechi and his Co sees opportunity loot using the fact that GEJ took frm the fund to save us from fuel scarcity (paying subsidy). Aregbesola, Amaechi headline the opposition to saving

And your PDP governors joined them in the suit. Add the fact that the FG was also making deductions from the account...which is what got us here in the first place.

Subsidy was opposed because people could not see the benefit. All they saw was ''we are getting another increase in fuel price''(For the record...I support subsidy removal,and have done so for the last ten years).

D 12trn is both the domestic and external debt Google d break down
APC States account for the most of the debt
Fashola (Lagos) borrowed more than any States

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/183665-bulk-of-nigerias-63-billion-debt-incurred-by-apc-states-pdp.html

What can I say? Our states too are in need of innovative development....not just chopping allocation every year.

Still does not excuse GEJ's government bad performance though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Best Method To Send Money Abroad (US)? / Ore Industrial Park Ondo Begins Full Operations (Photos) / BVN Registration Extended To October

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.