Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays (729 Views)

Daddy Freeze To Pastor Adeboye: "Pope Drinks Beer And Doesn't Pay Tithe" / "Christians Should Apologise To Gays" - Pope Francis / Christians Divided On Hillsong Stance On Gays Serving In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays by Mobi47(m): 8:28pm On Jan 13, 2016
“On that occasion I said this: If a person is gay and seeks out the Lord and is willing, who am I to judge that person?” Pope Francis told Tornielli. “I was paraphrasing by heart the Catechism of the Catholic Church where it says that these people should be treated with delicacy and not be marginalized.”
“I am glad that we are talking about 'homosexual people' because before all else comes the individual person, in his wholeness and dignity. And people should not be defined only by their sexual tendencies: let us not forget that God loves all his creatures and we are destined to receive his infinite love. I prefer that homosexuals come to confession, that they stay close to the Lord, and that we pray all together. You can advise them to pray, show goodwill, show them the way, and accompany them along it.

In the work, Pope Francis explains that he considers the present day a special time of mercy for the Church. He chose to hold a Year for Mercy through prayer and reflection on the teachings of recent Popes, as well as his own thought of the Church as a field hospital for sinners.

“Mercy is God’s identity card. God of Mercy, merciful God. For me, this really is the Lord’s identity,” he reflects.
In The Name of God is Mercy, Pope Francis includes advice for confessors and for penitents.
“I feel compelled to say to confessors: talk, listen with patience, and above all tell people that God loves them,” he said.
And Pope Francis' advice for making a good confession is that the penitent “ought to reflect on the truth of his life, of what he feels and what he thinks before God. He ought to be able to look earnestly at himself and his sin. He ought to feel like a sinner, so that he can be amazed by God. In order to be filled with his gift of infinite mercy, we need to recognize our need, our emptiness, our wretchedness. We cannot be arrogant.”

Ref
www.spiritdaily.com
Re: Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays by chuose: 8:47pm On Jan 13, 2016
The Pope won't Judge gays but condemns paedophiles.
So paedophilia is evil to him and not homosexuality.
Re: Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays by ayobase(m): 8:56pm On Jan 13, 2016
He didn't support and he didn't condemn.
Re: Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays by analice107: 10:50am On Jan 14, 2016
ayobase:
He didn't support and he didn't condemn.
That's because he will be judging and condenming himself and his sex partner, because he is gay himself.

1 Like

Re: Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays by eazyjay4(m): 10:57am On Jan 14, 2016
analice107:

That's because he will be judging and condenming himself and his sex partner, because he is gay himself.
I pray the lord shows you mercy.
Re: Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays by vooks: 11:11am On Jan 14, 2016
analice107:

That apart, why does he judge corruption, users of contraceptives, IVF and so forth?

The answer is simple; assuming an ambiguous position on this absolves Catholicism of any stigma associated with standing for the truth namely God is opposed to homosexuality
Re: Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays by CoolUsername: 2:57pm On Jan 14, 2016
chuose:

Well duh! Consexual sex between two (or more, if you're living life to the fullest, or even solo) doesn't hurt anyone while paedophilia hurts little children.

So I don't quite follow what you're saying.

1 Like

Re: Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays by chuose: 3:31am On Jan 18, 2016
CoolUsername:

Well duh! Consexual sex between two (or more, if you're living life to the fullest, or even solo) doesn't hurt anyone while paedophilia hurts little children.

So I don't quite follow what you're saying.

No dey talk like ur GMB.

God forbade sex between Man & Man.

Leviticus 18:22 (KJV)
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
Re: Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays by Empredboy(m): 8:17am On Jan 18, 2016
chuose:
why then did Jesus condemned the pharisees and the saddusees but didn't condemn the adulterous woman? Does that mean Jesus too had sex partners?

1 Like

Re: Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays by Empredboy(m): 8:19am On Jan 18, 2016
analice107:

why then did Jesus condemned the pharisees and the saddusees but didn't condemn
the adulterous woman? Does that mean Jesus too had sex partners?
Re: Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays by CoolUsername: 6:39pm On Jan 18, 2016
chuose:

No dey talk like ur GMB.

God forbade sex between Man & Man.

Leviticus 18:22 (KJV)
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Let's not bring religious opinion into matters of people's rights because it only ends up oppressing those whose beliefs differ.

1 Like

Re: Pope Explains His 'who Am I To Judge' Remark On Gays by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jan 18, 2016
Smh

(1) (Reply)

Australia’s First Hijab Wearing Muslim Captain And Engineer (photos) / Is God Not Great / Have You Seen Prophet Jesus Pbuh ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.