Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,341 members, 7,957,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 12:35 AM

Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord (6578 Views)

Mikkyphp's Free Paint Job / The Thread For Free Paint Job / FREE Paint Job For 1 Lucky Nairalander. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 9:19pm On Jan 13, 2016
After much care for my engine and not being able to rig Gazzuzz's free paint-job promo in my favour cheesy, I decided to restore the finish or should I say respray my car.
I'm retaining the same colour. The paint job is mainly inspired by the fact that a couple areas of paint on the car have aged Don't know if that's the right word.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 9:24pm On Jan 13, 2016
The car before it all started. Looks clean from here...

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 9:25pm On Jan 13, 2016
But...
Here's the ageing thingy I talked about. Anyone in the house, what causes this?

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 9:31pm On Jan 13, 2016
Day 1

Light panel beating: alignment of offset bumpers edges, a bit of hammering out of the few dents
Painter starts filling

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 13, 2016
Poor quality clear lacquer. Or poorly applied. It has flaked off, leaving the 2-pack metallic paintwork exposed to the elements.

1 Like

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 9:35pm On Jan 13, 2016
Siena:
Poor quality clear lacquer. Or poorly applied. It has flaked off, leaving the 2-pack metallic paintwork exposed to the elements.

Thanks Siena. I also observed it was only present in areas where the sun would impact directly. Was thinking the hot weather had something to do with it. Thanks again.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 9:37pm On Jan 13, 2016
More imperfections identified and sanded...
Never mind the funny looking tail light. The replacement has already been bought.

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by DuchessLily(f): 9:39pm On Jan 13, 2016
Lol @ rig paint job to ur favour; na naija election? grin

3 Likes

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 9:40pm On Jan 13, 2016
More dents filled...

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 9:47pm On Jan 13, 2016
DuchessLily:
Lol @ rig paint job to ur favour; na naija election? grin

My dear I desired it badly but due to work wouldn't have been able to visit Lagos for 7days so I passed on it.
Resizing pictures,
Uploading shortly...
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:19pm On Jan 13, 2016
Day 2

The whole car was sanded in preparation for painting. Here's the now aligned bumpers

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:21pm On Jan 13, 2016
"Old man areas" rejuvenated!

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:24pm On Jan 13, 2016
More filling and sanding. All imperfections must go!

Modified.
The Accord logo has been taken off. The rest will follow soon as it gets ready to bake

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:28pm On Jan 13, 2016
Still working...
getting ready to be primed.

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:33pm On Jan 13, 2016
The front end was not left out...
I was particularly interested in sanding and filling all chips on the hood no matter how small.

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:35pm On Jan 13, 2016
Car is finally ready to be primed and that concludes day 2. So far so good. Thank you Lord!
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by lonelydora: 7:17am On Jan 14, 2016
Lol @ rig to your favor.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Nobody: 7:45am On Jan 14, 2016
You should have weighed the car before and after, curious to see how many pounds of bondo you caked on.

1 Like

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:23am On Jan 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:
You should have weighed the car before and after, curious to see how many pounds of bondo you caked on.

Lol. They are actually very light. A lot if the things you see are just scratches.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jan 14, 2016
Piyke:

Lol. They are actually very light. A lot if the things you see are just scratches.

Okay I guess.

It's just that over here you work out the dents, at least on metal parts, and use bondo very sparingly.

Good luck on the project.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 1:40pm On Jan 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Okay I guess.

It's just that over here you work out the dents, at least on metal parts, and use bondo very sparingly.

Good luck on the project.

That's exactly what was done.

Thanks a lot!
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jan 14, 2016
Piyke:

That's exactly what was done.

You didn't show those pics. I didn't see any dent removal tools or removing of door panels, etc

If done properly one should still be able to pass a magnet over the repaired areas and it sticks.

1 Like

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 5:53pm On Jan 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You didn't show those pics. I didn't see any dent removal tools or removing of door panels, etc

If done properly one should still be able to pass a magnet over the repaired areas and it sticks.

Yea. Didn't actually take the pics of the removal of the door panels. It didn't occur to me I should include it in this or should I say I wasn't sure I was going to write this up.
Both rear door panels were removed to beat out dents in the metal. The roof padding was also peeled back a little to push out a dent just above the rear right door. The inner parts of my moon roof railing made it a bit difficult pushing out the dent but the panel beater finally got it done with a curved metal bar.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 14, 2016
Piyke:

Yea. Didn't actually take the pics of the removal of the door panels. It didn't occur to me I should include it in this or should I say I wasn't sure I was going to write this up.
Both rear door panels were removed to beat out dents in the metal. The roof padding was also peeled back a little to push out a dent just above the rear right door. The inner parts of my moon roof railing made it a bit difficult pushing out the dent but the panel beater finally got it done with a curved metal bar.

Thanks again.

Excellent.

My intention here is not to brow beat you or diminish your excellent DIY project, but it's important to show the proper process to whoever wants to take on such a feat after your demonstration.

Carry go, nothing do you grin
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 7:45pm On Jan 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Excellent.

My intention here is not to brow beat you or diminish your excellent DIY project, but it's important to show the proper process to whoever wants to take on such a feat after your demonstration.

Carry go, nothing do you grin

Thanks my Oga. But this one pass my DIY power cheesy Using a painter & panel beater for this one wink

Resuming...
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 7:48pm On Jan 14, 2016
Day 3 - Priming day.

At the end of the day, all affected areas had been primed...

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 7:53pm On Jan 14, 2016
More...

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 7:55pm On Jan 14, 2016
Some more...
The primed areas were also sanded.

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 7:58pm On Jan 14, 2016
As I washed the car, I noted a few etches that needed sanding and concealing.
They are tiny but attention to detail is the difference between an okay job and a great one.

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 8:00pm On Jan 14, 2016
A few more areas needing to be touched up before painting were also identified and marked for treatment on day 4.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:18pm On Jan 14, 2016
Day 4 - Slight touch-up, spray & bake

Taped up, matt application starts for the relevant areas

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:23pm On Jan 14, 2016
Application of base coat complete and car driven into oven booth for application of clear coat...

Its going to get hot soon.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season / Between 2003 Corolla And 2001 Camry, Which Is A Better Option / Advice Needed Should I Go For This Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.