Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,299 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading (44389 Views)

TSTV'S Goliath Challenge Of DSTV / TSTV Africa Decoder Gives 10x More Of Dstv, Gotv, And Starttime / DSTV Monopoly Is Up Pay As You Use (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 7:39am On Jan 15, 2016
There is no monopoly by DSTV.

The problem is....DSTV's would be competitors ALWAYS FAIL BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Take HITV. When it came into the market, most Nigerians were happy. But HITV's bouquet was scanty compared to DSTV.....plus they made the mistake of thinking that Nigerians got cable satellite TV for the football.

While HITV focused on football....DSTV upped their game by improving their content drastically.

Guess who won at the end?

The Senate should stop passing ridiculous bills. Unless they want to pass a bill that would force Nigerian companies to actually do some critical thinking.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by yomalex(m): 7:39am On Jan 15, 2016
talktimi:
These reps are just jobless. If you don't like dstv, buy startimes or cmtv nobody tied your hands or forced you. If the NBC as a regulator didn't know about or couldn't enforce industry best practices like their counterparts worldwide, who is to blame ?
they were hindered by legislation
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by GodpunishBuhari: 7:52am On Jan 15, 2016
ABUZINZU:
since our sub finish na so so AIT i dey watch

Lol
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Unity19(m): 7:56am On Jan 15, 2016
Vision4God:
I don't even use dstv.

Dstv is just over-rated.
Please can you advice on a better pay TV to subscribe to?
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by godfirstawe: 7:58am On Jan 15, 2016
Vision4God:
I don't even use dstv.

Dstv is just over-rated.

SO MY BROTHER WHAT DO U USE?
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by MissingBudget: 7:59am On Jan 15, 2016
God bless her. But in Aba we use MCL or PBS and pay #2,200 per month for all stations. I don't know why they're not in other states.

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by UltraSphinx(m): 8:01am On Jan 15, 2016
Vision4God:
I don't even use dstv.

Dstv is just over-rated.
dat's because u can't afford it.... keep using ur best rated binatone antenna

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Chuksworld(m): 8:02am On Jan 15, 2016
I tot dstv has competitors already? Startimes and d co
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by whitelondon: 8:02am On Jan 15, 2016
Bill or no bill my GoTV does it enough for me
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by spanishkid(m): 8:02am On Jan 15, 2016
Who else is still doubting the change mantra?
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by LEXYCOM: 8:03am On Jan 15, 2016
Resurrect HITV
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Dio1(m): 8:04am On Jan 15, 2016
Shinyjay:
Wow, this is good news for all. Imagine you being able to watch the bpl and other high value content on any service provider of your choice so far you can afford it. It's high time that chain of monopoly is sawed... Let us have competition.
You can't watch Bpl on any service provider of your choice because DSYV purchases those rights.
You guys are so ignorant .
If you knew how much the rights to showing those leagues cost you wouldn't say such.
I keep on saying that it isn't compulsory to watch DSTV , Nigerians should stop complaining about their prices.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Exponental(m): 8:05am On Jan 15, 2016
nothing will make sense like 'pay as u watch'..... bother less on epileptic power supply n fueling of gen before subscription
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by yommys01(m): 8:06am On Jan 15, 2016
talktimi:
These reps are just jobless. If you don't like dstv, buy startimes or cmtv nobody tied your hands or forced you. If the NBC as a regulator didn't know about or couldn't enforce industry best practices like their counterparts worldwide, who is to blame ?
People like you are cancer to this nation. Thankfully just as cancer, we now have cure for you people.

The same Startimes you are talking about, how much do they charge you? What do they offer? My mom pays well less than I do here still manages to watch good programs on TV and use Internet at the same time. I pay 14k for DSTV ( mainly cos of EPL nothing more ) and 19,500 for spectranet ( I am a blogger ). Thats close to 150 pounds. She doesn't even pay 60 pounds per month.

Think and stop being such a slave.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by chioma9191(f): 8:06am On Jan 15, 2016
seriously!!
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by excel101(m): 8:07am On Jan 15, 2016
talktimi:
. All We need is more competitors.. Hope u understand Mr DSTV agent

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by yommys01(m): 8:09am On Jan 15, 2016
Kikero112:
There is no monopoly by DSTV.

The problem is....DSTV's would be competitors ALWAYS FAIL BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Take HITV. When it came into the market, most Nigerians were happy. But HITV's bouquet was scanty compared to DSTV.....plus they made the mistake of thinking that Nigerians got cable satellite TV for the football.

While HITV focused on football....DSTV upped their game by improving their content drastically.

Guess who won at the end?

The Senate should stop passing ridiculous bills. Unless they want to pass a bill that would force Nigerian companies to actually do some critical thinking.
Thats not the problem. The problem is the amount of money needed to enter the market. While DSTV can afford to take a loan from SA for as little as 5% interest, here is it between 15% and above.

Also, DSTV needs to be forced to reduce their price. I am Beninose/Nigeria, I lived in Benin for 6 months last 4 years, they pay less than 5,000 whereas I pay 14k here. Who has the bigger market? Nigeria or Benin?

3 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Dyt(f): 8:13am On Jan 15, 2016
Even if they have competitors
Won't it be almost same price
Star times that keeps increasing nko
I was to pay DEC and was told its increased to 4400 abi wetin when I paid like 3200 or there about 6mnths earlier
I am sure by June when to make another payment
It will be double and that will be it for me
I enjoy all my 5 Bollywood stations
That's the only reason I am on it
I can't see my matches except once in a wild moon when Fox sports decides to show
Even the bundesliga, serie A, ligue 1 and the rest, so so boring

Nonsense things every where
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by abubakaa(m): 8:13am On Jan 15, 2016
ABUZINZU:
since our sub finish na so so AIT i dey watch
how u dey take do am?

na only CCTV i dey see when my sub finish
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Koolmexxi(m): 8:13am On Jan 15, 2016
DSTv dey do shakara because no serious competition. They provide exclusive epl coverage and an array of quality programs/channels. .. D epl is what makes DSTv it's own competition. Our indigenous cable companies are jus interested in stocking junk channels with little or no contents as cable packages. What has stopped Consat or Star times or Daarsat from paying for viewing rights from skysports or even from dstv?? CTL is d only close competition but lack nationwide reach. DSTv is ripping nigerians off but it's solely because d competition makes it look so and are unserious.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by tekslee: 8:14am On Jan 15, 2016
Imagine,of all things to discuss,,,,na dstv be their problem,smh
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by tonychristopher: 8:19am On Jan 15, 2016
I am in support of this ...they should clip dstv hands ..I am a proponent of protectionism. And fvck globalization

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by princeade86(m): 8:23am On Jan 15, 2016
yommys01:
Thats not the problem. The problem is the amount of money needed to enter the market. While DSTV can afford to take a loan from SA for as little as 5% interest, here is it between 15% and above.

Also, DSTV needs to be forced to reduce their price. I am Beninose/Nigeria, I lived in Benin for 6 months last 4 years, they pay less than 5,000 whereas I pay 14k here. Who has the bigger market? Nigeria or Benin?
. If it easy bros, why hitv come pack comot. Do u knw how much they also pay 2 get the right:? Is not by force. We av startime which am using, and we av gotv, multichoice and many m6re. Must u watch on dstv?
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by yommys01(m): 8:23am On Jan 15, 2016
Dio1:

You can't watch Bpl on any service provider of your choice because DSYV purchases those rights.
If you knew how much the rights to showing those leagues cost you wouldn't say such.
I keep on saying that it isn't compulsory to watch DSTV , Nigerians should stop complaining about their prices.
Because you can afford it does not mean everyone can. In the UK for instance, Sky cost just about 60 pounds and that comes with Internet usage with UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD AND UPLOAD ACCESS.

In Nigeria, I pay N14k for DSTV with shitty repeated programs and N19,500 for Spectranet which is capped at 70 GBP ( which they even cheat me out of ).

This I can afford it, I don't care about others mentality won't help this country. A friend of mine in Ukraine ( schooling there ) pays just 3,500 a month and still uses Internet.

Do you think these other companies don't pay for rights too?

Good a thing the so called rights will expire after this season, hopefully the reps would have passed the law that will allow others favourably bid for the EPL rights.

You are jonsing if you think DSTV is bigger than startimes or if they have more money than them. Just do a bit of research and you will see it is only the useless laws limiting Star times.

Edit : DSTV Have the EPL right till 2018/2019 season unfortunately. They can however be forced to share the rights.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by tonychristopher: 8:24am On Jan 15, 2016
talktimi:

You have reasoned like your people ...I just don't get it
..how can a man think this way ..you will kill your own to buy another man own

We just can't develop with this mentality

Sometimes I feel that I he biafrans are right ....how can one stay in the same country with people of your mindset

No patriotism... Always enjoying foriegn things and having no believe in yourself

What is it that dstv do that Nigerians can't do ?
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 15, 2016
Ok......For once

Something for the masses.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by yommys01(m): 8:25am On Jan 15, 2016
princeade86:
. If it easy bros, why hitv come pack comot. Do u knw how much they also pay 2 get the right:? Is not by force. We av startime which am using, and we av gotv, multichoice and many m6re. Must u watch on dstv?
Your ignorances is shining through your posts.

Who owns gotv? Who owns the DSTV franchise in Nigeria not Multichoice? And you honestly believe DSTV is bigger than Star Times? DSTV owners are not half as rich as Star times owners only that the laws are limiting Star times.

Watch and see Star Times take some of the EPL right from Dstv when the bidding war is reopened next year.

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 8:26am On Jan 15, 2016
Dio1:

Holup bro... Let's do a bit of compare and contrast here. Remember how it was in the past when Nitel was the only telecoms carrier we had in Nigeria. We had poor service, inflated charges and so on. But now that we've got GSM and with the competition. We got better service and cheaper charges.... You pay for what you use.And all the major telecoms players are making their money. So why can't the same be done in the satellite TV industry. Abeg, dstv are making super profit from us
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by semitunde: 8:29am On Jan 15, 2016
talktimi:

The NBC need the amended law to enforce industry practices. Understand the article.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by emydot(m): 8:29am On Jan 15, 2016
Long overdue. Kudos to the Reps. Nice one. Good job.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Acidosis(m): 8:30am On Jan 15, 2016
Illiterate representatives.

It will take 50 years for any new entrant to meet DSTV standards. DSTV still has the best channels at the lowest offer of N1800; and N1000 on the GOTV division.

Who can beat that? Consat? grin MyTV that looks like a radio telecast? or is it Star times with expensive packages?

Who among these entrants can beat the DSTV HD quality?

You people have been trying to break the monopoly yet it hasn't worked! You just don't wake up and break a monopoly on Paper! Tinubu, the richest ex politician in the western Nigeria tried to beat DSTV with his Consat dish and presently, it is nowhere close to GOTV in terms of picture quality, pricing and customer base.

These reps are f00ls, I don't blame them anyway, as they're fond of castigating any South African company in Nigeria. The next thing we'll hear is REPS to break Shoprite monopoly cheesy

Bunch of intellectually lazy lots who are bereft of any sensible developmental idea, aside hating for stupi.dly stup.id reasons.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija - Mercy And Gedoni Spark Off New Romance In The House / Esther Told Frodd They Can't Date On BBNaija / Jeff Excited As He Reunites With His Family After BBNaija Eviction (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.