Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,903 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading (44392 Views)

TSTV'S Goliath Challenge Of DSTV / TSTV Africa Decoder Gives 10x More Of Dstv, Gotv, And Starttime / DSTV Monopoly Is Up Pay As You Use (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by 14(m): 12:13am On Jan 16, 2016
Muyiii:
We need to be careful though...it's not like I'm against the bill but to these foreign investors it seems like we're witch-hunting them.Think about it, the ongoing saga between MTN and NCC...now DSTV. This outfits gave jobs to Nigerians, jobs our government are struggling to provide. Let's not make Nigeria a hostile ground for foreign investors when we ourselves ain't doing much for our own.

I think the mood on the ground is like this, "these south african companies are making a lot of money here in Nigeria and sending it back to SA. why are nigerians not establishing their own idegenous companies? if south africans can do it, so can we" these are some of the reasons why many SA firms are finding it difficult to operate in Nigeria. i remember some prominent figure on CNBC Africa saying, if MTN decide to leave, other networks will fill the gap. i say to myself, this guy does not understand why Mtn is no.1. it did not become number 1 just because its got better marketing, but its reliability. How many networks have better network coverage in deep rural area except MTN. so if one day MTN decides to go, the very same people would say, "MTN was much better"

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by 14(m): 12:31am On Jan 16, 2016
Trunaijian:
the bill will break open the "exclusive restrictive content" clause in broadcasting. Meaning companies like Multi-choice will not have the exclusive rights to air particular programs in Nigeria ie premier league.remember hi-tv faught that right but weren't able to sustain it.

That can be achieved, but with Skysport involvement, if DStv pays $300m exclusive rights for sub-saharan africa, if Skysport has to remove the exclusive part, which may mean Supersport will pay roughly $150m and skysport will hope to sell to other satelite tv. The question is, if they go that route, will they able to get another $150m from other satelite tv, i doubt, hence they sell the package as exclusive to dstv to get more cash. Thats why it called exclusive, if it wasn't exclusive, it would be cheaper.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by mikolo80: 2:17am On Jan 16, 2016
Shinyjay:
Wow, this is good news for all. Imagine you being able to watch the bpl and other high value content on any service provider of your choice so far you can afford it. It's high time that chain of monopoly is sawed... Let us have competition.
who ink you before.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by mikolo80: 2:24am On Jan 16, 2016
where the Bleep is nta in all this grammar. what kind of buffoons do we continue to elect to high office. why is nta not CNNing around the world why is there no nta sports channel challenging dstv dominance. why is nta not selling decoders all over Africa. we have nollywood, music, for goodness sake we have the super eagles why are we not thinking. common voltron nta cannot show Mtscheeew I don tire mehn, I don tire for the hopeless leaders we produce in this country
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by 14(m): 3:15am On Jan 16, 2016
vandalZA:
LOLEST you should make some research before coming with stories of who is better than who. By the way you should google the entity by the name of NASPERS, then you'll see how big DSTV is..!

Tell him, startime is a baby learning to crawl compare with NASPERS DStv. NASPERS is a $100billion company, bigger than murdoch's businesses skynews, skysport and fox news combined. Naspers is the biggest media giant company outside of the USA. These guys must do their research, they think DStv or multichoice is just a stand alone company.

Before anybody thinks DStv is making more money in Nigeria than in South Africa, check the figures below

DStv subscription in SA = 5.5 million subscribers

DStv subscription in nigeria = 1.6 million subscribers

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 5:11am On Jan 16, 2016
cocu25:

Lie mohammed has made us all watchful of stupid journalism.
Know ur facts. Exclusiveness and premium payment ( without pay perview) is a crime

In business, you always have to be competitive. DSTV does well, and we all line up to pay their price simply because they offer the best bouquets....compared to their competitors.

And anyway, you do not need to pay for premium bouquet.(Compact plus is good too).

I am all for a Nigerian company beating DSTV at their game.....but the Nigerian company too has to be innovative. No food for lazy men.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 5:16am On Jan 16, 2016
mikolo80:
where the Bleep is nta in all this grammar. what kind of buffoons do we continue to elect to high office. why is nta not CNNing around the world why is there no nta sports channel challenging dstv dominance. why is nta not selling decoders all over Africa. we have nollywood, music, for goodness sake we have the super eagles why are we not thinking. common voltron nta cannot show Mtscheeew I don tire mehn, I don tire for the hopeless leaders we produce in this country

NTA is a government run enterprise.

As it is not private,it is not competitive.It is limited by the amount of funding that it gets from the government....which is not much.

But still....NTA does have an international channel.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by ColeworldMD(m): 11:23am On Jan 16, 2016
grandstar:

its the main source. Before Tv revenues became huge, players had second jobs
maybe u're right. I was thinking what happens to a team that falls from top four to battling relegation over a couple of seasons, how are they going to deal with such change as regards to paying wages
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by mikolo80: 11:09pm On Jan 16, 2016
Kikero112:

NTA is a government run enterprise.

As it is not private,it is not competitive.It is limited by the amount of funding that it gets from the government....which is not much.

But still....NTA does have an international channel.

BBC is an govt channel and yet they report news from all over the world that everyone finds interesting and informative
nta no sabi more than cultural dance and wedding
no African news not even serious Nigerian news,only lies and very weak propaganda
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 6:31am On Jan 17, 2016
mikolo80:
BBC is an govt channel and yet they report news from all over the world that everyone finds interesting and informative
nta no sabi more than cultural dance and wedding
no African news not even serious Nigerian news,only lies and very weak propaganda

Ah, the BBC also aggressively markets its programmes (Top Gear earns billions for the BBC every year for example)....and the BBC earns billions from something called the TV licence which everyone in the UK with a television....INCLUDING non-citizen residents pays.(Try doing that in Nigeria....there would be riots on the street).

Still....NTA could do with some improvement. The palaver is that it is run like an arm of the Civil Service....dour and uninteresting.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by mikolo80: 6:35am On Jan 17, 2016
Kikero112:

Ah, the BBC also aggressively markets its programmes (Top Gear earns billions for the BBC every year for example)....and the BBC earns billions from something called the TV licence which everyone in the UK with a television....INCLUDING non-citizen residents pays.(Try doing that in Nigeria....there would be riots on the street).

Still....NTA could do with some improvement. The palaver is that it is run like an arm of the Civil Service....dour and uninteresting.
so sad.
PS
the TV license can be collected from customs like VAT. ppl won't even know they're paying
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 17, 2016
Ganoderma:

That is not the point.

We know that you must have the rights to broadcast BPL.

The bill does not stop DSTV from obtaining the rights. With the bill passed into law, it means we would no longer have to be restricted to bouquets. We would actually pay only for stations we want to watch. So nothing like all those rubbish bouquets. Just select the channels you want and pay for only those channels.

I hope you are ready to pay times the amount for a normal bouquet on selected channels because those guys aren't fools
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 17, 2016
yommys01:
DSTV will never sell the rights to live coverages. They know that will kill them. Why will Ngerians go to DSTV direct when they can get it from Star times thats cheaper?

The sincere truth is the laws needs to be lessened for others. And in 2019 when the bidding is reopen for premier league rights, you will see DSTV won't have 100% regardless of whether the bill(s) is/are passed into law or not.

If Star Times can get the rights to the Bundesliga from DSTV, they can get part of the EPL rights from them as well.
shouldn't the EPL rights be given to numerous pay tv?
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 17, 2016
14:

I think the mood on the ground is like this, "these south african companies are making a lot of money here in Nigeria and sending it back to SA. why are nigerians not establishing their own idegenous companies? if south africans can do it, so can we" these are some of the reasons why many SA firms are finding it difficult to operate in Nigeria. i remember some prominent figure on CNBC Africa saying, if MTN decide to leave, other networks will fill the gap. i say to myself, this guy does not understand why Mtn is no.1. it did not become number 1 just because its got better marketing, but its reliability. How many networks have better network coverage in deep rural area except MTN. so if one day MTN decides to go, the very same people would say, "MTN was much better"
we are not successful here in Nigeria because we're not consistent and patient. To attain good standard requires those key words
14:

we are not successful here in Nigeria because we're not consistent and patient. To attain good standard requires those key words
14:

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 17, 2016
Kikero112:

In business, you always have to be competitive. DSTV does well, and we all line up to pay their price simply because they offer the best bouquets....compared to their competitors.

And anyway, you do not need to pay for premium bouquet.(Compact plus is good too).

I am all for a Nigerian company beating DSTV at their game.....but the Nigerian company too has to be innovative. No food for lazy men.
they are innovative just that Dstv will continue their dominance is sub Sahara Africa for a long time because of football.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jan 17, 2016
mikolo80:
so sad.
PS
the TV license can be collected from customs like VAT. ppl won't even know they're paying
How many will pay? common increment in electricity bill NLC is planning to go on strike were you and I know is for our benefits
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jan 17, 2016
asuustrike2009:

they are innovative just that Dstv will continue their dominance is sub Sahara Africa for a long time because of football.

No they are not.

The problem is...a lot of people, including DSTV's competitors think that DSTV is successful because...football. That is not necessarily true.

When HITV when they came grabbed all the football rights to Premiership and UEFA champions league. Did it help them.? No way. Because when the football matches were over....people want to watch other things...and HITV had nothing much to offer.

Football lasts for two hours on a weekend and Wednesdays. When the game is over...what next.?

Meanwhile....DSTV had variety. And the truth of the matter is Nigerians like DSTV because of the variety. Tell me....how much variety did HITV offer? Even startimes? Even when it comes to sport....not every Nigerian loves football. Some of us like tennis, athletics, basketball, etc. Where was HITV on that? Meanwhile...using basketball as an example....DSTV shows you the local, and international basketball leagues....and NBA games...and even US college games.

If you want to beat DSTV at their game....be more creative. Just don't focus on football. That is the lesson HITV did not learn.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jan 17, 2016
Kikero112:

No they are not.

The problem is...a lot of people, including DSTV's competitors think that DSTV is successful because...football. That is not necessarily true.

When HITV when they came grabbed all the football rights to Premiership and UEFA champions league. Did it help them.? No way. Because when the football matches were over....people want to watch other things...and HITV had nothing much to offer.

Football lasts for two hours on a weekend and Wednesdays. When the game is over...what next.?

Meanwhile....DSTV had variety. And the truth of the matter is Nigerians like DSTV because of the variety. Tell me....how much variety did HITV offer? Even startimes? Even when it comes to sport....not every Nigerian loves football. Some of us like tennis, athletics, basketball, etc. Where was HITV on that? Meanwhile...using basketball as an example....DSTV shows you the local, and international basketball leagues....and NBA games...and even US college games.

If you want to beat DSTV at their game....be more creative. Just don't focus on football. That is the lesson HITV did not learn.
that's true
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by 14(m): 5:39am On Jan 18, 2016
Kikero112:

No they are not.

You are very wise

Consider this, HD, dstv catch up, box office, PVR, DSTV Explora
Jealous down, dstv is probably in the top 5 best satelite tv in the world, no one can compete with them in africa. They have the best engineers, deigners and technicians you can ever find.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by yommys01(m): 8:08am On Jan 18, 2016
asuustrike2009:

shouldn't the EPL rights be given to numerous pay tv?
It is winner takes it all bro. I honestly believe Star times will give DSTV a good run for their money during the next round of bidding.

I forsee what happened to Sky and BEIN Sports happening here too.

DSTV to retain the lion share but Star times to get a good churn of the share.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 8:12am On Jan 18, 2016
yommys01:
It is winner takes it all bro. I honestly believe Star times will give DSTV a good run for their money during the next round of bidding.

I forsee what happened to Sky and BEIN Sports happening here too.

DSTV to retain the lion share but Star times to get a good churn of the share.
don't forget Dstv has quality channels operating on high definition

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by yommys01(m): 8:26am On Jan 18, 2016
asuustrike2009:

don't forget Dstv has quality channels operating on high definition
Star times will upgrade as well should they get EPL right. DSTV was never like this before now were they?
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 18, 2016
yommys01:
Star times will upgrade as well should they get EPL right. DSTV was never like this before now were they?
Yea that's true
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by 14(m): 10:36pm On Jan 18, 2016
yommys01:

Lets agree that you do not understand how TV business works. How long did it take DStv to impliment HD channels. Remember when we talk of HD, we not only talking about a decoder alone, from cameras, mixers, recorders, studios, OB trucks, satelites, dishes and decoders must be HD capable. It took DStv almost 10yrs to have around 10 channels in HD. Its an expensive excercise, thats where DStv will beat their competitors. Sky sport does not want their product to be transmitted in a substandard pictures.

As we speak, Dstv is implimenting the DStv explora, which is gonna change the way we watch tv, in a bid to counter act competition from Netflix.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by mikolo80: 3:04pm On Jan 21, 2016
asuustrike2009:

How many will pay? common increment in electricity bill NLC is planning to go on strike were you and I know is for our benefits
do you or do you not pay VAT?
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 8:54am On May 31, 2019
Life is full of temporary situations, ultimately ending in a permanent solution. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija - Mercy And Gedoni Spark Off New Romance In The House / Esther Told Frodd They Can't Date On BBNaija / Jeff Excited As He Reunites With His Family After BBNaija Eviction (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.