Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook (2128 Views)

Arewa Youths To FFK: Stop Insulting Buhari, Northern Leaders Or Face Our Wrath / Malami Sends Names Of Six Judges To DSS For Probe - CJN writes Buhari / APC Warns Against Insulting Buhari, Government Officials - Premiumtimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by ticker(m): 2:49pm On Jan 15, 2016
A popular Nigerian lawyer and rights activist was
detained overnight on Wednesday, January 14,
2015 for allegedly addressing President
Muhammadu Buhari in a disrespectful way.
Emeka Ugwuonye, Esquire, Group Founder/
Principal Administrator of Due Process
Advocates (DPA), was stopped by operatives of
the Department of State Service (DSS) upon
arrival at the Murtala Mohammed International
Airport, Lagos.
“They told me they would have to hear from
Abuja (DSS Headquarters) before allowing me to
go,” Mr. Ugwuonye, a senior lawyer who
practises in Nigeria and the United States of
America, told News Express this morning. “I had
to tell my driver and personal assistant to go
when I was not released as at midnight,” he
added.
Emeka Ugwuonye, Esq. pictured in his office |
Facebook
News Express learnt that Mr. Ugwuonye, who
was not allowed to go until after clearance by
Abuja, was detained in connection with a video
he recently uploaded on the DPA Facebook page
in which he said that President Buhari must obey
court orders. “He talked as if he was ordering
the President,” a DSS source said, adding that
Buhari should be talked to with respect as he is
the President and Commander-in-Chief of the
Nigerian Armed Forces.
Ugwuonye said, “This is unacceptable. I am
going to sue them on Monday.”
He repeated what he said in the video, insisting
that Buhari, who recently declared in public not
to obey some court orders, has no option than to
abide by the dictates of the Nigerian
Constitution and has no right to choose court
orders to obey.
Below are his Facebook update as the episode
was unfolding.
http://www.thetrentonline.com/tyranny-lawyer-arrested-by-dss-for-allegedly-insulting-buhari-on-facebook-pictured/?utm_source=&utm_medium=facebook

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by TruthHurts1(m): 2:55pm On Jan 15, 2016
Those DSS officers and their overzealous, herd mentality approach will end up embarassing this administration.
I'm waiting to see what kind of criminal charge they will bring against him.

4 Likes

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by Chubhie: 2:57pm On Jan 15, 2016
Dss should come to nairaland and arrest people.

1 Like

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by Ola17: 2:57pm On Jan 15, 2016
The disposition of this government towards dissenting opinions is quite worrisome and must be condemned by every right thinking Nigerian. This is supposed to be a democracy and freedom of speech is well enshrined in the constitution. The line between democracy and tyranny is thin, very thin.

7 Likes

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by drss(m): 2:58pm On Jan 15, 2016
d cattle rearer has succesfully turned nigeria into saudi arabia were punishment for insulting d king is death. by d time PDP assume power in 2019, buari will be handed ova to ICC for crimes against humanity.

6 Likes

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by Iykopee(m): 2:58pm On Jan 15, 2016
The daura dulllard shud stop terrorising Nigerians with his dogs.

5 Likes

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by mazzi: 2:58pm On Jan 15, 2016
Buhari is a tyrant

5 Likes

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by drss(m): 3:01pm On Jan 15, 2016
lalasticlala our freedom n democracy is under thread.
Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by muzzol: 3:03pm On Jan 15, 2016
http://saharareporters.com/2015/06/02/us-court-dismisses-rogue-attorney-emeka-ugwuonye%E2%80%99s-bankruptcy-filing.....Please is it the same person?
Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by kossyablaze(m): 3:05pm On Jan 15, 2016
mazzi:
Buhari is a tyrant
And a dictator

4 Likes

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by 9jatriot(m): 3:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
This same guy

EFCC Arrests US-Based Lawyer, Ugwuonye, For Defrauding Nigerian Government
Posted: February 16, 2011 - 21:53

By SaharaReporters, New York

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has detained US-based lawyer, Ephraim Emeka Ugwuonye, for fraud-related issues. Agents of the State Security Services (SSS) arrested Mr. Ugwuonye last Saturday at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.

Mr. Ugwuonye was later moved to Abuja where he was handed over to the EFCC for further action.

EFCC spokesman, Femi Babafemi, told SaharaReporters today that Mr. Ugwuonye had been "watch listed" at the port of entry a few months ago after Nigeria’s Attorney General and officials of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs concluded that he defrauded the Nigerian authorities in a series of real estate transactions where he acted as an attorney to the Nigerian government.

The real estate transactions were the subject of an investigative report by Saharareporters in 2009. In the report, we exposed how the controversial attorney seized $1.7 million in tax refunds belonging to the Nigerian embassy in Washington DC. Mr. Ugwuonye had confiscated the funds after he represented the Nigerian embassy in Washington, DC to sell several houses belonging to the Nigerian government. He reportedly justified the seizure of the funds by claiming that the Nigerian government owed him fees for other legal services he had done.

The real estate transactions also triggered an inquiry by the Nigerian House of Representatives, although it was unclear if the legislative hearing led the SSS to “watch list” Ugwuonye for arrest.

The EFCC’s Babafemi confirmed that Mr. Ugwuonye was handed over to the agency on Monday and had since been interrogated about the whereabouts of the proceeds of the transactions.

Mr. Babafemi

1 Like

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by kossyablaze(m): 3:07pm On Jan 15, 2016
mazzi:
Buhari is a tyrant
and a dictator

2 Likes

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by poshestmina(f): 3:08pm On Jan 15, 2016
When he paid his media change agents to insult and ridicule Gej,who arrested them?
Buhari is a tyrant and a dictating super clueless disorganized man angry angry

5 Likes

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by Tokt: 3:09pm On Jan 15, 2016
Another trentonline bullshit.
Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by Lumiere91: 3:24pm On Jan 15, 2016
Buhari is tolerating nonsense

1 Like

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 15, 2016
Hahahahaha.

This is just th beginning,

This is what "Change: is all about.

Even for Nairaland here, they have banned me so tey eeeeeee, I almost change ...... (chai, did i say change?), I mean rename my moniker to "NobleBan.

Honestly, I am now scared of the word 'change", its a very dangerous word.

8 Likes

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by Firefire(m): 3:29pm On Jan 15, 2016
Buhary the tyrant... undecided

3 Likes

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by Nuells: 4:04pm On Jan 15, 2016
What nonsense! Buhari is a Bitch
Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by unclejb2(m): 4:14pm On Jan 15, 2016
Buhari is a tyrant. We either live with it or find means of getting rid of him from Aso Rock. Impeachment is the first option, other options also exist.

2 Likes

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by kevinex195(m): 5:32pm On Jan 15, 2016
It's quite unfortunate that most people that commented didn't read through thoroughly.
According to the article, the incident happened on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 and I can remember vividly that the President as at that period was Mr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and not Buhari.

So, based on this fact the article is false!!!

1 Like

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by ziccoit: 5:38pm On Jan 15, 2016
Lies.

SR reported Mr Emeka Ugwuonye was picked up by DSS over an allegation of defrauding Nigeria state by claiming he represented the government. Now, one useless online blog reported he was picked up for calling PMB names.

1 Like

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by LMFashions: 7:54pm On Jan 15, 2016
Tokt:
Another trentonline bullshit.
A zombie has been spotted.

1 Like

Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by LMFashions: 7:57pm On Jan 15, 2016
kevinex195:
It's quite unfortunate that most people that commented didn't read through thoroughly.
According to the article, the incident happened on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 and I can remember vividly that the President as at that period was Mr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and not Buhari.

So, based on this fact the article is false!!!

Open the link, it's 2016. The OP made a typo error
Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by kevinex195(m): 8:52am On Jan 16, 2016
LMFashions:

Open the link, it's 2016. The OP made a typo error

I knew someone would say so. Anyway, just to be sure I opened the link as you advised and saw the same thing. The OP copied directly from the link and posted it here; word for word.

If you check your calendar, January 14, 2015 was actually a Wednesday as claimed by the post. So it isn't any typographical error!
Re: TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook by ubah84(m): 9:55am On Jan 16, 2016
a drug Barron claiming to be a lawyer

(1) (Reply)

Panic As Soldiers Shoot At Random In Oporoza / "Chibok Girls Is A Scam" Pro Buhari Group Blast Ezekwesili / LEAKED AUDIO: Yes, I’m Happy Umaru Yar’adua Died Because He Wanted To Inject Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.