Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,791 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff (22987 Views)

Konga Sacks Over 70% Of Staff / Zenith Bank lays off its workforce Again / How Chinese-owned Huawei Mistreats Its Staff And The Nigerian State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by MXrep: 10:33pm On Jan 15, 2016
The ever resilient igbo traders will hold down Nigeria retail with their sophiscated but informal network of distribution chains. These foreigners and online retailers can only get a little percentage of city population inhabited by less than 20% of Nigerians, they are no threat to the open markets and lack the ruggedness to withstand harsh economy as we are facing now

2 Likes

Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by 9jatatafo(m): 10:50pm On Jan 15, 2016
I hope nairaland.com won't lay off workers too
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by amanikondo: 10:57pm On Jan 15, 2016
When you work for konga, you go enter konga.
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by ikaboy: 11:04pm On Jan 15, 2016
BIGTinfotech:
The moment they started charging delivery fee for each item bought, even though ordered at the same time. That was when they started going down.
I told one of their customer service agent precisely that.

Online shops are supposed to be cheaper than your regular market. People are complaining of exorbitant prices on regular market, and Here you are increasing it online...what a joke.

So they should deliver without charges to you because u funded them. U try.

3 Likes

Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by BIGTinfotech: 11:26pm On Jan 15, 2016
Bros, why have you decided to veer off point?
Read and comprehend before commenting
ikaboy:

So they should deliver without charges to you because u funded them. U try.

1 Like

Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by engrshakespeare: 11:28pm On Jan 15, 2016
daveyjay:
Konqa that markets substandard gadgets, I bouqht a 30000mAh powerbank and it's functionality is absolutely different from its description

Shey if i tell u to buy my 13000mAh u no go gree cos I no get pedigree but I assure u it works berra
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by sammie22(m): 11:38pm On Jan 15, 2016
e-commerce companies.....failing before they even get settled. Why They run after the market, companies like Amazon don't do such, Amazon runs after every customer and ensures they make them happy.

3 Likes

Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by passionate88: 11:50pm On Jan 15, 2016
Everybody dey lay off workers. Chanji
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by 2n2k(m): 4:00am On Jan 16, 2016
People should understand concepts before commenting. Konga's case has nothing to do with PMB or GEJ. It simply changed its model from being an 'e-tailer' to a 'market place'. The two models require different number and level of staffing.

In simple term, if I built a very big warehouse and stock it with different goods which I purchased from other suppliers for onward selling online to my own customers online (e-tailer), I will surely need higher numbers and level of staff than if I set up a small technology based company that just link those suppliers online directly to my customers. I will just serve as a clearing house - my customers will still have the impression that they are dealing with me, but they will be served by the suppliers. I may of course, maintain a very small warehouse to stock fast moving goods but the bulk of my business will just be paperwork required for co-ordination.

@ BIGTinfotech

The charging of delivery fee for each item you purchased at the same time which you complained about is because of change in business model that I explained above. You were actually served by different suppliers from different locations while konga just coordinated. Konga neither handled nor saw those goods. It would just make payments to those suppliers when there is evidence of delivery to you unlike before when the goods would be delivered to konga and konga consolidate and package them for delivery to you.

6 Likes

Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by Azeez532(m): 5:49am On Jan 16, 2016
I think the reason why the cost of buying online is more expensive than buying in physical shops is the convenience.
BIGTinfotech:
The moment they started charging delivery fee for each item bought, even though ordered at the same time. That was when they started going down.
I told one of their customer service agent precisely that.

Online shops are supposed to be cheaper than your regular market. People are complaining of exorbitant prices on regular market, and Here you are increasing it online...what a joke.
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by main24(m): 6:18am On Jan 16, 2016
[
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by BIGTinfotech: 6:27am On Jan 16, 2016
Well you've made your point, and I quite understand.
All I'm saying is Nigerians need to be encouraged to use online market. To make that happen, there has to be lots of incentive. Besides, it's not like we're the first to use online market. Amazon, bestbuy, are examples of what an online market should look like.
I used to order lots of stuff, for a single delivery fee. But now for an item worth 500naira, I'd pay a delivery fee of 1500naira...that's outrageous.
2n2k:
People should understand concepts before commenting. Konga's case has nothing to do with PMB or GEJ. It simply changed its model from being an 'e-tailer' to a 'market place'. The two models require different number and level of staffing.

In simple term, if I built a very big warehouse and stock it with different goods which I purchased from other suppliers for onward selling online to my own customers online (e-tailer), I will surely need higher numbers and level of staff than if I set up a small technology based company that just link those suppliers online directly to my customers. I will just serve as a clearing house - my customers will still have the impression that they are dealing with me, but they will be served by the suppliers. I may of course, maintain a very small warehouse to stock fast moving goods but the bulk of my business will just be paperwork required for co-ordination.

@ BIGTinfotech

The charging of delivery fee for each item you purchased at the same time which you complained about is because of change in business model that I explained above. You were actually served by different suppliers from different locations while konga just coordinated. Konga neither handled nor saw those goods. It would just make payments to those suppliers when there is evidence of delivery to you unlike before when the goods would be delivered to konga and konga consolidate and package them for delivery to you.
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by BIGTinfotech: 6:28am On Jan 16, 2016
On the contrary, it's supposed to be the other way round. At least judging from the Nigerian market system.

Azeez532:
I think the reason why the cost of buying online is more expensive than buying in physical shops is the convenience.
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by daveyjay(m): 7:08am On Jan 16, 2016
engrshakespeare:

Shey if i tell u to buy my 13000mAh u no go gree cos I no get pedigree but I assure u it works berra

I thouqht their products were authentic like Jumia, but them fall my hand! Ur 13000mAh??! That one no fit last me 7hrz nah
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by daveyjay(m): 7:11am On Jan 16, 2016
BIGTinfotech:
All I'm saying is Nigerians need to be encouraged to use online market. To make that happen, there has to be lots of incentive. Besides, it's not like we're the first to use online market. Amazon, bestbuy, are examples of what an online market should look like.
I used to order lots of stuff, for a single delivery fee. But now for an item worth 500naira, I'd pay a delivery fee of 1500naira...that's outrageous.

Yes, it's so vexing! I ordered my tab's pouch of #2,200, I had to pay a delivery fee of #1500...Fvck that shit!!!
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by Youngzedd(m): 7:12am On Jan 16, 2016
daveyjay:
Konqa that markets substandard gadgets, I bouqht a 30000mAh powerbank and it's functionality is absolutely different from its description

It's not Konga that sells those crap, it's Nigerians. About 80% of goods in Konga and Jumia is sold by others.

Just that this people are using their sites to sell their scrap.
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by daveyjay(m): 7:16am On Jan 16, 2016
Youngzedd:

It's not Konga that sells those crap, it's Nigerians. About 80% of goods in Konga and Jumia is sold by others.

Just that this people are using their sites to sell their scrap.
. They can't just put up those thinqs for sale unless the site qives them the riqht to, atleast, konqa in particular should run a check on the qoods advertised to see if it matches it's online description before lettinq it appear for sale

1 Like

Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by MikaelJP(m): 7:17am On Jan 16, 2016
Who is to blame?[b]Who is to blame?[/b]Who is to blame?
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by Youngzedd(m): 7:19am On Jan 16, 2016
2n2k:

@ BIGTinfotech

Exactly. One of the goods maybe coming from Port Harcourt while the other from Lagos.

I have said it before, about 80% of goods on this sites are owned by suppliers.

1 Like

Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by Youngzedd(m): 7:22am On Jan 16, 2016
BIGTinfotech:

On Amazon reason is because you have to bring the item to their warehouse for inspection and delivery. So Amazon gathers all the goods and ship. Unlike these e-commerce that have you have send from where ever you're.

Different locations of suppliers is the cause.
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by Youngzedd(m): 7:24am On Jan 16, 2016
daveyjay:
. They can't just put up those thinqs for sale unless the site qives them the riqht to, atleast, konqa in particular should run a check on the qoods advertised to see if it matches it's online description before lettinq it appear for sale

Bad news: They don't do that. That's why there are things I buy there. Because they failed to protect the customers interest first.

They're after money, not the quality you will get. That's Nigeria for you.
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by daveyjay(m): 7:30am On Jan 16, 2016
Youngzedd:

Bad news: They don't do that. That's why there are things I buy there. Because they failed to protect the customers interest first.

They're after money, not the quality you will get. That's Nigeria for you.

Blame PMB...
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by Youngzedd(m): 7:37am On Jan 16, 2016
daveyjay:

Blame PMB...

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by biltem: 7:45am On Jan 16, 2016
Godditex:
Courtesy of Buhari led directionless economy & clueless finance minister!

what was the state of the economy inherited by the administration u are abusing. When your idols has put the economy in comatose before they left. Strong foundation need yo be built for the sustainable economy and not the fictitious life style and momount stealing your idols were engaging in.
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by Muyiii(m): 7:47am On Jan 16, 2016
ikedi94:
naxo konga dey do o.. I don wrk with dem b4.. Naxo dem say person mismatch iphone6s for infinix.. Dem kan use dat wan send us comot 4 konga warehouse.. God will give evry1 on nairaland a betterlife..

You're right..I know the CEO real well, I did my youth service in his maiden company (e-Motion) back in 2009. He's not good manager, always quick to lay people off based of flimsy reasons. After my youth service, I was expecting a raise but he kept on avoiding me and when I decided to leave he started throwing tantrums, threatening to sue me and stuffs. Anyways, not that I'm against him or something but I knew he won't be able to keep up with his own success coz he has poor managing skills.
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by Nobody: 8:40am On Jan 16, 2016
biltem:

what was the state of the economy inherited by the administration u are abusing. When your idols has put the economy in comatose before they left. Strong foundation need yo be built for the sustainable economy and not the fictitious life style and momount stealing your idols were engaging in.
When will they start laying the foundation? Is it till the whole economy crumbles? The economy wasn't that bad compared to our present situation.

A wise government should have consolidate on the past administration strengths and work on their weakness. But look at them; clueless, directionless and lacking in strategy.
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by Sunbellar: 8:44am On Jan 16, 2016
Godditex:
You can't say it any better again!
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by mrDennis(m): 9:11am On Jan 16, 2016
Godditex:

you're funny... I guess you didn't read the post well or u have comprehension issues .

they are being LAID off because they roles are no longer needed by konga since its shifting business lines..

they weren't laid off due to falling revenue but change in organisational structure.

LEARN. to read . PMB is in aso rock trying to move this economy from an oil based to a multi sector economy you there looking for anything bash him.

2 Likes

Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by phumtadeic: 9:49am On Jan 16, 2016
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by Nobody: 9:54am On Jan 16, 2016
mrDennis:

you're funny... I guess you didn't read the post well or u have comprehension issues .

they are being LAID off because they roles are no longer needed by konga since its shifting business lines..

they weren't laid off due to falling revenue but change in organisational structure.

LEARN. to read . PMB is in aso rock trying to move this economy from an oil based to a multi sector economy you there looking for anything bash him.
I read the post intoto broda......There's a different between a company downsizing, rightsizing and diversifying.......In this case, its an outright downsizing. A company can hardly downsize or sack employees it had invested so much on when the economic realities are in a positive shape......you won't understand till you feel it.
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by phumtadeic: 9:58am On Jan 16, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"How I Got Addicted To Eating Books" - Johnspeak Uwangue / Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why / Johnspeak Uwangue: 4 Highly Profitable Talents And How They Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.