Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,732 members, 7,820,539 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff (22986 Views)

Konga Sacks Over 70% Of Staff / Zenith Bank lays off its workforce Again / How Chinese-owned Huawei Mistreats Its Staff And The Nigerian State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by datigbogirl: 10:04am On Jan 16, 2016
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by ohimai83: 12:10pm On Jan 16, 2016
2n2k:
People should understand concepts before commenting. Konga's case has nothing to do with PMB or GEJ. It simply changed its model from being an 'e-tailer' to a 'market place'. The two models require different number and level of staffing.

In simple term, if I built a very big warehouse and stock it with different goods which I purchased from other suppliers for onward selling online to my own customers online (e-tailer), I will surely need higher numbers and level of staff than if I set up a small technology based company that just link those suppliers online directly to my customers. I will just serve as a clearing house - my customers will still have the impression that they are dealing with me, but they will be served by the suppliers. I may of course, maintain a very small warehouse to stock fast moving goods but the bulk of my business will just be paperwork required for co-ordination.

@ BIGTinfotech

The charging of delivery fee for each item you purchased at the same time which you complained about is because of change in business model that I explained above. You were actually served by different suppliers from different locations while konga just coordinated. Konga neither handled nor saw those goods. It would just make payments to those suppliers when there is evidence of delivery to you unlike before when the goods would be delivered to konga and konga consolidate and package them for delivery to you.
if only there was a way to move your post to front page. Very clear explanation... But I have one question: Who does the delivery? is it Konga or the supplier?
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by engrshakespeare: 12:50pm On Jan 16, 2016
daveyjay:

I thouqht their products were authentic like Jumia, but them fall my hand! Ur 13000mAh??! That one no fit last me 7hroz nah

Says who, that 30,000 doesn't have up to that, 13000 has exactly 13000 and it lasts
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by daveyjay(m): 12:57pm On Jan 16, 2016
engrshakespeare:

Says who, that 30,000 doesn't have up to that, 13000 has exactly 13000 and it lasts

Oya dash me nah..what are friends for?!
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by engrshakespeare: 1:14pm On Jan 16, 2016
daveyjay:

Oya dash me nah..what are friends for?!

Who be ur friend
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by iswallker(m): 1:34pm On Jan 16, 2016
thefakestan:
Konga, that song keeps ringing in my head.

ThefakeStan

jabo si konga... grin grin
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by 2n2k(m): 4:10pm On Jan 16, 2016
ohimai83:

if only there was a way to move your post to front page. Very clear explanation... But I have one question: Who does the delivery? is it Konga or the supplier?

It all depends. If they adopt Amazon model, for very few fast moving stock that they may keep, they will do the delivery themselves through their courier. On Amazon, such orders are marked "Order fulfilled by Amazon" on their website when you are placing the order.

Where it is a non-stock order (which actually should constitute the bulk of their business), the name(s) of the supplier(s) that will fulfill the order will be indicated. In fact you can have different suppliers with different prices for the same good. In such case, the supplier will deliver direct to you. The package may carry Konga label which had already been pre-provided to the suppliers. The supplier must inform Konga of every steps taken on the order like when it ships, delivered, etc. All mails from the supplier to you must be copied to Konga and your replies too will automatically be copied to Konga for coordination purpose. The supplier will only be settled when evidence of delivery is tendered to Konga.

Note that the explanation above is based on 'Market Place' model which Konga wants to adopt as opposed to its previous 'e-tailer' (derived from Electronic reTAILER) model where it handled almost all orders deliveries directly.
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by mrDennis(m): 6:21pm On Jan 16, 2016
Godditex:
I read the post intoto broda......There's a different between a company downsizing, rightsizing and diversifying.......In this case, its an outright downsizing. A company can hardly downsize or sack employees it had invested so much on when the economic realities are in a positive shape......you won't understand till you feel it.
www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/redundant/what-is-redundancy
instead of showing someone who knows a little about business or finance to explain to you , you still insisting you are right.

please click on the link and read up then read the article and put two and two together .

also lemme give u an example. I sell electronics and cars ... I decide to focus on selling electronics because that's where I make astronomical profits , Will I not lay off the workers at my car shop?
it's a purely business decision.. even in countries experiencing large scale economic growth businesses take such actions so leave pmb alone
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by BIGTinfotech: 6:46pm On Jan 16, 2016
I feel you bro. It can be very frustrating.
daveyjay:

Yes, it's so vexing! I ordered my tab's pouch of #2,200, I had to pay a delivery fee of #1500...Fvck that shit!!!
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by Brandagencies(f): 3:23pm On Jan 19, 2016
BIGTinfotech:
Well you've made your point, and I quite understand.
All I'm saying is Nigerians need to be encouraged to use online market. To make that happen, there has to be lots of incentive. Besides, it's not like we're the first to use online market. Amazon, bestbuy, are examples of what an online market should look like.
I used to order lots of stuff, for a single delivery fee. But now for an item worth 500naira, I'd pay a delivery fee of 1500naira...that's outrageous.

But you buy from ali express yea?
Re: Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff by BIGTinfotech: 5:06pm On Jan 19, 2016
Nope.
Brandagencies:

But you buy from ali express yea?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"How I Got Addicted To Eating Books" - Johnspeak Uwangue / Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why / Johnspeak Uwangue: 4 Highly Profitable Talents And How They Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.