Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,474 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook (1959 Views)

Boko Haram Commander Who Escaped From Prison In 2010 Arrested By DSS In Bauchi / Malami Sends Names Of Six Judges To DSS For Probe - CJN writes Buhari / Mastermind Of Planned Overthrow Of President Buhari Arrested By DSS (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by OgunNewsFact: 5:15pm On Jan 15, 2016
OgunNewsFact:
Lawyer Arrested By DSS for writing against Buhari On Facebook
A popular Nigerian lawyer and human rights activist was detained overnight on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 for allegedly addressing President Muhammadu Buhari in what was termed disrespectful.
Emeka Ugwuonye, Esquire, Group Founder/Principal Administrator of Due Process Advocates (DPA), was stopped by operatives of the Department of State Service (DSS) upon arrival at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos.
“They told me they would have to hear from Abuja (DSS Headquarters) before allowing me to go,” Mr. Ugwuonye, a senior lawyer who practises in Nigeria and the United States of America, told News Express this morning. “I had to tell my driver and personal assistant to go when I was not released as at midnight,” he added.
News Express learnt that Mr. Ugwuonye, who was not allowed to go until after clearance by Abuja, was detained in connection with a video he recently uploaded on the DPA Facebook page in which he said that President Buhari must obey court orders. “He talked as if he was ordering the President,” a DSS source said, adding that Buhari should be talked to with respect as he is the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces.
Ugwuonye said, “This is unacceptable. I am going to sue them on Monday.”
He repeated what he said in the video, insisting that Buhari, who recently declared in public not to obey some court orders, has no option than to abide by the dictates of the Nigerian Constitution and has no right to choose court orders to obey.
Below are his Facebook update as the episode was unfolding.
http://www.zubbyblog.com/lawyer-arrested-by-dss-for-insulting-buhari-on-facebook/
Lawyer Arrested By DSS for writing against Buhari On Facebook

A popular Nigerian lawyer and human rights activist was detained overnight on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 for allegedly addressing President Muhammadu Buhari in what was termed disrespectful.

Emeka Ugwuonye, Esquire, Group Founder/Principal Administrator of Due Process Advocates (DPA), was stopped by operatives of the Department of State Service (DSS) upon arrival at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos.

“They told me they would have to hear from Abuja (DSS Headquarters) before allowing me to go,” Mr. Ugwuonye, a senior lawyer who practises in Nigeria and the United States of America, told News Express this morning. “I had to tell my driver and personal assistant to go when I was not released as at midnight,” he added.

News Express learnt that Mr. Ugwuonye, who was not allowed to go until after clearance by Abuja, was detained in connection with a video he recently uploaded on the DPA Facebook page in which he said that President Buhari must obey court orders. “He talked as if he was ordering the President,” a DSS source said, adding that Buhari should be talked to with respect as he is the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces.

Ugwuonye said, “This is unacceptable. I am going to sue them on Monday.”

He repeated what he said in the video, insisting that Buhari, who recently declared in public not to obey some court orders, has no option than to abide by the dictates of the Nigerian Constitution and has no right to choose court orders to obey.

Below are his Facebook update as the episode was unfolding.

The facebook update that landed him in trouble:

Emeka Ugwuonye writes:

BUHARI IS A BLOODY DICTATOR: THERE IS NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT.

One thing the supporters of President Buhari hate to see is anyone criticizing their idol. All they want is for you to praise the President. The forgot that if that was the case, it would have been impossible to support Buhari, as a candidate. I have no problem criticizing him because I supported him wholeheartedly. I campaigned for him and made enemies doing so. Nobody can question my objectivity or accuse me of ulterior motives in my criticisms of the President. In addition to my constitutional rights, I do have the moral right to criticize President Buhari.

The fact however is that President Buhari is a nasty dictator. His disrespect for the constitution has no match among elected leaders of the world. Right from the day he was sworn in, he started all manger of attacks against our judicial institutions. All those remarks about special courts and looking for " honest and fearless judges" were disguised language of a dictator that would not obey the courts of the land. Now we know what he meant by "honest and fearless" judges. These must be judges that would fulfill his wishes of violating the rights of Nigerian citizens, particularly his opponents' rights.

But beyond his dictatorship, Buhari is fast establishing himself as a clueless leader. He somehow assumes that Nigerians are silly and that they would not understand the truth. In a way, he may be right in his assessment of Nigerians. But there are still many Nigerians who are capable of understanding simple things. For instance, many Nigerians understood that when we speak of fearless judges, we speak of judges that would not fear the Executive arm of government. Fearless judges are judges who would protect the rights of the small people - the rights of the citizens against the government's tendency to overreach. Buhari turned this simple and elementary logic on it head and he thinks that "fearless" judges are judges that would sheepishly obey the wishes of the Executive.

During President Buhari's media chat, it became clear how Buhari sees government. He thinks that a responsible government is one that would refuse to obey the courts or overrule the courts. He thinks that a responsible government is one that disobeys the constitution when it doesn't like the provisions of the constitution. He thinks that a responsible government is one that controls and slams people into jail without the court system. Buhari's understanding of government comes straight from the dictator's handbook.

But the huge irony of this is that the same Buhari persuaded Nigerians to vote for him. He should never forget the simple logic of that. He is the product of the people's mandate. He is the product of the Constitution. He cannot become greater than the people or greater than the Constitution. The more he attacks the Constitution, the more he undermines the same institution that produced him.

President Buhari needs to make that mental leap. He has to remove his mind from the 1983-85 mentality or timeline. He must fast-track his mind to the 21st Century. Also, Buhari must show some gratitude to Nigerians. He once overthrew the Constitution of this country. Nigerians forgave him and gave him another chance. He should stop trying to overthrow the Constitution again. He will not have a third chance.

http://www.zubbyblog.com/lawyer-arrested-by-dss-for-insulting-buhari-on-facebook/

1 Share

Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by SenJoe(m): 5:18pm On Jan 15, 2016
I comment my reserve what did I just say?

We don enter one chance o
No more freedom of speech

5 Likes

Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by dukie25: 5:21pm On Jan 15, 2016
We're back to military rule, our ruler is General Buhari and his number 2 man is Lawan Daura. God will punish the Daura Mafia and their supporters.

6 Likes

Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by harjayi(m): 5:24pm On Jan 15, 2016
hmmmm, we do enter one chance in the name of change. that mean they will soon arrest me o.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by Tunami(m): 5:38pm On Jan 15, 2016
idi amin's speech comes to my mind "freedom of speech but freedom after speech i cannot guarantee".

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by PRYCE(m): 5:43pm On Jan 15, 2016
Lawan daura is the pawn in Buhari's dictatorial chess!

These guys should make sure they retain the FG come 2019 else these treatments will be metted out on em with equal proportions!

5 Likes

Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by biafranbaby(m): 5:46pm On Jan 15, 2016
That's why all anti-buhari posts are hidden on nairaland.
Fear don grip some people from a certain tribe.

5 Likes

Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by bossOD: 5:48pm On Jan 15, 2016
All I can say is, welcome to change. APC!!,

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by HtwoOw: 7:40pm On Jan 15, 2016
There is freedom of speech

But freedom after speech is not guaranteed

As a lawyer he should have applied sense

But I won't be surprised if there's another reason he was arrested, DSS has not arrested anyone innocent so far

So, Oga lawyer stop crying foul

Na you do you

DabullIT I summon thee
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by NextGovernor(m): 7:42pm On Jan 15, 2016
hmmm
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by CACAWA(m): 8:21pm On Jan 15, 2016
Lalasticlala
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by reuben79: 8:46pm On Jan 15, 2016
dukie25:
We're back to military rule, our ruler is General Buhari and his number 2 man is Lawan Daura. God will punish the Daura Mafia and their supporters.
u never see anythin............when gej parked igbos to his government nobody talk and nobody make noise.........naaa buhari time........u will cry till eight years..........ijaws slave
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by muzzol: 9:00pm On Jan 15, 2016
I challenge you all to google this lawyer and you will know why he was invited by the DSS. Very simple.
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by Blackfire(m): 9:01pm On Jan 15, 2016
Oh am loving this change.
*kneels down to pray*.

If u voted for this government and u complain this year, amadioha + sango and Zeus there European brother will fire u , ten times ten.

Oh am loving this change. . Carry go president buhari till 2023.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 15, 2016
thank CHUKWU OKIKE ABIAMA i dont have the shit you call PVC
if you voted APC well enjoy your change
if you didnt enjoy the change
for RISING SUN people like me, the zoo must fall
wait o.................................. that lawyer is a human rights activist and an IGBO man
bubu carry on
thunder go soon fire you
dollar is 308 and the fool is arresting igbo men
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by Onyejiuwaokoh: 10:01pm On Jan 15, 2016
1,Court order- not allowed 2,Freedom of speech- forbidden 3,Federal character -incompetence 4,Election -bloody war and inconclusiveness 5,journalism and reporting of dail killings- abomination. Other ones are still coming out as the pot contents are unveiled.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by CharlyNick: 12:50am On Jan 16, 2016
Since some of his agents are even here on Nairaland, I reserve my comment till when Jonathan returns to Power.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by Ucheosefoh(m): 8:55am On Jan 17, 2016
reuben79:
u never see anythin............when gej parked igbos to his government nobody talk and nobody make noise.........naaa buhari time........u will cry till eight years..........ijaws slave
We are talking of abuse of human rights, you are talking of appointments. Guy when you go get sense?
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by hopilo: 9:04am On Jan 17, 2016
Is this for real? In a democracy? Oh Nigeria
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by Karanka: 10:28am On Jan 17, 2016
Ucheosefoh:
We are talking of abuse of human rights, you are talking of appointments. Guy when you go get sense?
That Guy you quoted has consistently refused to use his brain...
Don't bother yourself explaining things to him; his case is a lost one.
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by skimarvel: 11:02am On Jan 17, 2016
One chance
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by reuben79: 3:16pm On Jan 17, 2016
Ucheosefoh:
see ur dirty mouth,its make u talk anyhow........is nt ur faulty anyway,u ar nt born wit moral
Re: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Writing Against Buhari On Facebook by Ucheosefoh(m): 3:28pm On Jan 17, 2016
reuben79:
see ur dirty mouth,its make u talk anyhow........is nt ur faulty anyway,u ar nt born wit moral
See who is talking of moral, you leave topic began talking rubbish and have the gut to talk about who is born with moral bro go buy commonsense you really need one

(1) (Reply)

Photonews: Aregbesola Appoints, First Female Chancellor Of A Public University / The Worst Government In Nigeria History. By Femi Aribisala / Addressing Injustices Inherent In Mamman Nasir's Boundary Adjustment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.