Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,434 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:33 AM

What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed (54177 Views)

"I Have Suffered A Lot From Those Who Twist Information" -femi Adesina Says / What A Powerful Lie From Alhaji Lie Lai Mohammed / Badeh Asked Me To Lie That I Own His N1.8 Billion Shopping Mall, Witness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by moshoodable: 6:21pm On Jan 15, 2016
In this interview with PREMIUM TIMES’ Ben Ezeamalu, the Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, spoke about his time as an opposition spokesperson, the war against insurgency, and the government’s proposed 2016 budget.
PREMIUM TIMES: For years, you served as the spokesperson for the opposition party. But now you’ve moved to become the spokesperson for the ruling party. What’s the major difference between the two positions?
Lai: Of course there are major differences. As the opposition’s spokesperson, you speak majorly for the opposition and you speak, also, within the information available to you. And you speak with the perspective of how you’ll do things better if you were there.
Now as the government spokesperson, you’ll be speaking not just for the government but the whole of the country. And you are expected to know everything about everything and whatever you say, the government could be held accountable to it. So it has its challenges. It could be quite exciting but it’s also full of challenges. In other words, you must at any given time be very abreast of the government’s policies, programmes, and you must be able to explain to the average Nigerian why things are being done in certain ways or why some things are not being done at all.
Yes, it’s a much more onerous responsibility in the sense that even the outside world will rely on you for information and news about your country. So it means then that you must know exactly how government works, what is happening, what are the reasons for what policies government is taking.
PT: But with you now being on the government side, when you look back to your days as the opposition spokesperson, do you feel there were things you unfairly criticized the then government for the way they handled them?
Lai: No, I don’t think so. Because I’ve gone back, we criticized based on information available to us. Even today I often revisit some of my positions. As at the time those issues were addressed, even with my position in government today, if the opposition today should raise the same issues, I wouldn’t fault them. Unless you can be specific and tell me that look ‘during Boko Haram you said this, today are you not saying a different thing?’ And you find out that there’s nothing I said all through my years on the position of Boko Haram that cannot be defended given circumstances on ground then.
PT: In your time as opposition spokesperson, you had people who admired the way you carried out your duties, as well as those who criticized them. Why is your party, the APC, finding it difficult to get your replacement?
Lai: Well, I think, on one hand, it’s flattering to hear that one is missed at his former position. Again, I believe that there are many Nigerians that can do better…
PT: (Cuts in) Like your deputy, Timi Frank?
Lai: …However, the fact of the matter is that positions in political parties are not usually on ‘merit.’ Or put this way, are not usually entirely on merit. There are other factors. They are not usually based on qualifications and, at times, it might be based on expediency or balancing. So it might be a bit difficult if you are now sourcing for your replacement. By the time you juggle the various political factors and all these things, you might not be able to find the right person.
Let me give you a practical example, and I want to look at it from this perspective. We have an 18 member National Working Committee, there are three from each geo-political zone. So if one resigns from one geo-political zone, because he has been a minister or a commissioner or he takes another political office, he must be replaced by somebody from that same geopolitical zone. You can see where the problem lies.
Yes, my deputy can act for me only until the next national convention of the party. But at that national convention of the party, my zone north-central, which is now left with only two members will expect that the next replacement must come from that zone. So that creates problems a bit.

Two, the occupier of the office also brings a few things to that office. And with all sense of humility, I think I’ve been in that office for quite a while. I was the pioneer national publicity secretary for the AC in 2006, in Benin, Edo State, I was elected. And for almost 10 years I held that office. So think it helped a lot. From the AC to the ACN and to APC. So whoever is going to succeed me may not necessarily have that kind of experience, but he could have some qualities that might even make him better.

PT: As spokesperson for then opposition party, a lot of people saw you as a Master of Propaganda. Some even said your first name ‘Lai’ was synonymous with ‘lie.’ How does it feel being seen in that light?

Lai: I think the democratization of the media space has brought a lot of changes, a lot of developments. Today you must have the capacity to absorb a lot of irritation. You must have the largeness of heart to tolerate a lot of insults. But the important thing is for you to remain focused. Most people react to you based on emotions. Because I’ve always challenged those who called me a propagandist to come out with just one of the thousands of press interventions I have made and say ‘this is propaganda,’ ‘this is not true.’ I’ve always challenged them.

PT: But the last time, you said the fuel scarcity would last for a “few days.” It ended up lasting for weeks…

Lai: No. Number one, I did not say that in my position as the spokesperson for the opposition, I said that as a minister. And what I said was that the payment would be made in a few days time and that will improve the situation. And the payment was actually made a few days after. And I’ve had occasions to explain to the world the complex issues surrounding fuel scarcity. The immediate cause was the fact that we owed marketers lot of arrears and we went to National Assembly and we asked for supplementary budget of N674 billion. Out of it, N532 billion was dedicated to payment of arrears. Nobody can deny these facts, they are there. You see, people react to you based on emotion. And the truth of the matter is that these arrears date back to August 2014. These facts are there but you see people can’t handle hard facts.
Two, I’ve explained that in addition to the backlog of payments which actually led to marketers to the fact that marketers refused to bring in products because banks also refused to extend their credit facility. We’ve always had challenges with the distribution network. We have 5,120 kilometres of pipeline, 24 depots, 21 pump stations, with this network we ought to not to have any problem with administration. But unfortunately the pipeline vandalization has rendered our pipeline networks ineffective. Before now if you are in Ilorin, Ibadan, Mosimi, Satellite, or Ore, you did not need to bring your tankers to Lagos to get products. But because these pipelines have been so vandalized, trucks from Ilorin, from Ibadan, from Mosimi, from Satellite are all now queueing up at the Atlas Cove jetty. It is only about a week or so ago we were able to secure the pipeline, that is the Atlas Cove, that you can see a lot of improvement.

Again, another factor why the queue has been lingering is that the tackney is not good for this kind of scarcity. Because as you approach the winter, most refineries in the world, they would have switched over to LP not PMS – they are approaching winter so they are now refining more of the heavy oil for the heaters and for the homes and they are refining less for PMS for automobiles.
Again, we need to address the issue of enforcement and implementation by the regulatory authorities like PPPRA and DPR.

So to go back, I did not say fuel queues will disappear in days. I said we’ll resolve the matter in a few days time. And we did. Because the budget was passed and we were able to pay all the arrears. But then it’s like resetting your television, it takes a while because it’s a chain of supply and distribution.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/features-and-interviews/196808-interview-what-i-tell-people-who-twist-my-first-name-lai-to-lie-lai-mohammed.html

5 Likes

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by jaymejate: 6:23pm On Jan 15, 2016
[size=15pt]Copy and paste material nor de balance for Nairaland [/size]

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by Alphaoscar: 6:25pm On Jan 15, 2016
I'm a big fan of lie Muhammed !!!

Even wailers wish they have someone like him instead of the otondo that call himself Metuh-seller.

94 Likes 9 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by meforyou1(m): 6:27pm On Jan 15, 2016
Lie Mohd. A born and bred liar from the pit of hell

209 Likes 17 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by Firefire(m): 6:32pm On Jan 15, 2016
meforyou1:
Lie Mohd. A born and bred liar from the pit of hell

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by kilokeys(m): 6:35pm On Jan 15, 2016
Op sef can lie..
Tot it would be some few sentences.. Dem carry interview dump for hia

Scallawags undecided

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by bonechamberlain(m): 6:38pm On Jan 15, 2016
nonsense
Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by drss(m): 6:40pm On Jan 15, 2016
liar mohammed lying as usual.

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by chxe: 6:44pm On Jan 15, 2016
Lie lie moha

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by GodpunishBuhari: 7:02pm On Jan 15, 2016
Foolish propagandist man

Linus mohammed

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by GodpunishBuhari: 7:03pm On Jan 15, 2016
Alphaoscar:

Even wailers wish they have someone like him instead of the otondo that call himself Metuh-seller.

You still twisted his name... and you call Yya self fan... fan ko a.c ni. mtchew

133 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:10pm On Jan 15, 2016
I love this man. If PDP and the wailers call him propagandist, it's understood: he was a torn on their flesh while he was the Publicity Secretary of APC. Some PDP senators during the screening were surprised at seeing him in person.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by mazzi: 7:21pm On Jan 15, 2016
Liar with big mouth

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by witorwitoutyou(m): 7:27pm On Jan 15, 2016
Lia Mohammed,dts d prob of shortening ur name
E fit b say na Layiwola baba dey bear so,can u now c d consequence angry

3 Likes

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by bright007(f): 7:40pm On Jan 15, 2016
k
Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by IVORY2009(m): 7:50pm On Jan 15, 2016
Lie lie minister...

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by ta4ba3(m): 7:58pm On Jan 15, 2016
Dint read it Cuz d guy can lie for Africa am sure d article posted by d op is also a lie Cuz it has traces of lie Muhammed in it

14 Likes

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by Alphaoscar: 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2016
GodpunishBuhari:

You still twisted his name... and you call Yya self fan... fan ko a.c ni. mtchew

please just do the needful and keel yourself !!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by IVORY2009(m): 8:00pm On Jan 15, 2016
Alphaoscar:

I gave up on Lai Mohammed during the Osun state elections, wen he publicly said on National Television, dat he was stopped by some DSS officials on his way to Osun state, "arrested", while he was @ DSS office, he introduced himself, as APC national publicity secretary,despite dat he was still asked to take off his clothes and was asked to sit on the floor, den a senior Dss official now came and rescued him, drove him with his car down to the main town, dis Minister can LIE.. cheesy grin

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by raumdeuter: 8:02pm On Jan 15, 2016
Lai Mohammed a master of his craft

10 Likes

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by ademiD(f): 8:03pm On Jan 15, 2016
lai Muhammed
Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by free2ryhme: 8:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
you have been the best thing that has happened to Nigeria in terms of information and allowing Nigerians see the truth over the years during the opposition times, many wouldn't have been able to see the rot and wickedness displayed by the opposition if not for your insight and information dissemination. We love you and thanks for always feeding the country with the truth not like the clueless government that we kicked out

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by chinchum(m): 8:12pm On Jan 15, 2016
IVORY2009:

I gave up on Lai Mohammed during the Osun state elections, wen he publicly said on National Television, dat he was stopped by some DSS officials on his way to Osun state, "arrested", while he was @ DSS office, he introduced himself, as APC national publicity secretary,despite dat he was still asked to take off his clothes and was asked to sit on the floor, den a senior Dss official now came and rescued him, drove him with his car down to the main town, dis Minister can LIE.. cheesy grin
But marilyn Ogar, ex DSS director confirmed he was arrested.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by free2ryhme: 8:14pm On Jan 15, 2016
grin

Call him Lai or Lie the bitter truth is that you know the name Lai Mohammed the man who ended pdp 16years propaganda reign by exposing them

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by html14java(f): 8:14pm On Jan 15, 2016
Hilarious

1 Like

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by NobleAngell(f): 8:14pm On Jan 15, 2016
Na lie o. I no go fit read this kind long Tori. You should have summarized it in 2 sentences at most. Who do you want to stress?

2 Likes

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by Whizkeey(m): 8:15pm On Jan 15, 2016
Ogbeni abeg summarize I cannot come and kill my self jare
Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by Kufie(m): 8:16pm On Jan 15, 2016
I bet this is a lie too

11 Likes

Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by kirchofff(m): 8:16pm On Jan 15, 2016
Wat abt Nlanders who call u LINUS; what do u tell em?
Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by Segadem(m): 8:17pm On Jan 15, 2016
hmm? journalists can ask silly question sa!
Re: What I Tell People Who Twist My First Name, “lai”, To “lie” – Lai Mohammed by Sijo01(f): 8:17pm On Jan 15, 2016
Who cares? My friend, gerarahere mehn.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Independence Anniversary Expenditure For The Past 5 Years. - Nasir El-rufai / Boko Haram Kills 30 In Maiduguri, Kidnaps Dozens / IGP Idris Poses With His Mistress Amina - Sahara Reporters (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.