Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,231 members, 7,836,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic (1320 Views)

World's Hottest Looking Black Doctors And Nurses (Photos) / Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses / Your Embarrassing Online Searches About Health Problems Aren’t Private (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic by MegMich(m): 9:22am On Jan 16, 2016
We've all had need(s) requiring the services of a doctor(s). Such consultation(s) may constitute;
1. Taking a history...when the doctor asks you questions.

2. Examination...when a part(s) of your diseased body is observed.

3. Investigation...which requires you donating a bodily fluid, exposure to x-rays etc.

4. Treatment...when the doctor actually prescribes or offers deductive solution.

At each point or even in cases of emergency, we've been met embarrassing moments some of which leaves up cracking up and others, perhaps makes wanna erase that part of our encounter from our hippocampus.

Whatever the situation, let's hear it. Below are some extracts:

1.The guy whose bodily fluids cost his doctor a new book, clothes and paint.

“I was feeling unwell, and the doctor put the flat wooden stick on my tongue to check my throat. He put it too far. My gag reflex ignited and his desk, book, clothes, chair, wall, and floor… They were coated completely in vomit.”

2.The patient who ruined some white sheets:

“I had diarrhea one time and I had to lie on the [hospital] bed. The doctor came and checked my heart rate, and then she pressed on my stomach, which triggered me shitting all over the bed’s white covers. I had to walk to the bathroom down the hall in shame to clean myself.”

3 The guy who really didn’t need to touch his doctor’s knee:

“My husband went to the doctor for his knee, which was achy and clicking. The doctor assured him it wasn’t anything serious by saying, ‘If you were to feel my knee, it does the same thing.’ So [my] husband slowly reaches out and puts his hand on the doctor’s knee. Cue awkward silence for a few seconds until the doc said, ‘Please don’t touch my knee,’ and my husband left the room in mortified silence!”

4.The woman who just couldn’t hold it in:

“I farted during a gyno exam, like when her face was right there.”

5. One day I had to be the bearer of bad news when I told a wife that her husband had died of a massive myocardial infarct.
Not more than five minutes later, I heard her reporting to the rest of the family that he had died of a 'massive internal fart.

6. “I was at the gynecologist, and I was getting my first check-up. When he was giving me the check-up he told me, ‘I need you to scoot your body forward.’ So I did, but I fell off the table and the doctor caught me. It was so embarrassing!”

7. A medical student was asked to examine a man with bladder outlet obstruction(inability to pass urine). Just then he noticed a suprapubic mass(swelling in the lower part of the abdomen) and on applying pressure on that area(and of course standing infront of the man), the man suddenly shoots up and thus wet the students ward coat, face and what have you.

Share your experiences fellas!!!
Re: Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic by kossyablaze(m): 9:24am On Jan 16, 2016
I vomited...despite how ill I was ,dey forced me to get up and clean it.
Re: Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic by kilokeys(m): 9:27am On Jan 16, 2016
I couldn't poo without pains..

And this male doctor wore a glove and fagged me with his fingers

Never felt so vulnerable...
Re: Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 16, 2016
Loool. I'll share mine when this makes frontpage
Re: Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 16, 2016
Sorry to tell you, but as medical workers we are subject to professional secrecy. It does not only cover not mentioning patients details but according to my ethics it encompasses as much not to report about so called "embarrassing moments" with patients. For me embarrassing moments doesnt exist at all, everything is just human and natural. Patients come to you in their highest vulnerability, exposing themselves. In order to be able to cure them well, you need a confidential relationship in which you feel the medical staff is not looking at anything as weird, dirty or embarrassing.

If patients wanna report their experiences here, its fine, but let medical workers refrain from it, in order not to make patients subject of fun or entertainment and damage that way the basic cores of trust that should be the fundaments of the medical profession.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic by MegMich(m): 12:45pm On Jan 16, 2016
Tufanja:
Sorry to tell you, but as medical workers we are subject to professional secrecy. It does not only cover not mentioning patients details but according to my ethics it encompasses as much not to report about so called "embarrassing moments" with patients. For me embarrassing moments doesnt exist at all, everything is just human and natural. Patients come to you in their highest vulnerability, exposing themselves. In order to be able to cure them well, you need a confidential relationship in which you feel the medical staff is not looking at anything as weird, dirty or embarrassing.

If patients wanna report their experiences here, its fine, but let medical workers refrain from it, in order not to make patients subject of fun or entertainment and damage that way the basic cores of trust that should be the fundaments of the medical profession.

Unfortunately, you've veered off the point. Nobody is trying to renege on the oath of patients' confidentiality.

The obligation of confidentiality ONLY prohibits the health care provider from disclosing information about the patient's case(ILLNESS, AILMENT and what have you) to others without permission and encourages the providers and health care systems to take precautions to ensure that only authorized access occurs.

My dear, the listed examples in my first has in no way gone contrary to aforementioned.

Furthermore, a doctor may receive a hot slap from a patient for no obvious reason and you should as well call that patients' confidentiality ish huh?

A doctor may fall while walking on a slippery floor and this probably happened in the ever busy Accident and Emergency ward. I guess this also confidential.?

A child peeing on his doctor for fear of injections....the list is endless.

Have a great day.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 16, 2016
MegMich:

Unfortunately, you've veered off the point. Nobody is trying to renege on the oath of patients' confidentiality.

The obligation of confidentiality ONLY prohibits the health care provider from disclosing information about the patient's case(ILLNESS, AILMENT and what have you) to others without permission and encourages the providers and health care systems to take precautions to ensure that only authorized access occurs.

My dear, the listed examples in my first has in no way gone contrary to aforementioned.

Furthermore, a doctor may receive a hot slap from a patient for no obvious reason and you should as well call that patients' confidentiality ish huh?

A doctor may fall while walking on a slippery floor and this probably happened in the ever busy Accident and Emergency ward. I guess this also confidential.?

A child peeing on his doctor for fear of injections....the list is endless.

Have a great day.

You have clearly not carefully read what i typed..."according to my ethics...etc". I was referring to deontological ethics and that patients' confidentiality should go hand in hand with deep rooted personal and deontological ethics towards the insight you get into patients' vulnerability.
You totally missed out the nuances of my post and the deeper meaning. Anyway, I m happy you not my doctor. Maybe it is because I am working in a world where human life and dignity are apparently more worth it than in our dear naija. I care about what confidentiality really means. Maybe you too can do some reading on the topic, there are a number of interesting publications on it. Maybe it will make you see the relevance and how it can improve the quality of care and where my approach is coming from.
Re: Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic by MegMich(m): 4:47pm On Jan 16, 2016
Tufanja:

You have clearly not carefully read what i typed..."according to my ethics...etc". I was referring to deontological ethics and that patients' confidentiality should go hand in hand with deep rooted personal and deontological ethics towards the insight you get into patients' vulnerability.
You totally missed out the nuances of my post and the deeper meaning. Anyway, I m happy you not my doctor. Maybe it is because I am working in a world where human life and dignity are apparently more worth it than in our dear naija. I care about what confidentiality really means. Maybe you too can do some reading on the topic, there are a number of interesting publications on it. Maybe it will make you see the relevance and how it can improve the quality of care and where my approach is coming from.

My dear,

Let's stop already. Probably we've failed to understand each.
I should add however that what I have said so far and what I think you're seemly implying has in no way violated the principle of confidentiality.

"If patients wanna report their experiences here, its fine, but let medical workers refrain from it, in order not to make patients subject of fun or entertainment and damage that way the basic cores of trust that should be the fundaments of the medical profession", these where your exact words and I guess you were referring to medical ethics and not deontology.

Have a great day dear!

#loveandrespect
Re: Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jan 16, 2016
MegMich:

My dear,

Let's stop already. Probably we've failed to understand each.
I should add however that what I have said so far and what I think you're seemly implying has in no way violated the principle of confidentiality.

"If patients wanna report their experiences here, its fine, but let medical workers refrain from it, in order not to make patients subject of fun or entertainment and damage that way the basic cores of trust that should be the fundaments of the medical profession", these where your exact words and I guess you were referring to medical ethics and not deontology.

Have a great day dear!

#loveandrespect

You giving me an overdose of "dear" here grin

#check the 7 rights of loveandrespect-medication again tongue
Re: Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic by Tomeseen(f): 11:25pm On Jan 16, 2016
Jeez... and I came here to av some laffs. Issoraite ooo.

On to the next.
No time smiley
Re: Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 17, 2016
This geh don spoil this interesting tread now. Mschwew.

(1) (Reply)

World's First Head Transplant A Success After Nineteen Hours Of Operation / Diabetes Cure With Diet Plans / Slimfast Shakes. Lose Weight And Keep It Off!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.