Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,642 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! (1023 Views)

Beware Hip Hop Is Evil Don't Be A Victim? / "The Sad Truth About Hip Hop" <chain letter> / Destiny's Child, the Hip-Hop Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! by kaypumpin2(m): 3:04pm On Jun 22, 2009
I am not a hip hop head,i hate to be so labelled too.I feel the term infers to musical parochialism and disability.I mean,why should anyone with the copious genre and brand of music that abounds decide to nibble on just rap? I deem it the height of monotony really. . . . . Ok to the issue at hand

I was flipping through the musical channels yesterday and all i saw was the "new form" of hip hop that to me were simply nauseating.Soildier Boi was milli vanillin to kiss you through the phone on Mtv base,Flo-rida was on Trace TV exhibiting his new tatoo(or so it seems),Lil Wayne has taken the vocoder thing to ne plus ultra cum he was acting a rock-star rather than a hip hop act. angry Damn!,there's been a volte-face from what use to be. sad cry

If you grew up listening and watching the deep rap culture proponents of the 80's and 90's(Public Enemy,NWA,Big Daddy Kane et al) on Yo!Mtv Rap and Rap City,you can not but be riled by the vitiated versio of rap on offer nowadays.

Turn on my radio and it was a "modern rap song" booming;catchy but scanty beat with repetitive chorus.The snap your finger lean-back schitzo.There's so much of Lil'-Quality of poetry going on by the likes of Lil'-Flip,Lil' Jon et al you'd think there's a fatwa on real hip hop.I was hating on the track but nodding my head nonetheless,nd who amongst us hasn't been a slave to the page of this so called wacka wicki MCs.Haven't we all been transfixed to the videos of an iced out Mike Jones,Lil'Wayne and Lil' what- have-you spewing nothing but exhibiting a Dr 90210 piccasoed vixens!

And i ask myself,at what point did Hip Hop give up it's realness and give us it's ghost?What are the hard-line rules that this new artiste failed?For example,Don Williams,Kenny Rogers,Dolly Parton et al did country music the way listeners will term original way back but i don't hear listeners cast aspersion at the way Faith Hill,Shania Twain,Tim McGraw,Lone stars et all do it now. undecided BUT how many times has the KRS-1 of this world taken a swipe at Nelly?

I asked,are this hip hop heads been primitive,stuck-in-the-past spoilt sports who just refused to accept the train of hip hop has left them behind?

Is hip hop really dead or there is an evolution,or maybe a revolution?

I wil like to know y'all stands and opinion please. cool

While we are at it,please no name calling oooo grin
Re: Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! by eldee(m): 3:34pm On Jun 22, 2009
kay_pumpin:

I am not a hip hop head,i hate to be so labelled too.I feel the term infers to musical parochialism and disability.I mean,why should anyone with the copious genre and brand of music that abounds decide to nibble on just rap? I deem it the height of monotony really. . . . . Ok to the issue at hand

I was flipping through the musical channels yesterday and all i saw was the "new form" of hip hop that to me were simply nauseating.Soildier Boi was milli vanillin to kiss you through the phone on Mtv base,Flo-rida was on Trace TV exhibiting his new tatoo(or so it seems),Lil Wayne has taken the vocoder thing to ne plus ultra cum he was acting a rock-star rather than a hip hop act. angry Damn!,there's been a volte-face from what use to be. sad cry

If you grew up listening and watching the deep rap culture proponents of the 80's and 90's(Public Enemy,NWA,Big Daddy Kane et al) on Yo!Mtv Rap and Rap City,you can not but be riled by the vitiated versio of rap on offer nowadays.

Turn on my radio and it was a "modern rap song" booming;catchy but scanty beat with repetitive chorus.The snap your finger lean-back schitzo.There's so much of Lil'-Quality of poetry going on by the likes of Lil'-Flip,Lil' Jon et al you'd think there's a fatwa on real hip hop.I was hating on the track but nodding my head nonetheless,nd who amongst us hasn't been a slave to the page of this so called wacka wicki MCs.Haven't we all been transfixed to the videos of an iced out Mike Jones,Lil'Wayne and Lil' what- have-you spewing nothing but exhibiting a Dr 90210 piccasoed vixens!

And i ask myself,at what point did Hip Hop give up it's realness and give us it's ghost?What are the hard-line rules that this new artiste failed?For example,Don Williams,Kenny Rogers,Dolly Parton et al did country music the way listeners will term original way back but i don't hear listeners cast aspersion at the way Faith Hill,Shania Twain,Tim McGraw,Lone stars et all do it now. undecided BUT how many times has the KRS-1 of this world taken a swipe at Nelly?

I asked,are this hip hop heads been primitive,stuck-in-the-past spoilt sports who just refused to accept the train of hip hop has left them behind?
You spew my mind . . . infact in Kanye's words 'we're like a pair of siamese twins connected by brain'

Music and evolution are inseperable . . . Pop used to be Elvis, now it's Justin
Rock used to be Oasis, now it's Kings of Leon . . . even Fuji has changed from what we've always known it to be
I seriously do not understand why everyone has a problem with hiphop.

The most shocking aspect of all this is that people have refused to admit that hiphop's themes and presentation got monotonous
It was like knowing what each rapper was going to throw out time and time again.

If we look at the scenario carefully, it's easy to point out that the artistes that have refused to change are the same ones that have been left out.
Re: Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! by kaypumpin2(m): 3:51pm On Jun 22, 2009
eldee:

You spew my mind . . . infact in Kanye's words 'we're like a pair of siamese twins connected by brain'

Music and evolution are inseperable . . . Pop used to be Elvis, now it's Justin
Rock used to be Oasis, now it's Kings of Leon . . . even Fuji has changed from what we've always known it to be
I seriously do not understand why everyone has a problem with hiphop.

The most shocking aspect of all this is that people have refused to admit that hiphop's themes and presentation got monotonous
It was like knowing what each rapper was going to throw out time and time again.

If we look at the scenario carefully, it's easy to point out that the artistes that have refused to change are the same ones that have been left out.

Thanks El dee!

I wonder what we will all say if Soildier is still screaming burn hollywood burn a la P.Enemy

I think those old school dudes should rather infuse the modernity that obtains now rather than scream obscenity.

And didn't Obama won us all over with CHANGE?It is ironic how we all want change yet scream Hip Hop is dead!
Re: Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! by Bamsyle(m): 4:44pm On Jun 22, 2009
kay_pumpin:

I am not a hip hop head,i hate to be so labelled too.I feel the term infers to musical parochialism and disability.I mean,why should anyone with the copious genre and brand of music that abounds decide to nibble on just rap? I deem it the height of monotony really. . . . .

Hehe . . . good for you to start on that 'safe' note . . .  tongue I always scream that clause whenever my locus standi on issues like this is put to question . . .  cheesy

BTW, I kick with any genre of music that I find appealing . . . variety is the spice of life . . . just that Rap is the most expressive genre I've ever come across.

@topic

I'm divided on this issue . . .

I welcome change . . . it's a constant thing in life . . . and in Music, the more change we have, the better . . . as long as it's progressive anyway.

However, Rap, unlike Pop, Rock, R'n'B et al, has its high standards et strict rules . . . example - anyone armed with a good voice, a good use of it, and a knowledge of Love and its offsprings, can become a good R'n'B singer . . . there are no strict rules or high standards . . . and that's why you won't find a Don Williams/Kenny Rogers generation screaming "crucify him" at Donnell Jones, Ginuwine or whoever . . .

In R'n'B, fans love and admire their fave artistes . . . in Rap, it ain't so . . . a good MC (especially back in those days) must command sumn deeper than love from his fans . . . something measured with terms like respect and awe . . . and there are so many hurdles to cross to be considered an MC of repute . . . there are broad-based issues like in-depth lyrics, sick delivery/flow . . . there are sub-issues like multis, in-rhymes, wordplay, metas et al . . .

An MC needs more than a good voice to be reckoned with . . . we're talking bout cats who grew up battling with rhymes improvised or spat on-the-spur-of-the-moment . . . cats who can spin one word with a thousand meanings . . . dudes who can move the world with words . . . a good MC (again - particularly back in those days) gets treated like a deity, a demi-god . . .

With all these determining factors, I ain't surprised that some folk would say Hip Hop is dead . . . of course it's cos the game has changed . . . some good . . . some bad . . . but when you do the math . . . the bad seems to outweigh the good.

It's a case of to of whom much is given expected . . . much more is expected.
Re: Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! by malcolmx: 5:31pm On Jun 22, 2009
Bamsyle:

Hehe . . . good for you to start on that 'safe' note . . . tongue I always scream that clause whenever my locus standi on issues like this is put to question . . . cheesy

BTW, I kick with any genre of music that I find appealing . . . variety is the spice of life . . . just that Rap is the most expressive genre I've ever come across.

@topic

I welcome change . . . it's a constant thing in life . . . and in Music, the more change we have, the better . . . as long as it's progressive anyway.

However, Rap, unlike Pop, Rock, R'n'B et al, has its high standards et strict rules . . . example - anyone armed with a good voice, a good use of it, and a knowledge of Love and its offsprings, can become a good R'n'B singer . . . there are no strict rules or high standards . . . and that's why you won't find a Don Williams/Kenny Rogers generation screaming "crucify him" at Donnell Jones, Ginuwine or whoever . . .

In R'n'B, fans love and admire their fave artistes . . . in Rap, it ain't so . . . a good MC (especially back in those days) must command sumn deeper than love from his fans . . . something measured with terms like respect and awe . . . and there are so many hurdles to cross to be considered an MC of repute . . . there are broad-based issues like in-depth lyrics, sick delivery/flow . . . there are sub-issues like multis, in-rhymes, wordplay, metas et al . . .

An MC needs more than a good voice to be reckoned with . . . we're talking bout cats who grew up battling with rhymes improvised or spat on-the-spur-of-the-moment . . . cats who can spin one word with a thousand meanings . . . dudes who can move the world with words . . . a good MC (again - particularly back in those days) gets treated like a deity, a demi-god . . .

With all these determining factors, I ain't surprised that some folk would say Hip Hop is dead . . . of course it's cos the game has changed . . . some good . . . some bad . . . but when you do the math . . . the bad seems to outweigh the good.

It's a case of to whom much is given expected . . . much more is expected.

I really agree with u on this one.But the truth happens to be that Snap music is deviating from what hiphop used to be. Characterised by shallow lyrics, unseriousness, no lyrical creativity e.t.c
I wonder where Hiphop would've been by now if it was started by the likes of Soldier Boi,Hurricane Chris,Plies e.t.c.
Really, i see no future in Hiphop with the domination of these cats and their likes.
www.realhiphopng..com
Re: Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! by eldee(m): 5:39pm On Jun 22, 2009
malcolmx:

I really agree with u on this one.But the truth happens to be that Snap music is deviating from what hiphop used to be. Characterised by shallow lyrics, unseriousness, no lyrical creativity e.t.c
I wonder where Hiphop would've been by now if it was started by the likes of Soldier Boi,Hurricane Chris,lies e.t.c.
Really, i see no future in Hiphop with the domination of these cats and their likes.

www.realhiphopng..com

Funny enough . . . I think it would have evolved into the Pacs and Biggies
Change is always there . . . Darwin's theory wolda worked it's magic on hiphop
Re: Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! by kaypumpin2(m): 3:18pm On Jun 24, 2009
Re: Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! by javalove(m): 4:45pm On Jun 24, 2009
Bamsyle:

Hehe . . . good for you to start on that 'safe' note . . .  tongue I always scream that clause whenever my locus standi on issues like this is put to question . . .  cheesy

@topic

It's a case of to whom much is given expected . . . much more is expected.

Gbam . . !
Re: Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! by bgees(m): 6:23pm On Jun 24, 2009
I am a hiphop head, and i am stuck in the past. the past that ended in 2001.

Hiphop has the right to change, the tunes, themes but the quality of lyrics must not change. Nowadays lyrics are very predictable.

the guys that I feel could have 'saved' hiphop like Papoose, Ali Vegas, Crooked I and Saigon have done all their best works on mixtapes . and that trend isn't any good.

I dont mind a new guy like Wale, but people like lil wayne , flo rida drive me crazy.

and thank God, jay z added his voice with Death of Auto tune.
Re: Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! by Younik: 4:41pm On Sep 05, 2009
if not for d fact dat i am in a good mood today,i would have labelled d Poster of diz thread a 'Bunch of Disappointment'. How can u oppose change? Let me tell u, gone are d dayz of Nas, KRS-1 and the rest. Tins must change and here is d change!!! If u don't like it, u can come and kiss ma ass. Omo make i tell u, u nor go fit compare the success diz southside rappers are making wif doz of d old skool dudes. Take a look at T.I, Jeezy, Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, Souja Boy, Plies, Richboy, etc. Dem 2much ohh!!! Southside, More money more blings.
Re: Hip Hop Is Not Dead After All! by mamagee6(f): 5:29pm On Sep 05, 2009
*sighs*

(1) (Reply)

South Africa 2010 World Cup Theme Song / Lord Of Ajasa Is Better Than Mode 9 / New Video;ayzee Yo(ebamiyo) Ft Terry G

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.