Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,162 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

Lassa Fever: At A Glance! (by: Drkelshow) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lassa Fever: At A Glance! (by: Drkelshow) (466 Views)

Lassa Fever: 9 Die In Ondo, 36 Cases Recorded / Lassa Fever Kills Two In Asaba FMC / What To Know And How To Protect Yourself And Our Community From Lassa Fever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lassa Fever: At A Glance! (by: Drkelshow) by kizydafizy(m): 5:13pm On Jan 18, 2016
January 18, 2016
I guess i should have done this before now, call me #lastma, but my dear, it is not easy mixing business/work and blogging….. sorry i am late, thanks for understanding.

2016 has been eventful, notably (at least to me) was the amazing Alibaba Concert emerging with Comedian Dee One as winner of the spontaneity competition; Then Bovi”s Towel stunt on stage then the very controversial one between Olamide and Don jazzy which ended well, thank God (wonder how i know all of this? well, Doctor no mean say i no dey updated)

Then along came Lassa Fever.

Titbits you should know about Lassa Fever.

It is a highly fatal infectious disease caused by Lassa Virus. The multimammate rat (Mastomys natalensis) is the reservoir host of Lassa fever.

Case fatality rate varies from as low as 1%-25% to as high as 50%. The death rates are particularly high for women in the third trimester of pregnancy and for fetuses, about 95% of which die in the uterus of infected pregnant mothers.

Cases have been reported in some states in Nigeria in January 2016 which includes Bauchi, Kano, Nassarawa, Niger, Rivers and Taraba. The First Case of Lassa Fever was confirmed in Lagos State in LUTH (Lagos university Teaching Hospital) just a few days ago.

How does one contract the infection?

Ingestion of food contaminated by Lassa virus

contact with body fluid, faeces or blood infected persons

through broken skin or mucous membranes that are directly exposed to infectious material

contaminated medical equipment

sexual transmission ( this has not being clearly established)

inhalation of tiny particles of infectious material (aerosol)

How do you know someone has this infection?

High grade fever

headaches

generalized body pain

sore throat

cough

malaise

vomiting

Bleeding from the eyes, ears and nose, bleeding mouth and rectum

Eye swelling, swelling of the genitals and rashes all over the body that often contain blood.

What are the possible complications?

Coma

Shock

Death.

when to suspect that someone might have this infection

Acutely ill person with the above named symptoms

someone who has been recently treated for malaria or upper respiratory tract infections without improvement (cough, cold,sore throat, etc)

history of travel to affected regions

contact with some with Lassa fever

Is there any available treatment for Lassa fever?

Early and aggressive treatment with Ribavirin, fatality rates are continuing to decline. After extensive testing, early administration of Ribavirin was determined to be critical to success but the cost of the drug is still very high for many of those in West African states. Alternatively, fluid replacement, blood transfusion, and fighting hypotension [Low blood pressure] are usually required. Intravenous interferon therapy has also been used.

How can one prevent contracting Lassa Fever?

Standard infection prevention and control policies amongst medical personnels viz washing of hands regularly, use of personal protection equipment (gloves and gowns), use of face shield, medical mask and googles,long sleeved gowns and gloves

Getting rid of rodents from your environment

proper storage of grains and other food stuffs in rodent proof containers (tightly covered plastic containers)

Avoid contact between rats and human beings.

Food manufacturers and handlers should not spread food where rats can have access to it. Emphasis on garri. It is advocated that soaking of garri should be suspended except garri from a reliable source, preferably those properly processed and packaged in Satchets.

Fellow Nigerians, we need to be vigilant. Any suspected case should be reported to any health care closest to you.

For more information, contact the Directorate of Disease Control, Lagos State Ministry of Health on 08037170614, 08023169485.

Caring is sharing. Kindly drop comments below and feel free to share this post. Thank You.

http://thedrkelshow.com/our-blog/2016/1/18/what-you-should-know-about-lassa-fever-and-prevention
Re: Lassa Fever: At A Glance! (by: Drkelshow) by joe17: 5:15pm On Jan 18, 2016
Nice job bro

1 Like

Re: Lassa Fever: At A Glance! (by: Drkelshow) by kizydafizy(m): 6:13pm On Jan 18, 2016
joe17:
Nice job bro

Thanks boss

(1) (Reply)

Prostrate Treatment / The Things You Need To Know About Sickle Cell Disease / Acna And Pimples On The Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.