Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities (5565 Views)

Senate Screening Of Khadija Bukar Abba Ibrahim Was A Shame, Don't You Think? / Imo Courts, Assembly Complex Shut As Workers Begin Indefinite Strike / Osun Workers Declares Indefinite Strike Over Unpaid Salarie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by naijasaba(m): 10:08am On Jun 23, 2009
Im suppose to round up my program
next year,with the situation on ground
only God can decide what will happen
and I pray for God intervention because
this is geting out of hand.

what about you?are you
affected too?
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by FBS: 10:11am On Jun 23, 2009
Oh no!!! NOT AGAIN!!! Is this all over Nigeria?  shocked
I Thank God for helping me and not to have to deal with something like this. Damn frustrating.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by kshow1(m): 10:35am On Jun 23, 2009
@ poster: Is ASUU on strike ?
Oh my God what is hapenning again.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by kokoA(m): 11:11am On Jun 23, 2009
Nigeria is almost collapsing under yara dull dua. God help us
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by tpiah: 12:35pm On Jun 23, 2009
hasnt this been a yearly event since time immemorial? Nigerians and saboteurism.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by Epiphany(m): 1:53pm On Jun 23, 2009
It is a pity that this is still happening, but maybe you should 'live' with it.

I left University 10 years ago and this is how it went - in my first year 1993, there was an indefinate that went on for 6 months. In my second year, 1994/95, there was another 6 month strike. In my 4th year, there was an 8month strike. In my final year, there was a students riot that caused us to vacate the school for about 4 months.

There were other minor strikes in-between all these, e.g. there was a solidarity 3 month strike somewhere in 'solidarity' for those Ilorin lecturers that were sacked. There were the June 12 strikes too and so on and so forth.

I am sorry that this is happening, i really am. But most of us who are out of the Nigerian universities passed through it. Unfortunately, ASUU strikes are slowly becoming as predictable as the 'no-power' situation of NEPA and 'no-fuel' situation of NNPC. We only hope that things turn out alright for all.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by Nezed(f): 4:29pm On Jun 23, 2009
This is actually sad,
While i was still at the university in Nigeria, i encountered about four strikes: ASUU strikes, cultism strike, salary increment strike, solidarity for sacked Uni-Illorin lecturers strike, etc.
The situation is pathetic and though i may be out of the university, i have a younger brother in the university back in Nigeria and so, ASUU still affects me.
You can imagine down here in the UK and in the U.S, we have 21, 22, 23 year olds applying for varying masters degree programme, whereas in nigeria at that age you are still battling with strikes in secondary school(this is the worst of it all- pri and sec skools going on strike) and wen u finally get into the university, the same story continues!
Then u keep faith and try to graduate only for job vacancies to specify-not more than 25/26years old and a 2-1. How does one make a 2-1 and remain less than 26yrs in this crisis and inceasant strikes conditions? not to mention the poor state of our educational facilities. What a nerve!

what does the the hapless graduate do? he goes and falsifies his age, bribes some officials/staffs and gets a job, next he keeps rubbing palms until he gets to the top and then he begins to except such acts of greasing his palms from new graduates/subordinates(afterall, he greased some other persons palms as well) and there a cycle is formed!
Bingo! it keeps going on and on and spreading to all other sectors, facets and institutions of our economy,

Is anyone still in doubt on how corruption thrives in Nigeria?
Gawd, we need a miracle!
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by texazzpete(m): 5:02pm On Jun 23, 2009
Nezed:

This is actually sad,
While i was still at the university in Nigeria, i encountered about four strikes: ASUU strikes, cultism strike, salary increment strike, solidarity for sacked Uni-Illorin lecturers strike, etc.
The situation is pathetic and though i may be out of the university, i have a younger brother in the university back in Nigeria and so, ASUU still affects me.
You can imagine down here in the UK and in the U.S, we have 21, 22, 23 year olds applying for varying masters degree programme, whereas in nigeria at that age you are still battling with strikes in secondary school(this is the worst of it all- pri and sec skools going on strike) and wen u finally get into the university, the same story continues!
Then u keep faith and try to graduate only for job vacancies to specify-not more than 25/26years old and a 2-1. How does one make a 2-1 and remain less than 26yrs in this crisis and inceasant strikes conditions? not to mention the poor state of our educational facilities. What a nerve!

what does the the hapless graduate do? he goes and falsifies his age, bribes some officials/staffs and gets a job, next he keeps rubbing palms until he gets to the top and then he begins to except such acts of greasing his palms from new graduates/subordinates(afterall, he greased some other persons palms as well) and there a cycle is formed!
Bingo! it keeps going on and on and spreading to all other sectors, facets and institutions of our economy,

Is anyone still in doubt on how corruption thrives in Nigeria?
Gawd, we need a miracle!

Yeah right.

How many vacancies have you seen demanding for less than 25/26 years of age? And what's the talk about 2.1, as if one tends to spend more time in school obtaining a 2.1.

Also, if you enter a nigerian Uni at 18 years of age, even with incessant strikes you should get out in 6 years max, except if you're reading medicine.

It's never really a good idea to stretch the truth just to make a point.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by ifyalways(f): 5:06pm On Jun 23, 2009
Is ASUU actually on strike again?
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by blacksta(m): 5:08pm On Jun 23, 2009
If an educational establishment cannot churn out right candidates at the right time that means society will tagged as being failed
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by Nezed(f): 5:18pm On Jun 23, 2009
@texazzpete:
Did u just say stretch the truth?
Am seriously hoping u are in Nigeria, cos i nid u to do some research.
1. Apply for KPMG or PWC or NBC and pls come back and tell us the criteria,
2. with the strikes in secondary and primary skool, who enters Uni at 18yrs?
3. FYI, medicine is still a course, innit?

Still waiting for your research findings,
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by Nezed(f): 5:28pm On Jun 23, 2009
@blacksta:
You can say that again! Very apt!

@texazzpete:
if you enter a nigerian Uni at 18 years of age

who told you the official or normal age for entering University is 18yrs?
Back in the days, without the strikes, it used to be 16yrs(at 10yrs/11yrs, you should be in J.ss 1) and there are 15yrs in Uni for those who jumped primary six(6) as well as those with 'double promotions' and 'skipped' certain grades or classes.
Nigeria needs to move forward, not backward,
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by imhomoh(m): 5:33pm On Jun 23, 2009
At this stage we don’t need to blame the lecturers or ASSU for going on strike, rather those to blame are the government, those in government office like the House of Assembly or the Ministers are being paid nothing less then a million naira.

But they have forgotten that the knowledge’s they got so as to be in the position in which they are where given and taught to them by these lectures and professors in the Universities around in the country.

In the US and EU, they don’t play with the salaries and things that conscience the teacher and lecturers over there cos they know without these people they countries development is nothing to write home about.
So all we just have to do as students is to support ASSU to fight for their right rather then complain about it.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by imhomoh(m): 5:39pm On Jun 23, 2009
How I wish we all (the students) can just come out with one mind and protest about the way government are treating our lecturers. We just need one mind and heart like those in [b]IRAN and work up to the House of Assembly at Abuja with one heart in support to the strike they have undertook.[/b]
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by naijasaba(m): 5:55pm On Jun 23, 2009
I agree with you
imhomoh,that is
the best solution
to all these messssssssssss
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by ROBOCOB(m): 6:46pm On Jun 23, 2009
This strike affects neither the government nor ASUU. I pity the NIgerian Students. I was once a victim of 13 months strike in Nigeria when i was in school
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by texazzpete(m): 7:38pm On Jun 23, 2009
Nezed:

@texazzpete:
Did u just say stretch the truth?
Am seriously hoping u are in Nigeria, cos i nid u to do some research.
1. Apply for KPMG or PWC or NBC and pls come back and tell us the criteria,
2. with the strikes in secondary and primary skool, who enters Uni at 18yrs?
3. FYI, medicine is still a course, innit?

Still waiting for your research findings,

1. I can only speak of my own experiences when i was job hunting some years back, and i know that in most cases 27 - 30 years was the upper limit. Banks are the largest employers of Nigerian youths, how many banks do you know that use 25/26 as the upper limit? It's silly to use a niche example to generalize.

2. i'm sorry, but how many strikes occur in Secondary and Primary school, and for how long? Most people now enter uni at 16 - 17 years (except they've repeatedly failed the JAMB or post UME hurdle). 18 or 19 is stretching it, if the truth be told.

3. I excluded medicine because they are almost certainly immune from any age limits. No employer of labour for doctors will set any upper limit less than 30+ years. I should have thought that would be fairly obvious to anyone.

Nezed:

who told you the official or normal age for entering University is 18yrs?
Back in the days, without the strikes, it used to be 16yrs(at 10yrs/11yrs, you should be in J.ss 1) and there are 15yrs in Uni for those who jumped primary six(6) as well as those with 'double promotions' and 'skipped' certain grades or classes.
Nigeria needs to move forward, not backward,

When did i state that the official or normal age of entering Uni is 18 years? I merely used a worst case scenario to prove the lie in your argument.
You end up deflating your own argument. if you enter Uni at 16 years of age, even in the worst case scenario of 2 years of strike you'd still graduate from a 5 year course in 6-7 years. And that's younger than your Phantom 26 year cut-off.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by dnex(m): 8:11pm On Jun 23, 2009
ASUU is the same thing as MEND. Just take away the guns.

All they want is money in their bank accounts, yet they will not ask it. They will put student welfare as their gamble and continue to truncate and stagnate the students' future.

Over the years, ASUU has been striking, all they concessions the Federal Government made has been used to give themselves pay rise. Let these private universities reach the level the government universities are, that is when ASUU will shed tears.

They don't know that the ultimate end of government's deregulation of the educational sector would be to privatise all the public universities. Let ASUU continue to strike till when majority of Nigerian students are in private schools. That is when they will know what strike is.

They will strike that their salaries are meagre, they will strike that their incompetent colleagues were sacked, they will strike that while they were on 3 months strike they weren't paid salaries (as if they should be), they will strike that they will soon strike, they will strike after they finish from a strike.

Abeg ASUU should just buy guns for their members and hold the government to ransom the way they would really love to. They should start killing students if their demands are not met. Afterall, even know they don't know, but they're killing the students starting from their spirit.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by texazzpete(m): 10:28pm On Jun 23, 2009
dnex:

ASUU is the same thing as MEND. Just take away the guns.

All they want is money in their bank accounts, yet they will not ask it. They will put student welfare as their gamble and continue to truncate and stagnate the students' future.

Over the years, ASUU has been striking, all they concessions the Federal Government made has been used to give themselves pay rise. Let these private universities reach the level the government universities are, that is when ASUU will shed tears.

They don't know that the ultimate end of government's deregulation of the educational sector would be to privatise all the public universities. Let ASUU continue to strike till when majority of Nigerian students are in private schools. That is when they will know what strike is.

They will strike that their salaries are meagre, they will strike that their incompetent colleagues were sacked, they will strike that while they were on 3 months strike they weren't paid salaries (as if they should be), they will strike that they will soon strike, they will strike after they finish from a strike.

Abeg ASUU should just buy guns for their members and hold the government to ransom the way they would really love to. They should start killing students if their demands are not met. Afterall, even know they don't know, but they're killing the students starting from their spirit.

It's cowards like you that have made Nigeria the mess it is today. You aren't even aware of the reason ASUU is going on strike, yet you're complaining. Where did you get the idea that the Government fulfils their end of the bargain in any negotiated settlement with ASUU? Every single time there's an agreement, the Government reneges on it. We've seen this happen over and over again, not only in the Academic sector but even in the medical services sector.
ASUU has consistently fought to improve not only the conditions of service of university lecturers, but also the lot of students in Nigeria. They've fought tooth and nail for an increase in the budget set aside for education to benefit all students. they've fought for better funding, for libraries, for computers, for better equipment. Everytime this fight is fought, they've been constantly undermined by Nigerians like yourself who are too myopic to see the big picture and too cowardly to place the blame on the more difficult target: the federal government. Every time they go on strike to attempt to force the Government to see reason, we get the same series of angry looking parents trotted out on NTA news to shower abuse on the lecturers. Are we in such a hurry to get a degree -any degree - that we happily overlook the fact that the quality of said education is nose-diving? Do we not feel shame that MEchanical Engr departments lack functioning lathe machines, that Medical schools lack relevant equipment, that computer science graduates from many universities are still learning FORTRAN up to 300L for lack of money to retain good teaching talent?
The reason for this strike is clear. An agreement was reached in the past, signed by a duly appointed rep for the Government (with the Government's consent) and yet no implementation after how many months and years of waiting.
Blaming ASUU is the easy way out. Focus on the root cause of the problem! Let the Government for once live up to their duties and responsibilities. Let them stick to their word for once!
In 6 years ago Obasanjo kept me and my fellow final year students at home for 4 months because ASUU asked for a few billion naira to improve standard of education . This same Obasanjo who refused to hand out that amount spent N25 billion hosting the Commonwealth Head of Govt Meeting that lasted for just a few days. Where was the outrage then?
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by texazzpete(m): 10:36pm On Jun 23, 2009
dnex:

Do you really know how much these lecturers earn? Do you truly have no clue how difficult it is now to retain decent brains in the educational sector? How many brilliant graduates choose to remain behind as lecturers?

dnex:

Lol. if you knew how much the school fees of Private unis are, you'd know that the public schools will always have the majority of students.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by jidobaba(m): 11:01pm On Jun 23, 2009
dnex, you have completely lost the plot.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by davidif: 11:07pm On Jun 23, 2009
chai, o ga o.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by Epiphany(m): 11:22pm On Jun 23, 2009
@texazzpete: You are spot on with your analysis. I completely agree with it. The lecturers are not only fighting for themselves, but for the students and the future of the educational sector in Nigeria. I dont know whether it bothers people that Nigerian Universities are not even among the top schools in Africa. The mere fact that Nigerians (esp those in power) are even sending their kids to GHANA should inform us that there is a problem.
Gone are the days when Ghanaians used to run to Nigeria for jobs and education - they have their act together and are now setting the pace for us. Now, we are the ones running into Ghana for those things. I am sure they are laughing at us now.

I also feel that this is the reason why Multinational companies in Nigeria will continue recruiting and giving priority positions to people with foreign degrees. This is something i have experienced, where someone coming in with a higher degree (MSc, MBA, PhD) is giving priority over those with local degrees. Sometimes, these people do not have any work experience but are put in positions above those with local equivalent degrees and years of experience.

It all comes down to the quality of our education.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by naijasaba(m): 3:04pm On Jun 24, 2009
Epiphany:

@texazzpete: You are spot on with your analysis. I completely agree with it. The lecturers are not only fighting for themselves, but for the students and the future of the educational sector in Nigeria. I dont know whether it bothers people that Nigerian Universities are not even among the top schools in Africa. The mere fact that Nigerians (esp those in power) are even sending their kids to GHANA should inform us that there is a problem.
Gone are the days when Ghanaians used to run to Nigeria for jobs and education - they have their act together and are now setting the pace for us. Now, we are the ones running into Ghana for those things. I am sure they are laughing at us now.

I also feel that this is the reason why Multinational companies in Nigeria will continue recruiting and giving priority positions to people with foreign degrees. This is something i have experienced, where someone coming in with a higher degree (MSc, MBA, PhD) is giving priority over those with local degrees. Sometimes, these people do not have any work experience but are put in positions above those with local equivalent degrees and years of experience.

It all comes down to the quality of our education.

I AGREE with you my brother,
infact I know of one man,who live
very close to me.He sent all his
children to Ghana for studies.
But the question is when will
Nigerian students and their
precious lecturers be free from all these mess?
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by asha80(m): 3:10pm On Jun 24, 2009
naijasaba:

I AGREE with you my brother,
infact I know of one man,who live
very close to me.He sent all his
children to Ghana for studies.
But the question is when will
Nigerian students and their
precious lecturers be free from all these mess?

When nigerians become serious on what to do with nigeria.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by Epiphany(m): 3:34pm On Jun 24, 2009
asha 80:

When nigerians become serious on what to do with nigeria.

Good point. This however, may take a very very long time.

I just read in the papers that Ibori is being made an elder in PDP (One day, he will return to a position of power). Abachas son is set to contest in 2011. How can things change when we will still have the same people ruling over us? What new things do they have to offer us? When they were in power, did they give the education sector any recognition? These are the kind of questions we need to ask ourselves to give an indication of when we will be out of the wilderness.

What is even more annoying is the fact that Yar' Adua was/is an academic himself. How he cannot recognize his former colleagues by giving them what they ask for is bad, very bad. Even if he cant give them what they want, give them something close to it. It just shows us that maybe when he was a lecturer himself, he did not believe in what he was doing, i.e. he did not believe in the importance of education.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by naijasaba(m): 3:46pm On Jun 24, 2009
Epiphany:

Good point. This however, may take a very very long time.

I just read in the papers that Ibori is being made an elder in PDP (One day, he will return to a position of power). Abachas son is set to contest in 2011. How can things change when we will still have the same people ruling over us? What new things do they have to offer us? When they were in power, did they give the education sector any recognition? These are the kind of questions we need to ask ourselves to give an indication of when we will be out of the wilderness.

What is even more annoying is the fact that Yar' Adua was/is an academic himself. How he cannot recognize his former colleagues by giving them what they ask for is bad, very bad. Even if he cant give them what they want, give them something close to it. It just shows us that maybe when he was a lecturer himself, he did not believe in what he was doing, i.e. he did not believe in the importance of education.

You mean that Abacha's son is up for
presidency?wonder will never end.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm smiley smiley smiley
make una fasten una beltoooooooooo
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:55pm On Jun 24, 2009
The day will come when Private tertiary institutions will surpass publicly funded ones
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by Epiphany(m): 4:20pm On Jun 24, 2009
naijasaba:

You mean that Abacha's son is up for
presidency
?wonder will never end.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm smiley smiley smiley
make una fasten una beltoooooooooo

Nope, not for presidency. Maybe a governorship, senetorial or house of reps. Who go give am chance for presidency?
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by kokoA(m): 4:46pm On Jun 24, 2009
Well, what else can I say? You guys have said everything that needs to be said about this topic. I am a Nigerian student but for the first time am on the side of ASUU.

What kind of irresponsible governt will make an agreement and refuse to sign it ehn? Was the stupid minister asleep when the negotiations went on. Well, this is just one out of the many dumb decisions this hopelesss administration had made in recent times.

Guys, to be candid with you, I think Nigeria is better of with obasanjo than this snail of a president called Yaradull abi na yaradua. The guy is just clueless about what to do with the country and to make things worst, he decided to sorrund himself with dumb individuals like himself. Take for example, how on earth can some one like Sam Egwu be the minister of education of Nigeria? What were his acheivement as a governor of Edonyi state to warrant his appointmnent.? Nigeria is doomed with some one like yaradua. I call on every well meanng Nigerian youth to work towads 2011 elections, lets get our acts together and make sure these bunch of dumb ass, irresponsible, looting, good for nothing and failed idiots do'nt come back as our leaders. Nonsense!
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by spikedcylinder: 4:53pm On Jun 24, 2009
For as long as I can remember, ASUU goes on strike at least once a year.
Its rather sad.
Re: Indefinite Strike,what A Shame To Nigerian Universities by philip0906(m): 4:55pm On Jun 24, 2009
Nigeria is doomed with some one like yaradua. I call on every well meanng Nigerian youth to work towads 2011 elections, lets get our acts together and make sure these bunch of dumb ass, irresponsible, looting, good for nothing and failed idiots do'nt come back as our leaders. Nonsense!
mmm na so we talk am 4 2007 but wetin happen?abegi LEFT d guy alone may hin dey rule dey go.VISION 2020 till I die WAKE.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development / Abuja CSOs Staged Peaceful Rally At PHNC HQ Over Increase In Electricity Tarif / Rochas Okorocha Declares Support For Jonathan Vow To Take Over From Him In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.