Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,140 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos (22952 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool debate third edition elimination stage: Winner 6: LASU / Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by Bluezy13(m): 12:05am On Jan 24, 2016
obiZEAL:
Good evening equitable judges, hardworking coordinators, fellow debaters and all knowledge seeking Nairalanders, I also want to send my unreserved appreciation to the creator of this forum, Mr. Seun Osewa, whose ingenuity has provided us with this platform to debate on pertinent issues surrounding our country’s development.

My Name is ObiZEAL and I am representing the noble students of UNIVERSITY OF JOS, my colleague and I will be answering the question; Is (the removal of fuel) subsidy justified in Nigeria?
Before I make known my answer, I will like to bother intellectuals following this debate with a few definitions as it concerns this debate and the Nigerian situation;
Fuel Subsidy: in the simplest terms, means the government is paying part of the cost of you purchasing a liter of petrol so that it will be affordable for you and other average Nigerians.
Secondly, justice (adjective: Justified) can be defined as the state of being fair.
With perfect understanding of the defined terms, I think it will be safe to rephrase the debate topic as thus: Is the act of government halting the reduction of fuel pump price so as to make it affordable for average Nigerians fair?
Well, my answer is No; the removal fuel subsidy is not justified in Nigeria. I will be rationalizing my position with the following points:

Firstly and simply too, the problem that led to the introduction of fuel subsidy have not been addressed, so it unjustifiable to halt the payment of fuel subsidy without addressing the problem that led to it’s inception in the first place. Fuel subsidy was introduced to Nigerians in the year 1986 and the reason was because our refineries where in a state of unrepair and could no longer produce enough fuel for our domestic consumption, the fuel subsidy was designed to last 6 months so as to give time to fix our refineries, but it have lasted for over 29 years and the refineries have still not been fixed. As at September 2015, our faulty refineries were producing a total of 6.76 million liters of petrol per day for a country which needs over 40 million liters of petrol per day, leaving the country with a deficit of about 33.34 million liters of petrol to be imported. Following the sanctity of this fact, one can authoritatively conclude that the removal of fuel subsidy will be justifiable only when Nigeria’s refineries start producing enough fuel for the daily consumption of Nigerians. I know my opponents might want to say that the money saved from the removal of fuel subsidy will be used to repair the refineries, well, I want to state succinctly that the reason why our refineries have been in a comatose state for over 27 years is because of the lack of political will and not the lack of funds.

To further fortify my position, which is to prove the unjustifiability of fuel subsidy removal, I will like to have us all look at the prospects of this action, it’s obvious to the informed that the reason why the discomfort caused by the removal of fuel subsidy in Nigeria is still latent is because of the global fall of oil price. With oil selling for about $27.67 per barrel (as at 18th of January 2016), the average Nigerian can, after much struggle, manage to squeeze out 87 Naira to buy a liter of petrol. But by the other half of this year, when the price of oil increases (as predicted by BP's CEO, Mr. Bob Dudley) the pump price of petrol will consequently increase and it will become impossible for average Nigerians to survive, this will be made so because the government have removed fuel subsidy without putting in place any palliative measures, neither have they increased the minimum wage! The second half the year, which will come with an increased fuel price, will see the cost of transportation sky rocket and the cost foodstuff increase, consequently having a multiplier effect on every aspect of our daily lives which will eventually throw the citizenry into unimaginable hardship. Surely from the above point, it is not justifiable for a government to take away the only social benefit its people gets from it (which is petrol subsidy) without providing any welfare package, palliative measures or any form of increase in salaries.

Finally, for those who may have not yet been convinced that the removal of fuel subsidy is not justified in Nigeria, I will crave your indulgence to join me in looking at this fuel subsidy issue in retrospect. The immediate past government of Nigeria in January of 2012 took an action of totally removing fuel subsidy, this actions was met with a defiant reaction by the people who demanded, and rightfully so, that the payment of fuel subsidy be continued. After a historical drag between the government and the people, a compromise was reached, which consequently saw fuel subsidy partially removed. The government promised immediate provision of palliative measures to cushion the effect of the partial removal of fuel subsidy and also promised to reinvest the funds into the economy which will provide immediate and remote benefits for the country. I'm certain that 90% of the followers of this debate will agree with me that those palliative measures never went beyond our television screens, also if those funds where ever reinvested into our economy is an issue that have been widely debated. Considering this fact; that the money gotten from the partial removal of fuel subsidy in Nigeria was unaccounted for, how does one intend to justify the total removal of fuel subsidy in Nigeria? I hope my opponent will not make the error of saying that we are in a new political dispensation, because governance as we all know, is a continuous process.
However, if the government can fix our refineries, provide welfare packages and restore the lost trust, only then can the removal of fuel subsidy be justified in Nigeria.

References
http://www.ocnus.net/artman2/publish/Editorial_10/The-Full-Story-of-Fuel-Subsidy-Crisis.shtml
http://www.nnpcgroup.com/PublicRelations/NNPCinthenews/tabid/92/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/618/Refineries-Producing-676-Million-Litres-of-Petrol-per-Day-NNPC.aspx
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2016/01/crude-oil-price-plunges-to-27-67-per-barrel
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35363066
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fue,-subsidies-should-go/215710

Paragraph 1 ( ie FIRSTLY) History of fuel subsidy is used to attack the opponents' points on diverting subsidy to refineries repair and. maintainance.
Paragraph 2 (ie from TO FURTHER...) is the same as your colleague's conclusion.
Paragraph 3 (FINALLY) deals with corruption.

Total = 2 points
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by Bluezy13(m): 12:15am On Jan 24, 2016
FINAL
Yabatech: Menzo4u ---------4 Pts Betacitizen-------•4 Pts Total-------------•8 Pts
Unijos: Noskyboy---------4 Pts Obizeal-----------•2 Pts Total-------------••6 Pts
Yabatech = 8 Points Unijos. = 6 Points
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by jayriginal: 12:27am On Jan 24, 2016
I hope I'm able to make a point without getting banned (at least the debate is over).

All my Nigerian life, I've seen very unfair debate topics. This is just one example. When I was a corner, my mates set a topic "technology; evil or useful".

What manner of fuckery is this? Some topics are so unbalanced that the winner simply carries the luck of the draw. If one of your criteria is judging based on logic, then at least the topic should be logical.

Choose a topic that is balanced please.

luxanne please.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by luxanne(f): 12:41am On Jan 24, 2016
Am deeply sorry for this delay, truly am.

Judge Z results

Team Yabatech

Menzo4u:

1. Presentation (opening, flow, paragraphs, grammar, punctuations, word count, closing,) 5

2. Logic of arguments - 4

3. Strength of facts, examples, cases. - 3

4. Persuasiveness - 3

5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject - 4

6. Rebuttals and response to questions raised by the judges and audience -5

Total = 24

Betacitizen:

1. Presentation (opening, flow, paragraphs, grammar, punctuations, word count, closing,) 4

3. Strength of facts, examples, cases. - 3

4. Persuasiveness - 4

6. Rebuttals and response to questions raised by the judges and the audience - 4

Total = 23

Team UniJos

Noskyboy:

1. Presentation (opening, flow, paragraphs, grammar, punctuations, word count, closing,) 3

3. Strength of facts, examples, cases. - 4

4. Persuasiveness - 4

6. Rebuttals and response to questions raised by the judges and the audience - 3

Total = 22

Obizeal:

1. Presentation (opening, flow, paragraphs, grammar, punctuations, word count, closing,) 4

2. Logic of arguments - 5

3. Strength of facts, examples, cases. - 5

4. Persuasiveness -4

5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject - 5

6. Rebuttals and response to questions raised by the judges and the audience - 5

Total = 28

Grand Total Scores

Yabatech: 47

Unijos: 50
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by luxanne(f): 12:51am On Jan 24, 2016
OVERALL TOTAL SCORES

Yabatech: 121

Unijos: 132

I now present to you the winner of today's debate..

The University Of Jos

Congratulations Team UniJos and to Team YabaTech, thank you for your time and resources in today's debate, it was indeed enlightening having everyone around.

We live to battle another day wink

Do have a pleasant night rest everyone

Cc:
Menzo4u
Betacitizen
Noskyboy
ObiZEAL

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by Nobody: 1:05am On Jan 24, 2016
cool
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by Pchizy: 1:07am On Jan 24, 2016
Wow! Kudos to Unijos (Josites).
Yabatech debated outstandingly too.
It was really a reasoned arguement all through.
I salute everyone,..... (((serving in Jos North)))

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by Pchizy: 1:11am On Jan 24, 2016
Tnx to d judges, tnx to d gr8 Luxanne... Tnx to d Nairalands.
Tnx to God..
Ekele diri Chukwu... egwua gara nke oma..
Oluwa ose...
Da godiya...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by Vokians(m): 5:10am On Jan 24, 2016
Good debate with sound arguement from both sides.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by Arsenate(m): 5:53am On Jan 24, 2016
Jossites. Really really proud of you.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by AbuNaasr: 6:54am On Jan 24, 2016
truly this debate is awesome!
Luxane,nice one.
Kudos to judge jarus and a very big salute to the four debaters, your level of erudition can't be disputed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by Tourshaw: 8:06am On Jan 24, 2016
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by Armynu(m): 10:54am On Jan 24, 2016
Greeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatt JOSITES....
Nice one to the debaters, you guys did a wonderful job. This debate as a whole will help widen our horizon on matters that affect our dear country Nigeria..
Menzo4u
Betacitizen
Noskyboy
ObiZEAL

Luxanne you too try....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by unitysheart(m): 4:05pm On Jan 24, 2016
I am a product of Yabatech and I know the school breed intellectuals. The debaters on both sides really did wonderfully. Kudos.

I hope the debaters who represented Yabatech will do more to develp their debating skills in the future. Naturally, the topic favors them if they had presented their analysis well, considering the economic realities facing Nigeria presently.

All the same, kudos to my alma mater and her representatives. Kudos to Unijos representatives also.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by ak4ac(m): 4:25pm On Jan 24, 2016
Dear all,
it is with wonderful and outstanding efforts the debaters have exercised, in demonstrating the level at which they understand the topic saddled them with. The two debaters have shown that FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL holds a strong string in making and marring the economy of the country.
To my view on the said TOPIC, I think the wing with the assertion that the topic is justified lacks the reasoning and motive to move and drive their points home, they misplaced the priority of the government to the citizenry vis a vis the priority of the populace to the latter. in the same vein, they tried to point out what the topic meant and how it in affecting the economy and development in all sectors. I strongly believe that, if you guys do lots of researches more on the topic, you would have come out with more convincing view that will drive us more convinced.
On the other hand, the wing that denied the justification of the topic, had to some extent proven more cogent points on the topic than the latter. They make us realised what we tend to suffer and the extent at which the hit could demoralised a low earner and everyone at large. They have stressed on the fact that if the subsidy be removed without any palliative measure at standby, the commotion that may befall the country and economy may be more disastrous than envisage by the forecasters. They make us understand that, NIGERIA as a country can survive if the subsidy should take its stance and simultaneously save money to rebuild the refineries.
Above all, both parties had given us what a debate should be perceived as. They have enlighten themselves and everyone in one way or the other, and more so, they have proven to us that indeed we are blessed with a better generation to come. I am highly moved by this development MR SEUN, more power to your ministry.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by zyzxx(m): 7:25pm On Jan 24, 2016
Kudos to you all.
Re: Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos by mooremadu(m): 8:49pm On Jan 26, 2016
[quote author=Fynestboi post=42263793]

Private Universities (don't turn up) are not turning in, the first edition we had complains as regard having polytechnics, the second edition polytechnics turned up, and now we have their full participation, hence this debate is open to all schools(tertiary) in as much as you can provide us with atleast 3 reps, you are in. Thanks. [/quote

yea right, i never saw any update. guess was out of data then. but the next one i will ensure my folks participate wholeheartedly. thanks or ur response

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Largest Solar Plant In Africa Opens In Bayero University, Kano / Water Bicycle: Frank Darko Offered Scholarship At Takoradi Technical University / DOWNLOAD THE FULL PTDF SCHOLARSHIP PAST QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS HERE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.