Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,994 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria (12100 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool debate third edition elimination stage: Winner 6: LASU / Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage Winner 1: Unijos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by fattbabakay(m): 3:23pm On Jan 22, 2016
[size=15pt]Public-Private partnership in financing infrastructure in Nigeria - arguments for and against
[/size]

Okay, I'm in and it's here again, The Nairaland Interschool Debate Competition, Elimination Round.

Moving on with the assumption that we all have an idea of what is on ground, I would love to introduce our debaters. On the supporting stance is LAUTECH and on the other side is Abu Zaria.

They will be dragging matters on the topic "Public-Private Partnership In Financing Infrastructure In Nigeria". In other words, LAUTECH will be going for the topic while Abu Zaria will be going against the subject matter.

The grand event will come up on the 24th, Sunday, Live here on Nairaland.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by fattbabakay(m): 3:24pm On Jan 22, 2016
DEBATE RULES

Kindly read.

1.) The recommended font size is the default size (size 8.) and the colour is the default colour (black).

2.) The essay should be in maximum of 1000 words.

3.) The use of SMS language and abbreviations are strictly forbidden.

4.) All materials used should be properly referenced at the end of the essay.

5.) All essays must be submitted on the stipulated date and time.

6.) Sole representatives are not allowed during the competition, both representatives must be present.

7.) All representatives are to engage in rebuttals and give answers to questions raised by the judges and the audience.

8.) Word counts should be strictly adhered to. http://www.wordcounttool.com/

9.) Mindless lifting is outrightly discouraged

10.) Defaulters will be penalized when caught

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by fattbabakay(m): 3:25pm On Jan 22, 2016
DEBATE MODALITIES

5 points to be awarded to each criteria.

1. Presentation (opening, flow, paragraphs, grammar, punctuations, word count, closing,)

2. Logic of arguments

3. Strength of facts, examples, cases.

4. Persuasiveness

5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject

6. Rebuttals and response to questions raised by the judges and the audience
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by fattbabakay(m): 3:25pm On Jan 22, 2016
Be coperative, do not derail this thread #FattBABAkay
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 11:22am On Jan 23, 2016
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3314068_img20160104211707_jpeg2d4500430d4c5e9d7a535a6f82825dff

PROCEDURES

6:55 -- Debaters(Abuklaw, Catalyst4real, largeoseni
Penplayer ) and judges(Obinoscopy, Adeaks, Naijadeyhia ) register presence

7:00 – The organizer, Fynestboi declares the debate open

7:00 - 7:30 -- Debaters post their arguments within 30 minutes, maximum word limit is 1000

7:30 – 8:30pm – Rebuttals - A debater takes on his opponent’s view, puncturing his or her points - This the debater does by quoting the said comment and then countering it with his or her own views.

8:20 – 8:40pm – Judges post questions to debaters either on what the debater has posited or revolving around the debate topic, albeit, this is not compulsory, it is acceptable for a judge not to have questions for the debaters... Judges with questions should please be specific as to which debater they are posting their questions to. E.g “Mr X, could you expatiate what you meant by subsidy? or ...., kindly give examples to your claim that the removal of fuel subsidy is justified.

8:40 – 9:00pm – Debaters respond to questions raised by judges

9:00 – 9:20pm – Two questions will be entertained from the audience i.e. viewers and this will be based on ‘fastest fingers’. After the 2 questions, other questions will be attended to after the debate or perhaps, if the debater is free during the debate to respond to them, he or she can do so, however, points will not be awarded after the 2 questions.

9:20 – 9:30pm – Debaters respond to audience questions and concludes their arguments. Debaters who were not asked any questions can still conclude his/her arguments during this time.

9:30 – 9:40pm – Judges compile their scores and mail to coordinators with a copy to Nairalandinterschooldebate@gmail.com

9:40 – 10:00pm - Coordinators announce results, after which the thread will be thrown open for regular Nairaland discussions.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 11:26am On Jan 23, 2016
I remain Fattbabakay , and am the coordinator for Team 2, with me are the officiating judges,

Obinoscopy, Adeaks, Naijadeyhia

Topic: [size=11pt][/size]Public-Private partnership in financing infrastructure in Nigeria - arguments for and against

Date: 24th January 2016

Time: 7pm

Let us now meet the schools contesting:
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 11:56am On Jan 23, 2016
[img]http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1403830_lautech-logo_jpeg06f230c7794f52b0a23c176851b1f188[/img]

Ladoke Akintola University of Technology aka Lautech. In 1987, Governor Adetunji Olurin, then the military governor of Oyo State, received to a request by the Governing Council of the Polytechnic Ibadan to establish a state university. He set up a committee that, in 1988, recommended the creation of the university. By March 13, 1990, Nigeria's federal military government accepted the state's request; the edict establishing Oyo State University of Technology was signed on April 23rd 1990. The name of the university was changed to Ladoke Akintola University of Technology after the separation of Osun State from Oyo State.

Meet her Vice Chancellor: Professor A.S. Gbadegesin.

Lautech Motto: Excellence, Integrity and Service.

Introducing to you the Lautech debaters representing their institution.

largeoseni
► Penplayer

Source: Wikipedia

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1403613_abulogo_jpeg76ff220cc807e4d2031970f376113b54
Ahmadu Bello University popularly known as ABU is a Federal Government Research University located in Zaria, Kaduna State. ABU was founded on October 4, 1962, as the University of Northern Nigeria. The University is named after the Sardauna of Sokoto, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, the first premier of Northern Nigeria. The school has a slogan that says “ABU naturally ahead of you”.

The Vice Chancellor is Professor Ibrahim Garba

Her philosophy - “The first duty of every University is the search for and the spread of knowledge and the establishment of the nation."

I give to you the ABU representatives:

Bernoulli01
► Tayebest
► Catalyst4real
► Princee7
► Abuklaw
► Hardayemmie
► Phaulzoe
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 11:56am On Jan 23, 2016
Fynestboi:

To join the munificent in ensuring the participant instigation, kindly send a mail to.. nairalandinterschooldebate@gmail.com.

Simply put, we need sponsors for the debate.

THANKS..

Sponsors

Ymodulus:

Ifyalways:

Jarus:

Jaybee3:

Amiloaded.com: Amiloaded is a blog owned by a nairalander with the nick Aminat508.

GIVEAWAYS

► A hard copy of the book "The Road to Victoria Island" authored by Mr. Jarus to the debaters of the winning school.

► A soft copy (ebook version) to be given to each debater of the second placed team.

► Best debater to be invited to JarusHub Networking Event - an avenue to meet and dine with some Lagos professionals in a top restaurant in Lagos (This meet holds on every last Saturday of every month, and the debater is free to choose the month he prefers from June to December 2016).

Courtesy: JarusHub Career Consulting
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 11:57am On Jan 23, 2016
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3314067_img20160104211653_jpeg88d52f50e23d7b60dddd47df5c78996f

Please while the submission of the essay is going on, only the contestants, coordinators, Chairman and Supermods (if need be) can post.

Pls let's comply, as defaulters might attract 3 hours ban (duration of the essay submission).

You can however comment simultaneously at the planning thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/2446965/nairaland-interschool-debate-chatroom-third/40

Thank you.

Come and witness the mother of all e-Essay Competition on the biggest Section of the biggest online forum in Africa..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 6:31pm On Jan 24, 2016
smiley
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Aminat508(f): 6:34pm On Jan 24, 2016
Yesterday was a mouth-watering performance from both team... Let see what today will pan out to be.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 6:50pm On Jan 24, 2016
Relax. I can see that we can't wait to ignite the thread with our essay, Nevertheless let follow procedure.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 6:56pm On Jan 24, 2016
6:55 -- Debaters(Abuklaw, Catalyst4real, largeoseni
Penplayer ) and judges(Obinoscopy, Adeaks, Naijadeyhia ) register presence
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Catalyst4real: 6:57pm On Jan 24, 2016
Rebooked wink
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 7:00pm On Jan 24, 2016
7:00 – The organizer, Fynestboi declares the debate open

Like yesterday we deliberated and created a platform where online intellectual relationship will abound among not only university undergraduates, but also polytechnics, college of education to put away discrimination among undergraduates, and in turn create a platform that exist beyond the internet world, and now we are here with loads of testimonies, amidst turbulent challenges, discouragement, and unfathomable storm and yet we stood/stand strong.

I am elated to welcome you all to the third chapter of "The book" Nairaland Interschool debate to the participants I appreciate the time and determination you put into this intellectual exercise, and to the Coordinators I don't know how to appreciate you I will just say I love you all, and to judges for sparing out of your busy offline schedule time to attend to us I say we are forever indebted to you sir/ma, to the audience keep energizing the participants both with your support and all, to the owner of this site, my boss Oluwaseun I say thank you.

With no much ado, I say once again welcome to the third edition of Nairaland Interschool debate Elimination stage. I hereby declare this debate open. I wish all participants Best of luck. Thanks..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jan 24, 2016
I just entered my palace and occupied my throne!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Catalyst4real: 7:01pm On Jan 24, 2016
Booked further, insurance policy wink
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 7:01pm On Jan 24, 2016
7:00 - 7:30 -- Debaters post their arguments within 30 minutes, maximum word limit is 1000

Sequel to the above Lautechspeaker speaker can you post your argument.

Penplayer
largeoseni
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by penplayer: 7:03pm On Jan 24, 2016
Public-Private partnership in financing infrastructure in Nigeria.

Good evening Ladies and gentlemen, judges, and debaters. I'm Emmanuel, representing LAUTECH which is supporting the motion for Public-Private partnership in financing infrastructure in Nigeria. Before presenting supporting facts, I will explain important phrases in the topic to acquaint every listener (which in this case are readers) to the idea in question. A Public-Private Partnership (acronym is PPP with which I'll replace that phrase) is defined in a layman's words as a collaboration or coming together of the public sector (which is the government and its arms) and the private sector -- majorly privately owned and funded companies which has no hand of the government in it. The World Bank defines it as a long-term contract between a private party and a government agency, for providing a public asset or service, in which the private party bears significant risk and management responsibility. From this definition, we will then move forward to discussing the importance of PPP and how it can help Nigeria in ensuring infrastructural development.

Nigeria is currently listed as a developing country and requires a lot of infrastructures to ensure that its citizens have access to a quality lifestyle. When PPP gets its finance majorly from the private sector, it takes away a lot of burden off the government and makes sure a lot is done within a short time frame. It is not news that the available infrastructures in Nigeria are old, overused, poorly maintained and definitely not sufficient to meet the needs of her citizens. PPP ensures improvement in the quality and quantity of basic infrastructure such as the provision of water and its treatment, energy supply and transportation. In addition the process can be widely applied to a variety of public services such as hospitals, schools, prisons and government accommodation.

Furthermore, Nigeria has over time been chastised with mind-boggling corruption issues where government funds budgeted for a cause get diverted into private coffers. PPP reduces such cases since profit can only be gotten when the investment performs according contractual obligations. Planned infrastructures can become a reality when they understand that the project has to work before gains are made. "The partnership of the public and private sector and the accountability that is demanded from investors and lenders inevitably promotes transparency and good governance." It also brings about swift progress and efficient dedication to projects. Logically, no one will intentionally bite his own heel especially when a lot is at stake. Transparent execution will ensure more projects are achieved for the benefit of citizens.

Also, PPP saves taxpayers unnecessary burdens in the construction of infrastructures. Since government funds come majorly from taxpayers, a partnership with the private entities ensures that taxpayers are saved from the strain of having to pay higher taxes to finance infrastructural development in Nigeria. The infrastructural needs of this country is way beyond what the government can finance, and this is why it sometimes have to resort to borrowing to balance up where it is lacking. Such a partnership will ensure that the nation's inclination to borrowing and debt accumulation is comfortably reduced since in the long run, debts are serviced by taxpayer's money.

Another argument for PPP is that it gives opportunities to expand local private companies by partnering with international firms to bring about infrastructural development. Nigeria alone can not solve her problems and requires support in form of resources and expertise from more experienced countries to solve the problems. Through joint partnership, local and international firms can work together to achieve and make gains. It also allows local companies to prove their capabilities in handling projects which in long run improves their image and help get more contracts. With such, it will also give a boost to industries associated with infrastructural developmentsuch as construction, equipment, support services.

Importantly, PPP should be adopted because the government is removed from the risk of failure and because its adoption in other countries has brought significant development. "Let us take a comparative example of India’s Vadodara- Halol and Ahmedabad-Mahesana road project undertaken to widen and strengthen the existing state highways to toll roads in Gujarat. It was the first PPP based project in India and according to their government, it saved time and money.
The Special Purpose Vehicle created, Gujarat Road and Infrastructure Company Limited completed construction in September 1999, four years after a MOU was signed; operations began in 2000 for an initial 30 year period. Construction was done in approximately one and a half years within the time allocated. Total project cost was less than budgeted with savings of Rs 140,000,000.00 or approximately $2,228,240.00 (at current exchange rate)."

From all the aforementioned arguments, it will be safe to say that a Public-Private Partnership in financing infrastructure in Nigeria will be profitable while avoiding a sideline of little hitches such partnerships are liable to pose. Thank you.

References
1. venturesafrica.com/can-public-private-partnerships-work-nigeria/
2. ppp.worldbank.org/public-private-partnership/overview/ppp-objectives
3. www.ipfa.org/industry-resources/benefits/

14 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 7:05pm On Jan 24, 2016
Penplayer your team mate?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Catalyst4real: 7:07pm On Jan 24, 2016
Fynestboi, do we have to wait for Lautech to finish posting?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 7:08pm On Jan 24, 2016
Catalyst4real:
Fynestboi, do we have to wait for Lautech to finish posting?

Yes sir, they have only 15mins to do that... Just wait for further instruction.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by penplayer: 7:08pm On Jan 24, 2016
Fynestboi:
Penplayer your team mate?
I'm trying to reach him now
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 7:09pm On Jan 24, 2016
penplayer:

I'm trying to reach him now

7mins left.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 7:14pm On Jan 24, 2016

Sequel to the above ABU ZARIA speaker can you post your argument.

Abuklaw
Catalyst4real

7:15-7:30.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Abuklaw(m): 7:15pm On Jan 24, 2016
Public-private partnership: dead on arrival.
I am using this moment to recognize the indispensable personalities behind the successful organization of this intellectual tussle.
The C.E.O of Nairaland, Mr. Seun Osewa, the ever-reliable coordinators of this debate, untiring and ever-sagacious panel of judges, enlightened co-debaters, perspicacious members of Nairaland intelligentsia.

My moniker is abuklaw, representing the prestigious Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. Today, I shall eruditely discuss the reasons why Nigeria should not adopt Public-Private Partnership (PPP) to finance her infrastructure development.

Before I delve into the subject matter, it is imperative to expound some key terms in the topic of discussion. The terms “public-private partnership” and “infrastructure” need to be diligently explained to aid comprehension of this topic.

Public-private partnership according to Wikipedia is “a government service or private business venture that is funded and operated through partnership of government and one or more private sector companies.”

Infrastructure on the other hand refers to the physical component of interrelated systems providing commodities and services essential to enable, sustain, or enhance societal living conditions. Infrastructure includes pliable roads, bridges, tunnels, water supply, electrical grids, houses, educational institutions etc built by the government to enhance the living condition of its citizens.

PPP as generally called, has different operation mode, of which the most prominent is “Design, Build, Operate and Transfer (DBOT).” This implies that private companies enter concession agreement to design, build, and operate infrastructures on behalf of the public sector for a certain period of time after which it will be transferred to the government.

The question is; should public-private partnership be adopted in financing the development or construction of the above mentioned infrastructure? The answer is NO! I know you will ask Why?

The foundation they say is paramount to the successful erection of a quality building. Inadequate knowledge of the rules guiding concession agreement defeats the good intention of adopting PPP. Nigerian government most time imitate successful initiatives from the international scene without carefully studying the intricacies involve in such initiative. The ignorance of rules and regulations, ethics and practices involve in PPP is an enough reason for Nigerians to campaign against its adoption because the taxpayers are always at the receiving end of government’s inadequacies.

Contrary to the opinion that Government transfer risk and cost of providing infrastructure to the private sector through PPP. Hence, reducing cost incurred by the public sector in managing a country. It is noteworthy that risk and cost can never be completely transferred because government will always be ultimately accountable for delivery public services and infrastructure. Power players in the government should know that incompetency on the part of private partners will generate backlash. A typical example of this was the reaction directed to the then Federal Government of Nigeria in 2013 on the failed concession agreement signed between the federal ministry of works and Bi-Courtney Highway service.

Another important point is the politicization of concessions. The fact that corruption is entrenched in our political system is another reason why I am saying “NO” to PPP. Many people were surprised that bi-Courtney got the concession to build Lagos/ Ibadan expressway considering its problem and controversy with Murtala Muhammad Airport terminal 2 concession. It is a known fact that someone only needs to be “connected” to get concessions agreement. Thus, the vicious circle of corruption continues. From the tendering, bidding and negotiation process to the selection of companies to participate in concession’s agreement, it is corruption all through. Why then should any rational Nigerian have hope in the ability of PPP to deliver state of the art infrastructures?

Furthermore, poor evaluation of the outcome of PPP agreement on the part of Nigerian government will continue to drag this initiative in the mud. The government of Nigeria in August 2013 entered a PPP agreement aimed at providing affordable, low cost housing for low income and no income earners. This initiative was a nice trend to uplifts the social wellbeing of the targeted groups. But ironically, till date glaring evidence shows that people for whom the scheme was targeted have ended up being totally disenfranchised from the scheme. A supposed development for low income group ended up in the hand of high income and ultra-rich people in Nigeria. The public sector should have thoroughly evaluate the outcome of such agreement in other to silent the complaints of developers on high cost of building materials and disbursement of funds from mortgage and commercial banks as the reasons behind the high cost housing units. This is another reason why pro-low income earners will never support PPP as solution to Nigeria’s infrastructure problem, particularly housing.

In conclusion, it is noteworthy, that private companies participating in PPP have the ultimate objective of “profit.” Thus, if they are not adequately monitored and their operation tracked diligently by the government, they will do everything to maximize profit at the detriment of the taxpayers. Sadly, the Nigerian government has poor record of enforcing performance on her partners entrusted with the responsibility of infrastructural development.

Until all the glaring weaknesses of the government as discussed above are taken care of, I will continue to debate anywhere that PPP is not meant for Nigeria, that it is an initiative that is dead on arrival.

REFRENCES
Nkasiobi oluikpe. PPP: a failed initiative at affordable housing. Retrieved at www.dailyindependentnig.com/2015/07/ppp-failed-initiative-affordable-housing/

Admin (2012). A failed romance: why public private partnerships do not work in Nigeria. Retrieved at www.icirnigeria.org/a-failed-romance-why-public-private-partnerships-do-not-work-in-nigeria/

www.wikipedia.org

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Fynestboi: 7:19pm On Jan 24, 2016
ABU ZARIA your time to post your argument, penplayer you team mate can still post, after 7:30pm no more submission will be accepted again.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:Elimination stage -Winner 2: Abu Zaria by Catalyst4real: 7:20pm On Jan 24, 2016
Name: Catalyst4real

School: Ahmadu Bello University

Stance: Against

A public-private partnership(PPP) is a contract between government and private sectors, under which, A private company finances, builds and operates some elements of a public service and in return, the private company gets paid over a number of years, either through charges paid by users(Known as concessions) or by payments from the public authorities or both.

I am in solemn recognition of the exquisite judges, my opponents and the uncompromising viewers

The propelling fuel of every private institution, infrastructure or company is profit making and profit maximization continuously.
And most times the profit margin of these private sectors is in no way favourable to the peasants and the insolvent masses.

Look around you; How many people can afford private hospitals? How many parents can afford to send their children to very expensive private universities, like Igbinideon, Bingham, Covenant and the likes? Only a handful.

The first and foremost objective of any private corporation is to maximize profit, it is not to help make the country a better place, it is not to supply the economy with valuable infrastructures, neither is it to make life easier for the common man, it is always about making profit at all cost

The pressure bounces back to public institutions, haven't you noticed?

There are always too many patients in public hospitals, too many university applicants striving to fit into the very meagre available slots in public universities.

Is that really what we want to promote in Nigeria?

Poverty haunts about 91.4% of Nigerians, 52.7% of Nigerians can barely feed themselves.

These high interest rates incurred by the private institutions, do not favor the masses; And indeed, the poor are getting poorer.

Are the Private sectors to be blamed for their high interest rates, which is totally unfavorable to the masses? No

Financial crisis has made it difficult for private companies to raise finance without raising the interest rates to monstrous heights.

Banks are also unwilling to offer long term loans to private corporations, In fact by mid 2009, Companies had to pay loan interest rates, 4 percent higher than governments'.

Why not leave the infrastructural developments in the hands of the government then?

One would expect that in the Public-private partnership, the private sectors help in developing a nation, thereby easing the government, while the government on the other hand, will have more time to face other national issues and less burdens to deal with.

But that is never the real situation, It is just a false hope that has meandered deeply into the hearts of the gullible.

Using the past as reference, the private corporations have a history of not meeting their end of the bargain.

Which brings us to the primary Demerit; The very issue of corruption.

Pubic-Private partnership makes up one of the most corrupt alliance in the global economy.

A certain private company in the U.S, known as Ernon, ransacked and embezzled money from the U.S government by lying about it's assets and exaggerating the estimated demand, this certain company embezzled money for years without being noticed.

This is a very common practice, and it is ongoing.

Some Private companies in charge of road construction, collect massive revenue from the government and what do they do with it?

They use only a fraction of the sum in constructing fallible roads with cheap, not-up-to-standard materials, roads with a lifespan of 6 months, instead of the standard, which is 10 years.

Then the pot holes creep in, the accidents multiply and the mortality rate gyrates

Meanwhile the greater fraction of the money gotten from the contract is channeled to satisfy their greed.

Nigeria has suffered from corruption in years past, and is still suffering from it. Quenching the flames of corruption is never an easy task, but that doesn't mean we should create more rooms for it.

Public-private partnership is definitely not the way forward for Nigeria.

Are you aware that Public-private partnership doesn't in any way generate revenue? It is not a technique to diversify Nigeria's economy.

As a matter of fact, instead of generating revenue, the private sectors play a great role in consuming the government's revenue as well as the masses.

- The government pays for taxes of these private sectors

- The private sectors still generates revenue from public consumers

- The government pays a percentage cost of running the service of these private sectors

And what does the government, financially gets in return, Nothing!

The private-public partnership may have a few unnoticed advantages, but the gap between the advantage and the disadvantage is too wide.

And I am firmly without any doubt, against the full implementation of this alliance in Nigeria.

A lot of developed countries have abandoned this system of private-public partnership due to it's fatal Demerits and embraced the new system of public-public partnership.

A fool learns from his own experience, but a wise man, learns from other people's experience.

Why should a struggling country like Nigeria be open to an economy system, soon to be exiled?

Reference
>Why Public-Private partnership don't work. By David Hall, PSIRU

( http://www.world-psi.org/sites/default/files/rapport_eng_56pages_a4_lr.pdf)

>Corruption, lies and secrets in the Public-private partnership, By Rosa Pavanelli

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

O.A.U. Pre-degree 2012/2013 admissions(Latest information-Entrance Exam date) / Help! I Need Unilag Postal Address. / How Possible Is It To Transfer From One Poly To Another

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.