Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,655 members, 7,958,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 08:38 AM

The Burden Of Child Rearing By Single Mothers - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Burden Of Child Rearing By Single Mothers (2040 Views)

Single Mothers Are Generally Losers, They Raise Criminals & Sluts - Kenyan Lad / Why Do We Have A Lot Of Single Mothers? / 11-Year-Old Boy Maltreated By Stepmum: See The Highest Order Of Child Abuse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Burden Of Child Rearing By Single Mothers by Agbajegorite: 5:42pm On Jan 19, 2016
Single parent may be defined as a family of single mother or father with dependent children living within the same household. Traditional nuclear setting where the responsibilities of child rearing fall on both parents i.e. father and mother, is gradually given way to single parents. The change in trend may be as a result of but not limited to loss of husband, separation of spouses, out-of-wedlock pregnancy, unintended pregnancy, broken relationship, or divorce. Research shows that there are about 12 million single parent families in U. S. out which more than 83% were headed by single mothers (U.S. Census Bureau, 2014). In UK, single mothers constitute over 90% (Wikipedia, 2011). In Nigeria, 35% of children between ages 0-14 live in single-parent families, with large majority of these single-parent families headed by women (Ezekiel, 2015).

CLICK THE FOLLOWING LINK TO VIEW THE FULL ARTICLE:

http://parentingchildcare..com/2016/01/the-burden-of-child-rearing-by-single.html
Re: The Burden Of Child Rearing By Single Mothers by tpiar: 6:29pm On Jan 19, 2016
post it here, thanks.
Re: The Burden Of Child Rearing By Single Mothers by 2good(m): 7:48pm On Jan 19, 2016
The Nigerian stat is a lie. Where are all the children living in single parent home?
Re: The Burden Of Child Rearing By Single Mothers by Agbajegorite: 3:14am On Jan 20, 2016
2good:
The Nigerian stat is a lie. Where are all the children living in single parent home?

we need to ask ourselves where the children of broken home, displaced as a result of violence, born out of wedlock, unwanted pregnancy, death of parents... are staying? the information is within and around us if only we care to know. please, check for the veracity of facts before condemnation.
Re: The Burden Of Child Rearing By Single Mothers by 2good(m): 6:30am On Jan 20, 2016
Agbajegorite:

we need to ask ourselves where the children of broken home, displaced as a result of violence, born out of wedlock, unwanted pregnancy, death of parents... are staying? the information is within and around us if only we care to know. please, check for the veracity of facts before condemnation.

so you mean 35 out of every 100 children are born into single parent home? I am a very objective person, so when I see fictitious numbers like you quoted, I simply translate them into reality of the world we live in. Look at everybody you know directly in all the areas you have lived in Nigeria and ask yourself whether 7 out of every 20 children between the age of 1-14 live in single parent.
The number is 100% bogus atleast in Nigeria society I know, where we don't even have any reasonable statistics that are up to date. Even poor people with children don't just separate like that. Maybe if you were specific about Borno state, I might reason with you but for Nigeria as a whole, it is completely false even when the boko haram problem is factored in.
So there is no point looking for single parent children that doesn't exist!
Re: The Burden Of Child Rearing By Single Mothers by Agbajegorite: 12:05pm On Jan 20, 2016
2good:

so you mean 35 out of every 100 children are born into single parent home? I am a very objective person, so when I see fictitious numbers like you quoted, I simply translate them into reality of the world we live in. Look at everybody you know directly in all the areas you have lived in Nigeria and ask yourself whether 7 out of every 20 children between the age of 1-14 live in single parent.
The number is 100% bogus atleast in Nigeria society I know, where we don't even have any reasonable statistics that are up to date. Even poor people with children don't just separate like that. Maybe if you were specific about Borno state, I might reason with you but for Nigeria as a whole, it is completely false even when the boko haram problem is factored in.
So there is no point looking for single parent children that doesn't exist!

they may not be born into a single parent home. many may fall victim of circumstances and found themselves in single parent homes. like i said, incidences such as loss of husband/wife, out of wedlock pregnancy, divorce... are examples of such circumstances. i can lay my hands on many of such real cases around me. objectively, in Nigeria, there is no limitation to the number of children a family can have. take some time and visit some of our court rooms, or research the rate / numbers of divorce cases in Nigeria, it is unimaginable the number of marriage that are dissolved! if a family of 4, 6, 10 or 18 children, as the case may be (which is very possible), separates, you could imagine the implication of this! how many cases of these are you privileged of? how many incidence that can lead to single parent are you aware of? and can you imagine the numbers of children that could, as a result, fall victim? the statistic may not be far from truth, it may not be exact.

(1) (Reply)

Top 12 Gifts For Your Beautiful Wife - Family & Event / Married And Living With AGED Parents - Advice / Share This Beautiful Unique Mug At Your Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.