Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,919 members, 7,821,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

The Science Behind Why Spider-man Is Too Large To Cling To Walls- Popsci - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Science Behind Why Spider-man Is Too Large To Cling To Walls- Popsci (919 Views)

See How A Spider looks Up Close / The Science Of Nature: Building A Terrarium / Science Behind Satellite Navigation Or Satnav System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Science Behind Why Spider-man Is Too Large To Cling To Walls- Popsci by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:22am On Jan 20, 2016
Yeah... Yeah... I know. But I think this makes for an interesting read. I'm not trying to be a spoilsport but I think we all have to know what "actual" science thinks about one of almost every kid's favorite super hero characters, "SPIDERMAN".

Just for the records, I still enjoy Spiderman movies *winks*. I love the crazy and almost impossible science involved. I actually love to think that there's a whole lot more to science out there that we haven't explored yet. The Einsteins, Teslas, Dandys, Newtons, Perelmans, Taos, Von Neumanns, Curies, Meitners, Maxwells, Faradays, Cooleys, Vivien Thomases, Pasteurs, Feynmans, and much more have left us with so much in science..... It's our turn to contribute. *smiles*

But for now, I feel this "spiderman-science talk" carries something interesting to note. Now the Article:

There is a reason that Spider-Man is a fictional
character. Okay, many reasons. But one of the
biggest is that he can't, in fact, climb walls like a
spider.

That's a lot to take in. It's okay. Let's all calm down,
and take a look at why.
In a paper published this week in the Proceedings of
the National Academy of Sciences, researchers found that in order for something the size of a human to grip to walls the same way that geckos and spiders do, that human would need sticky pads that covered 40 percent of its body, or nearly 80 percent of its front. Needless to say, with basically your entire body stuck to the wall, that doesn't give you much space to maneuver.

Hypothetically, a human superhero could
cling to walls and have better maneuverability if they
had very large feet, but they would have to be
enormous.

"If a human, for example, wanted to walk up a wall
the way a gecko does, we'd need impractically large
sticky feet. Our shoes would need to be a European
size 145 or a US size 114," says Walter Federle, a
zoologist from Cambridge and one of the paper's
authors.

And that's kind of what researchers are working on.
Knowing the size limits of animals capable of scaling
walls can help scientists attempt to replicate that
ability in humans. But researchers aren't relying on
some errant spider bite for their advances. They're
looking at high-tech (Hi-tech) and very sticky materials.

Previous research for DARPA showed that humans
could use gecko-like pads to climb buildings, but
their pads were much larger than a human hand or
foot, and the dry adhesive they used was much
stronger than anything produced in nature. In
addition to trying to make humans climb walls,
researchers are looking at ways for drones and
robots to climb walls as well.

It should be noted that in the Marvel universe,
Spider-Man's wall-clinging abilities, though caused by a spider bite, have absolutely nothing to do with the way real spiders cling to walls. In the first version of The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, his clinging abilities are explained away by electrostatic forces:

""Spider-Man’s exposure to the mutated spider
venom induced a mutagenic, cerebellum-wide
alteration of his engrams resulting in the
ability to mentally control the flux of inter-
atomic attraction (electrostatic force) between
molecular boundary layers. This overcomes
the outer electron shell’s normal behavior of
mutual repulsion with other outer electron
shells and permits the tremendous potential
for electron attraction to prevail. The mentally
controlled subatomic particle responsible for
this has yet to be identified. This ability to
affect the attraction between surfaces is so far
limited to Spider-Man’s body (especially
concentrated in his hands and feet) and
another object, with an upper limit of several
tons per finger. Limits to the ability seem to
be psychosomatic, and the full nature of this
ability has yet to be established.""

Later versions introduced friction as the pseudo-
science explanation for why he is able to stick to
everything. But the real reason Peter Parker can scale
walls? The writers wanted him to.

Sorry about physics, Spiderman. *smiles*

www.popsci.com/scientists-find-spider-man-too-large-to-cling-to-walls-like-spider
Re: The Science Behind Why Spider-man Is Too Large To Cling To Walls- Popsci by Collins0609(m): 1:11pm On May 05, 2018
Ok

(1) (Reply)

What Is Your Means Of Accessing Internet At Home? / Wismec Cylin Plus VS Cylin RTA Atomizer / After Electron Science, What Next?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.