Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,580 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) (1981 Views)

Five Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses. / 12 Facts You Never Knew About The Nigerian Church / William Kumuyi Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 20, 2016
During one of my private theological researches, I stumbled upon this astonishing & interesting piece. Once again proving how ingenious & creative William Shakespeare can be.
Firstly, Da Vinci left millions of people guessing what the Mona Lisa's mysterious smile is all about, then the ever savvy Egyptians applied the golden ratio in constructing monumental pyramids. Then Shakespeare decided to remind us of how much of a wordsmith he is.

Without any further ado, permit me to let you in on what the huge discovery is all about.

•William Shakespeare was summoned to add some panache & artistic touch to the English Translation of the bible, which he(William) completed in 1611. He did this at the behest of King James.

King James didn't accept that Shakespeare take credit for his work, and so William devised a way to leave his mark forever in the King James version of the bible.

As proof for this idea, proponents point to Psalm 46, where Shakespeare cannily slipped his name into a text in the Bible.

Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore will not we fear,
though the earth be removed,
and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea
though the waters thereof roar and be troubled,
though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.
Selah
There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God,
the holy place of the tabernacles of the Most High. God is in the midst of her;
she shall not be moved:
God shall help her, and that right early.
The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved:
he uttered his voice, the earth melted.
The LORD of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our refuge.
Selah
Come, behold the works of the LORD,
what desolations he hath made in the earth.
He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth;
he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder;
he burneth the chariot in the fire.
Be still, and know that I am God:
I will be exalted among the heathen,
I will be exalted in the earth.
The LORD of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our refuge

Notice how Selah was slashed? That's because the word Selah was used mainly as a musical punctuation in the book of Psalms. So overlook it in the exercise we are about to perform.

•Now, start at the word God, then count 46 words down, you will see 'Shake'
Then go to the bottom, you'll see the word refuge appear.
Start right there, count 46 words up, you will see 'spear' Voila - Shake Spear
Remember to omit the word 'selah'.

Is that a coincidence?
Well if you think so, take a look at this :-

Since Shakespeare was born in the year 1564, then he would have been 46 years old during 1610 when the finishing touches were being put on the KJV.
46 years old? 46 words?

Do you think this is just a Myth, or factual & sheer brilliance of William Shakespeare? cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 10:07am On Jan 20, 2016
Bykebyke
Sinizia
Mizmycoli
Estharfabian
Alexpissu
Luxanne
Creamish
Reyginus
Marieolae

etcetera etcetera
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 20, 2016
Lol. No, it doesn't add up. To begin with, the King James Bible was not fully translated until 1911.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 10:24am On Jan 20, 2016
ingof
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Vanityupnvanity(m): 10:25am On Jan 20, 2016
is this the new device the devil is taking or what??
besides, are you a christian?

1 Like

Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Vanityupnvanity(m): 10:25am On Jan 20, 2016
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 20, 2016
It's neither a myth nor brilliance. It's just coincidence. And I don't even think Shakespeare was responsible for the translation.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 20, 2016
Vanityupnvanity:

Lololol. The question should rather be, what are you saying?
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Laveda(f): 10:28am On Jan 20, 2016
I've come across this undecided
But I don't think its true..might be just a myth undecided
Reasons: Shakespear wouldn't contribute to the king james version since he was roman
Shakespeare isn't an anonymous person if he indeed he contributed to the King James version he would have left some mark..

There are other chapters and verses where "spear" appeared still wondering why everyone is focussed on that....
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 20, 2016
Shakespeare??..Met the lad in 1609,a funny bloke I tell ya. grin; D
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 20, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. No, it doesn't add up. To begin with, the King James Bible was not fully translated until 1911.

Did King James reign in 1911?. It had been written long time ago. Whatever was printed in 1911 was just a revised edition.

Reyginus:
It's neither a myth nor brilliance. It's just coincidence. And I don't even think Shakespeare was responsible for the translation.

You don't thnk so doesn't mean he wasn't involved. The KJV wasn't written by one person alone, & it has several versions. Shakespeare was also one of the most respected writers during the reign of King James. It's very likely he got called upon @ some point to add some touches.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 11:04am On Jan 20, 2016
Laveda:
Reasons: Shakespear wouldn't contribute to the king james version since he was roman
Shakespeare isn't an anonymous person if he indeed he contributed to the King James version he would have left some mark..

There are other chapters and verses where "spear" appeared still wondering why everyone is focussed on that....

Shakespeare was not Roman. He was English.
Did you do the 46 word count? That's not a coincidence.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by pcicero(m): 11:17am On Jan 20, 2016
Laveda:

William Shakespeare was a Roman? Smh
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by plaetton: 11:39am On Jan 20, 2016
smiley
darkenedrebel:
Bykebyke
Sinizia
Mizmycoli
Estharfabian
Alexpissu
Nubian131
Laveda
Luxanne
Creamish
Reyginus
Marieolae

etcetera etcetera

William Shakespeare, as we know him, never existed.
The man is highly suspected to have authored the Shakespearian plays and also to have verbally enriched the King James Bible was the great genius Francis Bacon.

And yes, he was an expert at using anagrams , as found in the bible, to mark his works.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by plaetton: 11:39am On Jan 20, 2016
smiley
darkenedrebel:
Bykebyke
Sinizia
Mizmycoli
Estharfabian
Alexpissu
Nubian131
Laveda
Luxanne
Creamish
Reyginus
Marieolae

etcetera etcetera

William Shakespeare, as we know him, most likely never existed.
The man is highly suspected to have authored the Shakespearian plays and also to have verbally enriched the King James Bible was the great genius Francis Bacon.

And yes, he was an expert at using anagrams , as found in the bible, to mark his works.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 20, 2016
plaetton:
smiley

I've read that too but don't believe it.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 20, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Did King James reign in 1911?. It had been written long time ago. Whatever was printed in 1911 was just a revised edition.

You don't thnk so doesn't mean he wasn't involved. The KJV wasn't written by one person alone, & it has several versions. Shakespeare was also one of the most respected writers during the reign of King James. It's very likely he got called upon @ some point to add some touches.
It's 1611 not 1610.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 20, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Sorry. I meant 1611.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jan 20, 2016
plaetton:
smiley

Come on, there's incontrovertible proof that Shakespeare existed. It's not even arguable. Thanks to portrait paintings which were prevalent in Europe during the Rennaisance era.

Francis Bacon was more scientific in his approach to philosophy.
Those speculations have no verisimilitude.
However, I do believe when they say Shakespeare isn't entirely responsible for every material that now bears his name.
He usually drew ideas from inebriated writers whenever he went to the tavern for muse.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jan 20, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Come on, there's incontrovertible proof that Shakespeare existed. It's not even arguable. Thanks to portrait paintings which were prevalent in Europe during the Rennaisance era.

However, I do believe when they say Shakespeare isn't entirely responsible for every material that now bears his name.
He usually drew ideas from inebriated writers whenever he went to the tavern for muse.
Christophe Malowe.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by plaetton: 12:13pm On Jan 20, 2016
darkenedrebel:

However, I do believe when they say Shakespeare isn't entirely responsible every material that now bears his name.

Actually sir, dig deeper, and you would find that a man named William Shakespeare, upon whose image the entire facade of Shakespeare was constructed, was discovered to have lived in a remote village, a tailor, never travelled out, talkless of an education and courtly exposure that allowed his versatile literary works.

His name was William Shakspear , not Shakespeare.

The Shakespearian plays so enriched the English language, and by extension the entire English culture, that it was necessary to create a fake, but non- verifiable history, as a perpetual tribute to the legacy of the Shakespearian plays on English culture.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jan 20, 2016
plaetton:

Actually sir, dig deeper, and you would find that a man named William Shakespeare, upon whose image the entire facade of Shakespeare was constructed, was discovered to have lived in a remote village, a tailor, never travelled out, talkless of an education and courtly exposure that allowed his versatile literary works.

His name was William Shakspear , not Shakespeare.

The Shakespearian plays so enriched the English language, and by extension the entire English culture, that it was necessary to create a fake, but non- verifiable history, as a perpetual tribute to the legacy of the Shakespearian plays on English culture.

You are telling me to excavate on Shakespeare? I knew all these things since I was in JSS1 sir.
I have never seen or heard from anywhere that his real name was Shakspear . Kindly drop a link. I need to feed my curiousity.

As far as I'm concerned, all of what you stated are fringe beliefs like Shakespeare scholars & literary historians would say.
You claim William was a peasant tailor that lacked the education, aristocratic sensibility, & adequate familiarity with the royal house, to be able to seamlessly pen down ingenuity, but you & the other proponents have not dug out any substantial proof worthy of note.

In other words, It's null and void. Have a nice day. cool

file:///storage/sdcard0/UCDownloads/Shakespeare%20authorship%20question%20-%20Wikipedia,%20the%20free%20encycloped.mht
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by plaetton: 12:39pm On Jan 20, 2016
darkenedrebel:

You are telling me to excavate on Shakespeare? I knew all these things since I was in JSS1 sir grin
I have never seen or heard from anywhere that his real name was Shakspear . Kindly drop a link. I need to feed my curiousity.

As far as I'm concerned, all of what you stated are fringe beliefs like Shakespeare scholars & literary historians would say.
You claim William was a peasant tailor that lacked the education, aristocratic sensibility, & adequate familiarity with the royal house, to be able to seamlessly pen down ingenuity, but you & the other proponents have not dug out any substantial proof worthy of note.

In other words, It's null and void. Have a nice day. cool

file:///storage/sdcard0/UCDownloads/Shakespeare%20authorship%20question%20-%20Wikipedia,%20the%20free%20encycloped.mht

There is actually no problem with believing . That was the whole idea those who wished that future generations do.

But there is more doubts, more pieces of evidence that he did not write the plays than there are that he did.
That's what skeptics like me look at, the where the evidence points to.
Same way with religious beliefs.

There exists no biographical records, no school records, no paper trial, no poems, no unfinished manuscripts, nothing, except for a name.
His parents were not educated, neither were his siblings.

So, his authorship of the Shakespearian plays is a big mystery that begs for an explanation.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 20, 2016
Reyginus:
Christophe Malowe.

The playwright that got murdered by Ingram Frizer. He was Shakespeare's predecessor... Why?
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jan 20, 2016
darkenedrebel:
Bykebyke Sinizia Mizmycoli Estharfabian Alexpissu Luxanne Creamish Reyginus Marieolae
etcetera etcetera
Oh, Michael...undecided

I think I forgot to mention My Dislike For anything "Shakespeare"? undecided

Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 20, 2016
Estharfabian:
Oh, Michael...undecided

I think I forgot to mention My Dislike For anything "Shakespeare"? undecided

Oh fairest maiden!.

Whatever, you science geek tongue

1 Like

Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by nynbrada: 12:56pm On Jan 20, 2016
^^^^

Mtccccww.......wwww,,,what a feeble and boring attempt to discredit the bible..

OP yu no even try at aaallllllll.

Yu should really be ashamed of yourself for utter lack of creativity on your path.

SHM.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 20, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Oh fairest maiden!.

Whatever, you science geek tongue
Haha!grin

don't know about "geek"? undecided Buh I Sure as hell love anything science!tongue Shakespeare could kiss my ass for all I care...
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jan 20, 2016
nynbrada:
^^^^

Mtccccww.......wwww,,,what a feeble and boring attempt to discredit the bible..

OP yu no even try at aaallllllll.

Yu should really be ashamed of yourself for utter lack of creativity on your path.

SHM.

This is not an attempt to discredit the bible.
Besides, the KJV version is not entirely legit. The only Bible I read(for academic purposes) is the Catholic/African bible. It's more accurate (I am not a christian though)

Estharfabian:
Haha!grin

don't know about "geek"? undecided Buh I Sure as hell love anything science!tongue
Shakespeare could kiss my ass for all I care

@bolded_ I don't think he would mind though. All you have to do is fly to the Church of the Holy Trinity, Stratford-upon-Avon, then press your bütt cheeks to his cadaver. Easy as whistling Dixie. He'd gladly kiss it grin

1 Like

Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 20, 2016
darkenedrebel:

The playwright that got murdered by Ingram Frizer. He was Shakespeare's predecessor... Why?
Yeah. There are many accounts to it. It is the other way round. Some have suspected him to be the Shakespeare we know today or Influenced him or Copied him. He existed before W.S.

Every style of writing you see in Shakespeare was first done by Christopher Marlowe. He might be the one using that pen name Shakespeare. The style is just too similar to overlook.
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by Nobody: 4:59am On Jan 29, 2016
Thanks for the mention but I will rather be on the sideline .Did the hindus help write the bible ?

There are things unknown to man
Re: What You Never Knew About The Bible/William Shakespeare (shocking & genius) by kingsleymiles(m): 9:10am On Mar 14, 2016
Hmmm it's somehow connected..

(1) (2) (Reply)

What God Does For A Living (Yahweh's True Profession) / Teach Me Warfare Prayers / Proud Jews On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.