Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,661 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

How Long Should You Stay In A Job? – IT Career - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Long Should You Stay In A Job? – IT Career (722 Views)

Can You Stay In This Bathroom For 24 Hours And.... / This Is Why You Should Stop Thinking 9-5 Collar Job (it's A System Of Enslavery) / How Long Does NATIONAL ID Card Takes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Long Should You Stay In A Job? – IT Career by AkumahTalk(m): 1:06pm On Jan 20, 2016
As an IT professional, how long should you stay in a job? This is my third year in my current job and I’m already feeling restless. It seems I’ve learnt everything the job has to offer and I still can’t see a clear path-way up the corporate ladder. I decided to write this post to blow off some steam.

The question; “how long should you stay in a job” also refers to “how long should you stay in a particular job or company”. This post addresses both interchangeably in some instances but focuses on a general idea by grouping both questions as a whole.

How long should you stay in a job in order to gain the required experience and remain attractive in the job market?

From an exclusive survey of 244 IT professionals conducted by Computer World in 2015; majority of the respondents recommended 1 – 3 years. see survey result: http://www.techbusiness101.com/how-long-should-you-stay-in-a-job/

A few decades ago, the answer to this question would most likely have been: “a life time”. Well that was then, this is now. As an IT professional, you have to keep up with new trends. To the average person, a life time career with a single company seems far-fetched. This is because people get bored with their jobs for so many reasons and companies go through financial cycles from time to time. So if you don’t leave on your own, chances are that you could get laid off during a bad financial year.

However, there might be an exception for jobs in government institutions and fortune 500 companies. Most of their employees still prefer the old religion; long service awards and loyalty plaques. This is because, government jobs are stable enough to provide security and a clear career path, while fortune 500 companies have the capacity to provide a robust experience that engages employees on different levels so as to keep them motivated. Unfortunately, employees in these institutions only account for a fraction of today’s work force.

So what about the majority!

In a bid to address the skill gaps, companies are constantly looking out for competent professionals with the required experience. As a result of this, the market now offers more options and more money to qualified IT professionals; hence, the new “grasshopper” mentality of IT professionals today.

From the survey result above, a cumulative total of 50% of the respondents agreed that their biggest concerns were:
1. Keeping skills up to date and being valuable to employer
2. Finding an appropriate new position for my skill set

This may have informed the resolve of 46% of the respondents that recommended 1-3 years in a job.

What are the Pros and Cons?

Pros & Cons of staying 1 – 3 years in a job
1. Nowadays, IT job requirements tend to be generalist in nature. Moving jobs can give you the right exposure/experience and make your resume look attractive to recruiters. Taking on new roles every few years can make you a more seasoned IT professional. Ironically, you may also be considered to be disloyal, unstable and hazardous. Companies don’t want to get their fingers bitten. After investing time and money on staff training, they want a return on investment.
2. Switching jobs present an opportunity for IT professionals to get higher pay for their work. However, this may not always be the case. Also, an employee may lose out on a company’s long term benefits plan that takes effect after “X” years of service and may continue to increase going forward; based on the number of years spent in the company.
3. Switching jobs often can also be an effective strategy for IT professionals to move up the corporate ladder quickly. Unfortunately, if you’re not moving to a supervisory or management role, it may not always be easy for you to tell if you’re moving horizontally of vertically.

Pros & Cons of staying longer in a job

1. Long tenure can be very attractive to recruiters. They see stability, security and most importantly loyalty. Ironically, your knowledge and experience may be too focused and not broad enough to meet their “generalist type” requirements.
2. Staying longer in a job may give you an opportunity to master your craft and perfect your skills. However, you may become stale and only see things from a particular perspective. To learn, develop and grow, you need to change your environment. In other words; go to another company and work with a different set of people.
3. Staying longer in a job can also give you enough time to build your reputation for integrity, technical knowledge and establish lasting business relationships. Unfortunately, companies don’t value loyalty like they use to. When the restructuring hammer falls, it falls on the old and the young.

My recommendations: How long should you stay in a job?
1. I would recommend that you spend at least 2 years in a job before you start thinking about moving to a new position. Holding a job for a long stretch of time has a lot to say about your integrity.
2. Try to exploit all opportunities to grow within your company before you think of moving out.
3. Do not focus only on remuneration at the expense of your career growth. You’ve got only about 30 years of value to bring to the industry. Strike a balance and try to ensure that you move vertically and not horizontally.
4. Companies always put their business first. You should also learn to put your career first. Don’t waste your time on a Win-Lose relationship that is in favor of a company. Always go for a Win-Win relationship that keeps you satisfied, motivated and makes the best use of your skills, talent and gifting.
5. Never trust a company with your future; you can quickly become redundant only to be laid-off whenever the company decides to restructure. Be vigilant and take ownership of your career growth.

Source: http://www.techbusiness101.com/how-long-should-you-stay-in-a-job/

(1) (Reply)

Some Technical Issues With Nairaland These Days / Trending:#sincebuharibecamepresident / Be Sincere! Name One Thing U Can't Live Without

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.