Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,704 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Announcing Google Nigeria - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Announcing Google Nigeria (6191 Views)

Announcing Iwp Version 4.0 It's Unbelievable / Announcing Barcamp Nigeria 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Announcing Google Nigeria by jerrymania(m): 9:57am On Oct 26, 2006
Guys dont know how long Google Nigeria has been on well just tot i shud announce it, http://www.google.com.ng
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by charlisco(m): 3:21pm On Oct 28, 2006
Google Nigeira
I just type in google.com in my address bar, and the next page that display shows me google in Nigeira (www.google.com.ng), with this new innovation we can now search result in the web, that is from Nigeria

What is your view about, is google trying to know what we Nigeria internet browsers are searching for in the internet

Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by nilla(f): 3:33pm On Oct 28, 2006
just saw it. i think its ok though.
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by timmy(m): 2:10pm On Nov 02, 2006
The first Internet giant to recognize Naija!

Google Nigeria

www.google.com.ng grin

whats your comment?
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by niyyie(m): 5:39pm On Nov 09, 2006
It's a good development. A step in the right direction.
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by Seun(m): 5:42pm On Nov 09, 2006
I don't like it because of the algorithm it uses to determine whether a website is "Nigerian".
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by gbadex1(m): 4:44pm On Nov 11, 2006
@ Seun:

i don't understand. What do you mean?
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by Seun(m): 5:24pm On Nov 11, 2006
Google.com.ng has a option of returning only results from sites in Nigeria, but a site in Nigeria is defined as one that has a .NG domain name or is hosted with a Nigerian ISP. Most Nigerian sites - including Nairaland - don't qualify.
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by Afam(m): 6:27pm On Nov 12, 2006
google.com.ng is simply not effective as far as Nigeria is concerned.

Just typed web designers and the results are as irrelevant as they useless to one looking for web designers in Nigeria.
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by niyyie(m): 5:30am On Nov 14, 2006
I agree that their algorithm doesn't favour most "Nigerian" websites. This is the same algorithm they use all over the world and is not strange to me at all. UK users will not complain since most UK web users host in the UK or use UK domains. It's up to us Nigerians to develop our infrastructure such that we can host locally, and/or use .ng domains.

Now here's the killer app. Go to http://www.supernigeria.com and type any common keyword and see what you come-up with. grin
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by niceuzor: 7:41pm On Nov 16, 2006
Nairalanders

Google Nigeria has been Lauched Simply search the Web

Www.google.com.ng

for any detail on Nigeria As your Country.
Lets Keep on waiting for Yahoo Nigeria.
Have a nice day Foes.
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by hayprof(m): 10:19pm On Nov 23, 2006
Cant One get to open the original Google.com without the Google.com.ng appearing instead? lipsrsealed
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by MrSammiE(m): 1:29am On Dec 02, 2006
Anyway we are finally recognized by Google wink
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by sandoka(m): 7:10pm On Dec 02, 2006
The google.com.ng is not a bad idea at all. As a search engine optimization expert, i welcome this idea. But one thing you all should know is that, when you type in www.google.com.ng into your web browser you get to see Nigeria somewhere below the google logo right? This just not appear on it's own. You see most Internet based businesses have a way of detecting IP addresses automatically from all over the globe. This is a way to letting you know that what ever you are doing on their website you are been monitired.

I tried to make an online purchase from amazon.com but my order was declined due to the fact that they detected my IP to be a Nigerian IP because Nigerians are well known for online scams.

The google.com.ng gives you the best of your search experience. If you type in bookshops in the search box, google will display results from every bookshop on the internet. But if you type in bookshops and select the button that says select pages from Nigeria, i bet you google will give you targeted results for your search, displaying results of bookshops that are in Nigeria only. If you have a bookshop and your bookshop doesn't appear in the search engine's result page, that means you have not optimized your website properly for inclusion in the search engine's database.

If you want to know how to optimize your website for search engines, visit the following link: syakubu.googlepages.com/internetmarketingcourse
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by sandoka(m): 7:12pm On Dec 02, 2006
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by sandoka(m): 7:21pm On Dec 02, 2006
Google's algorithm works for every website no matter where it is hosted. As far as i know most search engines use a set of formula to index pages. For your website to appear in google's result pages, certain things must be put in place before your website can appear. You need to know the secrets of website optimization so that people will get to know that your website exists when they search for it.

syakubu.googlepages.com/internetmarketingcourse
Re: Announcing Google Nigeria by otoidea(m): 5:04am On Dec 04, 2006
google nigeria iz sumhow jare, my site shows up on search the web wen i search 4 "2digits", but doesnt on search 4 nigerian sites, the site is 2digitsweb.com , i av nigeria in sum parts of the site and in the meta part , i thnk it sud be smart enuf to list it , abi wat do yall think

(1) (Reply)

Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' / Only 14 Nigerians Are CCIE Certified / Help Install Windows On Chrome OS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.