Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,271 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management (14296 Views)

Lady Expelled From Federal University Lokoja Unjustly Speaks / UNIBEN Pharmacy Student Incarcerated Unjustly, Please Help! / Two OAU Students Die In Less Than 24 Hours (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Fynestboi: 9:00am On Jan 21, 2016
Obafemi Awolowo University suspend Student union leaders (The president, General Secretary and PRO) 6 semester and 4 semesters respectively, this suspension is premised on the saga between the Students' Union and Prof Y. K Yusuf of English language department. Nevertheless considering the saga, it is still not a strong justification to suspend Union leaders, that only have two months away from concluding their programme.

If you know someone that knows someone closer to someone that knows someone closer to someone that can help these students, their stay on campus is about to be elongated if the suspension stands. Help us say no to victimization of Union leaders.

This is from one of the suspended union leaders (PRO)
IMMANUEL KANT SPEAKS
OUR SUSPENSION AND VICTIMISATION : A BULLET IN THE HEART
Great Ife,
It is with utmost sense of responsibility that i write to inform the general public at this period.
It is imperative to appreciate the multitude of Great Ife Students who stood and are still ready to stand by their union and union leaders even in the face of the seeming oppression. I also take the initiative to appreciate the multitude of students who supported me with prayers during the course of my illness. Your prayers worked wonders.

The widespread rumour needs authentication or debunking. Sequel to the suspension of union activities, the invitation of some union leaders to an investigative panel and the re-opening of the university. I must confirm to you that TRUTHFULLY OUR STUDENTSHIP HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED FOR SEMESTERS (4 Semesters and 6 Semesters) respectively .

This decision was said to have been made at the recommendation of the panel that was set up by the University administration.
It should be noted the silence of the leadership of the union was not borne of fear or cowardice but due to the uncertainty that surrounded the rumours. The confirmation came hours ago.

It is important to inform the public that our suspension was premised on Professor Y.K Yusuf saga but even the foetus on OAU campus knows that our suspension was borne out of something deeper.

We hereby use this medium to call on well meaning Nigerians, students, organisations to see into our cause as the three of us involved, the President, Secretary General and PRO are 2 months away from completing our programmes.

Emmanuel Ojedokun
A 400 level Student of the department of International Relations
Public Relations Officer
@Immanuelkantz
21-01-2016.
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Fynestboi: 12:24pm On Jan 23, 2016
TY SPEAKS- THE SUSPENSION OF OUR STUDENTSHIP: A PARODY OF JUSTICE:

Great Ife,

In a bid to detoxify the highly polluted atmosphere of skepticism, confusion and insinuation of the state of our studentship, it is germane to halt this silence. Our silence however, is not in anyway deliberate as it may also surprise everyone that just as the studentry were uncertain, we were also curious due to the circumstances by which we recieved our letters of suspension.

On the 8th Jan, 2016, we received calls from our respective departments asking us to come and pick up letters. In those letters were directives that we have been placed on suspension. The President, Secretary General and PRO on six, four and four semesters respectively.
Hours later, we were asked to return the letters. After some days, we were later informed that we have letters and on going back we received the same suspension letters.

Great Ife, as I write we have received the letters and the directive still remain the same. The President of the union, is placed on six semesters suspension, the Secretary General four semester and the Public Relation 4 semesterS.

We will also like to inform the students body that the union is currently examining the situation and will try to adopt the best approach to handle the victimization and achieve not only our reinstatement but ensure that the cause for a better welfare condition is well pressed home.

It is apposite, for the purpose of historical references, to reiterate that we committed all to the struggle for proper welfare condition exhausting diplomacy for months before resorting to the media and a day peaceful lecturer boycott. It is also pertinent to assert that we have no antecedent of being impolite or bellicose to any individual either staff or even our fellow students before and throughout the struggle.

We have treated every staff and students with full regard and respect and the premise of suspending us for assaulting a university professor becomes worrisome which makes me so discomfited. I will also for the purpose of the records say that I AM BEEN SUSPENDED FOR ASSAULTING A PROFESSOR I HAVE NEVER SET MY EYES ON UNTIL THE DAY WE MEET AT THE PANEL that recommended the suspension where I was courteous to him like everybody providence gives me the privilege of meeting on earth.

We start to lay the foundation of liberation when we begin to destroy the shelters of apathy inherent in our fears and illusions. History will definitely absolve us of contributing our quota.

It is our greatest prayers that the suspension be reviewed and we finish our respective programmes as and when due (expectedly in 2 months), reinstate the activities of the union and ensure we have a stable calendar.
The rason de tre of a union is to safeguard the interest of it members and in this case, a proper welfare condition is paramount which a union must not compromise.

I appreciate the critiques, both the objective ones and those who specialize in writing libelious propagandas on scandals and fictions.

I appreciate the concern of many friends and colleagues who are very worried about the situation at hand. I can never be demoralized rather I will continuously uphold the values in which am deeply convinced.

I will not cease to keep the generality of students updated of developments and exercise my conscious contributions to salient issues.

Omotayo Akande TY
Great Ife Students' Union President
(500L Chemical Engineering student, suspended by the university management).

1 Like

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Kenywonder: 1:08pm On Jan 23, 2016
Student unionism should be banned in its entirety

2 Likes

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Diesel1(m): 1:08pm On Jan 23, 2016
Ok
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by cutetopsey(f): 1:09pm On Jan 23, 2016
This suspension should be revisited by the school authorities......Irrespective of what these Union leaders might have done, it shouldn't in whatsoever lead to suspending them for months and consequently affecting their primary assignment on campus......

There should be a better and more considerate punishment for these leaders rather than this so called suspension...

BTW, check my signature on how to get rid of excess ugly belly fats

7 Likes

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by callJesu: 1:11pm On Jan 23, 2016
Hmmmnnn
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by BIGTinfotech: 1:11pm On Jan 23, 2016
Lmao!
Na today??

Of the greatest gbo-gbo...gba-gba...shh-shh..

The voice you're hearing today is the voice of...a.k.a...

#Aluta ti take over!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Codeblues(m): 1:12pm On Jan 23, 2016
Noted.
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by wisesoul(m): 1:12pm On Jan 23, 2016
The Lord will see you guyz through.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by dominique(f): 1:12pm On Jan 23, 2016
The exact reason for the suspension is not stated in the post. We know how strongheaded these student union people can be. Most times they forget that they're answerable to the school authorities. Hope they won't go destroying structures o.It's better they appeal the suspension and reach an agreement.

2 Likes

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Muftyism(m): 1:13pm On Jan 23, 2016
May God sabotage those who embark the saboteur of this lomg aged union
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Fynestboi: 1:17pm On Jan 23, 2016
dominique:
The exact reason for the suspension is not stated in the post. We know how strongheaded these student union people can be. Most times they forget that they're answerable to the school authorities. Hope they won't go destroying structures o.It's better they appeal the suspension and reach an agreement.

The president said

. I will also for the purpose of the records say that I AM BEEN SUSPENDED FOR ASSAULTING A PROFESSOR I HAVE NEVER SET MY EYES ON UNTIL THE DAY WE MEET AT THE PANEL that recommended the suspension where I was courteous to him like everybody providence gives me the privilege of meeting on earth.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Fynestboi: 1:18pm On Jan 23, 2016
Kenywonder:
Student unionism should be banned in its entirety

Because?

5 Likes

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Fynestboi: 1:21pm On Jan 23, 2016
What do you think should be done to evade elongation of their stay on campus? sad
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by akins56(m): 1:21pm On Jan 23, 2016
you can't fight the authorities and win..except off cos its on WWE wrestling where roman reigns have been raping the authority. lol
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by olafum1(m): 1:22pm On Jan 23, 2016
This OAU sef
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Lovebond34(m): 1:25pm On Jan 23, 2016
sorry o
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 23, 2016
all these boys that attend university to join violent student union groups instead of facing their studies.
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by babyfaceafrica: 1:29pm On Jan 23, 2016
Students will have there say,school authorities will have their way,be careful when you join union bodies..your future may be at risk!!!
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Gassa007: 1:29pm On Jan 23, 2016
Fynestboi:

The president said

. I will also for the purpose of the records say that I AM BEEN SUSPENDED FOR ASSAULTING A PROFESSOR I HAVE NEVER SET MY EYES ON UNTIL THE DAY WE MEET AT THE PANEL that recommended the suspension where I was courteous to him like everybody providence gives me the privilege of meeting on earth.
Baba goan sit down joor,never set eyes ko but he led the protest so he must be answerable to the handiworks of his protesters....
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Fynestboi: 1:31pm On Jan 23, 2016
Gassa007:

Baba goan sit down joor,never set eyes ko but he led the protest so he must be answerable to the handiworks of his protesters....

Hmmmmmm

You seems to know more, the protest was only a day isnt? How can the protest be apposite to the suspension?
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by naijaboiy: 1:34pm On Jan 23, 2016
They should take legal actions immediately.

I'm sure some well meaning lawyers will be ready to support them. angry

1 Like

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Contrabanned: 1:37pm On Jan 23, 2016
The suspension is actionable in the court of law. If they really love their education, the can challenge the decision based on Nemo judex in causa sua and Audi alteram partem. No authority Judicial or quasi judicial can find anyone guity of any offense without hearing his own side of the story.

6 Likes

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Fynestboi: 1:39pm On Jan 23, 2016
naijaboiy:
They should take legal actions immediately.

I'm sure some well meaning lawyers will be ready to support them. angry

Noted...
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by naijaboiy: 1:46pm On Jan 23, 2016
Contrabanned:
The suspension is actionable in the court of law. If they really love their education, the can challenge the decision based on Nemo judex in causa sua and Audi alteram partem
Exactly sir!

The person who claims to have been assaulted cannot be the same person who will pass judgement to the "accused".

The students should also have been given the opportunity to defend themselves in the presence of the panel before any judgement is passed.

All these school panels been giving out punishments to students unjustly since 1980BC

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by passionate88: 1:51pm On Jan 23, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by olaitan9291(m): 1:52pm On Jan 23, 2016
Student unionism should be banned in its entirety.
Please, why it should be ban?
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by sainty2k3(m): 1:53pm On Jan 23, 2016
once upon a time , some notable lawyers used to fight for justice in cases like this , free of charge. however settling out of court is the best, once u enter court the suspension stands till after final court decision. u might get some money as compensation sha

2 Likes

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by ogaofficer(m): 1:53pm On Jan 23, 2016
pathetic
Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by bekpo(m): 1:55pm On Jan 23, 2016
The purpose of Student unionism is for d welfairism of Nigerian students and ensuring a good and proper accedemic environment for accedemic excellence. In atticulating for these,it must b approached by most legitimate and peacefull manner.
However,dipplomacy should always b potent weapon for d strugle. University management should not b instrument and instrument of frustration n they should not c d jNigerian students union as a threat. It's only d criminal minded will b afraid. I therefore call on d management of OAU to reinstate these union leaders wid imediate effect. Should d management fail and or neglect to reinstate these students,i shall mobilise d Nigerian students in protest to d federal government and invite d relevant agencies to investigate d activities of d management. Aluta aceta, victoria aceta.

8 Likes

Re: Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management by Ahmadabd(m): 1:57pm On Jan 23, 2016
RUBBISH, Tell us wat happen between you nd d prof.

Student Unions alwayz cauzing problems

they are alwayz trying 2 accomplish their selfish interests instead of fighting for students right.

Datz Y I lov ABU, dey ban SUG nd replace it wit SRC

#SayNoToSelfishStudents'Union

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Smart Brains; Answer This! / 1.7 Million Candidates Expected To Sit For 2017 UTME — JAMB Registrar / PHOTOS: Osun State Revenue Service Shuts OAU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.