Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

The Plight Of Nigeria Workers And The NLC - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Plight Of Nigeria Workers And The NLC (9421 Views)

My Plight With A Recruiting Firm / Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja / Hilarious Relationship Between Workers And Their Bosses(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Plight Of Nigeria Workers And The NLC by adedoyinbadmus: 4:48pm On Jan 22, 2016
very pathetic, Nigerians are the problem of other Nigerians no doubt
Dahveydson:
We talk about foreign companies and all when all Nigerian companies are owing workers left right and center.

Capital oil and Gas owned by Ifeanyi Ubah is owing more than 4 months salary to his workers yet Nupeng and NLC remain quiet on the issue.

We are killing ourselves by ourselves. If we treat ourselves right, will a foreigner come and treat us wrongly when he's not mad.
Re: The Plight Of Nigeria Workers And The NLC by adedoyinbadmus: 4:51pm On Jan 22, 2016
lolz....
AwesomeRomeo:
Gbam, you said it all. I think you deserve to be the minister for labour. I will write to PMB, you will replace Ngige.
Re: The Plight Of Nigeria Workers And The NLC by Analysiscorner: 10:49pm On Jan 22, 2016
adedoyinbadmus:
I will like this to go viral so as to get the attention of the President, the Minister of Labour and the inept leaders of the Nigerians Labour Congress. Kindly move to front page.
It is with a heavy heart and rile arising from my disappointment in a failed union called NIGERIAN LABOUR CONGRESS (NLC), I write this piece.
Summarily, it is my opinion that the activities and functions of our trade union is but not limited to these highlighted points briefly itemized below (culled from the NLC website);
1. Political role, using collective power to influence decisions on behalf of members and the wider society;
2. Market role, by intervention wage bargaining and thus impacting on the economy;
3. Regulatory role by setting standards in relation to jobs and terms and conditions;
4. Democratizing role, in creating industrial democracy at the workplace;
5. Service role, in promoting the intervention of members;
6. Enhancement role in helping to develop the human potential of members; and
7. Welfare role in providing assistance to particular groups.

This well written and articulated roles expressed above by the NLC is only but a mirage to the Nigerian worker as majority are yet to see this in action due largely to the gross neglect of duties and corruption prevalent in the union
I deduced the primary responsibility of the Union should be there to protect the rights and interest of the Nigerian worker but this is hardly the case. The Nigerian worker is exposed to all forms of exploitation and injustice.
The Labour union has simply failed in its duties.
This has placed the Nigerian worker in a state of hopelessness and perpetual agitation and this is a ticking time bomb and a revolution is imminent if something is not done to ameliorate this.
I know of a particular instance where the NLC was invited to mediate some dispute between Nigerian workers and their Indian employers in one of these Indian owned establishment (MSTORE INVESTMENT LIMITED No 54, Adeniyi Jones, Beside Zenith bank, Ikeja, Lagos). The company operates in different names so as to evade tax and basic responsibilities. After series of correspondence and calls, when the NLC eventually came, they met with the management, collected huge sums of money as bribes and left without any recourse to the Nigerian workers who invited them initially. This begs the question, is it Nigeria that is a failed state or the people in power disrupting the peace and unity of the Nation. It is often said, that Nigerians are the problems of other Nigerians.
The rate by which these so- called Indian, Chinese and Lebanese owned companies in the Nation keep on exploiting and using Nigerian workers in a distraught and dehumanizing manner can be said to be another form of slavery. The seemingly quietness and neglect by the Nigerian government and workers union is a great cause for concern for all. Coupled with the low level of unemployment and underemployment in the nation that has given these Firms the leeway to exploit and treat Nigerians workers and graduates like poo.
Going through different write-ups and articles on the treatment of Nigerians by these Indians and so called Lebanese (a typical example LACASERA) you will notice, they see themselves as better humans, bringing in their racist and discriminating orientation into the Nigerian work space.
This should stop before a revolution will take place and Nigerians will stand and fight for what is theirs.
I happened to have worked in one of these Indian owned company with a staff strength of over 2200 people of which over one-third of the workers are unqualified Indian ‘expatriates’ imported into the country to do jobs, Nigerians ordinarily should handle. What is baffling is that, most of these Indians in the company come into the country without requisite work permit and proper documentation, thereby violating the Constitution, yet they are mainly placed above the so called BSc/MSc graduates with adequate qualifications and work experience. Fine, there is no problem with that since it’s an Indian company the management has the right to employ and appoint people who they deem fit into positions in the company but this should not be at the detriment of Nigerian workers. The rights of workers in these so called Indian company is often being violated and trampled upon on a daily basis. Most of these injustices is in the form of; poor remuneration- graduates earning less than 50k, no leave allowance, no pension scheme, very limited health cover when available, casualization of workers, absence of job security, no increment, arbitrary sacking with no compensation whatsoever, irregular salary expatriates are paid Local and then foreign salary , no promotions, no profit sharing, maltreatment of staff and total disdain and disregard for the Nigerian Labour Law which they continually contravene again and again other unwholesome practices includes cutting of cost, tax avoidance and evasion, declaring false financial position and statements.
Nigeria failed? Or the so called NLC that is supposed to protect and help in the wellness of the conditions of workers in the country.
I want to implore the new Minister of Labour, Sen Chris Ngige, to kindly look into this, as a matter of urgency, meet with the various workers union (which have so far failed in their responsibilities) and set up a fact finding committee that will make recommendations that will (probably lead to legislations) adequately address these issues.
For the sake of the sanity of many Nigerian youth. Something must be done NOW. We cannot continue to remain slaves in our father’s land.
Sorry that your topic isn't about politics. Not much e-warriors in it.
Re: The Plight Of Nigeria Workers And The NLC by BurntMeat(f): 7:49am On Jan 23, 2016
adedoyinbadmus:
collective Litigation, would have been a reasonable response but in Nigeria we hardly have Pro bono cases. our judicial system is a mess
Might not necessarily have to be pro bono. Affected workers can pull resources together and see to the legal fees. And isn't this within the purview of human right lawyers?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Pursue A Career In Public Health / Is There Something Inconsequential That People Do At Work That Irritates You? / What Do You Like About Your Workplace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.