Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja (9329 Views)

300 Sacked Lagos Street Sweepers Disowned / Street Sweepers In Benin Stage Protest Over Non-payment Of 7 Months Salary / Photo: Cripples Serve As Street Sweepers In Kaduna State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by lamzybaby: 3:10am On Jul 07, 2016
In order to keep the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja clean, some people have been employed to carry out the task of sweeping the streets.

In this piece Nigerian Pilot examine the plight of such persons

It is a bright sunny morning in Abuja; Mrs. Lola Yetunde could be spotted along the Aminu Kano Express Way, Wuse 2, sweeping the streets carrying her baby on her back. She does this every day under the scourging heat or drizzling rain.

For Mrs. Yetunde, who is a mother of six, her job is her life. It is her only source of livelihood. Being a widow, she has nothing to her name as her husband’s family deprived her of her rights to his properties. She said after his death life has been a rollercoaster of turbulence as she struggles to keep her family alive with the little income she makes from sweeping the streets. Mrs. Yetunde is just one amongst many street sweepers employed by independent contractors through the Abuja Environmental Protection Board , AEPB to help make city look clean and beautiful.

Abuja is divided into districts and the cleaning of the districts are handled by different independent contractors so as to reduce the work of AEPB whose sole responsibility is to monitor the activities of these independent contractors. For many street sweepers who spoke to this reporter street- sweeping was a last resort. “If I could find a better job sweeping the streets would have been my last option. I need to cater for my family. Since my husband died five years ago, it has not been easy for me. Getting this job was a miracle for me.

More: http://nigerianpilot.com/plight-street-sweepers-abuja/

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by chriskosherbal(m): 3:14am On Jul 07, 2016
Ok
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Standing5(m): 3:28am On Jul 07, 2016
Street sweepers helps spread the cake. It is just another flimsy excuse share the cake round this why we don't export nothing but depend on oil.

1 Like

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by dauntless15(m): 6:31am On Jul 07, 2016
Why cant Buhari just get the real street sweepers those vehicles with sweepers attached to it

4 Likes

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Vince77(m): 6:32am On Jul 07, 2016
I have noticed that most street sweepers dont have reflective jacket and they dont use dat round tin dat looks like VLC Media Player...

Its very dangerous. What if u r sweeping in d early hours say abt 5:30am and a driver with poor visibility is driving on dat same road.

Anything could happen.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Gracito(f): 6:33am On Jul 07, 2016
It's really not easy. I have heard of some workers who got hit by vehicles while working. But it's better than Crime.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by apesinola001: 6:33am On Jul 07, 2016
The hustle is real.God is our strength.
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by johnstar(m): 6:33am On Jul 07, 2016
undecided
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Einl(m): 6:36am On Jul 07, 2016
The government should NEVER use contract staff for their services. Why can't they employ them directly?? Just give me one reason. And who owns the contract companies?? Na still them them.

Now the government will pay the company for the contract of hiring the cleaners, then they will still give the company money to pay the cleaners. No wonder everybody de look for government contract.
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Nobody: 6:37am On Jul 07, 2016
Whats the plight biko? Are they not well paid or something?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by aimuan(m): 6:38am On Jul 07, 2016
It doesn't matter the job u do as long as is genuine,what matter is the pay.madam u got a job save some money and start your business.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Vendoor(f): 6:40am On Jul 07, 2016
Hardship.... Those contractors will no doubt pay them less than nothing.
Modern slavery everywhere
Sad embarassed
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Nobody: 6:41am On Jul 07, 2016
dauntless15:
Why cant Buhari just get the real street sweepers those vehicles with sweepers attached to it

It is a good idea...though the Government does not employ the street sweepers.....most of them are employed by private companies that are contracted by Abuja Envt Protection Board.

Still....good idea.
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by chimah3(m): 6:43am On Jul 07, 2016
Ehyaa!

But they only clean the city centre angry
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Nobody: 6:43am On Jul 07, 2016
Einl:
The government should NEVER use contract staff for their services. Why can't they employ them directly?? Just give me one reason. And who owns the contract companies?? Na still them them.

Government run companies have a bad record in Nigeria because of the fact that people working for them get paid, even for doing a bad job. You cannot do that working for a private company ...you would be sacked instantly.

Now the government will pay the company for the contract of hiring the cleaners, then they will still give the company money to pay the cleaners. No wonder everybody de look for government contract.

I wonder o.

1 Like

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by izzy4shizzy(m): 6:46am On Jul 07, 2016
Street sweepers[b][/b]
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by dauntless15(m): 6:48am On Jul 07, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

It is a good idea...though the Government does not employ the street sweepers.....most of them are employed by private companies that are contracted by Abuja Envt Protection Board.

Still....good idea.
cant imagine what those women pass through for peanuts
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by GoldenJAT(m): 6:48am On Jul 07, 2016
when I don't have any sensible thing 2 say... I just type Observing!! nevertheless it is still better than been an arm robber who makes millions stealing.. Dignity of labour
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Histrings08(m): 6:51am On Jul 07, 2016
Awwwww
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by blaquemyc: 6:51am On Jul 07, 2016
The thread title sef get as e be. After reading thru, it's Mrs Yetunde's plight i see. I thought you wanted to say that they don't get paid or are poorly equipped to do dia job.

6 Likes

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Einl(m): 6:52am On Jul 07, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Government run companies have a bad record in Nigeria because of the fact that people working for them get paid, even for doing a bad job. You cannot do that working for a private company ...you would be sacked instantly.

I wonder o.

OK na. Let's privatise all the MDA's and let all civil servants work for private companies to reduce inefficiency 'cos they are all really doing a bad job now.

No na. If a civil servant knows that he will be sacked if he is doing a bad job then he will sit up. Likewise a street cleaner employed directly by the government.
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by otokx(m): 7:04am On Jul 07, 2016
poor write up.

2 Likes

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Weedcrusher: 7:27am On Jul 07, 2016
Poor people suffer in Nigeria
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by horpiano(m): 7:46am On Jul 07, 2016
at least man go chop....
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by oglalasioux(m): 8:03am On Jul 07, 2016
Street sweeping is a dignified job. What government should do is to make sure the contractors don't shortchange the sweepers, create welfare packages for them and provide them modern tools to make their work easier and more dignified.
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Viktor1983(m): 8:51am On Jul 07, 2016
dauntless15:

That's taking away jobs from these sweepers...

oglalasioux:
Street sweeping is a dignified job. What government should do is to make sure the contractors don't shortchange the sweepers, create welfare packages for them and provide them modern tools to make their work easier and more dignified.

Real Talk

2 Likes

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by nonix22(m): 8:53am On Jul 07, 2016
...why e be say na people with little source of income dey always born full house I pray t doesn't get to a football team. This is not street sweepers' plight but a particular individual's plight abeg!

1 Like

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Sard(m): 8:59am On Jul 07, 2016
lamzybaby:

For Mrs. Yetunde, who is a mother of six, her job is her life. It is her only source of livelihood. Being a widow, she has nothing to her name as her husband’s family deprived her of her rights to his properties.

Abuja

More: http://nigerianpilot.com/plight-street-sweepers-abuja/

An ordinary street sweeper has 6 children!
People need to be taught about family planning in Nigeria.
That's what caught my attention, not the main point of the article.

1 Like

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by olumaxi(m): 9:26am On Jul 07, 2016
Life is a risk....besides,water no go kil person destined to die by fire
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Gerrard59(m): 10:10am On Jul 07, 2016
A mother of SIX?

Some individuals deserve whatever condition they find themselves. What nonsense!!!!. Six children that you can't take adequate care of. What happened to vasectomy or hysterectomy ?

3 Likes

Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by dauntless15(m): 10:26am On Jul 07, 2016
Viktor1983:

That's taking away jobs from these sweepers...

Real Talk
ya but this women are being paid peanuts for something worth more than that
Re: Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja by Checked86: 11:14am On Jul 07, 2016
The story does not connect at all. The street sweeping is human job and people do it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Career Guide: How To Become A Professor / Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria / 200 Staff Of Kogi State University Screened Out Of Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.