Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,589 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here (8415 Views)

Nigerian Embassy In Washington Sacks Workers, Explains Why / Apply Now: 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship Application / 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship For Young African Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nedu86(m): 10:13am On Jan 22, 2016
I applied for MWF and got an interview invite. Who else did?

Mods please move to FP
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nedu86(m): 10:16am On Jan 22, 2016
Alumni can also provide us interview tips.
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nanaman(m): 11:53am On Jan 22, 2016
I got the same email but mine will be in Lagos. Hope to get someone to elighten us more on the interview process. Will do my research though..

It will be great shaking hands with the most powerful man before he leaves office. #Iyanu ma sele..Amin

1 Like

Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by bamdexfarms(m): 4:13pm On Jan 22, 2016
are they sending the mails in batches? I applied but yet to receive any mail.
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by kingzx0(m): 9:58pm On Jan 22, 2016
Bro, thought the mail suppose to be confidential? Try take off ur details to avoid story that touch.
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nanaman(m): 7:25am On Jan 23, 2016
WINNING TIPS FOR MANDELA WASHINGTON FELLOWSHIP INTERVIEWS
Congratulations on your selection for the semi-final stage of the Mandela Washington Fellowship application process. The semi-final stage is the interview stage where you can show/demonstrate the content of your application and prove beyond doubt that the application was written by you, and is indeed your work.

It is important to note that at this stage of the application process, everyone that has been selected and invited for interview has something outstanding in their application content and hence, has a very good chance of being a Mandela Washington Fellow. So the most important thing is to stay true to your application by being consistent with it in such a way that shows the true traits of a Mandela Washington Fellow.

The interview will consist of about 3 to 4 panellists, which may be a mix of Nigerians and US diplomats. They will most likely have read through your application, giving them an idea of who you are and what you do. It is very important that you have it in mind that the interview process is not made to disqualify you but to give you an opportunity to show and demonstrate the leadership traits that has help you achieved the impacts you wrote about in your application.

The following are some of the things the panellists are going to be watching out for:

1. Consistency with your written application: The panellists will most likely have read through your application and be impressed by it. So, they want to meet the super intelligent entrepreneur/social change leader. They want to hear the story from the horse’s mouth. They want you to tell them the ‘’behind the scenes’’ of what produced the results you wrote about in your applications. As much as you should not recite your application verbatim, you must talk about the application. Use phrases like ‘like I mentioned in my application’. This will give them the assurance that the application and the story in it is yours and that you are the same with your application. Don’t talk so much about projects/activities/businesses, etc that you didn’t mention in your application except it helps you explain a point better or demonstrate an impact.
Keypoint: Show that the application is yours and that you can answer any question about the works you have done.

2. Confidence: Americans are confident people so they expect you to be confident. Actually, confidence is an important trait of leadership. They expect that if that story is truly yours, you should talk about it confidently. Your confidence is evaluated from the moment you step into the interview room. How you close the door behind you, how you shake hands, how you greet, how you sit, and how you talk, everything you do will project your confidence level. It is best to maintain eye contact with the panellists, especially the person who asked the question you are answering. Use your space; don’t sit at a corner of your seat. Use the table if you have to. Show them you know what you are talking about. Avoid fidgeting. And speak loud enough for everyone to hear you conveniently.
Keypoint: Show that your application is truly yours by talking about it boldly, looking straight into their eyes.

3. Diversity: The panellist will be watching out for diversity. How well do you relate with other people and embrace/appreciate their culture, way of thinking, language, accent, etc. This doesn’t mean that you should lose your identity. Be yourself, but show that you can accommodate others. You can show this by talking about how you work well with others from other culture/state/country in the past; or how you were able to communicate despite language barriers/ how you try learning about other people’s culture/language or how you like trying new foods, drinks etc. United States of America is a country of diverse cultures and the panellist want to be sure you’d do fine and learn well wherever you have to live in during your stay in the US.Keypoint: Keep your identity but show your ability to learn in a multicultural environment.

4. Demonstration of commitment to Africa: They are probably concerned about you returning to Africa after your program in USA. And one way they want to measure that is through your passion and commitment to your community/country/organization/institution. One of the goals of the program is to invest in young Africans who will come back home to giveback and develop Africa. So your interview time may not be the best time to talk about your interest to study/work in America or any other country nor is it a good time to take about the things you are not pleased about in your country. Talk about the issues you are addressing in your home community/country and how important it is to you. Talk about your long term vision for your social cause and how you plan to see it through. Be real; show passion.
Key point: Show you are a patriotic Nigerian.

5. Community leadership: The panellists are watching out for evidence of community leadership. The first rule here is avoidingthe word “I”. Instead talk about teamwork. Show that the results you have is a product of team work and not just your efforts. Talk about the times you engaged community leaders. Talk about how you inspire others to action. Talk about people and not just activities and projects. Take ownership of your community/organization/institution/country.
Keypoint: Show your interest in people and the changes you help bring about.

To help you demonstrate the above traits, you should do the following:

1. Be Punctual: Never be late for your interview. Americans see lateness as an insult; and a sign that the program is not very important to you. When planning your travel schedule, give time for security checks and delays on the road. Ensure you go with a valid means of identification. Getting to the interview venue in good time gives you room for coordination and organization. You should also not get to the venue too early. Don’t come for a 10am appointment by 8am, you might be inconveniencing others. Get to the gate about 30mins to your interview schedule time. If anything happens and you get to the interview venue behind your scheduled time, don’t let it go; apologise for your lateness without necessarily giving an excuse.
Keypoint: Don’t practice African Time, there’s nothing like it.

2. Master Your Application: In order to help you be consistent with your written application during the interview, master your essays. Read through several times before the interview. That doesn’t mean you should print it and go with it to the interview venue; you don’t want to do that. Know every part of it. They might pull out a question from anywhere and you must be ready to answer like you deliberately wrote that part to help them ask you questions.
Key Point: Be in charge of the Interview

3. Dress like an associate of the president: As a Mandela Washington Fellow, you will hang out with top government/business officials and diplomats. You will get to meet the President of the United States of America, so you must dress the part. Don’t over dress thinking you’ll impress. A good idea for dressing is to search for the picture of a top government/business official/diplomats and dress like them. Your appearance is your first judgement. Avoid shouting colours, be conservative and organized in your dressing.
Keypoint: Dress the part.

4. Story-Tell: Story telling is an important tool for engagement. Your interviewers want to be engaged. They want to have a discussion. So tell a story. Read through your application and turn it into a single story; a story of change. Make it personal and real. Start from yourself or a friend/family as the case may be. Indeed, everyone has a story. Talk about that young boy that inspires you to action. Connect the different aspect of your application through a story. Appeal to their emotions. Storytelling is (perhaps) the best way to explain a change. Emphasize on numbers if your work has reached and impacted many people, otherwise, play low on numbers.
Keypoint: Narrate the situation before your intervention, what you did and the change that happened.

5. Talk about results, not activities and plans: You may be tempted to talk about your many activities and actions, but they are not as important as the impact you have already. So don’t focus on the many activities you are/have doing/done. Talk about impact in clear terms. For example: our campaign reached 2,000 families and caused a behavioural change in them. Don’t lie, your eyes might tell. You should also not spend your time talking about plans only, or dreams and ideas. Talk about what you are doing and what you have done.
Key point: Show you are a doer not just a planner/dreamer.

6. Show sound social/business etiquettes: Social and business etiquettes are very important. Dress like a leader. Ensure you maintain eye contact and shake firmly. Take your seat only when offered. Be polite. Know the names of your panellists if you can (you may note their names when they introduce themselves). Even if you meet someone you know on the panel, greet them moderately. Speak simple and correct English and don’t try to form American accent. Speak slowly but with confidence. Many of the American diplomats may have difficulties hearing/understanding you because of the your Nigerian accent, so speak clearly and slowly, especially when you introduce yourself and say your indigenous (Yoruba/Igbo/Hausa/etc.) name.
Key point: Show that you’re well groomed and prepare for the opportunity.

7. Show evidence: If you have evidence of your work; show it. This may be through a newsletter, magazine, a report or product. You don’t have to bring a big prototype of your project or the child you sponsor in school to the meeting. Be reasonable about this.
Key point: Leave them with an impression beyond the interview.

8. Don’t be desperate: Don’t appear desperate. Once the panellists see any sign of desperation in you, you may not be considered. Be calm and value-focused. Demonstrate how participating in the program will help you achieve more in the work you do. Talk about collaborations and partnerships. You don’t have to talk about your expectation to get funds in America.
Keypoint: Prove you love your country more than America.

Best!

Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni Association Of Nigeria

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by Royalty1(m): 12:29pm On Jan 23, 2016
Lovely tips. Still waiting for my invite.
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by bamdexfarms(m): 5:20pm On Jan 23, 2016
@royalty are they still sending invites? I applied also but am yet to receive a mail. Although I am based in Ibadan. Are they sending the interview invites in batches?
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by GideonG(m): 10:18pm On Jan 24, 2016
I am a semi-finalist from Gombe, interview to be done in Jos. Success is ours by the special grace of God! Amen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by donestk(m): 8:31am On Jan 25, 2016
Wish u success

GideonG:
I am a semi-finalist from Gombe, interview to be done in Jos. Success is ours by the special grace of God! Amen.

1 Like

Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nedu86(m): 8:45am On Jan 25, 2016
Also scheduled for Jos.

1 Like

Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by GideonG(m): 10:10pm On Jan 25, 2016
donestk:
Wish u success
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nanaman(m): 9:22am On Jan 28, 2016
nedu86:
Also scheduled for Jos.

How was your interview?
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nanaman(m): 9:23am On Jan 28, 2016
GideonG:

How was your interview?
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by GideonG(m): 6:55am On Jan 29, 2016
nanaman:

How was your interview?
My interview is next week. I'll gist u. May God help us
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 6:43am On Feb 01, 2016
My Interview's Tomorrow!

Preparing/inventing words!
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by GideonG(m): 9:42am On Feb 01, 2016
MAROC:
My Interview's Tomorrow!

May God be with you bro! Success all the way. Let's spend summer in America and be leaders that we are. Best of the best.

1 Like

Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nedu86(m): 8:24pm On Feb 01, 2016
Same here!

MAROC:
My Interview's Tomorrow!

Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nedu86(m): 8:24pm On Feb 01, 2016
Success wishes to us!
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 8:37pm On Feb 01, 2016
nedu86:
Same here!

Oga mi what's your venue and time?
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nedu86(m): 8:56pm On Feb 01, 2016
Jos

MAROC:
Oga mi what's your venue and time?
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by GideonG(m): 9:08pm On Feb 01, 2016
My time is 12:30 at that hotel in Rayfield, near gov't house.
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by GideonG(m): 9:09pm On Feb 01, 2016
My time is 12:30 at that hotel in Rayfield, near gov't house. Jtown here I come.
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nedu86(m): 9:27pm On Feb 01, 2016
8am here. Hope ur in town now?

GideonG:
My time is 12:30
at that hotel in Rayfield, near gov't house. Jtown here I come.
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 4:19am On Feb 02, 2016
nedu86:
Jos

date and time...?

Mine's Today by 10am
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nedu86(m): 7:33am On Feb 02, 2016
8am

MAROC:
date and time...?

Mine's Today by 10am
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 02, 2016
nedu86:
8am

Oga you not much of a talker right?

I asked about the Date too...
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by nky1978: 10:17am On Feb 02, 2016
Office space in the federal capital territory of nigeria (abuja) for the prize of 15000 naira monthly. Very exquisite located in the heart of abuja wuse2. Tranquil and reputable, ready to use serviced office with a ready wifi and all administrative activities rendered! If you're interested please call 08023607885

1 Share

Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by engrzion(m): 11:49am On Feb 04, 2016
I AM SCHEDULED FOR PORTHACOURT, ON WEDNESDAY WHO ELSE IS IN PORTHARCHOURT
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by davosky3: 4:42am On Feb 05, 2016
Bro, I am also scheduled for Port Harcourt on the 12th. How do we meet? @engrzion
engrzion:
I AM SCHEDULED FOR PORTHACOURT, ON WEDNESDAY WHO ELSE IS IN PORTHARCHOURT
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by davosky3: 4:47am On Feb 05, 2016
Please any tips from those who went for the interview?
Re: Mandela Washington Fellowship: Successful Applicants Let's Meet Here by GideonG(m): 10:32pm On Feb 05, 2016
davosky3:
Please any tips from those who went for the interview?

Have faith and be confident, show your passion and enthusiasm, convince them that you really want to impart on ur community. This is exactly what I did during my interview in Jos 3rd feb, 2016. Hoping to meet you in US embassy before departure.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Become A Political Analyst? / Women Sabotaging Women, A Case Of The Glass Ceiling / Lagos BRT Drivers: We Can’t Drive On Empty Stomachs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.