Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,301 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Boko Haram Civilian Death Rate: Is The Height Of The Insurgency Over? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Civilian Death Rate: Is The Height Of The Insurgency Over? (1044 Views)

Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness / Calling Niger Deltans "Ignorant And Helpless" Is The Height Of Cluelessness / If The Insurgency Were Happening In The East. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Civilian Death Rate: Is The Height Of The Insurgency Over? by LRNZH(m): 5:37pm On Jan 22, 2016
Below is a chart showing Boko Haram Civilian Death rate between Sept. 2010 to April 2014:

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27412057

Considering that this covers GEJ's administration era, it would be informative to have such a chart by April 2016.

Judging by what is going on in the news these days, the successes being recorded by the Nigeria Military in the NE theatre of war, I am confident that the numbers of civilian deaths due to Boko Haram has significantly reduced.

Also, between 2010 and early 2015, Newspaper dailies headlines about the insurgency were always
"Boko Haram sacks ________ kills 50!"
"Boko Haram attacks ___________ Barracks, carts away weaponry"
"Soldiers abandon APC vehicles on sighting Boko Haram"
(you can fill in the blanks)
Here's are a few examples:

[img]http://s2.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20150116&t=2&i=1016910015&w=644&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&sq=&r=LYNXMPEB0F103[/img]

[img]http://image.isu.pub/140902234525-ce159cd45e474e5a27549968a8ec7e79/jpg/page_1_thumb_large.jpg[/img]

In fact, at some point the GEJ government was misled into thinking that it had reached a deal with Boko Haram at the height of the insurgency.

When the Chibok girls were abducted, the CDS under GEJ, Ihejerika claimed that the military have freed many of the girls
[img]http://www.iol.co.za/polopoly_fs/iol-afr-nigeria-violence-0429-11-1.1851836!/image/1016114099.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_730/1016114099.jpg[/img]

Without being partisan, I think Nigeria has recorded significant progress in quelling the insurgency in the NE compared to the GEJ administration era. We no longer have such screaming headlines in Nigeria dailies about Boko Haram's terrorising and marauding Nigerian territory's. We can deduct that the number of civilians being killed in the NE has drastically reduced which is the crux of my submission.

Whatever your political leaning, it is still a bit early to declare outright victory against Boko Haram. However, it can be safely projected that by the end of 2016 to early 2017, Boko Haram will be an unwanted and unsavoury history of Nigeria's steps to greatness.

May Nigeria rise again!

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Civilian Death Rate: Is The Height Of The Insurgency Over? by TippyTop(m): 5:51pm On Jan 22, 2016
Take your propaganda to those who have lost children and tell them Boko Haram are no longer killing enough people.

What a skewed rationality? Did prophet almighty Buhari not promise he'd end the insurgency in 3 months?
Re: Boko Haram Civilian Death Rate: Is The Height Of The Insurgency Over? by Anasko(m): 6:07pm On Jan 22, 2016
pmb is making us proud. sai Buhari
Re: Boko Haram Civilian Death Rate: Is The Height Of The Insurgency Over? by teadrake(m): 6:13pm On Jan 22, 2016
I shared in your sentiment. Come to think of it,we no longer have a free ride of boko boys entering market square,worshipping centers and large populace to denote bomb,or let me say there has been a significant improvement from our military in curtailing of the situation. However,
I must commend our military, most especially General Burutai for not sitting in his office and drinking coffee as we had in the ex service chief.
We shall win the war against terror In Sha Allah.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Civilian Death Rate: Is The Height Of The Insurgency Over? by teadrake(m): 6:18pm On Jan 22, 2016
TippyTop:
Take your propaganda to those who have lost children and tell them Boko Haram are no longer killing enough people.

What a skewed rationality? Did prophet almighty Buhari not promise he'd end the insurgency in 3 months?
Didn't you witness any improvement thus far?Winning the War against terror is a gradual process my fellow citizen,PmB must have gave such deadline in order to further stimulate and instigate the importance of it to our military.Boko boys didn't just start bombing at instant, it was a momentarily process act of inhumane.In valor,there's hope.Nice evening

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Civilian Death Rate: Is The Height Of The Insurgency Over? by LRNZH(m): 10:35pm On Jan 22, 2016
I really await an intelligent counter argument that Nigeria has not made significant progress against Boko Haram.

Lalasticlala, Mynd44 do you agree?
Re: Boko Haram Civilian Death Rate: Is The Height Of The Insurgency Over? by Saifullah01: 10:37pm On Jan 22, 2016
I tell you nobody understand this more than us here in the north. Immagine we use to leave in perpetual fear of BH overrunning our cities after hearing their daredevil attacks and occupation of large cities like mubi, yola, etc massacre of over 2000 people in one swoop in baga town. We used to even go out of our houses with ablution (spiritual cleansed state) as Muslims just in case a bomb accidentally goes up were you happen to be passing. Every time my wife goes to the market I had to pray for her safe return. Not to speak of the endless check points and the holdup that go with it.

But now at least we move around here relatively safely, we sleep with our eyes shut, we now pray in peace and although we are not yet there I believe we are getting there. Fire on baba

(1) (Reply)

How We Rigged Fayose Into Office - Ekiti PDP Secretary(tko) / Boko Haram Has Been Scattered, Demoralized And Decimated – Lai Mohammed / Book Written By Ben Bruce Printed And Published In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.