Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,477 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness (35443 Views)

Buhari Has Practically Done Nothing To Grow Nigeria’s Economy - Financial Times / Shiites: Iran Calls Nigeria To Stop Crackdown On Group / Buhari PR Article On Financial Times Paid For By Delta And Cross River State Gov (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by kaboninc(m): 1:40pm On Jan 23, 2016
dearpreye:

Bro, please reply my last PM. Thanks.

Oh shi.t!

Forgive me!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by Yugoos: 1:41pm On Jan 23, 2016
Still reminiscing

2 Likes

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by Alezy(m): 1:51pm On Jan 23, 2016
dearpreye:

I don wait for your own oooo
I reply ur last mail nau, and na ur reply I dey wait.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by kaboninc(m): 2:03pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dee60:
Financial Times may have their arguments but they also just exhibited the HEIGHT OF INTELLECTUAL ARROGANCE. In the matters of Economics no one knows it all. China made their own plan, and India too, in spite of the FT, and they have been able to bail themselves out.

FT knows nothing about the environment here and cannot have answers to Nigeria's problems.

Britian and AMerica are so advanced that you may leave its market to market forces. Not Nigeria! Have they ever seen an economy where the governor of a state can pocket the income of that state? Or where a security adviser can pocket/share budgetteary allocations that should have been used to equip the Army?

What market forces? FT should just admit its ignorance and come down from their lofty heights and high horses.

Devaluation is risky at the moment because it will translate immediately into rise in Petrol prices. Remember we still import Petrol, and you need dollars to fund its import. Imagine that a devalued Naira will mean that Petrol will sell for N150 pump price. Will that not lead to crisis?

CBN has only just said that excessive importation for just anything from toothpicks to human hair is the reason for the pressure on the naira. So, they have curtailed the quest for just anything.

Dangote is smarter than all of FT put together and he once said that restricting import with the list of 41 items is the best economic drive he has seen in Nigeria. Now, we have to make our own ceramic tiles, put on our own Ankara, eat local eggs instead of cheese! Why cant we consume what we can produce?

Nigerians have to change our unbridled taste and appetite for products simply because they are made in 'Other Countries'! When whites come to Africa/Nigeria, they come to make cheap money to take back home. When Nigerians go to their lands, we take boroowed dollars to go and shop for just anything.

Devaluation has only a short term benefit to any economy that is largely consumptive and not productive. If Naira sells for 300 at the official market today, the so called 'smart investors' will rush in funds, scoop the market and walk away to pile pressure for further devaluation!

The average Indian puts on clothes made in India. Why cant we wear Ankara, even to work? Imagine the millions of jobs that will create, and imagine the savings on forex!

True, we cannot isolate our market, but the fact remains also that we cannot contine with unbridled appetite for anything made by 'Uncle Sam'!

Brilliant

1 Like

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by kaboninc(m): 2:04pm On Jan 23, 2016
Alezy:
I reply ur last mail nau, and na ur reply I dey wait.

Wetin you dey tell am?

How him go learn how to razzle woman?
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by baby124: 2:13pm On Jan 23, 2016
The truth is Buhari over segregated the duties of the finance ministry. He took away the planning ministry and the economic aspect of the ministry (trade and investment) from the finance ministry. No one should call Kemi because all she is overseeing in this government is cash flow obviously. Osinbanjo is probably the one to call out as he is the one coordinating all functions. I don't know why Kemi is being blamed. What is the trade and investment minister doing to attract investment? And how has the planning minister planned for our economy?

1 Like

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by tsdarkside(m): 2:17pm On Jan 23, 2016
ferhyntorlah:

Nigeria needs to learn from Malaysia, China, Singapore, India and other countries classified with her in the 60s how they turned their economy around, esp China and India since we share similar population size.

yes,we must learn from them,...from their progress and mistakes they made to progress...nigeria can not risk mistakes to progress...our own is too hot...250 languagies,,,i mean,come onnnnn....
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by tiwiex(m): 2:26pm On Jan 23, 2016
omohayek:

The true mark of cluelessness is blaming Kemi Adeosun for two areas of policy over which she has no control. It takes real ignorance to blame the finance minister for an FX policy which is actually set by Godwin Emefiele, the head of the CBN; she also had no hand in the NSE's difficulties, as the CEO of the Nigerian Stock Exchange is a man named Oscar N. Onyema.

Common. Onyeama cannot manage investor confidence. Neither did he stop Forex which affected manufacturing firms from procuring needing raw materials. The ban on Dom account also cause fx rate to shoot up. Making business quite challenging. It goes beyond Onyeama but I guess too early to blame Adeosun. I think she is too young and inexperienced. She also lacks local knowledge. Her accent is already a turn off.
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by tiwiex(m): 2:35pm On Jan 23, 2016
InLoveWithGod:
This gov't is like a fisher man whose boat is sinking, and instead of trying to save the boat from sinking first he is busy trying to re-catch the fishes that escaped from the boat.

My people, between saving the economy from collapsing and trying to recoup stolen funds, which one should have been the number one priority of this administration?

Your analogy is very correct. I like it. Surprised u have few likes.
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by Alezy(m): 2:37pm On Jan 23, 2016
kaboninc:

Wetin you dey tell am?

How him go learn how to razzle woman?
haha haha haha haha. ...cabo snoop, abeg I no get power to laugh this afternoon.

Make I dey watch the way Liverpool wan take Bleep up
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:47pm On Jan 23, 2016
frankyychiji:
...EdCure and Dropshot too grin
They are at daggers drawn in the other thread. EdCure is now a wailing wailer, Bubu's high-handedness has crippled his business, dropshot and OrlandoOwoh says he must be a beneficiary of Dasukigate grin , infact, Edcure thinks Buhari only takes advice from Northern Elders only grin!! The zombies around there are now wishing Edcure falls down and d...for criticizing their god after eating Aisha's rice!! grin grin grin

Kai! Walahi the roforofo fight no be here ooo
I never quoted ÈdCure let alone disagreeing with him.
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:52pm On Jan 23, 2016
InLoveWithGod:
This gov't is like a fisher man whose boat is sinking, and instead of trying to save the boat from sinking first he is busy trying to re-catch the fishes that escaped from the boat.

My people, between saving the economy from collapsing and trying to recoup stolen funds, which one should have been the number one priority of this administration?
What if the economy is made bouyant, and through corrupt means, it collapses? Jonathan tried to build the economy but didn't fight corruption, as a result people corruptly enrinched themselves. If you ask me, the fight against is proper at the moment.
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jan 23, 2016
tiwiex:

Your analogy is very correct. I like it. Surprised u have few likes.
Well, i'm not after likes/shares and mentions. Just want to express my opinion.
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jan 23, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

What if the economy is made bouyant, and through corrupt means, it collapses? Jonathan tried to build the economy but didn't fight corruption, as a result people corruptly enrinched themselves. If you ask me, the fight against is proper at the moment.

That is your assumption.
Lets face reality. The economy is in bad shape right now mostly due fall in oil price and lack of policy direction and months of neglect by this administration.

We know corruption is to blame for our problems right now but giving 90% attention to the fight against it will not save the economy rigth now.

This govt has to do something very fast.

1 Like

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by jarofbeauty: 3:16pm On Jan 23, 2016
You have said it all.
light004:

It's so painful, when you have insulted the former office holder calling him all sorts of names and promising Nigerians that you are coming to deliver them from your self-created doom. Now, you are in power, you lose steam and keep blaming everybody but yourself. The nation today is worse off than you met it rather then admit your failings you are busy dealing with perceived enemy who are bold enough to look you in the face and speak the truth.

Now, the world is laughing at us wondering how in the hell in the 21st century we elected a dictator to power. Today, majority of Nigerians are suffering like never before, freedom to speak freely is being restricted, people are harassed and intimated when perceived as opposition. Just in 2014, Nigerians took all this for granted and call the man who gave them all these liberty as clueless and incompetence. I believe now, the mean of these words are coming home.

So sad!!!
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by banmee(m): 3:32pm On Jan 23, 2016
omohayek:

The true mark of cluelessness is blaming Kemi Adeosun for two areas of policy over which she has no control. It takes real ignorance to blame the finance minister for an FX policy which is actually set by Godwin Emefiele, the head of the CBN; she also had no hand in the NSE's difficulties, as the CEO of the Nigerian Stock Exchange is a man named Oscar N. Onyema.

Good to know. I didn't know that that Kemi Adeosun reports to Godwin Emefiele and Oscar N. Onyema. Thanks. I am less s.tupid now.

1 Like

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by Olarajee(m): 4:02pm On Jan 23, 2016
omohayek:

God bless you plentifully. Kemi has become an easy target for these peeps unfortunately. Always looking for others to blame.

1 Like

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by Gbawe: 4:05pm On Jan 23, 2016
MrSegunAdewole:
[s][/s]
Rubbish

IPOD loser. Have you issued any empty threats or impotent ultimatum today? Silly creature of hate.

1 Like

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by Splashme: 4:06pm On Jan 23, 2016
Pidggin:
During the presidential media chat economist Buhari insisted that he would never devalue the naira. I bet if someone was bold enough to ask him what he understood by devaluation, he would not have been able to answer the question.

1 Like

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:14pm On Jan 23, 2016
InLoveWithGod:

That is your assumption.
Lets face reality. The economy is in bad shape right now mostly due fall in oil price and lack of policy direction and months of neglect by this administration.

We know corruption is to blame for our problems right now but giving 90% attention to the fight against it will not save the economy rigth now.

This govt has to do something very fast.
Are you in the Presidency to know how the President prioritizes his duties? PMB and his ministers are working on the economy while the EFCC and ICPC are fighting corruption.
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by dadexcel: 4:25pm On Jan 23, 2016
omohayek:

........... My dear not too fast, the last time I checked the minister of fiance of any country is always the fulcrum of all economic decision and policies of that country, in fact he/she advises the president on fiscal and non fiscal policies, she works with the economic planning unit of the state on even the very yearly financial blue print of a state- the budget. So if she is not competent as the world renowned economic magazine has already depicted, so let's not get things twisted, the earlier we tell these guys the truth the better for all of us. We are blessed.

1 Like

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by MrSegunAdewole: 4:25pm On Jan 23, 2016
[s]
Gbawe:

IPOD loser. Have you issued any empty threats or impotent ultimatum today? Silly creature of hate.
[/s]

old man behaving like a kid

Grow some brain please because matured body doesn't mean matured brain cool

ekaro ooo

2 Likes

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by dadexcel: 4:33pm On Jan 23, 2016
banmee:

Good to know. I didn't know that that Kemi Adeosun reports to Godwin Emefiele and Oscar N. Onyema. Thanks. I am less s.tupid now.
........... Lol! Lovely response.... Hilarious in fact.

2 Likes

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by 4Play(m): 4:36pm On Jan 23, 2016
The insistence on non-devaluation and maintaining a peg by the CBN which has exacerbated the problem is based on economic quackery which is traceable to Buharinomics. I say this because the President himself has ruled out devaluation and we had the same currency regime when he was military president leading to a wide margin between the official exchange rate and the market exchange rate. History is simply repeating itself in a country where its people refused to learn from history.

I would love Emefiele to be nudged out of his job, partly because it will highlight that the ultimate source of the policy inflexibility is the President. It is not a coincidence that we had 2 devaluations before May 29 and none since then. The CBN governor is in any case a morally compromised person as it's inconceivable that he is not implicated in the Dasuki scandal. This robs him of the capacity to make a principled stance and do what is right for the country instead of kowtowing to his political masters.

Another issue that I find amusing is how Sanusi has escaped blame for the country's present currency problems. You often hear people ask why GEJ did not increase reserves despite high oil prices but the foreign reserves for much of his tenure was managed by Sanusi who we are told is a man of principle. I pointed out many times on Nairaland during Sanusi's tenure that he was making grave policy errors by maintaining a stable exchange rate at the cost of a failure to accumulate reserves in the event of an oil price crash. Had the Naira been allowed to drift lower in the past, we would not have had to experience such a sharp adjustment and would be going into this crisis with more reserves in the kitty.

The roots of our problem ultimately come down to policy ineptitude and whether we like it or not, a failure to come to grips with sound economic policies appropriate for a modern globalised economic era will continue to prove our downfall.

4 Likes

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by mrmetoo1: 4:39pm On Jan 23, 2016
The quicker people realize there's no sexy way out of this mess, the better. Basically, what this article is suggesting is devaluation. I'm not sure if Nigerians are ready for at least N500=$1. Do these guys understand how it'll affect the commodity market? Nigeria needs to shore up local production, manufacturers, farmers should be given priority over anyone when sourcing for fx. Anyway we'll see with time
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by Chubhie: 5:08pm On Jan 23, 2016
MrSegunAdewole:
[s][/s]

old man behaving like a kid

Grow some brain please because matured body doesn't mean matured brain cool

ekaro ooo
Imagine that resident lie Mohammed defending this shameless government! take a look at his signature and see hypocrisy wearing make up.
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by MrSegunAdewole: 5:12pm On Jan 23, 2016
Chubhie:

Imagine that resident lie Mohammed defending this shameless government! take a look at his signature and see hypocrisy wearing make up.
gbawe is just dull
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by Olaone1: 5:16pm On Jan 23, 2016
hmmm
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by onatisi(m): 5:17pm On Jan 23, 2016
All I will say now is that .

" Nigerians will learn the hard bitter way"

1 Like

Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by Chubhie: 5:20pm On Jan 23, 2016
MrSegunAdewole:
gbawe is just dull
The protection giver is to discerning minds most pitiable.
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by ImpactWorld(m): 5:20pm On Jan 23, 2016
omohayek:

À competent Minister of Finance, who automatically is the coordinating minister for the economy, can influence the decisions of the central bank.
Re: Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness by onatisi(m): 5:23pm On Jan 23, 2016
2 years ago,we were giving warnings about apc states and their high level of borrowings ,we warned about the recklessness of aregbesola in osun state only for some dumb foools to shout us down then that osun was the best performing state ,fast forward 2 years and osun state today is totally bankrupt and owing over 4 months salaries arrears of workers.
Now many have started warning about this government policies and its potential retrogressive impacts on the nation. But Nigerians wont listen ,all that their ears are tuned to now is corruption ,metuh and pdp .
2 years from now ,we shall see the results

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fake Commissioner Receives Salaries For Two Years In Niger / Prophet Oluyemi Says Who Nigeria's Messiah Is-a Must Read! / PDP Exonerates APC, Tinubu In Toyin Saraki’s EFCC Ordeal, Says PDP Behind Probe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.