Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,960 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:53 PM

Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee (19892 Views)

More Of Your Rights As An Employee / Here Is The Worst Thing You Can Do As An Employee / The Query Letter Given To An Employee Of Toro LGA, Bauchi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by aprokomania(m): 5:57pm On Jan 23, 2016
More often than not, the internet is flooded with information on reasons why every one should be entrepreneurs. While I do not doubt that it is necessary that more people embrace self employment, it is also necessary for people to have an open mind towards employment and look at the pros and cons of both before delving to start the next Microsoft. The following are reasons why there should be more people in employment than there are now.

1 LESS RISK
Granted, it is a a fact that there are risks to being in paid employment, however, you are more likely to retain your job than a business start-up is to thrive in the market.. Statistically speaking, 90 percent of start ups are bound to close in the first five years of existence. In fact, by its very definition, an entrepreneur is one who is willing to take risks.
TIP, think of this-its almost always news when a company lays off a number of workers but it gets no mention when the same number of business start-ups or SMEs close down.

2 DEFINED WORK HOURS
It is an obvious advantage for many employees that their work hour is defined. Usually, right from your employment you are told when you will be needed to work, and often times, you get paid for any extra time spent. For an entrepreneur however, work hours are usually not defined as they have to work around the clock to ensure that the business goes smoothly.

3 DEFINED CAREER PATH
Also, being in paid employment in most cases offers you an opportunity to rise to the top of the ladder. It is expected that if you spend a certain amount of time, or put in extra effort on a job, you ought to get promoted as often as possible till you get to the pinnacle of your career. For a business owner, the career path is not defined, as your rise to the top is solely dependent on how well your business does. If it crashes, you burn with it.

4 DEFINED PAY
Related to the above point is the fact that with your rise to the top of the corporate ladder, your pay is defined as you go along. In most corporate environments, there is a fixed salary scale which serves as a guide for payment. This is an advantage because it can help the employee plan and make adequate budget for the month under review. An entrepreneur in most cases does not have this advantage because his take home pay is dependent on the amount of effort put in to the business. Fluctuations in monthly income is usually the case.

5 SOMEONE HAS TO DO IT
This point is pretty much self explanatory. Imagine if everyone of us owned a business, who then would be the workers to carry out the running of said business? That being said, who then should be an entrepreneur and who should be a worker? We examine that in the next point.

6 NOT EVERYONE CAN START A BUSINESS
An entrepreneur is someone who has developed the strength of character and resolve of will to be a leader and a go getter in the business world. Not every one possesses the innate ability to own a business. Several people have tried to set up shop and failed at it, perhaps that explains why there are so many businesses that end up comatose.

7 SPECIAL EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
Most companies have special packages to see to their employees welfare. Such packages include leaves, paid vacations, as well as healthcare and child support. While it is not a hard and fast rule for all companies, there are many of such advantages in paid employment. For most start ups actually, such fringe benefits are not applicable. It is not only the case with start ups however, but even established business owners usually do not bother to claim such special benefits for themselves as most have to see to the running of their business enterprises daily.

8 NARROWER RANGE OF SKILLS NEEDED
As an employee, you are usually employed to fill a particular need. For example, you may be employed in accounts, IT, or admin. Hence, your specialization is only needed in your field. For a business owner however, and especially with start ups, they have to be proficient in a whole range of skills and abilities as they usually are solely responsible for running and ensuring the success of their business.

9 OPPORTUNITY TO DIVERSIFY
As an employee in an organization, you can decide to pursue other job opportunities if you are not satisfied with your lot in a company. You can even decide to augment your income with other sources such as a business by the side of your main employment. An entrepreneur however must better his lot within the confines of his occupation.

10 OPPORTUNITY FOR LEARNING
Last but not the least is that you have the opportunity to learn more about how organizations are run, as well as other aspects of the job that will come in handy if you do decide to start your own business later.
So there you have it. While we do not mean to discourage people from starting up their businesses, it is ideal that you properly weigh the advantages and disadvantages before you delve into it. What do you think? You can have your say in www.hoomadeit.com/2016/01/ten-reasons-why-you-should-be-employee.html?m=1 comment section below.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by stephano100(m): 6:48pm On Jan 23, 2016
these are valid points!!!
FTC..finally

5 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by odinese(m): 10:11pm On Jan 24, 2016
Yeah cool..... Ain't working under anybody thou.

Pray y'all working under somebody be like me . ONEDAY!!!

12 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by peacengine(m): 10:11pm On Jan 24, 2016
Na true u talk so. For pipo wen no dey hear word, If you still wan do your own business, make sure say na business wen no depend on lite.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by Kreamie(m): 10:11pm On Jan 24, 2016
One key point --------------> EXPERIENCE

5 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by dandydrey(m): 10:12pm On Jan 24, 2016
Valid only to those who can't take risks..

*Modified

Topic should rather be "Ten Excuses you can give if u don't wanna be an employer".

Entrepreneurship ti take over o.. don't dull

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by stanley99a(m): 10:13pm On Jan 24, 2016
Low mind thinking undecided

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by mcfynest(m): 10:13pm On Jan 24, 2016
Fiod.

Want to get wears at affordable prizes Visit

https://www.nairaland.com/2859348/quality-unisex-wears-affordable-prizes#42299872

And you will be amazed
Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by xenalollah: 10:14pm On Jan 24, 2016
Nice one
Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by tiamiyukunle69(m): 10:14pm On Jan 24, 2016
It'll only work for you if your employer is not draining you.......I prefer to be my own boss sha.....I want to take risks.....

10 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by coolhamid(m): 10:15pm On Jan 24, 2016
This is what I call bullshit, stop bringing out reasons to be an employee where there's none..
Why will a man settle for less ?
You can choose to be an employee for the rest of your life, but stop advising people to remain an employee like you.

Why not work hard to become an employer of labour ?

17 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by HARKKEEEM(m): 10:15pm On Jan 24, 2016
It's aiit... waiting for a counter-tred '10 reasons to be an employer' sad

1 Like

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by dandydrey(m): 10:16pm On Jan 24, 2016
stanley99a:
Low mind thinking undecided
I swear

11 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by Boy101(m): 10:16pm On Jan 24, 2016
You really do need experience

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by Johncuppa(m): 10:16pm On Jan 24, 2016
May God have His way and leads us aright

6 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by Moneyyy: 10:17pm On Jan 24, 2016

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by Jalubarika(m): 10:17pm On Jan 24, 2016
I don't pray to be here in 5 years time. Everyday I think of something like 'how'd I use to strength of my youth to enrich someone who pays peanut. OP you are off point.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by singles4connect: 10:21pm On Jan 24, 2016
Sorry OP, If Dangote, Bill Gates, Michael Adenuga or Femi Otedola thinks the way you are thinking, where would the jobs be? We just needs to leave the comfort of our paying jobs and take the risk by being an employer so that more people can be employed through us and wealth also created.

No nation grows with this kind of mentality. Sorry if am too harsh

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by holluwai(m): 10:21pm On Jan 24, 2016
I'll employ myself tomorrow. I'm mailing my CV to my address now.
wink

4 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by ronald4lif(m): 10:22pm On Jan 24, 2016
Yea and become an eternal slave to the fat cats and corperate bosses. No thanks. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by dinggle: 10:22pm On Jan 24, 2016
You can not achieve your full potentials by working under someone. You should take risk and be independent, Africa is virgin with info technology....put in the hard work and sacrifice and I promise you wont regret it.
Remember!... if you fail in your first attempt don't give up, make a 2nd, 3rd, 4th.... attempts.

http://www.Facekobo.com - Connect | Share | Advertise

3 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by ojochidem(m): 10:22pm On Jan 24, 2016
OP. The points you raised are for an IDEAL situation. Unfortunately, the reality in most Nigerian companies is a far cry from the points you noted.
Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by oye9ja(m): 10:23pm On Jan 24, 2016
You must be a new type of servant from heaven. Laziness dey affect u oga OP

3 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by Dabigbroda(m): 10:23pm On Jan 24, 2016
ok
Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by oye9ja(m): 10:24pm On Jan 24, 2016
dinggle:
You can not achieve your full potentials by working under someone. You should take risk and be independent, Africa is virgin with info technology....put in the hard work and sacrifice and I promise you wont regret it.
Remember!... if you fail in your first attempt don't give up, make a 2nd, 3rd, 4th.... attempts.

http://www.Facekobo.com - Connect | Share | Advertise

You wan become legend of the at tempers
Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jan 24, 2016
Very good points. What does a 24 year old graduate know to start a self employment. You will only limit how far you can go in life. You need a period of apprenticeship. A period when you are humbled and undergo development. A good employment can transform your life and give you a solid foundation in life. I thank God my early employment completely transformed my life. With some years in an accountancy firm, Today myself and my family are british citizens with loads of achievement which I would not have achieved if I have to be my own boss. It is worth it. You can still find a good employment out there.

5 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by APCcrimesHD: 10:26pm On Jan 24, 2016
I'm sure OP owns a business...He is just trying to discourage some people from venting into business...After all, if everybody is a boss, who go be "omo ise"?? grin

1 Like

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by Vicben(m): 10:29pm On Jan 24, 2016
Lesson learnt
Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by Smellymouth: 10:29pm On Jan 24, 2016
For the lazy peeps tho.. undecided
Bin a boss rocks!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by ladenz(m): 10:32pm On Jan 24, 2016
There is an increasing number of people who are doing both. Many employees are starting their own businesses and making it both ways. It's the safest path. If your business grows enough to sustain itself you can quit your job

4 Likes

Re: Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee by Johncuppa(m): 10:35pm On Jan 24, 2016
toyetade:
Very good points. What does a 24 year old graduate know to start a self employment. You will only limit how far you can go in life. You need a period of apprenticeship. A period when you are humbled and undergo development. A good employment can transform your life and give you a solid foundation in life. I thank God my early employment completely transformed my life. With some years in an accountancy firm, Today myself and my family are british citizens with loads of achievement which I would not have achieved if I have to be my own boss. It is worth it. You can still find a good employment out there.
Thank God for ur life

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pilot Vs Soldier: Ladies, Which Of These Jobs Would You Choose? (Photos) / Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? / #nairalife: The Makeup Artist Staying Hopeful At ₦50k/month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.