Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

Problems Hosting A Site I Registered - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Problems Hosting A Site I Registered (879 Views)

5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner / Hosting A Forum / Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by meekas(m): 5:12pm On Jun 25, 2009
Can somebody pls. tell me what's happening? i registered a new domain name last week and it's been confirmed but i was not given any password or login or am i doing something wrong here? someone pls help out
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by yawatide(f): 5:36pm On Jun 25, 2009
I dunno how naija hosts work but typically, you get a "welcome" email with that info. Check your spam folder, just in case.
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by midje(m): 10:17pm On Jun 25, 2009
Domain name registration is different from hosting. Where you do a domain name registration, you need to get a hosting company to host the website for you. The hosting company will give you the FTP details you need to host and then, all you have to do is point the domain name to that hosting space.

Try www.smarterhost.net; they are very reliable and their pricing is the cheapest i have seen.

In addition, they have a very strong customer support available via yahoo chat.

Hope this serves.
Cheers
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by Ife007(m): 11:14am On Jun 26, 2009
What about this one;

www.web4africa.com.ng
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by meekas(m): 11:40am On Jun 26, 2009
@yawatide they didn't send to me any welcome email. all i was sent is my billing info.
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by yawatide(f): 12:06pm On Jun 26, 2009
Okay in that case, use that info to contact them, even if it means going to their office and/or taking the police there, if necessary.

Good luck to you as you resolve your issue.
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jun 26, 2009
police to get a domain name back? here in Naija, u need to pay a policeman before they can leave their station. Minimum is 500 naira

and considering the fact that the poster definitely wont look like a struggling pawper to them, get prepared to drop 1500 naira equivalent to the cost of a domain name.

Cant u find a phone number on their website? if none, then why purchase on such site in the first place?
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by bug24(m): 11:09am On Jun 27, 2009
@YAWA, tongue DID U JUST SAY POLICE?
do get a domain name back?
u seem to have been away for too long that u think our police and urs ova there have the same orientation.
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by DualCore1: 12:22pm On Jun 27, 2009
the police go first arrest u for registering a domain without police clearance
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by yawatide(f): 12:30pm On Jun 27, 2009
dual:
good one LOL

bug24:
I was actually there last, 2 years ago. Besides, though I am not there physically, I am very, very much on ground, probably moreso than you who is there, I can assure you. wink

Lord willing, I should be there this year. I try to make it a bi-annual affair wink
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jun 27, 2009
Dual Core:

the police go first arrest u for registering a domain without police clearance

lol,  that reminds me of a day i was stopped by our Nigerian Police.
they were 3, one said, "open his computer very well, that boy is yahoo yahoo, i know them very well." (looking at me and calling me a boy?)

he replied, "i am checking it"

the 3rd said, "na inside recycle bin u go go, na there dem dey keep am"

the dude navigated into my recycle bin successfully and how ignorant of him to attempt opening the file directly without restoring it.

"the file no dey open, e be like say e don password am."

Honestly, if u check them, they dont even know what they are looking for, our boiz need training.
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by yawatide(f): 11:40am On Jun 28, 2009
he he webdezzi,I wonder how many of them know that the NPF has a website.
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jun 28, 2009
lol yawa, i was forced to google and i found

nigeriapolice.com

but something sounds funny with that name, nigeriapolice or nigerianpolice?
although when u try pronouncing both, u almost get confused, but try this britainpolice or britishpolice?

ask me, they should include the word "force", maybe thenigerianpoliceforce.com
i would av loved to grab that domain, raise the awareness and sell it for $3000 but my permutation says NO!
they av 24+ alternatives including .ng extensions.
aagh! maybe next time
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by yawatide(f): 1:59am On Jun 29, 2009
webdezzi, interesting - I happened to google and found these 2 sites:

http://www.nigeriapolice.org/
http://police.gov.ng/

I am more inclined to go with the .gov.ng one though.

Kai! Upon all d N20 these guys dey take for bribe, dem no fit put up better website shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by midje(m): 8:28am On Jun 29, 2009
yawa and all in the house, your responses are not helping this guy. Domain name registration and hosting are not the same thing. He registered a domain name does not mean he has hosted the domain name. FTP details comes with hosting and not domain registration; all he can do is to point the domain to which ever company is hosting it.

Let me educate you a little. When u register a domain name for say N1500,N2000 or N3000, the next thing you need to do is buy a 50MB, 200MB, 1000MB or so hosting space. This gives you the FTP details and email features.

Start a chat with smarterhost@yahoo.com; thats the online support ID for www.smarterhost.net; they are one of the best hosting service in Nigeria. They could help you identify your needs and address your concern at no cost.

Best of luck
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by meekas(m): 12:08pm On Jun 29, 2009
This is not my first time of hosting on their server. i have sent them an email already but still waiting for a reply.
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by DualCore1: 2:24pm On Jun 29, 2009
agba007:

imagine my clients on my neck making it look as if i frauded them. i just hosted a site on friday and on saturday no show. na wa o. dis rebranding of nigeria go work so?
i can host ur female clients at little or no cost at all on my server tongue tongue
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by Nobody: 6:55am On Jun 30, 2009
Dual core, I have many female clients, how about i host them with you.
most in their late 90s
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by DualCore1: 8:02am On Jun 30, 2009
webdezzi:

Dual core, I have many female clients, how about i host them with you.
most in their late 90s

let's talk on a secure line grin
see my siggy
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by rojad(m): 4:04pm On Jul 04, 2009
We can help you. check our site rojadhost.net or call 07029476829
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by meekas(m): 9:29am On Jul 06, 2009
Thank you peeps. the problem has been resolved.
Re: Problems Hosting A Site I Registered by midje(m): 8:51am On Jul 07, 2009
Happy to hear that! But pls tell us what the problem really was so that others can learn from it. smiley wink

(1) (Reply)

How To Integrate Credit Card In Nigeria Website / Quiz: How Do You Bypass. . .(not The Spam Bot Again This Time) / Weddingdresssonlineshop.co.uk - Chineses Company Mainly Selling Poor Quality Wedding Dresses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.