Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,672 members, 7,809,556 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal (10582 Views)

Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal / Cost Of Designing A Website With Online Payment Platform / What Is The Cost Of Designing A Website? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by Imnakoya(m): 7:02pm On Jul 23, 2005
Web Cost Inquiry

Would anyone know the approximate cost (designing and hosting) for building a web portal similar to this:  http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/ ?

Would you know how long it would take to complete?

If there are any solid web-designers, in-house, and in Nigeria, please id yourself via my email. This is a potential business opportunity. Let talk.

Thanks, Seun, for the kind gesture.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by kazey(m): 7:29pm On Jul 23, 2005
First of all, the designed you showed has some um, is not professional. But yes something better than that can be achieved. That would cost reasonably arround 300 USD, without a content manager, just the basic custom made template, professional looking and it would be browser compliant.

With a content manager, i am going to use an open source software for that so i would charge another extra 150 USD to blend it.

This would make a total of 450 USD. I am more of customizing guy, you can check my blog out for an example of my customized blog. and also you can feel free pm me for more urls.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by Hunter(m): 4:49am On Jul 24, 2005
There are many great open source portal's as well (I use phpnuke for my site) The real cost comes in at hosting, depending in traffic it can skyrocket to several hundered dollars a month (even thousands)
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by Imnakoya(m): 6:29am On Jul 24, 2005
Hidden_Hunter : I couldn't access your site on Sunday, 24 July 2005 @ 05:28:50 GMT
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by kazey(m): 10:39am On Jul 24, 2005
Php nuke ? grin common man, there are better content managers out there.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by Hunter(m): 11:22am On Jul 24, 2005
Imnakoya thats to do with the fact the server also host an IRC daemon on it, the space is provided to me for free so I can't complain.

It appears to be working all fine atm. smiley

UPDATE: Hmm there is some major outage problems with sprint at the moment. It would seem (at least for us (the problem is caused by a dead router in the states) that could have affected it.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by obong(m): 10:48pm On Jul 24, 2005
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by kazey(m): 12:20am On Jul 25, 2005
ok thats what we are talking about. That is professional, with the touch.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by Imnakoya(m): 1:19pm On Jul 25, 2005
It seems we are going off on a tangent!

The post is an inquiry on:

Cost of building and hosting a very good site for Nigerian use, and

The web-designer preferably should be in Nigeria.

This site: http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/default.htm, is good. The site I want to build can incorporate the touch and all the jazz, if you can help or have an idea drop me a mail please.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by Hunter(m): 4:24am On Jul 27, 2005
Also it's worth noting nigeria isn't the best place to have your data centre located wink
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by smartsoft(m): 3:30pm On Jul 27, 2005
Hidden what made you feel so
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by Seun(m): 8:04pm On Jul 27, 2005
Cost of bandwidth is just too high.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by Hunter(m): 10:14pm On Jul 27, 2005
cost of bandwidth, reliability, connections to the outside, most sat net customers peer into europe or the US anyway.

ps, I found out apache was doing something really dodgy on my website (randomly spawning it's self -- so it had launched 500 odd times, needless to say it's all fixed up and speed isn't a problem anymore wink )
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by joftech(m): 10:34pm On Jul 27, 2005
Can someone tell me the reason why most "Design in Nigeria" websites always look alike.

Mostly they look so unprofessional. But this http://www.tinapa.com seems to be OK to me but i don't know if it's design in Nigeria.

I think it's time Nigerian webmasters know that it's better not to have any graphics than to have badly designed graphics that are also bandwidth hog.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by kazey(m): 11:13pm On Jul 27, 2005
It is designed and hosted by Gendel. A South African Company. http://www.gendel.com/webfiles/html/home/home.asp
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by joftech(m): 1:22am On Jul 28, 2005
kazey, thanks for that. Even the tell-tale signs (those spikes) are there already. grin
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by skima(m): 5:46am On Aug 15, 2005
Since have known Xoops, its been an open source choice of mine. Its used on www.portalnigeria.com and more i used it on one of my site. www.ogbaonnet.com . Get some1 to costumize it. Or if u think its not to your taste, I can help u start from scratch. Highly secured portal though.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by smartsoft(m): 10:21am On Aug 17, 2005
Hmmmmmmmm Skimaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nice thing though
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by kazey(m): 3:28pm On Aug 17, 2005
Xoops official site was hacked last time if I am not mistaken. And its full of bugs. The best content Open Source Manager so far is either wordpress which is used for blogging and can be configured to manage a website. or drupal a Php based content manager. They are both well featured, supported well, secured, widespread used and can be tweaked to achieve any content rendering. Be it news or just plain content.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by ijebu(m): 1:36pm On Nov 12, 2005
One mans food is another mans poision, wordpress is not regarded by experts as one of the best open source CMS, It depends on what you like, Mambo/Joomla, Zope, Typo3 are even better rated than Wordpress.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by brushparke(m): 12:16pm On Dec 05, 2005
Hey, i think you don't just need a portal.if you need a poral let it be a portal.For me i can just fix it at $375 us dollars.with ofcourse all that you'll need in a protal.What's more?over 20Gigs disk space and 300Gigs bandwith.See www.uploadyourpic.com
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by Afam(m): 11:50am On Dec 09, 2005
www.justwebservices.com can setup a web portal similar to or better than the Lagos State website.

However, the minimum amount for such government and large business website is N450,000.00.

A complete simple to use content management system coupled with high availability servers remains what we guarantee.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:21am On Jan 08, 2006
Nna men.. i for wan talk but fear dey catch me.. all of una na big tam gurus for GNU , opensauce and php.. Nna men. .

I go design de portal with ASP,MS SQL and with de helep of some server-side components finish am make e look like askmen.com or anytinwey dey like yankee product
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by joftech(m): 4:26am On Jan 08, 2006
Nna men.. i for wan talk but fear dey catch me.. all of una na big tam gurus for GNU , opensauce and php.. Nna men. .

I go design de portal with ASP,MS SQL and with de helep of some server-side components finish am make e look like askmen.com or anytinwey dey like yankee product

Am sorry. Does that make any sense?
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:06am On Jan 08, 2006
Nope.. Cost of Designing and hosting a Good Web Portal?!

Varies... anywhere between N15,000 to N5,000,000 depends on what you intend to do with it

Unless you want to match functionality for functionality and feature for feature with http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/ I'd gve you a N150,000 bill to do it on Win2k3 platform ASP or .NET

But if you have a more richer vision, then you will need to review your requirements specifically and
do a brief that addresses

1: what is the purpose
2: how is content going to be sourced, managed and updated
3: what host to use, shared or dedicated etc
4: what technologies, Opensource or Commercial
5: suport and maintenance.. costs and availability
6: revenue building strategy...
just a short list.if you are looking in this direction, you will have

Also what exactly are your goals. even the lagos state "portal"  (that term is soo used and abused) has goals.. is to deliver customized content, search engine, education, health, would you be offering personalized services, would there be paid advertising, free SMS. community forum etc

A portal is different from a simple website (with pages and links to about us, our products etc) it must have a well thought-out business strategy If you have not done that already, Consultancy will cost you to do good research into the Industry you are targetting, likely customer-base and revenues etc

What I have mentioned are simply features and functionalities that portals have in common.
That is a good place to start, a general layout (web design) can be done for really low low cost, like $200 or N30,000.. if anyone tells you you can get the rest of the portal within $500, they must be using open-source but i doubt they will render service on a volunteer basis

Like i said, depends on your level of sophistication.. reliable hosting can go for at least N10,000 pa or N100,000 dedicated Server.

Just look at a minimum of N300,000 for something better than http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/ or N1m for something like AOL http://www.aol.com I am not saying AOl built their site for that amount oh..
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by degs: 3:40pm On Feb 17, 2006
Hi guy, just saw ur request on the cost for design and hosting a robust web portal with the functionalities of the url u gave. Must say that u got the right guy here! (no kidding). do me a mail via logbeide@yahoo and i'll give u the breakdown and send u some links so u could also check out some of our portal jobs already up on the net.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by ayobamioke(m): 6:19pm On Feb 22, 2006
I hardly write replies to articles posted in web fora but I've found this extremely irresistible.
As an upcoming web(master?) I've picked up information here in two weeks than I have in the previous six years of my live. Thanks all for your willingness to share.
That's not to say I've not seen some cockfights, egotrips and electronic bigmanism. It's been wondrful with u guys.
Tweaking Xoops and Drupal is the next acquired project. I've always been a an artist with a cosing streak, so all previous projects had always been built ground-up. It may be wisdom to take your tips as a life-saving, or maybe life-extending elixir.
4give the turenshi, my grandfather is the queen of england grin.
Keep talking guys. Keep fighting too. Remove your shirts, throw monitors. Whatever you do pls, keep talking-my mouth is wide open swallowing!
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by alexis(m): 9:43pm On Feb 28, 2006
Hey - I can setup the a PHP CMS for you for $400 - I will use limbo, mambo or joomla, they are run on the same engine and well supported, pretty stable and rocks well. I built a similar project for one of the biggest management schools in Ghana http://www.gimpa.edu.gh/home/gimpa.

So CMS setup - $400
Design and content - $400
Images acquisition & editing - $200
Monthly hosting - $20 - I will give you the whole nine yards - php, mysql, perl, 50 email accounts, webmail, pop, imap and smtp access etc.

If you want me to only setup the CMS and host it for you, no sweat, if you want me to setup on any server, no wahala either. If you are interested, let me know
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by mrph: 7:26pm On Jan 27, 2010
Im searching for some 1 to customise a wordpress template for me with CMS

PM me pls if u can
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by james85: 7:42am On Feb 10, 2012
Currently I am using VPS Hosting. Its Virtual Server are fully-scalable. Unlike a traditional dedicated server, we can dynamically assign additional RAM, CPU and storage to your virtual machine.
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by spydeer(m): 2:21pm On Sep 17, 2015
mrph:
Im searching for some 1 to customise a wordpress template for me with CMS

PM me pls if u can

I can customise any CMS, No bragging though but the truth is am Wordpress Pro, some sites I have biult>http://www.springplacehall.com/
http://www.gaffmultimedia.com
call +2347066909980

Note-For you to be good at webdesign and internet, you are suppose to have the eye for good graphics, Photography, writing skills, Branding and be a friend to search engines
Re: Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal by Muritala2015(m): 1:24pm On Mar 01, 2016
I recommend http://webdevelopmentacademy.afrikgold.net. visit the site, it will be helpful

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Proven Ways To Drive Traffic To Your Website. / Instagram Now Has The Right To Sell Your Photos / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Using An Online Payment Gateway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.