Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,111 members, 7,818,318 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore (24494 Views)

5 Warning Tyre Signs You Should Not Ignore / 10 Signs You Need A New Car / 7 Car Maintenance Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by leeyack: 12:13pm On Jan 24, 2016
7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore

A Slapping Noise
This kind of indicates a dying tire. Its tread is separating from the body of the tire. it may turn into a giant steel-reinforced Weed Eater. It can cause massive. This could cause severe damage to the body and cars framework. Ignoring this kind of sound is doing your car a disservice.

Pancake- Syrup-like smell
This kind of sweet scent emanating from the engine most likely signals problem with the cars cooling system. The smell and sweet taste of most automotive antifreeze/coolant issues from its ethelyne glycol.the leak source could range from an old, cracked, worn or ruptured radiator hose to a water pump on about to shut down. Ignoring this could get the car overheating.

Fluid under your car
A shallow droplets under your car can mean signal a problem. When you notice fluid under your car, try noting its color and and supposed location under the car. Get the fluid on your finger, rub it a bit between your fingers and smell it. In most cases, its often water issuing from the air-conditioning condenser. If the color is clear and oily then it’s probably power steering fluid, check for leakage around the pump or power steering rack but If it’s darker, slippery, and it’s within a recent oil change session, it could be a droplets of clean oil dropping from the fact that either the mechanic damaged the oil drain plug or the oil filter wasn’t properly installed.

Reddish and other Kinds of fluid droppings
Reddish-brown fluid and a lightly oily feel is your automatic transmission showing that there might be a bad seal puncture in the line running to the Trans cooler. Additionally, if the ATF fluid also has a burnt smell, it could indicate that the transmission probably need an overhaul. If there is an oily fluid on the inside sidewall of your tire, that’s most likely leaking brake fluid. Lost brake fluid could be because of air in the brake lines and could mean almost zero braking power. This should be corrected immediately.

Whining noise
This kind of high-pitched whining noise or squealing emanating from the engine bay and increases with engine speed is often an accessory belt about to park up. Since modern cars today have only one belts turning myriad devices including power steering, water pump, air conditioning compressor, and alternator, a broken belt could mean a complete shutdown of the car. However if the high-pitch squeal occurs when you tap the brake lightly while at speed, then it is that the brake pads or shoes are all worn out. This squeal emanates from a tab of metal built into the pad that gets exposed as material wears out. If the noise changes or disappears, visit your mechanic.

Grinding Noise
If the squealing noise is ignored brakes and they go silent, the next noise that would occur from them is a powerful grinding. The last of the pad has been completely worn and the metal backing plate is now clamping directly onto the brake disc. Braking effectiveness is greatly reduced and the car is now in grave danger and your repair bill would go up, too as the discs will need to be replaced as well. However if you hear a grinding, clicking, or rumbling noise when you take a tight turn, it’s likely a worn out constant-velocity joint on a front-wheel-drive car. A CV joint makes the front wheels to both receive power and turn. Ignoring this for a long time could result in your car CV joint pulling out.

http://www.automobileglobe.com/7-car-signs-you-shudnt-ignore/

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by miqos02(m): 9:45pm On Jan 24, 2016
ok
leeyack:
7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore
A Slapping Noise
This kind of indicates a dying tire. Its tread is separating from the body of the tire. it may turn into a giant steel-reinforced Weed Eater. It can cause massive. This could cause severe damage to the body and cars framework. Ignoring this kind of sound is doing your car a disservice.
Pancake- Syrup-like smell
This kind of sweet scent emanating from the engine most likely signals problem with the cars cooling system. The smell and sweet taste of most automotive antifreeze/coolant issues from its ethelyne glycol.the leak source could range from an old, cracked, worn or ruptured radiator hose to a water pump on about to shut down. Ignoring this could get the car overheating.
Fluid under your car
A shallow droplets under your car can mean signal a problem. When you notice fluid under your car, try noting its color and and supposed location under the car. Get the fluid on your finger, rub it a bit between your fingers and smell it. In most cases, its often water issuing from the air-conditioning condenser. If the color is clear and oily then it’s probably power steering fluid, check for leakage around the pump or power steering rack but If it’s darker, slippery, and it’s within a recent oil change session, it could be a droplets of clean oil dropping from the fact that either the mechanic damaged the oil drain plug or the oil filter wasn’t properly installed.
Reddish and other Kinds of fluid droppings
Reddish-brown fluid and a lightly oily feel is your automatic transmission showing that there might be a bad seal puncture in the line running to the Trans cooler. Additionally, if the ATF fluid also has a burnt smell, it could indicate that the transmission probably need an overhaul. If there is an oily fluid on the inside sidewall of your tire, that’s most likely leaking brake fluid. Lost brake fluid could be because of air in the brake lines and could mean almost zero braking power. This should be corrected immediately.
Whining noise
This kind of high-pitched whining noise or squealing emanating from the engine bay and increases with engine speed is often an accessory belt about to park up. Since modern cars today have only one belts turning myriad devices including power steering, water pump, air conditioning compressor, and alternator, a broken belt could mean a complete shutdown of the car.
my gulf 3 makes so much noise from the engine area once I am on the highway from gear 4, could it be the water pump or radiator fan
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Smellymouth: 9:45pm On Jan 24, 2016
Ok..tanx
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by allanphash7(m): 9:46pm On Jan 24, 2016
Op u are bless
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by kennyman2000(m): 9:46pm On Jan 24, 2016
Okay...
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Kreamie(m): 9:46pm On Jan 24, 2016
Some female Nigerian drivers don't pay attention to this..They just jump into their cars and off they go..No walk-arounds, no pre-drive checks, no nothing...Some male drivers are guilty of increasing their music to the loudest thereby blocking off the sounds an engine is giving off that might lead to a serious problem....Paying attention is key; it's the little things that matter!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Code45: 9:46pm On Jan 24, 2016
I smell my own car coming.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by englishmart(m): 9:47pm On Jan 24, 2016
any sign that won't make me richer is ignorable

3 Likes

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by streetzdreamz(m): 9:49pm On Jan 24, 2016
brilliant post,all points are valid and real,thumbs up.
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by DirtyGold: 9:49pm On Jan 24, 2016
I concur with the op.
It is not about owning a car but keeping the car in shape. Paying attention to those signs and similar ones will ensure your car keeps running smoothly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by StepTwo: 9:51pm On Jan 24, 2016
till tomoro morning dis kind thread no go get 20 comments

1 Like

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 24, 2016
wow helpful.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by ibkgab001: 9:52pm On Jan 24, 2016
You won't hear any sound when timing belt is about to give up

4 Likes

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Holywizard: 9:53pm On Jan 24, 2016
i dont even have a bicycle talk of car but my dad owns a bluebird car that sounds like where two Hot rabbits are making love

4 Likes

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by xender(m): 9:54pm On Jan 24, 2016
as I no get car.. make I park ma comment 4 ere
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by promizchild: 9:55pm On Jan 24, 2016
Nice one. It is good to always pay attention to every changes that occur in your car. Let your sense organs be very active while driving especially those for smelling, hearing and seeing. Prevent accident due to mechanical fault. They give signs in most cases

2 Likes

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jan 24, 2016
OP well done. Got some points I could add to my IT report.
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by sandix(f): 9:57pm On Jan 24, 2016
Nice one Op
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by gistmeloveblog: 9:59pm On Jan 24, 2016
grin grin
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by promizchild: 10:01pm On Jan 24, 2016
ibkgab001:
You won't hear any sound when timing belt is about to give up
Experience will teach u more abt timing belt, it depends on the type of car you are driving, bt often time when your car just off d ignition without any notice and u suspect d timing belt, d Best thing is to pack and check it first because any attempt to restart d ignition will lead to bending of valve if nt condemned ur engine top.

1 Like

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by anigbajumo(m): 10:02pm On Jan 24, 2016
Good one op.....
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by BiggerBangs: 10:10pm On Jan 24, 2016
Thank you
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Trustdee(m): 10:11pm On Jan 24, 2016
(Gurus Domain Group)

Where your issues are solved.

https:///joinchat/A5Ou-AXDEPmbwAIG6dBwwg
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Trustdee(m): 10:11pm On Jan 24, 2016
(Gurus Domain Group)

Where your issues are solved

https:///joinchat/A5Ou-AXDEPmbwAIG6dBwwg
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by SavageGarden(m): 10:27pm On Jan 24, 2016
Holywizard:
i dont even have a bicycle talk of car but my dad owns a bluebird car that sounds like where two Hot rabbits are making love
1mbecile alert grin

2 Likes

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Mautonmentos(m): 10:30pm On Jan 24, 2016
Good piece, car owners should be acquainted of the dashboard signs as well.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Dottore: 10:33pm On Jan 24, 2016
Ok
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by ibkgab001: 10:57pm On Jan 24, 2016
Exactly broda
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Electronzeez(m): 11:02pm On Jan 24, 2016
The truth is you will manage your car the way you manage your ' I better pass my neighbour '
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Mzbabytush(f): 11:05pm On Jan 24, 2016
cool
Re: 7 Car Signs You Should Not Ignore by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jan 24, 2016
kennyman2000:
Okay...

I take it you don't own a car smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Governor Akinwumi Ambode Orders VIO Out Of Lagos Roads / Mercedes Benz Crosses 50 Million Vehicle Production Landmark / A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.