Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,545 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. (30594 Views)

How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming / Cheap Land In Ibadan For Farming Or Residential Purpose from 50k/plot, 250k/acre / Fishery Or Poultry; Which Is More Lucrative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by unilagfreshest(m): 8:02am On Jan 25, 2016
Good day all, Am a fresh graduate (waiting for service) . Please have considered starting my own business thanks to nairaland. The dilemma now is I don't know which to choose though have read a lot online but am not convinced yet.
I have a half plot of land around that mowe/ibafo area, Ogun State which I can make use of (family own though). Please any experienced farmer's advice in house is highly welcomed. I should be able to start with 100 thousand naira. The pros and cons of both, Thanks.
Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by unilagfreshest(m): 8:14am On Jan 25, 2016
For the fish farming, am considering rearing and selling of cat fishs. While for the poultry, the goal is selling of eggs, then later sell the birds. Thanks..
Mod's in the house, save a soul.

3 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by UrennaNkoli(f): 8:32am On Jan 25, 2016
I think poultry farming is more lucrative. You tend to get more profits from the sales of meat and eggs rather than that of only fish. Talking about startup capital, com'on poultry is more easier to start up .

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by MadCow1: 9:10am On Jan 25, 2016
Poultry Farming...

Benefits: Multiple opportunities..

a. Eggs; You can farm your chickens and make a killing on the eggs.

b. Meat: You can also sell them for meat.

c. Compost: Chicken feaces sells.. Used by horticulturists and farmers for Manure.

d. Hatchery: You can also incubate the eggs produced by your chickens and sell the chicks as another branch of the business.

Risk Factor: Very Very high risk business. 1 Virus alone (Not just the Bird flu Virus) can wreck you.

Profit Margin:: Extremely High.

Fish Farming..

I cant tell you much about it because I have never farmed fishes.

But it carries a lower risk factor than Poultry farming.

21 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by ilotriouzAY(m): 9:10am On Jan 25, 2016
poultry requires small start-up capital,prof rate is very high if u can keep away from diseases nd parasites

1 Like

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by expertman(m): 9:11am On Jan 25, 2016
I will advise you to go into poutry. Poutry business is highly profitable.

Farm farming have sent many people back to the village. Have you heard about rainfall sweeping away a fish pond?

Now here is the laid down a good point of lay Birds is sold at 700 to 1K.

Then you get cage from welder at the rate of 20k.

20k cage can house up to 40birds.

Their feed at point of lay you need to buy what is called grower finisher match get their necessary drugs for both curing of dieseases and supplement of vitamin.

The best drugs for that is called accetryrin or also.

Then after they start droping you feed them with layers match.

After getting alot of eggs from them you still sell those birds at 1,300 to 1,500 during festive seasons.

You can even breed maximize ur profits.

So you see you not lossing out at all.

I have just started my own too with 70birds inside my compound so i so much knows what am talking here.

What gave me the inpirations is many of my customers who came to buy electronics from my shop are mostly into poutry farming.

come see nice different cars this guys are using simply working from farm.

That was what moltivate me in starting a poultry.

In poultry business you start seeing your returns same montb you got started which i doubt when it comes to fish farming.

So my take on your Question is to start a poultry business. Is more profitable and gives Rest of mind.

Thank you

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by sandrajazmin(f): 9:11am On Jan 25, 2016
Kk
Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by Sodiumdawg: 9:11am On Jan 25, 2016
ilotriouzAY:
hjjuj
I no wan post before......
but......
WARRISDISS?

3 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by sandrajazmin(f): 9:12am On Jan 25, 2016
The both are fabulous if u have enof capital and land

1 Like

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by TuizzieSmyls(f): 9:12am On Jan 25, 2016
I think I prefer d poultry farming....#Myopiniontho
Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by youngberry001(m): 9:12am On Jan 25, 2016
poultry jhoor

1 Like

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by westlius(m): 9:12am On Jan 25, 2016
Pourty my dear I also finish servin last year july and started pourty buz. U will surely smile because it provide meat for ur house and d profit is great but fish is good to do but u need land to excute it

1 Like

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by Integrityfarms(m): 9:13am On Jan 25, 2016
Its all about your passion, markets in your area, and your knowledge. Both are profitable. But fishery seem capital intensive more.

2 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by felzylix(m): 9:13am On Jan 25, 2016
with 100k you can run both at small scale at least for a start and maximize any of it that you feel its more lucrative to you then you must have had enough experience to come back here and recruit prospective entrepreneurs.
#teamselfmade

3 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by Sodiumdawg: 9:13am On Jan 25, 2016
OP, you have the first and most important item: LAND!

3 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by OlaSalo(m): 9:14am On Jan 25, 2016
Thank God you're not among those guys who lavish money on women and drinks. Poultry is cool.

10 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by kulobyno: 9:14am On Jan 25, 2016
Good topic. Better thn many poo from Tonto Dike, Davido, wizkid etc

1 Like

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by sirwilly1(m): 9:15am On Jan 25, 2016
unilagfreshest:
Good day all, Am a fresh graduate (waiting for service) . Please have considered starting my own business thanks to nairaland. The dilemma now is I don't know which to choose though have read a lot online but am not convinced yet.
I have a half plot of land around that mowe/ibafo area, Ogun State which I can make use of (family own though). Please any experienced farmer's advice in house is highly welcomed. I should be able to start with 100 thousand naira. The pros and cons of both, Thanks.

You said you have a half plot from the family. Fine. Let me get one plot here and wait for ideas to flow in.
Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by omoijesa(m): 9:17am On Jan 25, 2016
Ithink both are both lucrative but note it really depens on hw u manage it effectivey....God blees ur hustle

3 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by oc2fish: 9:17am On Jan 25, 2016
If you want a short time use if the money. Go into catfish fingerlings production. You need to be trained to aquire the skill. In fingerlings production the profit is 300%. You must however aquire the necessary skill. You most be passionate about the project. With make shift structures you can start. Good luck

7 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by ikbnice(m): 9:18am On Jan 25, 2016
It is not a matter of which one is good. Honestly, both are lucrative but you have to consider other factors like capital, location,marketabily etc. For your 100k, poultry is better but put it at the back of your mind to go into fish farming when you have enough money. It pays far better than poultry and amazingly, you can combine both in the future.
Bottomline: start with poultry farming now and add fish farming latter
Don't forget, vast knowledge of both is essential.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by Benjom(m): 9:21am On Jan 25, 2016
Well, I know of someone who engages in both and he's doing well. Perhaps you start with Poultry first then diversify into fish farming. Both are lucrative. Be warned however, that the rudiments must be learned first before venturing into either.

2 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by lukma227(m): 9:22am On Jan 25, 2016
unilagfreshest:
For the fish farming, am considering rearing and selling of cat fishs. While for the poultry, the goal is selling of eggs, then later sell the birds. Thanks..
Mod's in the house, save a soul.
With the amount in consideration, Fish farm will be better 4 u, Poultry farm is expensive to keep, 100k can't give u a sustainable farm 4 Poultry

3 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by samvega: 9:24am On Jan 25, 2016
As a graduate why not climb up the ladder a little bit. Since so many people are into farming, you can do both fish and chicken business but its more profitable to go into packaging and distribution.

2 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by Viktor1983(m): 9:24am On Jan 25, 2016
OlaSalo:
Thank God you're not among those guys who lavish money on women and drinks. Poultry is cool.

So because he made a post seeking nairalanders opinion, you are already thanking God he's not guys who lavish on women et al. How u take know?

3 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by ikbnice(m): 9:26am On Jan 25, 2016
lukma227:

With the amount in consideration, Fish farm will be better 4 u, Poultry farm is expensive to keep, 100k can't give u a sustainable farm 4 Poultry
100k won't even feed 1000 fish...Poultry is better for that amount for a meaningful income.

3 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by ikbnice(m): 9:28am On Jan 25, 2016
samvega:
As a graduate why not climb up the ladder a little bit. Since so many people are into farming, you can do both fish and chicken business but its more profitable to go into packaging and distribution.
Shed more light on packaging and distribution. I think it triggers my interest.

4 Likes

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by onatisi(m): 9:29am On Jan 25, 2016
unilagfreshest:
I have a half plot of land around that mowe/ibafo area, Ogun State which I can make use of (family own though). Please op any experienced farmer's advice in house is highly welcomed. I should be able to start with 100 thousand naira. The pros and cons of both, Thanks.
I wont advice you to start with all ur capital. One factor most ppl here are forgetting to tell you is that most farmers in these two business always make heavy losses at the initial stage. And they only start making I at the second or third attempt. My advice to you will be to get more money but in the course of getting more money go to a farm either a fish farm or poultry and learn the business and techniques of doing it for 6 months . Don't be in a rush unless ubwant to start again from square one. Both fisheries and poultry are good and profitable the difference between making a huge loss and profit is experience,knowledge and God

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by ilotriouzAY(m): 9:30am On Jan 25, 2016
Sodiumdawg:

I no wan post before......

but......

WARRISDISS?

bros,check again
Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by steffans(m): 9:31am On Jan 25, 2016
I have done both..

Poultry is more profitable...

But if u have the capital and space.. Do the fish farming too.. On a small scale.

1 Like

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by unilagfreshest(m): 9:32am On Jan 25, 2016
MadCow1:
Poultry Farming...

Benefits: Multiple opportunities..

a. Eggs; You can farm your chickens and make a killing on the eggs.

b. Meat: You can also sell them for meat.

c. Compost: Chicken feaces sells.. Used by horticulturists and farmers for Manure.

d. Hatchery: You can also incubate the eggs produced by your chickens and sell the chicks as another branch of the business.

Risk Factor: Very Very high risk business. 1 Virus alone (Not just the Bird flu Virus) can wreck you.

Profit Margin:: Extremely High.

Fish Farming..

I cant tell you much about it because I have never farmed fishes.

But it carries a lower risk factor than Poultry farming.
Thanks boss..
I have been to a fish (cat fish) farm recently in lagos , my brother am highly impressed with the high market demand. But the only problem is the smell (stench or whatever) ..that tin dey smell.. if not for that I won't have had issues with the business.

1 Like

Re: Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. by unilagfreshest(m): 9:34am On Jan 25, 2016
onatisi:
I wont advice you to start with all ur capital. One factor most ppl here are forgetting to tell you is that most farmers in these two business always make heavy losses at the initial stage. And they only start making I at the second or third attempt. My advice to you will be to get more money but in the course of getting more money go to a farm either a fish farm or poultry and learn the business and techniques of doing it for 6 months . Don't be in a rush unless ubwant to start again from square one. Both fisheries and poultry are good and profitable the difference between making a huge loss and profit is experience,knowledge and God
God bless you very much.. I will start looking for one asap.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Check Out The Price Of Abakaliki Rice / Maize Farmers Come In Here / Cure To Gumboro And Newcastle Disease In Poultry Under 5 Hr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.