Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss (17229 Views)

Crude Oil Hits $50 Per Barrel. Nigeria not Benefitting / Crude Oil Will Soon Sell For $50 Per Barrel – Kachikwu / What Okonjo-Iweala Said When Oil Was $76 Per Barrel (Flash Back) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by Islie: 7:06am On Jan 26, 2016
*Oil theft more dangerous than price slide —Producers

By Clara Nwachukwu

LAGOS — As oil prices continue on the downward slide, Nigerian oil firms may be producing at up to $5/barrel loss, as average production costs for independent and marginal field producers is between $30 and $35/barrel.

Oil prices, yesterday, resumed their free fall, with Brent crude, similar to Nigeria’s sweet crude grade, falling 2.6 per cent to $31.34 a barrel following a 10 per cent rise on Friday, while U.S. oil shed 95 cents to $31.24.

To compound the producers’ woes, a significant proportion of what is produced is lost to oil thieves and pipeline vandals, which they insist are even more dangerous than the bearish run oil prices
Industry chiefs, who spoke exclusively with Vanguard on phone, argued that the turbulence in the international oil market deserves urgent attention.

Specifically, they insisted that the Federal Government needs to be talking with Nigerian producers very fast, if it must save indigenous companies from running aground and plunging the economy into deeper crisis than it is in already.

Impact on producers
Speaking on the impact of the oil crash on the producers, Chairman, Petroleum Technology Association of Nigeria, PETAN, Mr. Emeka Ene, said:
“Current price is below Nigeria’s average of between $30 and $35 per barrel. Most marginal field producers are producing above $30/barrel, and with pipeline vandalism activities, costs will shoot up by another $10/barrel, so oil production now is not sustainable.”

Ene, who spoke against the backdrop of oil crashing to 13-year lows of below $28/barrel last week, noted that the bearish run may soon fizzle out, whether shale or conventional oil is being produced at above $25/barrel. As such, the southward run is not favourable to any producer.

He also revealed that “a lot of Nigerian companies are out of work because they cannot compete with the multinationals, so government needs to have a serious talk with stakeholders in the industry.”

Oil theft, pipeline vandalism
Whether oil prices go bullish soon or not, other stakeholders feel that the benefits of the rise will be lost on Nigeria, if the government does not deal decisively with the twin incidence of pipeline vandalism and oil theft.

The President, Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists, NAPE, Mr. Nosa Omorodion, maintained that “government needs to address the issue of oil theft and pipeline vandalism very fast because, even if price stabilises tomorrow or whenever, we will still not be able to reap the full benefits of that rise.”

He further argued that “oil theft and vandalism remain recurring and very worrisome because these issues are much bigger than oil slide, which is mostly driven by speculation, while these activities affect planning and are more cankerous than price slide. Operators are risking their assets including human resources to produce the oil, only to have it stolen thereafter.”

Against this backdrop, Omorodion, whose association is responsible for finding and producing oil, revealed that NAPE is planning a national seminar this month end to holistically address the issue of oil slide.
He said: “We are going to assess the length and breadth of the oil and gas industry because the price slide is not only affecting petroleum, but also other sectors of the economy.”

Apart from the impact on cost of production, the NAPE boss noted that “The current price is affecting so many things, as nobody is drilling for exploration now, and no one is thinking about fancy technology to boost production. Also, exploration will suffer as no company is exploring for new wells to grow reserves, and many small scale producers, which are mostly Nigerians, will shut down.”

Going forward
Currently, most producers, both OPEC and non-OPEC including the U.S., Saudi Arabia, Russia, Iraq and a host of others are producing at optimal capacities, which indicates that the downward glide may not let up soon. Also, some analysts have predicted that price may glide to below $20 or even $10/per barrel before rebounding.

Furthermore, with Iran’s oil also up in the market and expected to be ramped up systematically, compounded by the melt down in demand being fueled by the crisis in China, crude prices are facing more pressures. But producers recognise that the global economy is in need of some succour but differ on the best ways to go about it.

Noting that Nigerian service companies, who are the hardest hit by the crashing oil prices and provide about 650 value services across the industry, Ene insisted that Nigeria has the weapon in these companies to cushion the market turbulence but has not fully appreciated it.

According to him, “Nigeria has a thriving local oil industry, and if properly supported, can push down cost of production to $10 per barrel. About 10 to 15 years ago, industry cost was below $10 per barrel and nothing much had changed.

On his part, Omorodion believes that now is the time for oil companies to be at the most cost efficient by prioritising between wants and needs, while government becomes more fiscally disciplined and diversifying the economy.

But Ene argued that the solution is not in prescriptivism, like the majors calling for as much as 40 percent cuts in cost of services thereby killing off the companies, adding that government needs to identify and reduce unrealistic economic toll gates.

In his opinion, “The whole system is heated up, and cost of borrowing is very high. So far, conversation has been restricted to major operators and has not included the service companies driving operations in the industry.

“If we must produce oil at $10/barrel, government needs to be talking to Nigerian companies, who have invested in people and technology and are not repatriating their profits.”

Furthermore, he noted that a lot of the systemic costs being borne by indigenous firms contribute to the high cost of production, such as what he described as “Federal Government agents charging unrealistic charges like asking for $10million for permits need to be looked into.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/oil-crash-nigeria-producing-at-5-per-barrel-loss/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by Emekamex(m): 7:21am On Jan 26, 2016
Why waste money on oil production if it is no longer profitable?

6 Likes

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by Nobody: 7:25am On Jan 26, 2016
Sounds like there will be massive job loss soon abi?? The oil sector and it's dependents is one of the highest employer of labour in Nigeria. Should there be massive job loss, the economy of Nigeria may likely go into full recession #prayfornigeria

16 Likes

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by NavierStokes(m): 7:29am On Jan 26, 2016
Oh so we still have the challenge of crude oil theft and as Engr Ene rightly puts it, its worse than the price slide, I had created this thread a while ago about the need to be in the know about how much crude is being lost since the coming of the new sheriff.
https://www.nairaland.com/2848235/current-volume-crude-lost-per
It was a "negative" for the previous administration, so its also important we brainstorm and know how much progress the current has made in this regards.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by xpac01(m): 7:33am On Jan 26, 2016
I see hope in the future. Let's keep praying for the unveiling of greater hope.
Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by sdindan: 7:37am On Jan 26, 2016
And my man Buhari is looking for oil in lake Chad. Kontinu,!

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by modath(f): 7:45am On Jan 26, 2016
Emekamex:

In the interim, what options are there in a country where past leaders refused to explore alternatives to a mono export economy, refused to allow the power sector to thrive, frustrated industries out of the country & also refused to save in the time of plenty.....

They "merried" yesterday believing today & tomorrow will take care of themselves...

Today is already crying & it will take miracles & superhuman effort to ensure tomorrow doesn't follow suit.....

Seems, you lots just like the sounds of your voices... mtcheww! undecided

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by Emekamex(m): 7:51am On Jan 26, 2016
modath:

In the interim, what options are there in a country where past leaders refused to explore alternatives to a mono export economy, refused to allow the power sector to thrive, frustrated industries out of the country & also refused to save in the time of plenty.....

They "merried" yesterday believing today & tomorrow will take care of themselves...

Today is already crying & it will take miracles & superhuman effort to ensure tomorrow doesn't follow suit.....

Seems, you lots just like the sounds of your voices... mtcheww! undecided

Your answers and my question are really incompatible. I didn't get a single point in your response to my earlier question.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by great664(m): 7:52am On Jan 26, 2016
Sai Baba its time to stabilize World Oil Price o. That was your Promise to your Zombies...

Yet the Dullardhino from Daura don approve Billions for exploration in the north when oil price not favourable.

Ministry of Information Budget is higher than Ministry of Agriculture, that shows all they care about is PROPAGANDA

You can't be wicked and expect to receive Gods Blessing. When GEJ was there oil price became favourable now that the Dullard is there oil price dry up.

This same scenerio happened in my LG, when the wicked former chairman was there, no oil was found even after Billions of exploration, the coy pack up and left but when the new chairman was elected, oil started flowing everywhere and many rigs/oil wells where build in space of 4months.

You will continue to suffer and oil became extinct until you leave office

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by modath(f): 9:19am On Jan 26, 2016
Emekamex:

Your answers and my question are really incompatible. I didn't get a single point in your response to my earlier question.

It is quite understandable, the post doesn't align with your sentiments so you can't get any point & I can't dumb it down beyond what I've done, I'm sorry,.. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by Bevista: 9:47am On Jan 26, 2016
Emekamex:
Because you need to stay in the business and maintain your market share pending when prices rebound. If you exit now, you loose your customers to other producing countries.
---
And as most oil purchase contracts are done upwards of 5yrs, it will be very difficult to come back and win customers if you exit now and prices rebound later.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by Eshinwaju: 9:55am On Jan 26, 2016
Bevista:
Because you need to stay in the business and maintain your market share pending when prices rebound. If you exit now, you loose your customers to other producing countries.
---
And as most oil purchase contracts are done upwards of 5yrs, it will be very difficult to come back and win customers if you exit now and prices rebound later.

Reasonable points, well made. However, we should not at this critical stage be producing at a loss....a temporary arrangement such as a cutback until such a time when prices rebound is worth considering..... cool

2 Likes

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by suxkill: 10:02am On Jan 26, 2016
waiting for lai to blame my role model.

1 Like

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by carpenter(m): 10:10am On Jan 26, 2016
Bevista:
---

Just to add...

Equipment also need to be maintained and you need to keep your experienced hands. The start-up costs would also be too much if you completely shutdown except you want to exit the business permanently.

For example...The Angolan LNG plant has not produced gas in 2 years. So technically, the shareholders are funding maintenance, salaries, upgrades at extra cost with money from elsewhere. Otherwise 12bn USD goes down the drain...

3 Likes

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by NavierStokes(m): 10:18am On Jan 26, 2016
From the comments I am seeing so far, the emphasis is being put on the slide in the oil price while neglecting the attendant danger of lost crude. At the moment what we should be doing as a country is to lower costs by becoming much more efficient in our production. A break down of the costs of crude production reveals a relatively high operational cost, i believe our aim as a people should be on how to drive down that cost component, to still make a profit i the midst of this all.

In a downturm such as this the least efficient producers will be driven out of the business, more like a survival of the fittest.

3 Likes

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by iaatmguy(m): 10:25am On Jan 26, 2016
may God help us in weathering the storm till fracking is banned and shale shale oil is totally out of the equation
Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by Standing5(m): 10:34am On Jan 26, 2016
NavierStokes:
From the comments I am seeing so far, the emphasis is being put on the slide in the oil price while neglecting the attendant danger of lost crude. At the moment what we should be doing as a country is to lower costs by becoming much more efficient in our production. A break down of the costs of crude production reveals a relatively high operational cost, i believe our aim as a people should be on how to drive down that cost component, to still make a profit i the midst of this all.

In a downturm such as this the least efficient producers will be driven out of the business, more like a survival of the fittest.
So what is driving our production cost up?
Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by carpenter(m): 10:44am On Jan 26, 2016
NavierStokes:

Good point mate.

However, costs are a function of several factors which includes terrain, expertise, getting required equipments, parts and a lot of others I am not privy to. Attached is a how much CNN analysts believe it costs to produce oil around the world...you would notice even the so called advanced countries that have a lot of factors in their favour are way more expensive becuase of other factors...only the ME is lucky to have more in favour than against.

I will look for the original article and post the link if I can find it.

***modified http://money.cnn.com/interactive/economy/the-cost-to-produce-a-barrel-of-oil/index.html?sr=fbcnni112515the-cost-to-produce-a-barrel-of-oil0425AMStoryPhoto&linkId=19035318

The only thing that truly sets us apart besides corruption is we depend too much on oil.

1 Like

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by ZKOSOSO(m): 10:47am On Jan 26, 2016
GoodNews!!

May it come down to 6$ per barrel soon...!

1 Like

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 26, 2016
Emekamex:

Do you have palm oil, cocoa or groundnut for export ?

1 Like

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by djon78(m): 1:49pm On Jan 26, 2016
I am envisaging the direction energy business will go in the future. It will be more on adding value then market compared to direct selling of the crude that is done now. In addition total efficiency across the value chain or in another word integration of both the upstream and downstream sector into one entity.

personally I think that those in government must understand that the only thing that will save Nigeria in this present time is total elimination of wastage in the oil industry. when I mean wastage, I mean both theft, incompetence, and inefficiency. Moreover those that have no business being in the oil sector should be removed, because many in that sector have no business being there except because of godfather-ism and nepotism.

Final word, there was never plans by successive governments to diversify. while other OPEC member nations were diversifying and investing, especially the Arab gulf states(Saudi Arabia saved over $750 billion that can last them next 20 years without selling, Dubai diversified into services and real estate, Abu dhabi and Qatar diversified into investments across the globe). Our leaders must understand the dilemma and precarious situation facing this nation at the moment and rise to the task before things go out of hand.

5 Likes

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by NavierStokes(m): 1:53pm On Jan 26, 2016
djon78:
I am envisaging the direction energy business will go in the future. It will be more on adding value then market compared to direct selling of the crude that is done now. In addition total efficiency across the value chain or in another word integration of both the upstream and downstream sector into one entity.

personally I think that those in government must understand that the only thing that will save Nigeria in this present time is total elimination of wastage in the oil industry. when I mean wastage, I mean both theft, incompetence, and inefficiency. Moreover those that have no business being in the oil sector should be removed, because many in that sector have no business being there except because of godfather-ism and nepotism

Final word, there was never plans by successive governments to diversify. while other OPEC member nations were diversifying and investing, especially the Arab gulf states(Saudi Arabia saved over $750 billion that can last them next 20 years without selling, Dubai diversified into services and real estate, Abu dhabi and Qatar diversified into investments across the globe). Our leaders must understand the dilemma and precarious situation facing this nation at the moment and rise to the task before things go out of hand.

You have rightly put it

1 Like

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by NavierStokes(m): 2:05pm On Jan 26, 2016
carpenter:

Good point mate.

However, costs are a function of several factors which includes terrain, expertise, getting required equipments, parts and a lot of others I am not privy to. Attached is a how much CNN analysts believe it costs to produce oil around the world...you would notice even the so called advanced countries that have a lot of factors in their favour are way more expensive becuase of other factors...only the ME is lucky to have more in favour than against.

I will look for the original article and post the link if I can find it.

***modified http://money.cnn.com/interactive/economy/the-cost-to-produce-a-barrel-of-oil/index.html?sr=fbcnni112515the-cost-to-produce-a-barrel-of-oil0425AMStoryPhoto&linkId=19035318

The only thing that truly sets up apart besides corruption is we depend too much on oil.

As you have rightly put up in the chart above, here in Nigeria most of the omshore oil fields had been developed a long time ago some almost half a century so the question of capex becomes pretty low for such fields. The important factor here becomes the opex, the opex used to be relatively low for us until armed robber salaries came into play, crude theft vandalisms and shut-ins, security etc. So my point is there should be a focus on the crude theft component, because thats exactly what Emeka Ene is after in this particular interview or article. The former government was well castigated by all of us on the issue of crude loss being about 400000 barrels a day, so we need to know the progress the current administration has made in that regard.

Picture this arbitrary scenario just from a purely opex perspective considering only salaries and crude theft:
If a company's wage bill is $1 million and annual crude production is 100000bbls then the opex costs per bbl is $10/bbl. Assuming you lose or are unable to produce half of that amount what happens, your opex goes to $20/bbl.

I do hope my basic explanation helps.
Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by NavierStokes(m): 2:08pm On Jan 26, 2016
Standing5:
So what is driving our production cost up?

Major components include Crude theft bro, insecurity and not to forget armed robber salaries plus the lot of inefficient practices stemming from incompetence or poor training of personnel.
Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by phemmie06(m): 2:13pm On Jan 26, 2016
This oil is a blessing to some nation but to Nigeria our leaders has made it a curse. I pray that one day the oil should stop flowing

1 Like

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by carpenter(m): 2:46pm On Jan 26, 2016
NavierStokes:

As you have rightly put up in the chart above, here in Nigeria most of the omshore oil fields had been developed a long time ago some almost half a century so the question of capex becomes pretty low for such fields. The important factor here becomes the opex, the opex used to be relatively low for us until armed robber salaries came into play, crude theft vandalisms and shut-ins, security etc. So my point is there should be a focus on the crude theft component, because thats exactly what Emeka Ene is after in this particular interview or article. The former government was well castigated by all of us on the issue of crude loss being about 400000 barrels a day, so we need to know the progress the current administration has made in that regard.

Picture this arbitrary scenario just from a purely opex perspective considering only salaries and crude theft:
If a company's wage bill is $1 million and annual crude production is 100000bbls then the opex costs per bbl is $10/bbl. Assuming you lose or are unable to produce half of that amount what happens, your opex goes to $20/bbl.

I do hope my basic explanation helps.

Yes your explanation helps and thanks for taking out time to write it. It definitely introduced more factors that make our costs so high.

However, the chart shows an average...meaning capex reducing and opex being the major component is already taken into consideration. Most of our fields undergo upgrades as they are quite old and in some cases, the modifications are even more expensive than what was spent to build the facility in the first place. I also do not think salaries are quite as high as people think they are. The bonuses are great when business is good but non existent when business is bad...working in such facilities is also considered high risk hence commensurate pay.

I worked on a project where the total cost of upgrading several plaforms was about 6bn USD at the time of leaving the project. Procurement and construction was responsible for about 70% or more of that cost. My point is Oil bunkering maybe the only component we can use to reduce cost of production and maybe the procurement process.

Oil Bunkering reduced to the minimum will go a long way in helping reducing this average.

1 Like

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by OZAOEKPE(f): 2:53pm On Jan 26, 2016
tobimillar:
Sounds like there will be massive job loss soon abi?? The oil sector and it's dependents is one of the highest employer of labour in Nigeria. Should there be massive job loss, the economy of Nigeria may likely go into full recession #prayfornigeria
WE WARNED THE 'CHANGE CHANTERS' BUT THEY REFUSED TO LISTEN TO OUR VOICE, NOW LET THERE BE A GREAT RECESSION............

1 Like

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by RichYoungNigga: 3:25pm On Jan 26, 2016
Thank God.
I'm also waiting on $1 to exchange for 700 naira because i do benefit from it. (I know Nigerians living abroad also do)

God bless BUHARI, he is the best president in the world and i hope he rules Nigeria for 30 years.

1 Like

Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by Sunnycliff(m): 3:27pm On Jan 26, 2016
When your oil can't be bought what is the essence of producing? Who wants to produce at a loss?? Una never talk the truth joor
Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by kelvstenz: 3:28pm On Jan 26, 2016
Can't be good
Re: Oil Crash: Nigeria Producing At $5 Per Barrel Loss by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 26, 2016
The buhari's change we're seeing is
hatch_tag #connect
and it's a Hit........Jesu

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Israel Pledges Improved Relationship With Nigeria / Orji Uzor Kalu To Be Turbaned In Daura Tomorrow / Housing Allowance Scandal: Why We Can’t Go After PDP Officials — EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.