Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,360 members, 7,860,987 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:16 PM

Do You Think A Lawyer Should Defend A Child Killer? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Do You Think A Lawyer Should Defend A Child Killer? (401 Views)

Man Knocked Out With A Single Punch While Trying To Defend A Fighting Lady. PICS / Ifeanyi Dike, Portharcourt Child Killer Escapes Police Detention! / Robbers Trying To Rob A Lawyer In Warri Caught - See Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do You Think A Lawyer Should Defend A Child Killer? by TyLegal: 12:12pm On Jan 27, 2016
It was reported recently that a lawyer in South Africa was mobbed and assaulted for defending 2 child killers. It was alleged that the child, a 3-year old, was kidnapped and murdered.

In the words of the lawyer, "I was really scared, I thought I was going to die especially when they mentioned that I would be killed. I sustained various injuries. I went to the doctor who examined me and gave me a J88 form.

“It shows marks around my neck where I was strangled with my tie, I have bruises and injuries due to being kicked all over my body. I was attacked because I represented two accused in court and I wanted to apply for bail for them. I don’t feel safe anymore...”

Being a lawyer myself, I can almost imagine how he felt.

Still, I am unsure I’ll be able to represent a paedophile or a child killer who confesses his guilt. I do not know that I would be able to hold a straight face in court and defend the person.

I have no idea what goes on in the minds of people who sexually assault/rape children. What can possibly be so attractive about a child asides wanting to pamper the baby silly?

Anyway, I digress. Jungle justice should never be encouraged.

It is important to know that a lawyer can represent anyone even if the person confesses his guilt; every citizen is entitled to a fair hearing and is presumed innocent until found guilty.

However, in such an instance, the lawyer is expected to represent the client to the best of his ability within the provisions of the law. He can also focus on making sure that the prosecution prove its case beyond reasonable doubt or appeal for a lesser sentence.

And while defending the client, the lawyer should maintain his integrity and uphold all professional ethics. He should not knowingly deceive the court or allow the client to give false evidence.

What do you think of a lawyer defending a 'guilty' client? Does the nature of the crime matter? [url][/url]www.tylegal.com
Re: Do You Think A Lawyer Should Defend A Child Killer? by theshaderoom: 2:58am On Jan 28, 2016
Everybody is entitled to fair hearing. So, yes, they are entitled to a defence... I just read everything u wrote. You asked a question and then answered it. Complainant and judge!

(1) (Reply)

1985 Air India Bombing Prisoner Released / So Why Aren't They / Ambrose Ali University Students Allegedly Burn Down Department Building Due To M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.