Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,409 members, 7,812,210 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119628 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 12:03pm On Mar 07, 2016
My semi rinsed bouquet * of cacti smiley wink

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:13pm On Mar 07, 2016
babythug:
My semi rinsed bouquet * of cacti smiley wink

Gasp!! Finally!! grin but she's fine na, why have you been hiding her?

Are those 2 different breeds of cacti there please?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 12:17pm On Mar 07, 2016
Onegai:

Gasp!! Finally!! grin but she's fine na, why have you been hiding her?

Are those 2 different breeds of cacti there please?

Lol... They're three breeds actually. But the tall one in the middle seems to have done most excellently.

I was hoping a new type/specie/hybrid will spring up that's why I put them all in one pot but so far that hasn't happened.

Or maybe I wasn't listening hard enough in agric class. Lol
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 1:27pm On Mar 07, 2016
babythug:

Lol... They're three breeds actually. But the tall one in the middle seems to have done most excellently.

I was hoping a new type/specie/hybrid will spring up that's why I put them all in one pot but so far that hasn't happened.

Or maybe I wasn't listening hard enough in agric class. Lol

grin
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 1:49pm On Mar 07, 2016
Multi-Plant Container Gardening

You can combine a bunch of different plants and flowers in the same container for a beautiful effect. This is especially useful when you don't have space and want to make a visual impact. Let your gardener do it for you, and big containers start from N1000. Most of the plants we have mentioned in this thread will work for a container garden. Palms, Asparagus fern, vincas, cordyline, Boston Fern, coleus, heliconia, plumbargo etc You can mix your plants according to colour and texture and size.

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 07, 2016
Onegai:
Multi-Plant Container Gardening

You can combine a bunch of different plants and flowers in the same container for a beautiful effect. This is especially useful when you don't have space and want to make a visual impact. Let your gardener do it for you, and big containers start from N1000. Most of the plants we have mentioned in this thread will work for a container garden. Palms, Asparagus fern, vincas, cordyline, Boston Fern, coleus, heliconia, plumbargo etc You can mix your plants according to colour and texture and size.

I really love these..

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:39pm On Mar 07, 2016
brandnew3:

I really love these..

It's to combine plants of differen heights, start with a vine then add a shrub and keep going till you get a taller plant. Or do like the all-green one and do a palm (either golden palm or banana leaf) and surround it with a fern(Boston or Asparagus). The last picture is Heliconia, coleus, croton, sweet potato (vine). Or do Cordyline and surround with rosy periwinkles of different colours. I'm going to do one for our balcony.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 3:46pm On Mar 07, 2016
Onegai:

It's to combine plants of differen heights, start with a vine then add a shrub and keep going till you get a taller plant. Or do like the all-green one and do a palm (either golden palm or banana leaf) and surround it with a feel (Boston or Asparagus). I'm going to do one for our balcony.

Your thread is a big source of motivation for me. grin

I'm so gardening up my home, just waiting on the raining season to kick in. Already did some planting but it's kinda experimental.

I intend to have a paradise on earth in a matter of 6 months. cheesy

Beautiful plants just keeps me sane in this perilous Nigerian environment. smiley

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:51pm On Mar 07, 2016
brandnew3:

Your thread is a big source of motivation for me. grin

I'm so gardening up my home, just waiting on the raining season to kick in. Already did some planting but it's kinda experimental.

I intend to have a paradise on earth in a matter of 6 months. cheesy

Beautiful plants just keeps me sane in this perilous Nigerian environment. smiley

Thanks thanks. The Spider plant I bought is thriving but the Asparagus fern is dying slowly (it was a tiny nursling when I got it). I've been told people are getting into gardening again in Nigeria. If you are on Instagram, you can check out Lagos garden club.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 07, 2016
Onegai:

Thanks thanks. The Spider plant I bought is thriving but the Asparagus fern is dying slowly (it was a tiny nursling when I got it). I've been told people are getting into gardening again in Nigeria. If you are on Instagram, you can check out Lagos garden club.

I'll look it up on Instagram.

My mom has always kept a garden, I did I got the love for beautiful plants from her.
I've also visited and seen private gardens that are out of this world.

I'd love to see more Nigerian keeping assorted plants in the homes and gardens.

I bet only a few people would go as far as setting up a greenhouse. grin
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 7:48am On Mar 08, 2016
brandnew3:

I'll look it up on Instagram.

My mom has always kept a garden, I did I got the love for beautiful plants from her.
I've also visited and seen private gardens that are out of this world.

I'd love to see more Nigerian keeping assorted plants in the homes and gardens.

I bet only a few people would go as far as setting up a greenhouse. grin

Look up Oma Gardens on instagram. You'll be quiet about some of them words you just typed grin. Talk about Garden por,n. my sister's estate, they have an unspoken garden rivalry going on and poach each others gardeners. Most of them soent upto N150,000 to change the soil so they could have a nice lawn. They also spy on each others layouts and plants.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:38am On Mar 09, 2016
Onegai:

Look up Oma Gardens on instagram. You'll be quiet about some of them words you just typed grin. Talk about Garden por,n. my sister's estate, they have an unspoken garden rivalry going on and poach each others gardeners. Most of them soent upto N150,000 to change the soil so they could have a nice lawn. They also spy on each others layouts and plants.

where is this pls?
I need ideas for my garden
but im not spending 150k for soil o grin
cow dung and chicken poo is much cheaper......just joking grin
on a serious note, a compost heap is a much cheaper option but not sure if the heat wont cause a terrible smell embarassed
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 11:39am On Mar 09, 2016
@Onegai, what name do you call those crawling plants that stay on fences? I just got some of those. grin
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 1:17pm On Mar 10, 2016
tearoses:

where is this pls?
I need ideas for my garden
but im not spending 150k for soil o grin
cow dung and chicken poo is much cheaper......just joking grin
on a serious note, a compost heap is a much cheaper option but not sure if the heat wont cause a terrible smell embarassed

Oma Gardens are a landscaping company (award-winning apparently). They do gardens for the wealthy in Lagos and put up pictures of their work. They are even more expensive than those spending N150,000 on improving their soils and gardens grin

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 1:51pm On Mar 10, 2016
brandnew3:
@Onegai, what name do you call those crawling plants that stay on fences?
I just got some of those. grin

Climbers? Vines? cheesy post a pic
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 4:52pm On Mar 10, 2016
I'm doing something small. I'll post some pics later

@Mexican Evening Primrose - I think of this plant and i think 'grass' cheesy
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 6:43am On Mar 11, 2016
So here is my humble layout I intend to fill with flowers (kabashing and speaking in tongues-God helping me) I got some orange bowls (the color reminded me of a typical flower pot) a while back but decided to use them in my kitchen instead (covers face)

Anyway they were too shallow so I've decided to start with black nylon bags first and get nice pots with time. This is gardening on a budget for me please.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 7:02am On Mar 11, 2016
I decided a hand trowel would be good but I got too excited (when this thread first started) and bought a bricklayers instead!

I spotted a dumb cane growing wildly the other day and decided to help myself. I'll be starting with her (yes its a her and I've christened her Lucy)

So armed with my bricklayers trowel, I went 'a digging' for black soil from yonder place and the hubby just shake head for me. LOL I added a bit of waste from the bin but I hear dumb cane is quite versatile so hoping she does not wither away.

I intend to fill that spot (around Lucy) with more colourful flowers in the coming weeks. Wish Lucy well for me. Hopefully she'll have fun at my place.

Any advise?

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:06am On Mar 11, 2016
brandnew3:
@Onegai, what name do you call those crawling plants that stay on fences?
I just got some of those. grin

climbing ivy?

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:08am On Mar 11, 2016
Onegai:

Oma Gardens are a landscaping company (award-winning apparently). They do gardens for the wealthy in Lagos and put up pictures of their work. They are even more expensive than those spending N150,000 on improving their soils and gardens grin

Jesu shocked shocked shocked
Time to relocate back to Nigeria grin
Tearoses Gardens, here we come grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:10am On Mar 11, 2016
touchmeder:
So here is my humble layout I intend to fill with flowers (kabashing and speaking in tongues-God helping me) I got some orange bowls (the color reminded me of a typical flower pot) a while back but decided to use them in my kitchen instead (covers face)

Anyway they were too shallow so I've decided to start with black nylon bags first and get nice pots with time. This is gardening on a budget for me please.

When you pot, its a good idea to put in some broken bricks or stones at the bottom of the pot before putting in your compost
It helps draining
Also ensure that you have holes at the bottom of the pot so that excess water can drain out.
Dont also water the plants in the afternoon or let water touch the leaves when you water the plants or the heat from the sun will "cook" the leaves.

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:40am On Mar 11, 2016
tearoses:

Also check out Aralia by Nature. Cactus plant for N10,000 in their shop (and they have clients a-plenty). There's a house in Ikeja, that will stupefy you when you see it (it looks like one of the nicest mansions in the US transplanted to Nigeria. His glass covered pool-house is surrounded by garden). Better come, business is booming grin
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:41am On Mar 11, 2016
tearoses:

There's a house in Ikeja, that will stupefy you when you see it. Better come, business is booming grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:46am On Mar 11, 2016
touchmeder:
I decided a hand trowel would be good but I got too excited (when this thread first started) and bought a bricklayers instead!

I spotted a dumb cane growing wildly the other day and decided to help myself. I'll be starting with her (yes its a her and I've christened her Lucy)

So armed with my bricklayers trowel, I went 'a digging' for black soil from yonder place and the hubby just shake head for me. LOL I added a bit of waste from the bin but I hear dumb cane is quite versatile so hoping she does not wither away.

I intend to fill that spot (around Lucy) with more colourful flowers in the coming weeks. Wish Lucy well for me. Hopefully she'll have fun at my place.

Any advise?

Best advice: ignore husband. I've had too many eye-rolling moments with mine to notice again. This morning, he was threatening to throw away my can planter of Spider plant (because I overwatered it and it leaked).

I think Dumb cane is really easy to grow. Lucky you finding it for free. I keep hearing that some bin waste may not be good, but they say the same about chicken poo and that's what village people use successfully. Does it small?

Btw, no pictures are showing on your last post o
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 9:11am On Mar 11, 2016
Onegai:

Best advice: ignore husband. I've had too many eye-rolling moments with mine to notice again. This morning, he was threatening to throw away my can planter of Spider plant (because I overwatered it and it leaked).

I think Dumb cane is really easy to grow. Lucky you finding it for free. I keep hearing that some bin waste may not be good, but they say the same about chicken poo and that's what village people use successfully. Does it small?

Btw, no pictures are showing on your last post o

He will come around eventually grin grin
The same husband that used to roll eye before before was the one who asked for a garden party for his birthday in His my garden grin

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 9:14am On Mar 11, 2016
Onegai:

There's a house in Ikeja, that will stupefy you when you see it. Better come, business is booming grin

I dey come o!
Hope those interlocking boys wont run me out of town grin
Many Naija compounds are too bland
cement everywhere
Time to plant and encourage wildlife
lets do our bit for the environment

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 10:58am On Mar 11, 2016
tearoses:

When you pot, its a good idea to put in some broken bricks or stones at the bottom of the pot before putting in your compost
It helps draining
Also ensure that you have holes at the bottom of the pot so that excess water can drain out.
Dont also water the plants in the afternoon or let water touch the leaves when you water the plants or the heat from the sun will "cook" the leaves.

Thanks for this, I have pics but I need to re size first.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:46pm On Mar 11, 2016
My tools

My mum had a trowel and garden fork at home (both badly rusted), so I'm going to get some new ones for her and also a shrub cutter. Below are my tools: florist scissors, wire cutter, 2 bypass cutters (good for cutting green plants) and a pair of gloves. My anvil cutters (good for cutting dead branches) are not here. I'll get a trowel (for digging up dirt and soil) for myself as well.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 1:40pm On Mar 11, 2016
tearoses:

climbing ivy?
The ones on that wall.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 2:02pm On Mar 11, 2016
brandnew3:

The ones on that wall.

Okay this is nice, Art and Gardening. Is this your house, are you single wink
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 2:07pm On Mar 11, 2016
African Blood Lily

This is such an unusual looking flower. It is an outdoor plant and I think if it's planted in profusion, it will look really pretty. The gardeners sell it for about N700. I don't

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 11, 2016
Onegai:

Okay this is nice, Art and Gardening. Is this your house, are you single wink

lol! grin
My uncle's house. He is a big arts patron and also has an amazing garden.

My house isn't that much gardened up but i have a badly maintained lawn, 4 guava trees, a lot of Aloe Vera's and about 5 other species of beautiful plants. smiley

Yes i'm single.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (27) (Reply)

10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.