Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,206 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119627 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 10:24pm On Feb 21, 2016
That's a nice arrangement
Onegai:
Flowerpot arrangement.

If you have a balcony that gets a lot of light, you can do a flower arrangement there. Get some plant containers (the made in Nigeria ones are decent and the medium sites is from N600), stack them on top of each other and grow something colourful like Vincas (Rosy Periwinkle) in them. It seems this is the season for Vincas to bloom as everywhere I see them, they look stunning.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 21, 2016
babythug:

How is the flower ministry going? No water in our yard this weekend couldn't rinse the flowers grin

Get a watering can.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 7:08am On Feb 22, 2016
tearoses:
Onegai Im just thinking
I can bring some seeds of different flowers with me and get them accoss to you somehow the next time im around.
We are getting to seed planting time here and soon the supermarkets and garden centres will be flooded with all sorts of seeds.
some will grow, some wont but you can give them a try
Seeds dont weigh much so I dont mind smiley

Oh thanks a lot! I'd gratefully accept them smiley Hydrangeas are doing well here and so many cactii.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 7:14am On Feb 22, 2016
tearoses:

These are gorgeous
Beautiful bold colours
Do they have a scent?
Onegai these are the roses I was talking about
I guess they thrive better in Jos due to the weather
If the growers in the south have a way of keeping the plants cool, Im sure they will thrive
I guess its easier to grow a tropical plant in the cold than the other way round.

I spoke to Rosety Gardens and he said it's the altitude as well as other factors. That the roses down South have a very small bud and are not commercially viable. They even showed me some cream or white roses they're growing that they're trying to stop from blooming when the buds are small. I was also told that an Indian guy started a greenhouse (the best bet to grow commercial roses) in Lagos but has packed up shop. If a farm can get their act together and grow roses and send them down South, there's a profit in it as I'm sure even with factoring cooling van and processing it manually, it will be cheaper than importing it because the dollar is steadily climbing to almost N400.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 7:56am On Feb 22, 2016
Onegai. Tearoses.

I picked this bunch one time when I went to visit my friend last spring. I just found the picture now where it's been hiding. Lol.

I'm curious about that big deep pink one with lots of petals. (Not the light pink and redish roses.)

I don't know the name and he doesn't know either.
It looks like a giant rose but with smaller inner petals.
I'm patiently waiting for spring again to see if I can find them in his garden and maybe get some.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:19am On Feb 22, 2016
cococandy:
Onegai. Tearoses.

I picked this bunch one time when I went to visit my friend last spring. I just found the picture now where it's been hiding. Lol.

I'm curious about that big deep pink one with lots of petals. (Not the light pink and redish roses.)

I don't know the name and he doesn't know either.
It looks like a giant rose but with smaller inner petals.
I'm patiently waiting for spring again to see if I can find them in his garden and maybe get some.

Hi coco
I think its a peony
it only flowers in the spring/early summer
Is it this one?

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 8:22am On Feb 22, 2016
tearoses:

Hi coco
I think its a peony
it only flowers in the spring/early summer
Is it this one?
That must be it.
Comes in many colors. doesn't it?

Yes that's definitely it. Just googled the name and saw a variety of colors.
Oh my.
Even orange.
They are so lovely.

Thank you smiley smiley
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:24am On Feb 22, 2016
Onegai:

Oh thanks a lot! I'd gratefully accept them smiley Hydrangeas are doing well here and so many cactii.

Okay
I dont think hydrangas and cacti come in seeds but I will check
I was thinking more of the wild flowers, poppys, sunflowers, red peppers, lupins, sweet pea, Antirrhinum. lobelia and co
Just plant them all and cross your fingers grin
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:26am On Feb 22, 2016
cococandy:

That must be it.
Comes in many colors. doesn't it?

Yes that's definitely it. Just googled the name and saw a variety of colors.
Oh my.
Even orange.
They are so lovely.

They are gorgeous
I think they have a mild scent too
Your friend is lucky to have them and the roses bloom at the same time
he/she must be green fingered smiley
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 22, 2016
Onegai:

I spoke to Rosety Gardens and he said it's the altitude as well as other factors. That the roses down South have a very small bud and are not commercially viable. They even showed me some cream or white roses they're growing that they're trying to stop from blooming when the buds are small. I was also told that an Indian guy started a greenhouse (the best bet to grow commercial roses) in Lagos but has packed up shop. If a farm can get their act together and grow roses and send them down South, there's a profit in it as I'm sure even with factoring cooling van and processing it manually, it will be cheaper than importing it because the dollar is steadily climbing to almost N400.

Do a lot of people import their flowers?
I guess the lack of steady Power is also a problem angry
You know I said about the small buds & small flowers on the roses.
Onegai why dont you try if you have the time
Buy a few pots of roses and try and put them in different places, maybe including the fridge for a few hours a day and see what happens.....just a thought
Probably if you pot them in imported rose compost to start with that might help kick start their journey
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:34am On Feb 22, 2016
Onegai:

Buy a few pots of roses and try and put them in different places, maybe including the fridge for a few hours a day and see what happens.....just a thought
Probably if you pot them in imported rose compost to start with that might help kick start their journey
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 8:43am On Feb 22, 2016
tearoses:

They are gorgeous
I think they have a mild scent too
Your friend is lucky to have them and the roses bloom at the same time
he/she must be green fingered smiley
It's a he.
My Farmer friend that I get goat and chicken from.

He has different kinds of flowers everywhere in the vast compound and it's not like he even wants to garden or anything. They just grow wild and untended all over the compound.

He is more interested in his livestock and horses. grin
Me thinks he bought the farm without so much interest in any of that flower thing going on there.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 22, 2016
cococandy:

It's a he.
My Farmer friend that I get goat and chicken from.

He has different kinds of flowers everywhere in the vast compound and it's not like he even wants to garden or anything. They just grow wild and untended all over the compound.

He is more interested in his livestock and horses. grin
Me thinks he bought the farm without so much interest in any of that flower thing going on there.

LOL I wrote green fingerred and NL changed it to manipulated
NL I hail grin
You know sometimes when you leave them alone they grow better than when they are looked after
Just that I like the arranged look

My friend of mine has one garden like that. She leaves the back to grow wild and Foxes, squirrels and other wildlife come into the back bit.
sometimes even in the afternoon.
Beautiful
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 8:57am On Feb 22, 2016
Yea. I saw the green fingeredd when I wanted to reply your post.
NL and their childish censors.
tearoses:

LOL I wrote green fingerred and NL changed it to manipulated
NL I hail grin
You know sometimes when you leave them alone they grow better than when they are looked after
Just that I like the arranged look

My friend of mine has one garden like that. She leaves the back to grow wild and Foxes, squirrels and other wildlife come into the back bit.
sometimes even in the afternoon.
Beautiful

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:09pm On Feb 22, 2016
tearoses:

Yes. It will shock the things that Nigeria imports. They import even other species of Aloe Vera and common plants for wedding bouquets. Every single fresh wedding bouquet in Nigeria has imported flowers. When I asked a florist, he said all the brides come in with saved images of something they saw on Keeping Up With The Kardashians and only a bad businessman would say no. Our appetite for imports is crazy. I have seen 2 instances of tropical wedding bouquets or wreaths in the past 5 years. And they don't know how to condition the roses and imported flowers to last in our climate so more than half those roses are usually wilting when you get them. My Valentine's day bouquet, only some white 'mums managed to stay a week, the rest were dying as they came home (red roses went first) sad

I'm almost tempted to offer to pay for a bride's wedding bouquet if she will use tropical flowers (and if I have the money grin). But they're so much nicer than half-wilted flowers and so much more colourful. And it's way cheaper to use local than imports. I know a while back I asked a florist and she said she once had an order for a tropical arrangement but she couldn't make it up from the growers in Nigeria and had to fly them in. So there is that angle.

I was informed by a professional gardener that only a greenhouse would help grow roses down south because even in India they have the same issue (altitude and climate issues means small rosebuds). That's why Jos is so crucial: perfect conditions but human factor.

I'm hoping to speak to a botanist on this matter, so maybe an experiment will be coming soon...

4 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:40am On Feb 24, 2016
So there are suppliers of exotic tropical plants and flowers grown in Ogun state. They have Heliconias and Ginger flowers. I don't know their exact location but their products look good. if anyone knows, please share. Thanks

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 9:02am On Feb 25, 2016
Hello fellow Flower lovers
im still here
just busy these days
its spring here and daffodils are out
I will post some pictures one day soon
Stay blessed everyone smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 10:11am On Feb 27, 2016
This is the bunch of lovely roses my collegues got me yesterday
Its my birthday very soon smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by ThunderingHooves: 6:15am On Feb 29, 2016
Onegai:

Yes. It will shock the things that Nigeria imports. They import even other species of Aloe Vera and common plants for wedding bouquets. Every single fresh wedding bouquet in Nigeria has imported flowers. When I asked a florist, he said all the brides come in with saved images of something they saw on Keeping Up With The Kardashians and only a bad businessman would say no. Our appetite for imports is crazy. I have seen 2 instances of tropical wedding bouquets or wreaths in the past 5 years. And they don't know how to condition the roses and imported flowers to last in our climate so more than half those roses are usually wilting when you get them. My Valentine's day bouquet, only some white 'mums managed to stay a week, the rest were dying as they came home (red roses went first) sad

I'm almost tempted to offer to pay for a bride's wedding bouquet if she will use tropical flowers (and if I have the money grin). But they're so much nicer than half-wilted flowers and so much more colourful. And it's way cheaper to use local than imports. I know a while back I asked a florist and she said she once had an order for a tropical arrangement but she couldn't make it up from the growers in Nigeria and had to fly them in. So there is that angle.

I was informed by a professional gardener that only a greenhouse would help grow roses down south because even in India they have the same issue (altitude and climate issues means small rosebuds). That's why Jos is so crucial: perfect conditions but human factor.

I'm hoping to speak to a botanist on this matter, so maybe an experiment will be coming soon...
I absolutely love this post. I have been enlightened about different types of flowers and would like to ask: from where do these flower imports come?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 7:09pm On Feb 29, 2016
tearoses:
This is the bunch of lovely roses my collegues got me yesterday
Its my birthday very soon smiley
They are so lovely.

Flowers get me every time smiley

Do you know what these yellow flowers in my picture are?
They look like orchids. Feels rubbery to the touch. almost like artificial flowers.
I'm sure they'll last for long before wilting.

They are so cute. My friend brought them to the hospital for me.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:46am On Mar 01, 2016
cococandy:

They are so lovely.

Flowers get me every time smiley

Do you know what these yellow flowers in my picture are?
They look like orchids. Feels rubbery to the touch. almost like artificial flowers.
I'm sure they'll last for long before wilting.

They are so cute. My friend brought them to the hospital for me.

When I first saw I was amazed at how vibrant and colourful they looked.
God is indeed wonderful
They are absolutely gorgeous
I've never seen these before
They look like they will last long
I'm not sure if you are still in hospital but if you are, you may want to get them moved to a cooler area cos post delivery wards are always very hot and they wilt flowers quicker.

How are you and our princess doing
Hope you are resting o coco kiss
My only advise is to please do whatever you feel comfortable with . . . . . .advise here, there and everywhere from well meaning people can surely confuse one embarassed grin

Hugs and kisses kiss

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:48am On Mar 01, 2016
ThunderingHooves:

I absolutely love this post. I have been enlightened about different types of flowers and would like to ask: from where do these flower imports come?

Here a lot of imports come from Holland
I am not sure if its the case for Nigeria
Where is this onegai sef angry
Valentines day was 2 weeks ago naw
abeg come back and report for duty ojare grin
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:23am On Mar 01, 2016
tearoses:

Here a lot of imports come from Holland
I am not sure if its the case for Nigeria
Where is this onegai sef angry
Valentines day was 2 weeks ago naw
abeg come back and report for duty ojare grin

Please do not be angry with me cry in my quest to be a cheap-cheapingtin somebori, I destroyed my phone. Only just getting it back.

@ cococandy, congratulations on your baby! Try and get some sleep...now, in fact asap..because you're gonna regret all the times you didn't sleep before now wink

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:47am On Mar 01, 2016
ThunderingHooves:

Some come from South Africa.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:31pm On Mar 01, 2016
ThunderingHooves:

Some are from South Africa.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 1:24am On Mar 03, 2016
tearoses:

How are you and our princess doing
Hope you are resting o coco kiss
My only advise is to please do whatever you feel comfortable with . . . . . .advise here, there and everywhere from well meaning people can surely confuse one embarassed grin

Hugs and kisses kiss
Aww thank you.

We are fine. Doing great.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:06pm On Mar 03, 2016
Corkscrew Rush

I truly don't know much about this, no it's an interest in looking architectural plant/succulent. I saw it at Rosety Gardens (I hope this was the one). If anyone can shed more light on it, that would be awesome. smiley I know it's a potted plant.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:29pm On Mar 03, 2016
Mussaenda

One of the most common ornamental plants in Lagos (and most gardeners don't know its name, even one award-winning company didn't! #stunned!).

It is a shrub which likes the outdoors. It's leaves and flowers have this fabric-like (velvet) texture to the touch. It's bracts come in colours of pink, white, yellow and red. It is a native of West Africa and Asia.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 1:26pm On Mar 03, 2016
Croton

A very colourful popular plant. It's an outdoor plant, lots of sunshine and water makes it happy, I believe. But check out its uses! A specie of this plant is used to flavour the drink known as Campari (we all know it) and another specie produces a sap that can be used as a liquid bandage (but that specie is native to the Amazon jungle). In Kenya, it has been proven that this is a better plant to produce biofuel than Jatropha and can help fight desertification (agricultural entrepreneurs, take note). All in all, a useful plant.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:22am On Mar 07, 2016
Stargazer Lily

Also known as the Oriental Lily. This is a modified flower, created in the U.S. in the 1970s. It likes the sun (hence its name) and a well-draining soil. It has a strong fragrance but a few people don't like the smell, saying it causes a reaction like headache and nausea in them. It's toxic to only cats (pet owners beware) and is popular as a wedding flower.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:24am On Mar 07, 2016
Mexican Evening Primrose

Aka the Pink lady flower. This is a pretty shrub that is an outdoor plant. But watch out where you plant it, as it is easily propagated and can take over the patch of garden it exists. It has such a sweet fragrance and it blooms in the evenings, attracting moths and butterflies.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:26am On Mar 07, 2016
Please touchmeder ije004 goodyness and other contributors, feel free to join in and ask questions, make submissions. Let's keep the thread active with lots of participation. Thanks.

C.c iyke926 aghaibiam GodsElect cheechy babythug gloriouspa

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Reply)

10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.