Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,974 members, 7,814,317 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Fokasibe ! - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Fokasibe ! (5870 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fokasibe ! by TIJESU(m): 10:56pm On Jun 27, 2009
I've listened to this music and heared it played in many street corners. Does anyone know the meaning of this song, what sense it makes,the positive side of it,and what message it's sending to various listeners. Every time I listen to it I get baffled.
Re: Fokasibe ! by showbobo(m): 12:28am On Jun 28, 2009
The song is simply telling u to GET A FCUKEN LIFE!!! angry angry angry
Re: Fokasibe ! by sophienwa(f): 4:02pm On Jun 29, 2009
TIJESU:

I've listened to this music and heared it played in many street corners. Does anyone know the meaning of this song, what sense it makes,the positive side of it,and what message it's sending to various listeners. Every time I listen to it I get baffled.

my dear don't mind them jare, the song no get meaning @ all. na just sound with no content.
Re: Fokasibe ! by ofokasibe: 5:06pm On Jun 29, 2009
lol sophie for a moment i thot u were taking bout ofokasibe. ;d ;d
Re: Fokasibe ! by las240s(m): 6:58pm On Jun 29, 2009
@sophienwa sit down there dey beef music wey don blow,hmmm o jare ofokasibe means u are highly recognised,U GET MOUTH
Re: Fokasibe ! by sophienwa(f): 10:49pm On Jun 30, 2009
las240s:

@sophienwa sit down there dey beef music wey don blow,hmmm o jare ofokasibe means u are highly recognised,U GET MOUTH

in your language abi ?
Re: Fokasibe ! by Genuflect(m): 7:35am On Jul 01, 2009
@sophienwa Why do you people comment on something you know nothing about? Are you even Yoruba? 'Ori e Fokasibe' is a street slang that means you are an expert at what you do. Don't just slander songs when you don't know the meaning of it. Try and find out, which is what the poster is doing
Re: Fokasibe ! by sophienwa(f): 1:11am On Jul 04, 2009
f
Genuflect:

@sophienwa Why do you people comment on something you know nothing about? Are you even Yoruba? 'Ori e Fokasibe' is a street slang that means you are an expert at what you do. Don't just slander songs when you don't know the meaning of it. Try and find out, which is what the poster is doing

first and foremost, my yoruba teacher, my being yoruba or not has nothing to dowith the song having any meaning or not. by the way the meaning you have given that statement has no relevance to where i am from, seeing as the direct translation is ''your head has scattered'' so enlighten me since you know sooo much about it.
Re: Fokasibe ! by chiogo(f): 3:05am On Jul 04, 2009
Lmao, never heard the song but I'm sure there's nothing positive about the name. cheesy
Re: Fokasibe ! by Nobody: 3:06am On Jul 04, 2009
showbobo:

The song is simply telling u to GET A FCUKEN LIFE!!! angry angry angry
rotflmao. OMG!! grin grin grin
Re: Fokasibe ! by Genuflect(m): 7:24am On Jul 04, 2009
@sophienwa If I was to go by your way, then all Igbo songs or Hausa don't have meanings too. Your being Yoruba might not have anything to do with the song having a meaning, but your understanding Yoruba does. I have already told you the meaning, so that's enough enlightenment. Your point on direct translation doesn't even hold water. Every language does that so why are you singling this one out? If I was Spanish learning English and I listen to Will.I.Am's Heartbreaker , I'd think Will.I.Am was a serial killer who carved people's hearts out. Won't I? Understand what you criticize.
Re: Fokasibe ! by Bamsyle(m): 8:20am On Jul 04, 2009
Slangs are allowed in music . . . however, a song, whether or not it employs slangs to pass its message, should have impressive lyrics!!!

Loads of songs coming from Nigerian artistes nowadays are trash laced over good beats/production . . . 'Fokasibe' is one of them . . . no crime in going 'commercial' (you need to feed ya family  wink) . . . but not at the expense of making sense . . .

It's the Mediocre Age of Music that we're presently in that allows trash like 'Fokasibe' . . . I'm looking past today . . . and looking at the next 12 months . . . max . . . would anyone still be spinnin' 'Fokasibe' on their CD players??

Why do people still listen to joints from artistes like Bob Marley and Fela Anikulapo-Kuti??
Re: Fokasibe ! by Genuflect(m): 8:55am On Jul 04, 2009
@Bamsyle Party songs are not meant to last forever. All party songs pass their prime and just get referred to once in a while. Zeez makes a song about his status quo and people say it doesn't make sense? What else does a party track have to entail? The reason why Fela and Marley are still being played is cos they were trailblazers. They had a story behind their music. Fela always criticized the government and Bob Marley was a big force behind Rastafari. They were men of the people. I'm not tryna justify the trash on radio nowadays, I'm just saying if a song is meant to be a party track, why should it be anything except that?
Re: Fokasibe ! by Bamsyle(m): 9:36am On Jul 04, 2009
@Genuflect

I see where you're coming from . . . but the fact that a song is a party track is no excuse for its mediocre lyrics . . .

Erm . . . letz not mention rap songs . . . letz not even mention foreign tracks . . . letz mention Nigerian songs . . . songs of DJ Zeez's generation . . . 2face's "For Instance" is a 'party track' innit?? What about his "True Love"?? . . . What about 9ice's "Gongo Aso"?? . . . letz keep the list short . . . compare the lyrics of these three songs to "Fokasibe".

And I totally disagree that such songs are not meant to last forever . . . if I'm doing a compilation of greatest music hits ever . . . of any genre . . . I can see songs like "All That She Wants" (Ace of Base), "Moving On Up" (M People), "I'm Coming Out" (Diana Ross), "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" (Michael Jackson) . . . these are songs of yester-years . . . very danceable . . . spin them on your CD player today . . . spin them 50 years to come . . . and they'll still sound evergreen.

Look, I'm not even saying all songs must contain 'serious' or grim lyrics . . . I ain't saying all artistes must be griots . . . all I'm saying is that an artiste must be skilled in his art . . . skilled in the way (s)he rides the beat, the cadence, the use of words, the language . . . that's what makes music more elevated than speech . . .

If I can't listen to your track a cappella and 'feel' it, what's the essence?? Now you strip "Fokasibe" of the nice beat and listen to it a cappella . . . tell me what you hear??

Status Quo?? Erm . . . Biggie's "Hypnotize" was about what?? Oh, sorry that's foreign . . . 9ice's "Photocopy", "Party Rider", "Street Credibility"??

That you're bragging about your prowess, fame, ability, etc is a well-known/accepted thing in Music . . . but it's no excuse for reeling out trash lyrics . . .

If Fela and Bob Marley are trailblazers, why can't artistes like DJ Zeez also be?? These artistes just cashed in on the current Music Boom, period.

And in Nigeria, fart and belch on a hot/danceable beat and party-loving folks would call it a hit.

There's no crime in making money and being an opportunist at it anyway . . .

Just that time will separate the men from the boys.
Re: Fokasibe ! by Genuflect(m): 10:18am On Jul 04, 2009
@Bamsyle I think this is getting more and more subjective by the sec. You must have missed out the part where I said 'just get referred to once in a while'. The 80's songs were big hits but you hear them now if you want to reminisce or just pay respect and stuff. You can't go to a club and hear the DJ playing all 80's stuff unless it's a special occasion. I myself love those songs you listed above but I only hear them by myself and stuff. In terms of quality of party songs, I totally agree with you but why do you say Fokasibe is trash? What's wrong with his lyrics? And do you want every singer on the radio to be a trail blazer? They don't come in flocks. Just a selected few. There are some of these artists that I'm so sure would get to that 'Fela' status: Asa, 2 face, Nine etc but only time will tell sha.
Re: Fokasibe ! by Bamsyle(m): 10:45am On Jul 04, 2009
Genuflect:

@Bamsyle I think this is getting more and more subjective by the sec. You must have missed out the part where I said 'just get referred to once in a while'. The 80's songs were big hits but you hear them now if you want to reminisce or just pay respect and stuff. You can't go to a club and hear the DJ playing all 80's stuff unless it's a special occasion.

What's subjective in asking that a particular craftsman hone his skills well enough to be labelled "skilful"??

It's good enough that these songs "get referred to once in a while" . . . how many of the trash Naija songs of this age do you think will be 'referred to once in a while' in a couple of years, even months to come?? And that's not to mention how the evergreen songs are being remixed, sampled, and even being referred to in popular culture by the day . . . these songs just won't die . . .

I myself love those songs you listed above but I only hear them by myself and stuff. In terms of quality of party songs, I totally agree with you but why do you say Fokasibe is trash? What's wrong with his lyrics? And do you want every singer on the radio to be a trail blazer? They don't come in flocks. Just a selected few. There are some of these artists that I'm so sure would get to that 'Fela' status: Asa, 2 face, Nine etc but only time will tell sha.

You're missing my point . . . I'm not asking anyone to be another Fela, Bob Marley, MJ or whatever . . . fact is - these icons can never be replicated . . . my point is - hone your craft well enough to be referred to as a credible artiste!!! Plus, I'm not sure these mediocre naija artistes listen to songs released by these icons . . . else they would never sing half of the trash they sing . . .

I'm not even saying they should become legends . . . figuratively, all I'm saying is they should "shoot for the moon . . . even if they miss, they'll land amongst stars"!!!

What's wrong with Fokasibe's lyrics?? Are we referring to the same song?? A song that featured repeated lines like "to ba de Yankee won gbo wa n be . . . gbogbo JD, a lenu pa" . . . puleeeezzzzz, don't make me post the whole lyrics to that song!!!

The prob I have with this generation is that well-packaged mediocrity is more recognized/accepted than sensible stuff . . . half the Nigerian music-listening populace is too easily carried away by danceable beats!!!

And ain't nutin wrong with creating slangs in music . . . my days, IMO, Fela (permit me to refer to him again) had more slangs than those of these contemporary acts fused together . . . but not only did he always make sense . . . he was skilled!!!
Re: Fokasibe ! by Genuflect(m): 11:07am On Jul 04, 2009
Subjective, in the sense that you think the lyrics are trash, while I don't agree. To me, it is just ok. I can give you a list of artists who need serious lectures on lyrics. Artists like Timaya, Terry G, D'banj, J. Martins and even P-Square. And till date 9ice is still my best Naija artist cos his lyrics are so deep rooted, I have to ask my elders for the meaning. But all the same, I think you have a point
Re: Fokasibe ! by Bamsyle(m): 11:32am On Jul 04, 2009
Genuflect:

Subjective, in the sense that you think the lyrics are trash, while I don't agree.

Well . . . one fella's meat is another folk's cyanide . . .

To me, it is just ok.

To me, Fokasibe's lyrics should be flung outta the window . . . well, respect begets respect . . . and I respect ya opinion.

I can give you a list of artists who need serious lectures on lyrics. Artists like Timaya, Terry G, D'banj, J. Martins and even P-Square.

And I ain't gon' counter you on that list . . . but letz dumb down a bit . . . like I said earlier, I won't crucify or justify an artiste judging by his lyrics only . . . some of these artistes have some fairly ok tracks - judging from the 'general craft' angle . . . Timaya's "True Story", "Dem Mama", D'banj's "Mobolowowon", even "Suddenly" are fair . . . some of these artistes can be at least sonically good when they want to.

There are many sides to 'a good song' . . . the parameters include lyrics, vocal rendition, cadence, etc. . . all or some of these indices come together to help us decide the quality of a song.

My major prob with 'Fokasibe' is that the song doesn't scale any of these 'hurdles' . . . the song in itself (i.e. a cappella) just doesn't appeal to me from any angle: lyric-wise, sonically, etc. . . it has one thing only - a good beat.

And till date 9ice is still my best Naija artist cos his lyrics are so deep rooted, I have to ask my elders for the meaning. But all the same, I think you have a point

That's exactly what I'm saying . . . 2face, 9ice, Asa . . . and a few others are doing what IMO is called 'Music' . . . others are still musing . . . cheesy
Re: Fokasibe ! by skfa1: 11:36am On Jul 04, 2009
Ori re on 4 ka si be, ontu ka yan yan grin grin

cheiiii this yoruba people self, lol
Re: Fokasibe ! by Genuflect(m): 11:57am On Jul 04, 2009
@Bamsyle You see. What you did there is what I normally do too. They have done good works before or are capable of so when they do something trashy, I just hope they will get back on track. The reason why I mentioned those up there is because you were so insistent on lyrics. I know they all have wonderful songs. For example, 'Chinekeh Meh' by Timaya has some of his poorest lyrics but when I remember 'True Story' or 'Ogologomma', I just let it go. D'banj has 'Olorun Maje', 'Celebrate', for God's sake he can play a mouth organ, so I just laugh when I hear Entertainer. Same thing for Zeez. I've been hearing his songs since 'Orin to ba ti fe'. I know he has it in him. At least, Bobbee FC was creatively okay, even though it was vulgar. So we are kinda on the same side. And concerning 9ice, I had never thought of having a best Nigerian artist before I heard his songs. To me, Gongo Aso (album) is a classic.
Re: Fokasibe ! by Bamsyle(m): 12:24pm On Jul 04, 2009
Genuflect:

@Bamsyle You see. What you did there is what I normally do too. They have done good works before or are capable of so when they do something trashy, I just hope they will get back on track. The reason why I mentioned those up there is because you were so insistent on lyrics. I know they all have wonderful songs. For example, 'Chinekeh Meh' by Timaya has some of his poorest lyrics but when I remember 'True Story' or 'Ogologomma', I just let it go. D'banj has 'Olorun Maje', 'Celebrate', for God's sake he can play a mouth organ, so I just laugh when I hear Entertainer. Same thing for Zeez. I've been hearing his songs since 'Orin to ba ti fe'. I know he has it in him.

Largely, we've been discussing songs, not artistes . . . so before I burst a gat on DJ Zeez, I'll wait for him to come up with sumn averagely ok.

At least, Bobbee FC was creatively okay, even though it was vulgar.

What the . . . ?? shocked

Sonically speaking, "Bobbee FC" is even worse than "Fokasibe"!!! . . . and I even rate "Same Ni" (both the original and remix versions) over that song . . . just cos he was using soccer parlance to sing does not translate to creativity . . . and I'm even turning a blind eye to the vulgar-side-of-things!!!

So we are kinda on the same side. And concerning 9ice, I had never thought of having a best Nigerian artist before I heard his songs. To me, Gongo Aso (album) is a classic.

Right from the "Little Money" era, I knew the dude was gonna blow . . . that's one thing about music, take a musical masterpiece anywhere in the world and it will blow . . . good music transcends language and racial barriers.
Re: Fokasibe ! by khanye(m): 12:31pm On Jul 04, 2009
Bobbee FC is trash
and should be banned!
Re: Fokasibe ! by Bamsyle(m): 12:34pm On Jul 04, 2009
khanye:

Bobbee FC is trash
and should be banned!

Hehe . . . not only for being vulgar . . . it should be banned cos it drips of 'wack juice' . . . grin grin
Re: Fokasibe ! by khanye(m): 12:46pm On Jul 04, 2009
Bamsyle:

Hehe . . . not only for being vulgar . . . it should be banned cos it drips of 'wack juice' . . . grin grin

What do you mean by that? cheesy grin wink
Re: Fokasibe ! by Bamsyle(m): 12:52pm On Jul 04, 2009
khanye:

What do you mean by that? cheesy grin wink

grin grin

If every song contained acid . . . the acidity level of "Bobbee FC" is so weak that even a 6-month old baby would sip away unhurt . . . grin grin
Re: Fokasibe ! by khanye(m): 1:13pm On Jul 04, 2009
Bamsyle:

grin grin

If every song contained acid . . . the acidity level of "Bobbee FC" is so weak that even a 6-month old baby would sip away unhurt . . . grin grin

Ok, i understand wink
Re: Fokasibe ! by iniguy(m): 11:44pm On Jul 05, 2009
U guys shoukdnt bother ur heads, ofokasibe is simply a party track, keep rocking to the it while it's hot!
Re: Fokasibe ! by kaym2: 1:21pm On Jul 06, 2009
iniguy:

U guys shoukdnt bother ur heads, ofokasibe is simply a party track, keep rocking to the it while it's hot!

pls is it nairaland ofoka that sang the song?
Re: Fokasibe ! by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 06, 2009
hmmmm

well good song

u must not know d meaning

must u
Re: Fokasibe ! by ngwobabe: 2:40am On Feb 03, 2010
@Genuflect and Bamsyle. . . after reading ur comments on this topic, i must say that am quite impressed by ur in-depth knowledge of naija music. . i enjoy reading comments online, and urs just blew me away, keep repping cos u guys rock!!! cheers m8s ,
Re: Fokasibe ! by mykee: 7:00am On Nov 12, 2010
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me find out what OGOLOGOMMA means please, many thanks! smiley
Re: Fokasibe ! by eccentric(m): 9:28am On Nov 13, 2010
That song is old skool dude.Why do we have to debate over it at this time? And as for wtf it means, I think it tells ya how ur head's gonna look like if it gets hit by a bazooka.

(1) (Reply)

Ruggedman Ft Dagrin - Emi Ni / Video: Rudeboy (Paul P-square) - Fire Fire [DOWNLOAD] / My New Dance Video (B*tch Dab)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.