Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! (4378 Views)

10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria / Traveling To Ireland Dublin For Studies / *** General Irish VISIT/TOURIST VISA Enquiries *** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by MrsOyibo(f): 10:58pm On Jun 27, 2009
Hello All,
I'm thinking of moving to Ireland (Dublin) with my Nigerian husband. I'm Irish myself, but I've been living in the UK for the past 11 years so I don't really know all that much about what goes on there anymore. Can anyone who actually living in Ireland already let me know what me, my husband and our daughter (16mths old) can expect when we get there please?

What is the cost of living? Food shopping, utility bills, mobile bills etc?
How easy is to find work?
Is registering with the GNIB as straightforward as it appears?
How expensive is childcare?
Will we be able to claim benefits while we're looking for work initially?
What is the best part of Dublin to live in?
What is the average cost of a 2-3 bedroom house? How easy to find one?
Is education still fairly decent there?
How accepting are people of mixed race couples?
If living in Dublin is it necessary to have a car or will public transport suffice?
How easy will it be to open a bank account?

I look forward to your replies!
Re: Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by yommyuk: 6:45am On Jun 29, 2009
for ur housing needs try www.gumtree.com. - very useful

In regards to benefits - r u currently on benefits in the uk? if yes, then your claim will be automatically transfered to ireland. If not you have to be in full time employment for at least 6 months to qualify.

Transportation - it will be better if u drive. this will give u flexibility in regards to where u can live. The farther away from the dublin city centre the cheaper. However the public transport system is ok.

Bank account - same as the uk. u need 2 proofs of address and a photo ID.
B4 I forget, U being irish do you have the equivalent of the UK NI Number called PPS Number. crucial for bank account.

In regards to acceptance of mixed couple. it is ok. My cousin married an irish lady. they have 3 kids and the ladies family are fab.

The only down side is the cost of living. This is very high because ireland pay the 2nd or 3rd highest income in the EEC

hope this helps and good luck.
Re: Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by MrsOyibo(f): 6:21pm On Jun 30, 2009
Thanks Yommyuk.

Any one else have anything to add?
Re: Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by Dovent: 9:16am On Jul 01, 2009
who is this Mrs Oyibo, do u have any son called Segun or Tokunbo?, or is Mrs Oyibo not your real name.
Re: Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by JJYOU: 9:50am On Jul 01, 2009
Mrs.Oyibo:

Hello All,
I'm thinking of moving to Ireland (Dublin) with my Nigerian husband. I'm Irish myself, but I've been living in the UK for the past 11 years so I don't really know all that much about what goes on there anymore. Can anyone who actually living in Ireland already let me know what me, my husband and our daughter (16mths old) can expect when we get there please?

What is the cost of living? Food shopping, utility bills, mobile bills etc?
How easy is to find work?
Is registering with the GNIB as straightforward as it appears?
How expensive is childcare?
Will we be able to claim benefits while we're looking for work initially?
What is the best part of Dublin to live in?
What is the average cost of a 2-3 bedroom house? How easy to find one?
Is education still fairly decent there?
How accepting are people of mixed race couples?
If living in Dublin is it necessary to have a car or will public transport suffice?

I look forward to your replies!

dont u have family/ friends in ireland? only away for 11yrs
Re: Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by wakagirl: 6:01pm On Jul 01, 2009
@ Dovent do you know a Mrs oyinbo whose son is Segun?
Re: Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by ikeyman00(m): 6:43pm On Jul 01, 2009
lelia

yes if it was about your negative views on naija men, hmmm no one should underrate the swiffness on your response

awhh poor u gal
Re: Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by Dovent: 9:30am On Jul 02, 2009
Yes I know one Mrs Oyibo, she has two sons, Segun and Tokunbo but I lost her contact. Do u know her?
Re: Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by MrsOyibo(f): 9:18am On Jul 03, 2009
I can confirm that I am not the real Mrs. Oyibo that you guys are talking about! However, can we please get back on topic because I really do need info. Don't want to ask family and friends for information at the moment because we haven't made our final decision about moving yet.
Re: Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by lastpage: 1:11am On Jul 05, 2009
Concerning housing (Rent), use this website, www.daft.ie
price, location, pictures of house and insides, e.t.c

I hear this recession period is no time to move to Ireland sha, peeps say its biting like TIGER over there and Govt is cutting most benefits!
Cost of living also very very high in Ireland. Some jokingly call it "Reap-off Ireland".
Re: Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by MrsOyibo(f): 11:17pm On Jul 05, 2009
Thanks Lastpage. I know that the cost of living is supposed to be really high over there. That's why I wanted to get as much info as I can before going there.
Re: Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by lastpage: 2:04am On Jul 06, 2009
Got more info for you:

What is the cost of living? High; 3-Bed House: 800-1,000+Euros rent, depending on location.
Food, shopping: depends on family size and whether you eat out mostly. Average = 120 Euros/weekly
utility bills: Phone (line & Calls) = 55Euros/bi-monthly (Eircom line only), (calls: mobile & landline depends on your usage)
Gas/Electricity:150- 200Euros/Bi-monthly; (average)depends on whether you want to have hot water 24/7!
How easy is to find work: Not easy right now (due to lay-offs but that is everywhere) but it also depends on whether what you do is in hot demand and "exclusive".
Is registering with the GNIB as straightforward as it appears?: As a citizen, its "express". No hassles
How expensive is childcare?: Very expensive. 150Euros minimum/weekly
Is education still fairly decent there?: fairly decent but some think the "cockney"accent is "UnBritish"! But as an Irish, that shouldn't bother you
How accepting are people of mixed race couples?: Like in most places, the recession has made 'scape-goats" of "those who don look like us" (if you know what l mean? Be prepared for some "shocks" but hopefully with time, things will improve.
If living in Dublin is it necessary to have a car or will public transport suffice? Dublin central is well serviced with public transport. U might not need a car if you dont care too much about privacy. Central Dublin is very crowded and word has it that its not a good place to raise a family (crime & bad influences). Dublin suburbs are better but Public transport fizzles as you move away from City-center
Mind you please, all the above are "average opinions" and are true only to the extent of my source's knowledge. (BBW)
Hope these helps further.

Lastpage
Re: Thinking Of Moving To Ireland - Leilah Pls Read! by olaoluwa13: 11:13am On Jul 09, 2009
hello mrs oyibo,
please i need invitation letter from uk/ireland if you have any information about this pls let me know, but about your relocation, best of luck and you have to be very careful. you can get to me throuh raheem_usman@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

How To Raise 10000 Euros? / Flight & Hotel Reservation For Visa - Useful Resources / Bahrain Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.