Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,903 members, 7,817,677 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? (16915 Views)

Is The Name "ARAB" A Tribe/ethnicity,a Culture Or A Confederation? / WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? / Challenge To All Northerners: Educate Your People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 4:39pm On Apr 22, 2011
[size=13pt]His people are my people. . . bottomline grin[/size]

Andre Uweh:

Who are your people?.
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 7:23pm On Apr 22, 2011
Why are people so ashamed of their roots?.
Why not tell Nairalanders the name of your town or local council and its attributes?.
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 1:47pm On May 03, 2011
[size=13pt]What is your point here now? Nobody here is ashamed of their root- that is to say their tribe . lipsrsealed[/size]
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 10:06pm On Jul 03, 2011
Agu Okonko is widely practiced in Ihitte/Uboma, Imo state. Communities well known for this cultural festival are:
Umuihi and Amakohia between the months of june and july. Lowa in August and Umuderim in December.

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by step1: 11:00pm On Jul 03, 2011
My people are the Awori people of Lagos. I am from Ise eko Lagos and I have very mixed ancestry which are Awori (father) Egba/Offa (Mother) Brazilian (great grandmother from father side), Bini (great great grandfather).
We are known for fishing, partying, business and are a very loving and accommodating people. We also known to intermix with people from different backgrounds as it is seen from my background.

We love foods like Crabs and all other sort of seafood because we are coastal people. We also eat tapioca (coconut) with milk. Efo riro and Eba/Iya is also part of our food.
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by mrsbabs(f): 9:47pm On Jul 06, 2011
Hi guys, girls well i am white british and intrigued by this site such good hospitality etc, my hubbie nigerian thou, i cant comment on british culture as its nothing to special, no respect for others lol quiet shameful actually, my husbands culture alot more respectful and decent and i love that and off to nigeria this year yeyyyy cant wait! so when visited i can then come back and tell you what i love, in the mean time wanted to introduce myself also, so hiya everyone cheesy
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 12:32pm On Jul 28, 2011
OKONKO cultural festival @Isinweke, Ihitte/Uboma, Etiti, Imo state.

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 12:33pm On Jul 28, 2011
Isinweke.

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 12:35pm On Jul 28, 2011
Okonko culturefest at Isinweke.

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 12:37pm On Jul 28, 2011
We are a people with culture. Long live Isinweke and Igbo culture.

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 12:38pm On Jul 28, 2011
Isinweke, Ihitte-Uboma LGA, Etiti, Imo state. Our culture must not die.

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 12:41pm On Jul 28, 2011
Ebi-the grand mmanwu of Okonko, culture of the Isinweke people of Ihitte-Uboma, Etiti, Imo state.

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 12:44pm On Jul 28, 2011
Ebi, the pride of Okonko, it's accompanied with a special music called Oso-nkwa.

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 7:56pm On Aug 06, 2011
Isinweke-a people with rich Igbo culture.

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 8:54pm On Aug 18, 2011
Okuko Mbakala.

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 11:50pm On Aug 30, 2011
While most Igbo communities celebrate Iri Ji between August-November, the people of Etiti (Obowu, Isinweke) and Nsu celebrates Mbom Uzo. Mbom Uzo means clearing road ceremony. During this ceremony, age grades converge at the market squares to dance, sing, march and do all sorts of things you see recently in carnivals.
Notable communities that practice Ibo Uzo includes: Umuihi, Amakohia, Amainyi Ukwu, Umuezegwu, Umuawuchi, Umuezegwu etc.

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by Nayah(f): 8:37am On Aug 31, 2011
my people is Bassa like Samuel Eto'o! and we are known for our combativness especially in our Independance ie RUBEN UM NYOBE a Cameroonian nationalist, our loyalty and honesty

But they also say that Bassa women are the most beautiful as well together with Fulani and Hausa smiley
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by Afam4eva(m): 10:56am On Aug 31, 2011
@Nayah
Sauel Etoo is not originally from Basaa. He's from a place called Amasiri in Ebonyi state. He's an un-adulterated nwa-afor Igbo.
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by Nayah(f): 10:57am On Aug 31, 2011
Afam4 eva heheheh you made my day looooooool grin
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by Afam4eva(m): 11:57am On Aug 31, 2011
I'm serious! His father headed for Cameroon from Nigeria due to the Biafran civil war. So, he settled there. If you don't believe me just type "Samuel etoo amasiri ebonyi" on google.
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by Nayah(f): 12:02pm On Aug 31, 2011
Afam4eva, Samuel Eto'o mother and mine are from the same village, and I know his father wink
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by Lax75(m): 2:04am On Sep 03, 2011
@ Andre Uweh

I am very impressed by the way you take pride in your culture. I get to disgusted at Nigerians who act like they are ashamed of their culture. You wear your culture like a badge of honor, and that is very commendable. The way you also educate people about your culture displays how grateful you are to God for creating your people. As a Nigerian, I just love all of our cultures, whether Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, etc. We are blessed to know where we are from and to say "those are my people and this and that is our custom." I take time to educate African Americans whenever I proudly showcase our rich attires in our rich weddings. The open-minded ones are impressed and even envious. God bless you, brother.

As from me, my people are known for Yoruba Yoruba grin (j/k).

I'm actually Egba (Abeokuta). Egbas are highly affluent, proud, educated and accomodative people of high integrity. My other half of the family is from Isale Eko, and I do have some Togolese roots from my maternal great grand mother.
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by lagcity(m): 2:28am On Sep 03, 2011
I am from Oke Opin, Ekiti LGA, Kwara State. My people are known for being very strong-willed (some say stubborn, i say strongwill grin tongue), professors, and Iyan (pounded yam) lovers.
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:58am On Sep 03, 2011
my people, the Maguzawa Haussa are known for animals herding, farming and our deep-rooted adherence to pre-islamic Hausa traditional religion. We also drink a lot of burkutu (alcohol).
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 3:27pm On Sep 03, 2011
Lax75:

@ Andre Uweh

I am very impressed by the way you take pride in your culture. I get to disgusted at Nigerians who act like they are ashamed of their culture. You wear your culture like a badge of honor, and that is very commendable. The way you also educate people about your culture displays how grateful you are to God for creating your people. As a Nigerian, I just love all of our cultures, whether Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, etc. We are blessed to know where we are from and to say "those are my people and this and that is our custom." I take time to educate African Americans whenever I proudly showcase our rich attires in our rich weddings. The open-minded ones are impressed and even envious. God bless you, brother.

As from me, my people are known for Yoruba Yoruba grin (j/k).

I'm actually Egba (Abeokuta). Egbas are highly affluent, proud, educated and accomodative people of high integrity. My other half of the family is from Isale Eko, and I do have some Togolese roots from my maternal great grand mother.
Thank you and Godbless.
I once lived in Abeokuta, visited Olumo rock several times and has been to the cultural centre in Omida, Abeokuta to read more about the Egbas. Great people.
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 10:22pm On Sep 07, 2011
A traditional dancer in Isinweke-Etiti, Imo state, Nigeria.

Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by ezeagu(m): 2:11pm On Oct 11, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Isinweke, Ihitte-Uboma LGA, Etiti, Imo state. Our culture must not die.

It seems Okonko is more watered down in Imo than is Abia. see Oho Ebi with a woman by its side! In some places women aren't even allowed to see the masks.
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by AndreUweh(m): 10:28pm On Oct 11, 2011
ezeagu:

It seems Okonko is more watered down in Imo than is Abia. see Oho Ebi with a woman by its side! In some places women aren't even allowed to see the masks.
You may be right, yet credit to Abians for originating it. Okonko in Isinweke has its roots from Umuahia.
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by Amujale(m): 4:41am On Oct 12, 2011
Wow! some of the images are so-real its as if one can actually jump into the scene. Photograhic genius! IMHO cheesy
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by Excelboi(m): 12:03pm On Oct 12, 2011
Ok naw,
Me i be confirm NUPE BOY from Lafiagi in Kwara State. My people are known for farming,trading and fishing. We are humble,respectful and a no-nonsense people. We are know for our tribal marks (butme no get ooo) and we a mostly located in the north central. Prominent people from NUPE KINGDOM are:
I.B.B (papa na NUPE)
Jerry Gana (Former Minister)
Sarah Jubril(A female candidate of the just concluded PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION)
Sha'aba Lafiaga (Former governor of kwara state e.t.c.
My NUPE name is NDAMAN
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by namfav(m): 6:11pm On Oct 12, 2011
we are known for alot of things, one for having the most beautiful women in africa and being the largest nomadic peoples in the world cool
Re: What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? by Crayola1: 6:18pm On Oct 12, 2011
namfav:

we are known for alot of things, one for having the most beautiful women in africa and being the largest nomadic peoples in the world cool

lol be realistic now lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin / Oke ITE Awele(pot Of Progress ) / The Majority Itsekiri,Ilaje,olukumi People Of Delta State, And Yoruba Words

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.