Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,213 members, 7,825,800 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook (1899 Views)

Lady Compares Nigeria Under PDP And APC On Facebook / APC On Self-destruction...as Fresh Power Blocs Emerges / Buhari Won’t Fight Sanusi For Criticising FG – Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by erunz(m): 8:33am On Jan 28, 2016
The Kaduna State University has suspended one of its senior lecturers for posting a Facebook comment deemed as hate speech.
In December, John Danfulani stirred controversy by lashing at supporters of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, northern leaders, and President Muhammadu Buhari. He also mocked the large number of out-of-school children in the north.
Part of his Facebook post post said, “To them, APC is a religious party. Northern leaders under the party are demigods and crusaders of their ways of life. These people living in dusty villages of Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara, Kano, Jigawa are quick in calling you ‘Arne or Kafiri’ (Meaning Pagan) once you express your view on anything their God PMB and his brigade of small Angels are doing. Attack the attacker, and lets the skies fall”.
Mr. Danfulani confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES that he authored the post, which was widely circulated among Kaduna residents.
He subsequently deleted his Facebook page. Mr. Danfulani is believed to be currently out of the country.
After criticisms poured in, the university queried Mr. Danfulani, calling his post “divisive, injurious and tantamount to hate speech”.
In a query dated January 6, signed by the school registrar, Talatu A Kuri, the university said the lecturer should explain why disciplinary action should not be taken against him for a comment he posted on the social media.

“The content of the publication you authored is divisive, injurious to the University and tantamount to hate speech capable of inciting particular group of students against staff and other students. This behaviour is unbecoming of a lecturer who is supposed to mould students’ character and impart learning,” the letter said.
In his response, Mr. John said he was not furnished with details of his offence.
“It is a large world of dozens of platforms, most of which are yet to be in full practice in Nigeria. I have pages that upload my opinions on multifaceted local and international issues when my conscience and spirit direct me to do so,” he wrote.
“Because of this, I do not know on which of the platforms the piece that generated this query was hoisted because your query did not contain such details.”
He added: “My wall, updates and writings in the social media are all in my private capacity and not in my official capacity as a Lecturer with the University”.
Not satisfied with his response, the school authority suspended him from the university.
The registrar of the university, Talatu A. Kuri, last week, informed Mr. Danfulani of the decision.
The letter reads: “We refer to our letter of query dated 5th January, 2016, requesting you to explain within 48 hours why disciplinary action will not be taken against you for gross misconduct and confirm that you failed to respond.
“In line with S15 (1) 4 of KASU staff Conditions of Service, the Vice Chancellor has suspended you from duty forthwith and will report the matter to Council.”
A student leader of the university who spoke to PREMIUM TIMES said the post could have caused a major crisis save for the prompt response by the authorities.
On Saturday, the Kaduna State Security Council announced that it would henceforth prosecute any group of persons or individuals inciting ethno-religious crisis in the state.
Rising from its weekly security meeting, the council said the warning was necessary following reports of comments made by individuals capable of creating social unrest in the state.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/197546-kaduna-university-suspends-lecturer-facebook-hate-speech.html#.VqmqJ_TPapk.twitter

1 Like

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by INTROVERT(f): 8:35am On Jan 28, 2016
"brigade of small angels "....... the man is mean sha..
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by xreal: 8:41am On Jan 28, 2016
oh, so it has gotten to that?

1 Like

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by erunz(m): 8:46am On Jan 28, 2016
xreal:
oh, so it has gotten to that?
Na so we see am ooo

1 Like

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by erunz(m): 8:47am On Jan 28, 2016
INTROVERT:
"brigade of small angels "....... the man is mean sha..
lol
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by XieXie: 8:48am On Jan 28, 2016
If we continue like this what Africa has seen in Rwanda and Burundi will just be child's play to what Nigeria is cooking up.

3 Likes

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by azyaq(m): 8:51am On Jan 28, 2016
Its a State School and as a serious matter a staff of s
uch places should keep quite or disguise if he/she as anything to say or against d ruling party in d Stat
e.
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by OVI75(m): 8:51am On Jan 28, 2016
APC CNT tolerate the very tins they did few months back.this people(Northerners) messages in mosques are majorly hates speech,if u ask very wellGen.Mhmd buhari is the grand patron of hate speech,rmeber the dog and baboon analogy.

6 Likes

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by ademega(m): 8:52am On Jan 28, 2016
those kind comments could not be joked with in such environment
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by OVI75(m): 8:54am On Jan 28, 2016
azyaq:
Its a State School and as a serious matter a staff of s
uch places should keep quite or disguise if he/she as anything to say or against d ruling party in d Stat
e.
The people wu incited violence and hates speeches prior the gen election were workin fr world organisation abi,they were nt workn fr feds organization and states organization.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by Ezenwammadu(m): 9:03am On Jan 28, 2016
APC is a cult that can can't stomach what they dished out

Useless party that worships a useless god called buby

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by erunz(m): 9:08am On Jan 28, 2016
OVI75:

The people wu incited violence and hates speeches prior the gen election were workin fr world organisation abi,they were nt workn fr feds organization and states organization.
I THOUGHT POST ON YOUR FACEBOOK WAR ARE YOUR PERSONAL VIEWS, HOW IS THIS INCITING.

EL-RUFAI ONCE SAID. ANYONE ONE KILL A FULANI MAN HAS TAKEN A DEBT AND MUST PAY FOR IT. WHO ARRESTED HIM

2 Likes

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by hardywaltz(m): 9:11am On Jan 28, 2016
When Seraki Dickson refused to pay 500 workers the wailers said it's ok and that Civil Servants were not allowed to engage in politics.
But now this foolish man is suspended for inciting violence and violating Civil Service rules but he is a small angel while APC is the devil.

2 Likes

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by sdindan: 9:12am On Jan 28, 2016
hmmmmm. APC!
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by dustmalik: 9:13am On Jan 28, 2016
hardywaltz:
When Seraki Dickson refused to pay 500 workers the wailers said it's ok and that Civil Servants were not allowed to engage in politics.
But now this foolish man is suspended for inciting violence and violating Civil Service rules but he is a small angel while APC is the devil.
Don't mind the useless wailers. In fact, the 500 workers were also suspended for supporting APC, and these same foolish wailers hailed Dickson for the decision.

2 Likes

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by Riodiao(m): 9:15am On Jan 28, 2016
but the lecturer said the perfect facts and truth.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by Firefire(m): 9:20am On Jan 28, 2016
APC, the evil & wicked party.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by demarc001: 9:26am On Jan 28, 2016
If I talk my own fit be Sack
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by NobleAngell(f): 9:29am On Jan 28, 2016
We are gradually losing our freedom of expression. We are all entitled to our opinions.
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by free13: 10:23am On Jan 28, 2016
erunz:
The Kaduna State University has suspended one of its senior lecturers for posting a Facebook comment deemed as hate speech.
In December, John Danfulani stirred controversy by lashing at supporters of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, northern leaders, and President Muhammadu Buhari. He also mocked the large number of out-of-school children in the north.
Part of his Facebook post post said, [/b]“To them, APC is a religious party. Northern leaders under the party are demigods and crusaders of their ways of life. These people living in dusty villages of Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara, Kano, Jigawa are quick in calling you ‘Arne or Kafiri’ (Meaning Pagan) once you express your view on anything their God PMB and his brigade of small Angels are doing. Attack the attacker, and lets the skies fall”.[b]
Mr. Danfulani confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES that he authored the post, which was widely circulated among Kaduna residents.
He subsequently deleted his Facebook page. Mr. Danfulani is believed to be currently out of the country.
Mr. John said he was not furnished with details of his offence.
“It is a large world of dozens of platforms, most of which are yet to be in full practice in Nigeria. I have pages that upload my opinions on multifaceted local and international issues when my conscience and spirit direct me to do so,” he wrote.
“Because of this, I do not know on which of the platforms the piece that generated this query was hoisted because your query did not contain such details.”
He added: “My wall, updates and writings in the social media are all in my private capacity and not in my official capacity as a Lecturer with the University”.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/197546-kaduna-university-suspends-lecturer-facebook-hate-speech.html#.VqmqJ_TPapk.twitter
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by Nobody: 10:28am On Jan 28, 2016
erunz:
I THOUGHT POST ON YOUR FACEBOOK WAR ARE YOUR PERSONAL VIEWS, HOW IS THIS INCITING.

EL-RUFAI ONCE SAID. ANYONE ONE KILL A FULANI MAN HAS TAKEN A DEBT AND MUST PAY FOR IT. WHO ARRESTED HIM

They are personal.....however, there is a trend among employers, and not only in Nigeria....to look at what you post on Facebook,and to make decisions on whether to employ or to sack you on your postings.

While the University should not have fired him,if he wanted to make comments like that....he should have done so anonymously.Especially as his comments could be seen as incendiary.
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by Nobody: 10:29am On Jan 28, 2016
Issues arising

1.Employers now look at your facebook page....so you better be careful about what you post there.If you want to make ''controversial'' comments....use Nairaland. smiley

2.The worker should not have been sacked. He made controversial comments , yes...but he made them in his private capacity, and not in his capacity as a Kaduna State University official/lecturer. He has a good case at the courts for reinstatement.

3,HOWEVER.....his comments were inflammatory. The North has a long history of religious and tribal disturbances....especially since 2000....so Northern governors do not look kindly on comments veering into tribal issues. The chap critiqued APC....fine....but his critique strayed into religious and tribal sentiments. Now....it is important to emphasize that Nigerians should be tolerant of all views...including offensive views....and if someone makes a comment insulting our religious beleifs,or tribe....sometimes ignoring such people is the best policy. Unfortunately....we have too many strong-heads in this country....not only in the North....so sometimes....sacrificing one lecturer'sjob is a small price to pay for keeping thousands alive.(And the last thing the North needs is another ethno-religious crisis....not when Boko is still active.)

4.Something has to be done about the whole Middle Belt-Far north division.It was on display during the last election...and the only reason why the middle belt did not vote PDP overwhelmingly was because some of the PDP middle belt governors were awful.Still....the fact that Plateau,Kogi and Benue have APC governors does not mean all is well. Wounds have to be healed.

MODIFIED AT 1.50PM....THE SEVEN COMMON SOCIAL MEDIA MISTAKES THAT CAN COST YOU YOUR JOB.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 28, 2016
Amazing decision
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by Nobody: 10:37am On Jan 28, 2016
Keneking:
Amazing decision

u no go put monkey picture for ur post? cheesy
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by OlujobaSamuel: 10:41am On Jan 28, 2016
same fate should befall anyone engaged in such act. from bayelsa to kaduna. You can't be on my payroll and be for my opponent nor insult my kids just because they think their father's family is the best on planet earth. if you want to criticize, do it with sense and don't insult the intelligibility of others.
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by GworoChewinMaga: 10:49am On Jan 28, 2016
The scales are slowly coming down from their eyes in the north.
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 10:53am On Jan 28, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:
same fate should befall anyone engaged in such act. from bayelsa to kaduna. You can't be on my payroll and be for my opponent nor insult my kids just because they think their father's family is the best on planet earth. if you want to criticize, do it with sense and don't insult the intelligibility of others.

the money paid to workers belong to every citizen of the state, it does not belong to the governor
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by Trailblazer1(m): 11:11am On Jan 28, 2016
Its a shame APC cannot tolerate any form of opposition

If the same treatment was meted out to them, then PDP should be in power by now undecided
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by Trailblazer1(m): 11:12am On Jan 28, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

You made no sense undecided
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by Trailblazer1(m): 11:14am On Jan 28, 2016
dustmalik:

Don't mind the useless wailers. In fact, the 500 workers were also suspended for supporting APC, and these same foolish wailers hailed Dickson for the decision.

You're one of the reasons Nigeria will never get better
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by MzPecs(f): 11:25am On Jan 28, 2016
Really?
Re: Kaduna University Suspends Lecturer For Criticising APC On Facebook by Trailblazer1(m): 11:40am On Jan 28, 2016
hardywaltz:

You're here fighting the wailers rather than fight for the betterment of Nigeria.
May posterity judge you rightly

(1) (2) (Reply)

Don’t Confront My Administration, Buhari Warns Niger Delta Militants / EFCC Arrest Pastor Ize Iyamu Again, Edo PDP Chair, Dan Orbih Detained For 2 Days / Trump Bad Mouths Nigeria Again, Calls Buhari ‘insensible’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.