Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,093 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard (22269 Views)

President Buhari Mistakenly Submits Jonathan's Budget To Senate-"Vanguard" / Grazing Bill Passes First Reading In The Senate - Vanguard / Buhari Sends Second Batch Of Ministerial List To The Senate (PIX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by Nobody: 9:28am On Jan 28, 2016

ABUJA —PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari, yesterday, sent his first two executive bills to the Senate, seeking to prohibit money laundering and criminal activities in the country.

The bills are:”The Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Bill, 2016″ and “The Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters Bill, 2016.”

Buhari, in a letter to the the Senate and addresed to the Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki, said he was introducing the bills for formal consideration and enactment into law by the legislature.

In the letter read by Saraki, during plenary, Buhari informed that the first bill provides for the repeal of Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 as amended in 2012.

He explained that the bill would “make comprehensive provisions to prohibit the laundering of criminal activities, expand the scope of money laundering, and provide protection for employees of various institutions, bodies and professions who may discover money laundering”.

On the second bill, President Buhari said it “seeks to facilitate the provision and obtaining by Nigeria of international assistance in criminal matters.”

These, he stressed, include the provision and obtaining of evidence and things, and the making of arrangements for persons to give evidence or assist in criminal investigations.

He further stated that the bill seeks “the recovery, forfeiture or confiscation of property in respect of offences, the restraining of dealings in property or the freezing of assets that may be recovered, forfeited or confiscated in respect of offences.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/buhari-sends-money-laundering-criminal-activities-bills-to-senate/

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by INTROVERT(f): 9:30am On Jan 28, 2016
ok

1 Like

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by Ajibo111(m): 9:30am On Jan 28, 2016
MODIFIED.......

this lady above me must be a w**ch , so she beat me to ftc

1 Like

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by SUPERPACK: 9:34am On Jan 28, 2016
i concur

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by dustmalik: 9:40am On Jan 28, 2016
This is an excellent development. These bills would go a long way in helping the fight against corruption. With such bills, the FG doesn't have to fight corrupt individuals directly. The system would simply take care of them. I see what Buhari did there, nice one. The only worry is, will the corrupt Saraki, who sits at the helm of affairs at the National assembly, allow the passage of these bills?

92 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by modath(f): 9:40am On Jan 28, 2016
PMB is on a long thing, grin cheesy , when e Taya, e go come carry hin paper!

Saraki is supposed to see these bills come alive abi?? Same house we have Jang, Ochendo, Dino, Akpabio, Goje etc.. A nor fit laugh!! cheesy

Like PIB, like Anti money Laundering bill...

The paper the bills are on will turn brown in that NASS!!

Anything that is for the benefit of the nation does not find favour with our lawbreakers..

Awon oloriburuku someborry.

68 Likes

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by kelvincoll(m): 9:42am On Jan 28, 2016
Now thats whats up! cool

This Bill will savage the future of this country Only if our legislooter would concur embarassed

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by Nobody: 10:04am On Jan 28, 2016
Where is lalasticlala sef?

”The Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Bill, 2016″ and “The Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters Bill, 2016.” shocked shocked shocked

- This is Prof's handiwork, amazing proposal grin

30 Likes

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by Progressive01(m): 10:12am On Jan 28, 2016
Would the Senate support a bill that seeks to curb their illegal activities?? I pretty much doubt it.

26 Likes

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by modath(f): 10:13am On Jan 28, 2016
Keneking:
Where is lalasticlala sef?

”The Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Bill, 2016″ and “The Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters Bill, 2016.” shocked shocked shocked

- This is Prof's handiwork, amazing proposal grin

My mere commissioner of life, no empty barrel tinz, in the background making Change happen (Pun intended) smiley

I so desire to see these bills be passed into law but with our legislathieves, one just must learn not to entertain hope!! They are the real enemies of the nation aswear!!!

Imagine, I just discovered the present law only allows for a 2yr jail term & doesn't even protect whistle blowers.... totally untenable.

BTW, where do you find these ya primates sef, never fails to elicit a chuckle from me.. cheesygringrin

15 Likes

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 28, 2016
let's all be sincere...do we need the Senates ? Me think they are just drain pipes of public funds

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by amaechi1: 10:18am On Jan 28, 2016
This is where all our voice should count, except for those that loves corruption. Every well meaning Nigerian should join Mr President now to keep this senators on their toes until they pass the bill.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by sweetgala(m): 10:24am On Jan 28, 2016
Great idea, but I doubt the legislathieves knowing they would be sharpening the axe used to behead them for their corruption will action this bills

They'll seat on it and make some excuses like PIB which has sat there for over 2 years now

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by OlujobaSamuel: 10:27am On Jan 28, 2016
this is why PMB should have tried to have a say on who leads the house, am not those criminals will let this Bills scale through.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by Nobody: 10:33am On Jan 28, 2016
Where is Ben Bruce?

12 Likes

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 28, 2016
This is nice, we are waiting for the one for a special court to try corruption cases.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by dammytosh: 11:04am On Jan 28, 2016
modath:

PMB is on a long thing, grin cheesy , when e Taya, e go come carry hin paper!

Saraki is supposed to see these bills come alive abi?? Same house we have Jang, Ochendo, Dino, Akpabio, Goje etc.. A nor fit laugh!! cheesy

Like PIB, like Anti money Laundering bill...

The paper the bills are on will turn brown in that NASS!!

Anything that is for the benefit of the nation does not find favour with our lawbreakers..

Awon oloriburuku someborry.

I laughed when i saw the details of the bills.

That sh*t aint seeing the light of the day.

Senate President : On trial for corruption

Deputy Senate President : on trial for forging

Majority Leader sadndume) was on trial for being a boko haram accomplice

Minority Leader (akpabio) ongoing massive corruption investigations

In the usual fashion, when Obasanjo called them corrupt and rogue, the masses ignored the message and are happy to ask "Are u not a thief too ?"

---and i kept wondering how deep poverty has affected the way we reason.

Senator Bruce Obamanikoro will not put this on facebook and push it. Yet he claim he just want to make common sense.

With all due respect, Bruce is not making any common sense. Bruce is paving way for his political future as PDP Vice Presidential Candidate or Bayelsa State Governor. (Note this comment in the future)

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by Udopasa: 11:15am On Jan 28, 2016
Lai mohammed, your expertise is needed here. Every form of arm twisting and publicity must be adopted to force the National Assembly to expeditiously pass these bills. Credible and famous voices(Soyinka, Falana, Agbakoba, Odumakin, Ezekwesili, Soludo, Obasanjo, Odumegwu, et al) across the country must lend their voices to these bills. We should and must get it right this time.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by shaddoww: 11:22am On Jan 28, 2016
I guess he sent OBJ to write dat letter before sending dis bill

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by coninse: 11:35am On Jan 28, 2016
It is ready sad that Nigerians decided to give this man a chance to govern at a very old age. This president has perfect hatred for corruption and he is ready to kill it at all cost. For any country to grow economically , corruption must give way. How I wish he is much younger and has all the strength to carry on for the next 8 yrs! Nigeria would have become a model for all other African countries under his leadership. A great president!!

82 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by pat077: 11:44am On Jan 28, 2016
Waiting for d senathugs to approve d bill is like telling a cat to make law that rat must not be consume.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by bamite(m): 11:44am On Jan 28, 2016
747: 50000 naira awaits who can decipher that code wink
Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by moscobabs(m): 11:45am On Jan 28, 2016
bad news for wailers

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by mccoy47(m): 11:47am On Jan 28, 2016
Sai baba.. prevention is better than cure
Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by mekonglobal(m): 11:47am On Jan 28, 2016
Gbam.... good move in the right direction!
Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 28, 2016
Triple x
Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by KenVlog: 11:48am On Jan 28, 2016
Corruption killer

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by Nobody: 11:49am On Jan 28, 2016
The bill has not been clearly spelt out but it is a good development.

Nigerians are tired of all these thieving politicians stealing from the treasury. To eradicate corruption completely all these ex-political office holders must explain without any shred of doubt how they obtained their wealth. Including OBJ and IBB

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by TippyTop(m): 11:50am On Jan 28, 2016
ANW (All na Wash)

Alert me when Bubu returns the $2.8bil big ones he stashed at Midlands bank in the 80s.
Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by Nobody: 11:51am On Jan 28, 2016
if this can be approved by the thieves in that house then its a good development...i stand for fair and balanced prosecution of corrupt politicians..the question is:: would the assemblage of thieves in the senate take the bill with all seriousness

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Sends Money Laundering, Criminal Activities Bills To Senate-vanguard by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:52am On Jan 28, 2016
This bill is a welcome development. I hope those clowns in NASS don't play politics with it

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP Raises Alarm Over Plots To Impeach Fayose / Ohaneze Says Denying SE Presidency Is A National Catastrophe And A Calamity / Remi Tinubu Visits Senator Aliyu Wamakko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.